3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dingdongs

Eating disorders/body image/fat acceptance

Mr_Rager

It's true though. You can't let everyone be a hamplanet, nobody would get anything done! I'm sorry, but as a former fat guy, with a family that's fat, it creates a culture of laziness. And by the way, being fat killed my confidence levels. I was content to sit on my ass and jerk off for the rest of eternity. Most successful people aren't fat, they have the confidence to do what they want to do. This triggers me. It shouldn't ever be acceptable to sit down and eat all day and respect them more than the person who's fit. Hell, even the same amount of respect isn't ideal.

I'm a diabetic. Why? Obesity as a kid.

I had high blood pressure as a kid. Why? Obesity.

I couldn't keep up with the other children. It was horrible! The bullying, name-calling, all horrible. But I'll be damned if I let my children grow up to be fat just because we're accepting everyone and everything, f*ck that. Exercise should be encouraged, and beauty standards are there because I want to pass my genes onto a healthy mate. Fat isn't beautiful, at least not to me. And not to most people, either.

Clem Fandango

Wait, Canadian Badass, was Ruebens against nature? You're confusing trends for natural attraction. And believe it or not, trends are somethin we have a serious amount of control over.

Well I have my own theory here, and I don't think it is a controlled trend, but actually quite natural to find fatness unattractive right now.

When we were primitive hunter gatherers, fatness wouldn't have been seen as attractive, because it would have meant you'd be weaker and slower and worse at hunting. A strong athletic build would have been most desirable because that would be the best for ensuring the survival of the species. Then when we started organising into advanced societies and civilisations, fatness was actually seen as attractive because it meant you were rich and could provide. Although even then, excess fatness was rare to be seen as desirable, it was usually being a bit plump that was most desirable.

Now in our modern western societies, everyone is capable of providing plenty of food, so being fat is not a status symbol any longer and not seen as desirable. Now, people are attracted to wealth, or a good personality or good looks, or a combination. Fatness is seen instead as exemplifying a lack of self control and discipline, and from a purely aesthetic point of view, it is not regarded as being attractive. Fatness was usually found attractive for what it represented, not what it was. What is aesthetically pleasing is obviously subjective, as a general principle, but some things are more naturally more objective. And fatness, objectively speaking, is less aesthetically pleasing. As I said, when it has been widely seen as desirable it has been for what it represents, not for what it is.

Chubby was the standard of beauty in the West until like 130 years ago. What, we just made one too many machines and suddenly we hated fat people?

For the millionth time, it isn't about fat. It's about holding up thin as an ideal. There are scores of anthropological books and papers written on the subject. I've never read one that came anywhere close to supporting all that. Also your 'theory' is essentially conventional wisdom. It's what everybody says when they realise the Louvre is full of love handles.

Otter

CB, I respect that, but you must realize, I'm sure, that all chubby folks are not chubby for the same lazy-as-f*ck reasons you were, though, right?

Condemning gluttony, laziness, moochery - I can get on board. But it is far too simplistic to instantly blame these things for people being overweight.

Even obese; you may not know many successful people, so your pool of obese wunderkind pals is probably considerably more shallow than mine: I know quite a few larger folks who pull in significant dough and live the fantastic lives that add a little to their already impressively plus-sized waistlines. It is a complete fallacy to equate weight with success in life.

Flesh-n-Bone
You hate women.

Right, I didn't expect any better from you anyways. :rol:

I find you f*cking repulsive.

tumblr_lo1qh68nVL1qzgmxb.gif

Otter

This is D&D; if you can't post up to standards - return to Genchat. (This goes to MTD as well).

Flesh-n-Bone

I would, but when Melchior gives you precisely nothing to respond to, that's the most I can say. It is best if I just stop responding to him since his replies are nothing more than silly one sentences and insults.

Clem Fandango

I would, but when Melchior gives you precisely nothing to respond to, that's the most I can say. It is best if I just stop responding to him since his replies are nothing more than silly one sentences and insults.

Go read through the thread if you want to read all the paragraphs I've written on the subject. But I don't like repeating myself and there's only so much sh*t I can wade through.

Edited by Melchior

Clem Fandango

I said body image disorders not eating disorders. An eating disorder like bulimia or anorexia or binge eating is unhealthy and does damage to your body. Whereas feeling disatisfied and unhappy with your obese body is a good thing, and it definitely is a contributor to people losing weight and getting to a healthy size.

