3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Dingdongs

Eating disorders/body image/fat acceptance

Aquilus

Generally when I look at fat people I could say they are pathetic in the way they just let themselves go and anything that gets said to them or at them is kinda right in the sense of them being fat and lazy and not caring about their body. Why would society encourage thinking that big is beautiful? It isn't. Unless you think having high cholesterol, chance of a heart attack, diabetes, amputation from such issues, blindness, not being able to move, and having more chins than a Chinese phone book is attractive. Way how I see it, shut those f*ckers down and stop encouraging such bull. Nobody wants to be something with a shortened life span.

Why shouldn't he be able to help his (grand)children with his own money?

Why should society be structured in such a way that some people are born with advantages that others are not?

Why not? It's my choice. If I wish to bestow my wealth upon my children, that's my choice. Again or you must advocate robbing the dead?

If we're interested in 'rewarding hard work and initiative' then surely inheritance flies in the face of all that?

I said society rewarding hard work and initiative. Inheritance is within the family, aside from a reasonable tax no one outside of that family has any business deciding what the deceased can do with his money.

Also, I don't recognise it as 'his money', I recognise it as a portion of society's resources.

That's too bad, because it is his money, in his account. Money I might add, for which he worked his ass off for years and years. To address an example a bit more close to home: family owned a successful local store, son of the storeowner was a military man who spent almost every waking minute off working in the store. This resulted in a not insignificant amount which was later invested in property and passed on to the son of the military man, who build upon it and put everything in the name of his son. How dare family members help each other out, they should be positively ashamed of themselves!

if I was hell bent on defending an illegitimate form of social organisation.

Nothing illegitimate about giving your children your own goddamn money.

+1. That's what American society is built. The choice of whether or not to let your children inherit your funds or not. What's so bad about this? It's free trade in it's purest by heritage and inheritance, this is what America is.

Abel.

Posting in response to Aquilus here:

To play devil's advocate, saying you want to "shut those f*ckers down" (by which I presume you mean "force the fat to become thin") whilst simultaneously championing American values, of which personal freedom is amongst the most integral, seems a bit contradictory.

You can't say to someone: "right, you're vastly overweight, so for everyone's benefit (including your own), off you go to a forced labour camp to shed those extra pounds". We need to do more to incentivise weight loss as a society* and ensure that a healthy diet is not only achievable, but readily accessible. By this I mean introduce more regulations on sugary foods, stop the rampant marketing of kids' junk food and teach kids how to cook proper meals in school (I know students barely capable of cooking a decent meal; the fact that this key life skill isn't taught in home or in school is a disgrace). Rigorous physical education in schools is also a must.

*In my eyes simply not being overweight is enough of an incentive. Honestly not having the fitness to do odd jobs for people, enjoy a bracing run or just get through the day without having to constantly stop for breath would severely limit my quality of life, I don't know about anyone else.

Edited by Total Failure

Aquilus

Posting in response to Aquilus here:

To play devil's advocate, saying you want to "shut those f*ckers down" (by which I presume you mean "force the fat to become thin") whilst simultaneously championing American values, of which personal freedom is amongst the most integral, seems a bit contradictory.

You can't say to someone: "right, you're vastly overweight, so for everyone's benefit (including your own), off you go to a forced labour camp to shed those extra pounds". We need to do more to incentivise weight loss as a society* and ensure that a healthy diet is not only achievable, but readily accessible. By this I mean introduce more regulations on sugary foods, stop the rampant marketing of kids' junk food and teach kids how to cook proper meals in school (I know students barely capable of cooking a decent meal; the fact that this key life skill isn't taught in home or in school is a disgrace). Rigorous physical education in schools is also a must.

*In my eyes simply not being overweight is enough of an incentive. Honestly not having the fitness to do odd jobs for people, enjoy a bracing run or just get through the day without having to constantly stop for breath would severely limit my quality of life, I don't know about anyone else.

But what I meant by shut those f*ckers down. I meant shut the people who keep campaigning the fat is beautiful idea down. I mean come on it's an unhealthy lifestyle. And when they're gone then we can encourage health and fitness properly. But as we know we can't just do a hostile shutdown, just fight their idiocy with logic and every disadvantage of being fat or morbidly obese and how most of the people campaigning are chubby chasers. But as for everything else you're right about that. But as for forced labor- If they really want to lose that weight then that's their choice to push themselves to the limit or over it but I can only say don't come crying to me when you're being picked on or bullied because of your weight. And a nice run once a day whether it be quarter or half mile is good enough and I think anyone can make time in their day to do such activities. After a while your body adapts and you'll find yourself stopping for breath less often. See what I mean? And yeah if our government encourages it more like they did 7 or 6 years ago then we'll be straight. But settling for synthetic pink sludge food is a no go.

