4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

The Janitor

Gun sounds modding thread

The Janitor

Since the latest

lets us change gun sounds, I think this thread might be useful for those of us who wants to mod gun sounds. Here's what I know:

The sound is split in two files, first you have to find the left channel in Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx\WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf that one is easy to find because the folders have proper names like "ptl_50cal"

The tricky part is finding the right channel in Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx\RESIDENT.rpf (you have to extract the weapons.awc folder) because it's just a big folder with hundreds of sounds with names like "0x0F4DFCD5"

So for basically you have to split a stereo sound file in two mono sound files, then place one in RESIDENT.rpf and the other in WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf.

Also note that the sound file size/length can't be bigger than the original sound, otherwise you'll get no sounds at all. (I'm not sure if it's a size limit or a length limit)

Here's what I managed to do so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVzn3t3naM

These are the right channel sounds in RESIDENT.rpf that I found so far:

Pistol = 0x0F4DFCD5.wav

Combat Pistol = 0x1E5A3AED.wav

50.cal Pistol = 0x1F246C4E.wav (also used by SNS Pistol and Heavy Pistol)

Taser = 0x1178999F.wav

Pump Shotgun = 0x02603040.wav

Assault Shotgun = 0x1DBCD289.wav

Bullpup Shotgun = 0x1F1A7204.wav

Heavy Sniper = 0x089F76A1.wav

Help with expanding this list would be appreciated.

Edited by The Janitor

Microbots

How come some of the awc files contain multiple files in weapons_player?

The Janitor

How come some of the awc files contain multiple files in weapons_player?

Not sure, but if a gun has multiple shoot sounds that sound similar you're probably gonna have to replace all of them.

Edited by The Janitor

Drkz

Could you release your pistol sounds, even if it was for testing purposes ?

Also taser shot = 0x1178999F.wav

Edited by Drkz

The Janitor

Sure, can't guarantee there wont be bugs though

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rtqgz081aah5w2i/GTAV_PistolSounds.rar

First, back up your RESIDENT.rpf and WEAPONS_PLAYER_rpf.

Then just drop the WEAPONS_PLAYER_rpf in:

Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx

After that use OpenIV (enable edit mode) and navigate to the same location and open RESIDENT.rpf

Drag both the weapons folder and the weapons.oac on to the "weapons.awc"

Done.

Edited by The Janitor

Drkz

Sure, can't guarantee there wont be bugs though

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rtqgz081aah5w2i/GTAV_PistolSounds.rar

First, back up your RESIDENT.rpf and WEAPONS_PLAYER_rpf.

Then just drop the WEAPONS_PLAYER_rpf in:

Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx

After that use OpenIV (enable edit mode) and navigate to the same location and open RESIDENT.rpf

Drag both the weapons folder and the weapons.oac on to the "weapons.awc"

Done.

Thanks. I already knew how to install all this. Just a little thing : you don't need to drag the folder in weapons.awc, you just need to drag the edited weapons.oac, OpenIV will do the rest.

Edited by Drkz

Jax765

Replaced all the shotgun sounds, I think it came out pretty damn good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvN0btDndw

Pretty good, but I think they need more of a boom and echo. Sound a bit flat considering they're shotguns.

Bloody Mary

You're a lifesaver OP. These filesize limits are horrible though. I can replace the WEAPONSPLAYER sounds, but they end up being too big for RESIDENT.rpf

I'm not sure how one works and the other doesn't, unless Rockstar compresses their RESIDENT files. I'm thinking that the sound muting issue with too-large-sized files is due to some kind of sound caching issue. I've seen similar issues in Source games. Maybe OpenIV will let us access and rebuild the game sound cache at some point?

Edited by Bloody Mary

The Janitor

Starting to work on the automatic guns, for the uzi it seems like both channels are in WEAPONS_PLAYER.rpf.

There's 10 shoot sounds, so I guess 5 of them are left channel and the other 5 are right channel. There's also the sound tail, divided in two files (left and right) it plays at the end of a burst

So basically you have to take a sound file, cut off the tail then divide it into 10 parts, and then make the tail in two parts...yeah this is gonna take a while.