So it's good for people to hate themselves? What about people who don't have eating disorders, but their low self worth leads to addictions like self-harm? That's good, just a necessary evil so you don't have to look at fat people?

Absurdity

We live in a gluttonous society; we have nothing to fear from the perceived excesses of the chubby,

Au contraire. fat people are fat because their status quo is to eat a lot and not move- so how useful would encouraging such indulgence be to a culture that requires a sedentary citizenry?

Also look at the people in this thread pretending overeating isn't an eating dissorder. As if there aren't underlying issues that cause people to seek comfort from food. And that by encouraging the symptoms youre not also encouraging the disease.

Edited by Rusty Balls

Otter

How fat are you talking, Rusty? what universe are you living in where all fat people are entirely sedentary? And how does the removal of shaming equate to a promotion? And furthermore, how do you reconcile this with the scenario I presented you above?

Mr_Rager

CB, I respect that, but you must realize, I'm sure, that all chubby folks are not chubby for the same lazy-as-f*ck reasons you were, though, right?

Condemning gluttony, laziness, moochery - I can get on board. But it is far too simplistic to instantly blame these things for people being overweight.

Even obese; you may not know many successful people, so your pool of obese wunderkind pals is probably considerably more shallow than mine: I know quite a few larger folks who pull in significant dough and live the fantastic lives that add a little to their already impressively plus-sized waistlines. It is a complete fallacy to equate weight with success in life.

But I'm afraid the majority of internet people pushing it are just lazy. Man I'd never say I hate fat people or that they can't be successful

Y7EtJci.jpg.

:D

My problem with it, is having laziness & gluttony accepted - yes it's good to be sympathic with people with thyroid issues. I knew a kid growing up who had to take anabolic steriods and he's f*cking huge now, fat & height.

GTA_stu

Chubby was the standard of beauty in the West until like 130 years ago. What, we just made one too many machines and suddenly we hated fat people?

For the millionth time, it isn't about fat. It's about holding up thin as an ideal. There are scores of anthropological books and papers written on the subject. I've never read one that came anywhere close to supporting all that. Also your 'theory' is essentially conventional wisdom. It's what everybody says when they realise the Louvre is full of love handles.

As I already said, "chubby" was seen as more attractive back then than it is now because food was harder to come by. We didn't make too many machines, we just developed into a society where everyone has access to lots of food. So being fat no longer means anything status wise. It has therefore lost it's appeal. It wasn't the standard of beauty either. The voluptuous woman with an hourglass figure, has been more popular historically in the West and considered better than being just fat or chubby. Being a normal healthy weight was considered more beautiful than being outright fat as well, and even being slender and skinny was better than being too fat. Paintings generally showed very few fat women, and even fewer fat men. They showed full figured women, with single chins and no rolls of fat, and athletic and muscular men. Apart from Rubens who was a certified fat fetishist.

What's wrong with thin as an ideal? Thin is healthy. Being too thin obviously isn't, but being too fat is a much bigger issue in our societies than being too thin.

So it's good for people to hate themselves? What about people who don't have eating disorders, but their low self worth leads to addictions like self-harm? That's good, just a necessary evil so you don't have to look at fat people?

It's not society's fault if some unhappy fat person starts cutting themself, it's the person's fault for getting in that state. It's like if a smoker is unhappy that they stink of smoke and have bad teeth and yellow fingers, it's not society's fault they feel bad about it, it's theirs for smoking. People should take responsibility for their actions more, and not shift the blame onto others.

Do you think society should encourage unhealthy lifestyles choices and stay silent just so people who make bad decisions don't have to feel guilty about it?

Edited by GTA_stu

Absurdity

what universe are you living in where all fat people are entirely sedentary?

Oh hey there Otter. I don't know if we're in the same one but I'm in the part of the galaxy where everyone is just sitting in rows, filling out forms, working jobs they hate to buy sh*t that they do not need or want to impress people they don't like while they coast down to an early grave, apathetic, confused and alone. But hey, at least the food is good enough to take our minds off it.

Clem Fandango

As I already said, "chubby" was seen as more attractive back then than it is now because food was harder to come by.

Maybe partially. But there's a million factors. Which you would know if you'd done even a second of research on the topic.

At any rate I've never seen anyone in an academic context successfully argue that we hate fat people because we subconsciously know how lazy and greedy they are. I've never even seen anyone try, unsurprisingly.