Gay Tony

^^

Would juries convicting attractive people less harshly....be justified in this thinking that they work harder to be attractive and have earned that privilege?

Have to say that seems rather arbitrary and certainly not fair.

See where this is going?

Fat people are judged more harshly by courts.

Exactly. This is the idea that concerns me most in this thread when some of you are saying societal privilege is fair merely if you have a fit body. Is....this supposed to apply to a legal system? I mean.....

Edited by mr toasterbutt

Clem Fandango

But what I meant by shut those f*ckers down. I meant shut the people who keep campaigning the fat is beautiful idea down. I mean come on it's an unhealthy lifestyle. And when they're gone then we can encourage health and fitness properly. But as we know we can't just do a hostile shutdown, just fight their idiocy with logic and every disadvantage of being fat or morbidly obese and how most of the people campaigning are chubby chasers.

Logic? The points in this thread are so stupid they make my brain bleed. Including- no, especially yours!

Edited by Melchior

Aquilus

But what I meant by shut those f*ckers down. I meant shut the people who keep campaigning the fat is beautiful idea down. I mean come on it's an unhealthy lifestyle. And when they're gone then we can encourage health and fitness properly. But as we know we can't just do a hostile shutdown, just fight their idiocy with logic and every disadvantage of being fat or morbidly obese and how most of the people campaigning are chubby chasers.

Logic? The points in this thread are so stupid they make my brain bleed. Including- no, especially yours!

You haven't really made much of a point in this thread that hasn't been discussed and proven wrong. At least what I'm doing is telling the truth and not encouraging a lazy and potentially hazardous lifestyle. Come on, don't you at least get tired of seeing fat people everywhere and wondering if this is our future as Americans? Stuck in wheel chairs, not being able to move? I'm not hating them as my best friend is a bit overweight but I encourage him to hit the gym with me and play soccer on the fields because I care.

Edited by Aquilus

Clem Fandango

You haven't really made much of a point in this thread that hasn't been discussed and proven wrong.

Oh? Where was I proven wrong?

Clem Fandango

being a big fat ass is my right as AN AMERICAN

DEALUX

Fat is beautiful.

That pretty much encapsulates what I think is wrong with this whole movement. That sounds like an objective statement and there is no such a thing as objective beauty. I thought that was the point of the movement: to fight against the idea that beauty is a notion that requires consensus.

Fat is only beautiful to those who perceive it as such. It is otherwise a meaningless statement. Also, this movement seems to focus on the idea that "everyone is beautiful" as if beauty is a characteristic so important that you could not live without it. Stop promoting the idea that the value of a human being depends on whether they are perceived as beautiful or not. That's a stupid and harmful idea that is obviously false. You can contribute to society no matter how attractive people think you are and there is more than one way to enjoy life.

Flesh-n-Bone

While I can agree with certain things like not having to feel guilty or shamed for being attracted to fat people, this "fat acceptance" movement is plain ridiculous otherwise. No, being flabby with all that fat hanging off your skin shouldn't become the standard for "beautiful" or promoted by society. And while saying this, I also disagree with "the look" being borderline anorexic which seems to be the case for many girls who look like sticks. That's unhealthy too and I'd certainly not encourage that. This movement is generally about fat women more so than men, so I'll stick with that side of the subject when I mention that men shouldn't have to lower their standards and find fat women attractive. If you're comfortable about being fat, then more power to you, but don't you ever feel entitled to having a fit guy being your man. If you succeed at that, then good for you but don't go and complain about not being able and think that men are somehow in the wrong for not being attracted to your body type. Another thing that gets me about some of the ideas within this movement is "fit shaming" when out of shape people hate on people who work hard to look good and make assumptions like saying they are "insecure", "obsessed with themselves" or saying that "they are missing out" because they don't stuff themselves with fast food 7 days a week. Yeah, how dare someone want to look and feel healthy?

I'd also like to mention that there seems to be a certain double standard concerning the genders. If an obese spotty neckbeard is attracted to a pretty girl, they are called "creepy" but if a fat woman desires a fit guy, she deserves it for her "beauty" and the guy is the "shallow" asshole who needs to appreciate "real women". And if a fat guy is attracted to a fat girl, the latter will complain that only ugly guys like her. You don't have to cater to society with what you look like, but you have to know the consequences of the decisions you make. Know that if you let yourself go and become a lazy couch potato, the amount of people who might find you attractive will be severely limited compared to if you had been exercising and eating right. You get what you give, it's simply how it works.