. It wasn't the standard of beauty either. The voluptuous woman with an hourglass figure, has been more popular historically in the West and considered better than being just fat or chubby. Being a normal healthy weight was considered more beautiful than being outright fat as well, and even being slender and skinny was better than being too fat. Paintings generally showed very few fat women, and even fewer fat men. They showed full figured women, with single chins and no rolls of fat, and athletic and muscular men. Apart from Rubens who was a certified fat fetishist.

Whatever. Still considered 'chubby' by modern standards. I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

What's wrong with thin as an ideal?

Sounds like you need to read the entire topic again. If you're asking at this stage in the game, you aren't paying attention.

Aquilus

lol "misogynistic". Not this PC bullsh*t again.

You hate women.

For what it's worth, I find being fat repulsive regardless of gender

I find you f*cking repulsive.

You wouldn't know what a real misogynist is even if your boyfriend punched you in the eye because he has abandonment issues.

sh*t at one point in my life when I was like 8 or 9 years old I was pretty fat. But i turned whatever negative comment thrown at me into motivation and got that weight off of me. I'd encourage other lazy saps to do the same so people can stop making fun of them and come crying and complaining,

Mr_Rager

You don't agree with me, therefore you're ignorant and need to do more research. Please. What Stu said is correct.

Absurdity

Yup. we should. When we idolize thin fundamentally what we are actually championing is the attribute of consuming less (energy) than what is being exerted. Which is why the person is thin. In our minds it is someone who gives more to others than they take. While we stigmatize fat not because of the esthetics of it but because behind the rolls of fat is someone who is consuming more than they exert. it is someone in our minds who taking more than they are giving. (as a blanket general rule whot not)

Seriously what the f*ck do you know?

I know who my enemy is. While you wander aimlessly, impotent, chirping anything that you think goes against the status quo. Take ur meds Melc.

Aquilus

Yup. we should. When we idolize thin fundamentally what we are actually championing is the attribute of consuming less (energy) than what is being exerted. Which is why the person is thin. In our minds it is someone who gives more to others than they take. While we stigmatize fat not because of the esthetics of it but because behind the rolls of fat is someone who is consuming more than they exert. it is someone in our minds who taking more than they are giving. (as a blanket general rule whot not)

Seriously what the f*ck do you know?

I know who my enemy is. While you wander aimlessly, impotent, chirping anything that you think goes against the status quo. Take ur meds Melc.

When you put it the way you do we should idolize being thinner. We did that many years ago. I don't know what changed.

Clem Fandango

I know who my enemy is.

Your laughable hodgepodge of a political ideology suggests otherwise.

Otter

Gentlemen, reduce the heat to a 2 or 3, please. This isn't the Republican Debates mkay.

Mr_Rager

Gentlemen, reduce the heat to a 2 or 3, please. This isn't the Republican Debates mkay.

The answer to the fat acceptance question could be the key to colonizing space. :D

GTA_stu

As I already said, "chubby" was seen as more attractive back then than it is now because food was harder to come by.

Maybe partially. But there's a million factors. Which you would know if you'd done even a second of research on the topic.

At any rate I've never seen anyone in an academic context successfully argue that we hate fat people because we subconsciously know how lazy and greedy they are. I've never even seen anyone try, unsurprisingly.

Did I say it was the only factor? No. I'd argue it is the main one however, and my point is perfectly relevant and valid.

I don't know why you keep bringing up how much l33t in depth research you've done and how much comparitively little I've (apparently) done, but it's got bugger all to do with the subject at hand and is just a pathetic attempt to undermine what I'm saying without actually addressing my points. Ditto with the appeals to authority.

Whatever. Still considered 'chubby' by modern standards. I'm not sure what point you think you're making.

What's wrong with thin as an ideal?

Sounds like you need to read the entire topic again. If you're asking at this stage in the game, you aren't paying attention.

You haven't actually addressed my points at all or made a counter argument. You seem to be more concerned with stupid point scoring and snippy remarks and completely dismissing what I'm saying without addressing it, than actually debating like a grown up.

Clem Fandango

It's not society's fault if some unhappy fat person starts cutting themself, it's the person's fault for getting in that state.

This is sick. like this is just such a terrible thing to say. what is the matter with you?

Do you think society should encourage unhealthy lifestyles choices and stay silent just so people who make bad decisions don't have to feel guilty about it?