Absurdity

If you succeed at that, then good for you but don't go and complain about not being able and think that men are somehow in the wrong for not being attracted to your body type.

Ah the proxy war between women. "Real men" like [insert whatever you are] not [insert whatever she is].

All shots taken while still trying to pretend women have a unity between themselves.

Clem Fandango

To play devil's advocate,

Are you playing devil's advocate? You've 'liked' every bit of fat-phobic sludge that's spewed out into this thread so far.

Clem Fandango

That pretty much encapsulates what I think is wrong with this whole movement. That sounds like an objective statement and there is no such a thing as objective beauty. I thought that was the point of the movement: to fight against the idea that beauty is a notion that requires consensus.

Wow you've extrapolated a lot from that statement. I'm not saying fat should be the new standard of beauty.

Also, this movement seems to focus on the idea that "everyone is beautiful" as if beauty is a characteristic so important that you could not live without it. Stop promoting the idea that the value of a human being depends on whether they are perceived as beautiful or not.

Okay, so we should consider nobody beautiful? Or do we just keep idealising thinness? What exactly are you saying because this is all meaningless nonsense to me?

That's a stupid and harmful idea that is obviously false.

You think you know what you're talking about, and that's a stupid and harmful idea that is obviously false.

You can contribute to society no matter how attractive people think you are and there is more than one way to enjoy life.

Are you saying people should suck it up?

Clem Fandango

I'd also like to mention that there seems to be a certain double standard concerning the genders. If an obese spotty neckbeard is attracted to a pretty girl, they are called "creepy" but if a fat woman desires a fit guy, she deserves it for her "beauty" and the guy is the "shallow" asshole who needs to appreciate "real women". And if a fat guy is attracted to a fat girl, the latter will complain that only ugly guys like her.

Who let you in with this misogynistic claptrap?

Abel.

To play devil's advocate,

Are you playing devil's advocate? You've 'liked' every bit of fat-phobic sludge that's spewed out into this thread so far.

Did you read the post? I was replying to Aquilus. I have nothing against fat people and feel bad for the morbidly obese as their quality of life is greatly impeded by their condition.

Clem Fandango

I have nothing against fat people

You liked this post:

In terms of body image disorders, these should be welcomed, generally speaking. If some fat person feels bad for looking fat then society is doing it's job. If it's a person of normal healthy weight who feels bad, then ok that's not good. I agree with banning anorexic and unhealthily underweight models, but not models who are just naturally very skinny.

'Eating disorders are good because they make fat people lose weight.' There is no excuse for having an opinion like that.

GTA_stu

I said body image disorders not eating disorders. An eating disorder like bulimia or anorexia or binge eating is unhealthy and does damage to your body. Whereas feeling disatisfied and unhappy with your obese body is a good thing, and it definitely is a contributor to people losing weight and getting to a healthy size.

Otter

I just wanted to leap in quickly; Irv, you said 1% of the population have disorders that make weight management difficult; I just wanted to assert that this is completely wrong. Just to pick one common disorder off the top of my head, 5-10% of women struggle with PCOD which can make weight management nearly impossible. This is just one disorder - weight management is never as simple as we would like to believe and is demonstrably more difficult for a significant portion of the population.

This all goes to reinforce the notion that we need to remove the value judgement from the argument completely.

Abel.

You liked this post:

In terms of body image disorders, these should be welcomed, generally speaking. If some fat person feels bad for looking fat then society is doing it's job. If it's a person of normal healthy weight who feels bad, then ok that's not good. I agree with banning anorexic and unhealthily underweight models, but not models who are just naturally very skinny.

'Eating disorders are good because they make fat people lose weight.' There is no excuse for having an opinion like that.

Yeah I don't think Stu was on about eating disorders like anorexia nervosa or bulemia, but issues of not feeling comfortable because you're over/underweight. I "liked" his post largely because of the rest of its content. On the one hand I think this is a pretty natural thing--if I were overweight or severely lacking in muscle, then I'd probably want to do something about it; it's just a natural response. Of course on the other hand people really shouldn't feel uncomfortable in their own skin and I'm aware that there exist some people with conditions that prevent them from losing (or in some cases gaining) weight.

Maybe I'm just not expressing myself clearly enough, but I think you're getting the wrong impression here.

Edited by Total Failure

Mr_Rager

I look at it like this.

If I'm fat, I'm not healthy. A woman shouldn't want to mate with an unhealthy person. You get me?

I don't think we should run around beating fat people up lol but remember, if you're not healthy, chances are you'll be ostracized. Because you're different.

Fat acceptance can't work because it's going against nature. As sad as that is for people who are emotional eaters or addicts. I'm saying this as someone who grew up fat. I lost weight in my later years of High School, realized that after you take care of your body, people respect you more. For good reason.

It's crap to me. Never accept being unhealthy.

Aquilus

You liked this post:

'Eating disorders are good because they make fat people lose weight.' There is no excuse for having an opinion like that. he liked it for his own reasons, not because you want him to be fat phobic so you get everyone to join the club.

Otter

Wait, Canadian Badass, was Ruebens against nature? You're confusing trends for natural attraction. And believe it or not, trends are somethin we have a serious amount of control over.

Absurdity

Or do we just keep idealising thinness?

Yup. we should. When we idolize thin fundamentally what we are actually championing is the attribute of consuming less (energy) than what is being exerted. Which is why the person is thin. In our minds it is someone who gives more to others than they take. While we stigmatize fat not because of the esthetics of it but because behind the rolls of fat is someone who is consuming more than they exert. it is someone in our minds who taking more than they are giving. (as a blanket general rule whot not)

This is why "fat shaming" exists and why it should exist. A successful culture to some degree has to fear the gluttons. It's simply not a sustainable situation to have enough people socialized to believe they can consume more than they contribute.

Edited by Rusty Balls

GTA_stu

Wait, Canadian Badass, was Ruebens against nature? You're confusing trends for natural attraction. And believe it or not, trends are somethin we have a serious amount of control over.

Well I have my own theory here, and I don't think it is a controlled trend, but actually quite natural to find fatness unattractive right now.

When we were primitive hunter gatherers, fatness wouldn't have been seen as attractive, because it would have meant you'd be weaker and slower and worse at hunting. A strong athletic build would have been most desirable because that would be the best for ensuring the survival of the species. Then when we started organising into advanced societies and civilisations, fatness was actually seen as attractive because it meant you were rich and could provide. Although even then, excess fatness was rare to be seen as desirable, it was usually being a bit plump that was most desirable.

Now in our modern western societies, everyone is capable of providing plenty of food, so being fat is not a status symbol any longer and not seen as desirable. Now, people are attracted to wealth, or a good personality or good looks, or a combination. Fatness is seen instead as exemplifying a lack of self control and discipline, and from a purely aesthetic point of view, it is not regarded as being attractive. Fatness was usually found attractive for what it represented, not what it was. What is aesthetically pleasing is obviously subjective, as a general principle, but some things are more naturally more objective. And fatness, objectively speaking, is less aesthetically pleasing. As I said, when it has been widely seen as desirable it has been for what it represents, not for what it is.

Otter

Rusty, So people who suffer from a disorder should, I dunno, wear a shirt that says 'I have an excuse for being fat please don't shame me'?

Rusty, you can only reduce so much down to your 'common-sense' approach before you're throwing intelligence out with the bathwater in a misguided effort to avoid being politically correct.

We live in a gluttonous society; we have nothing to fear from the perceived excesses of the chubby, so your ridiculous argument holds no practical water, either. You could use the same logic to shame someone who has a larger house than others and I doubt that aligns with your politics one iota.

Stu, Misread you, whoops

Flesh-n-Bone

Who let you in with this misogynistic claptrap?

lol "misogynistic". Not this PC bullsh*t again. It's not like I'm making any of it up, you can just look around the internet and see for yourself. I've seen all of that play out in articles, blogs and other places on the internet. For what it's worth, I find being fat repulsive regardless of gender, it's just the different attitude that I find worthy of pointing out.

make total destroy

Annnd Rusty Balls posted. Thread has officially jumped the f*cking shark.

Clem Fandango

Yup. we should. When we idolize thin fundamentally what we are actually championing is the attribute of consuming less (energy) than what is being exerted. Which is why the person is thin. In our minds it is someone who gives more to others than they take. While we stigmatize fat not because of the esthetics of it but because behind the rolls of fat is someone who is consuming more than they exert. it is someone in our minds who taking more than they are giving. (as a blanket general rule whot not)

Oh then fat phobia must exist in all societies right?

Seriously what the f*ck do you know?

A successful culture to some degree has to fear the gluttons.

f*cking lol

Otter

I suppose the Freudian argument (and current neuroplasticity consensus) would be that society will ingrain these sexual values on children at a young age. Which, to me, is an argument in favour of societally condemning fat shaming.

But furthermore, I have to wonder why sexual attraction allows you to make a value judgement on a person one way or another. That's some primitive monkey sh*t, there, that we should also be striving to overcome.

Clem Fandango

lol "misogynistic". Not this PC bullsh*t again.

You hate women.

For what it's worth, I find being fat repulsive regardless of gender

I find you f*cking repulsive.