Okay so not tormenting people over something that doesn't affect you and may or may or be their own fault is 'promoting an unhealthy lifestyle'? And why should anyone feel guilty about being fat? People don't feel gui... oh f*ck this and f*ck you. I'm done listening to your sh*t. You're a sad joke of a human being.

Mr_Rager

Unless someone is holding you down in a chair, forcing your mouth wide open, and jamming Doritos & industrial lard down your throat, it's your fault. I was depressed. I ate. I could have exercised. Or if you've got a medical condition, of course.

Edited by Canadian Badass

Clem Fandango

I've come very close to losing people I love because of fat phobia. And almost nobody I think is beautiful sees what I see. I'm done with this thread, it's too upsetting. I wish the worst upon the lot you.

Edited by Melchior

Mr_Rager

I've come very close to losing people I love because of fat phobia. And almost nobody I think is beautiful sees what I see. I'm done with this thread, it's too upsetting. I wish the worst upon the lot you.

I hope you find peace.

Otter

Unless someone is holding you down in a chair, forcing your mouth wide open, and jamming Doritos & industrial lard down your throat, it's your fault. I was depressed. I ate. I could have exercised. Or if you've got a medical condition, of course.

OK, sorry to make this personal, but did you spend your adult life working your ass off (literally) and fighting to overcome your own self-image issues because you wanted to to prove those bullies in elementary school wrong or prove them right? If your kid is a chubby child are you going to encourage the same insults being thrown at him or would you recognize the destructive, self-fullfilling prophesy they promote?

Most overweight people are not morbidly obese, they are just larger. They don't overeat (in fact many chubby gals obsess over what they allow themselves to eat) and work desperately to get in shape. All to impress dickheads who wouldn't value them as human beings until they can wear a pair of Lulu leggings.

We can talk about the "People of Walmart" as a separate issue, obviously there are extremes and there's no shortage of lazy people out there. But weight is one small part of that equation (even if it's the most visiually apparent).

Mr_Rager

Well if they treated me like a useless fat turd, and now I'm not a useless fat turd, I suppose I proved them wrong, no?

I'm not going to fully understand body image issues. Because I'm not a woman, never will be a woman. It's a different game. I don't take issue with somebody with a bit of chub on them, like as long as you aren't struggling to keep up when walking, or generally uncomfortable because of all the weight on your joints, it's all good. You see, if I had a child, I'd be active with them. f*ck the video games and the junk food. I'd try and get them into sports. I'd love them either way, but I'd want my son to get a girlfriend in high school, play sports - not in a projecting my ideal lifestyle onto them, but just a general quality of life sort of thing. We all want(ed) friends and people to think you're attractive. We're social creatures.

Remember, it's calories in, calories out for most people. If you eat more than you burn off, well, you'll get fat. There's exceptions of course. I think you're underrating how many lazy fat people are out there. Go to a groccery store. You'll see fatty foods and soda on sale, dirt cheap. Go to a restuarant. You'll recieve a ridiculously big portion. Laziness is soooo prominent in your generation. Part of it is the awful food. Part of it is the way we raise our children. Can't tell them to lose weight, that's not body positive. If I inject heroin daily, I'm ashamed, just like if I eat junk food all the time. They're both addictions. I see what you mean though man. Maybe my views are a bit distorted because of having to deal with being obese. Might have made me a bit bitter.

Otter

Remember, it's calories in, calories out for most people.

...except it's not that simple at all, as proven by much of the latest research on the matter. Yes, it's true - you didn't see a lot of fat folks in prison camps, for instance; but is this what society requires of people in order to be treated without shame? To live a life of starvation and continual sacrifice?

You proved the bullies right, in essence, by agreeing with them that being fat is something to ridicule. That's a pragmatic and sad way of looking at it, but it's apparent from the outside. Again, I ask how you'd react to your kids receiving the same treatment. Or, if you were a skinny kid, if you'd feel justified tormenting a chubby kid. Is that why you lost the weight at all? Should it be??

Mr_Rager

But when I lost the weight my blood pressure went down, my confidence went up, and my quality of life changed dramatically. So thank f*ck kids beat me up for being a fat turd. Well, no, that's not the right way to be, but I learned a lesson from it. That if you don't respect your body, people aren't going to respect you. Is it right? No. Nothing in life is right, or fair. It just is.