Pretty good, but I think they need more of a boom and echo. Sound a bit flat considering they're shotguns.

Not possible because the sounds have to be very small in length/size or else they wont play, can't fit an echo in there.

Edited by The Janitor

PoeticWhisper

Love this, I always felt the gun sounds in V were lacking a lot. I will be following this thread, even if I don't have the PC version, I always like seeing mods like this.

Bloody Mary

Love this, I always felt the gun sounds in V were lacking a lot. I will be following this thread, even if I don't have the PC version, I always like seeing mods like this.

Sadly Rockstar's never had good gun sound design in the GTA series. It's disappointing that the definitive edition of their most successful game ever has gun sounds that are just as wimpy as in IV and San Andreas.

PoeticWhisper

Sadly Rockstar's never had good gun sound design in the GTA series. It's disappointing that the definitive edition of their most successful game ever has gun sounds that are just as wimpy as in IV and San Andreas.

I actually quite liked GTA IV's gun sounds. The Assault Rifles and Deagle sounded pretty awesome, had a nice loud crisp sound, they felt deadly. The only AR in V I like the sound of is the AK. But it doesn't even compare to the one in IV.

Bloody Mary

I actually quite liked GTA IV's gun sounds. The Assault Rifles and Deagle sounded pretty awesome, had a nice loud crisp sound, they felt deadly. The only AR in V I like the sound of is the AK. But it doesn't even compare to the one in IV.

GTA IV had some really weak shotgun and pistol sounds IMO. The AR and Deagle were pretty good for sure but still nothing spectacular.

Jax765

GTA IV had some really weak shotgun and pistol sounds IMO. The AR and Deagle were pretty good for sure but still nothing spectacular.

Strange how Red Dead had some really great weapon SFX, MP3 was pretty good, and the GTA games have always been terrible. San Andreas was probably the worst. And I really don't get why the sounds used for guns in cutscenes have a lot of impact, and yet in-game they sound more like BB guns.

Edited by Jax765

Bloody Mary

San Andreas definitely had the worst gun sounds of the series.

Edited by Bloody Mary

Drkz

The Janitor, do you plan to release a soundpack or something ? I could make one myself, but i'm honestly way too lazy.

I really like your sounds, even if it's not finished you could probably release that on GTA5-MODS or something. Actual weapon soudpacks present on it are really lackluster, and most of them don't use dual channel.

Edited by Drkz

The Janitor

The Janitor, do you plan to release a soundpack or something ? I could make one myself, but i'm honestly way too lazy.

I really like your sounds, even if it's not finished you could probably release that on GTA5-MODS or something. Actual weapon soudpacks present on it are really lackluster, and most of them don't use dual channel.

I was planning to do a soundpack, but automatic weapons are such a pain in the ass to do, I'm not sure I'll be able to. I can easily do it for the semi-auto weapons though (pistols, shotguns and snipers)

I'm pretty busy with work at the moment, maybe I'll release something this weekend.

Edited by The Janitor

jatinderXD

I don't want to sound dumb or anything but if someone didn't knew, the files in weapons_player.rpf and resident.rpf have same size for same gun as far as i have seen. It took me quite awhile to figure it out. So if you are looking for a sound file for a specific gun in resident.rpf find the size of gun sound in weapons_player.rpf and find it in resident.rpf.

Edited by jatinderXD

The Janitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xziFyisa4J4

This pack includes pistols, shotguns and sniper rifles. Certain guns use sounds from other guns and distorts them, so it's impossible to make them sound good (AP pistol, vintage pistol and the heavy shotgun)

Also I couldn't find the auto-sniper sound, I guess it's tied to some other gun. Anyway here it is if anyone wants it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5xn82jgmdtrmxmk/GTAV_sounds.rar

The Janitor

Certain guns use sounds from other guns and distorts them, so it's impossible to make them sound good (AP pistol, vintage pistol and the heavy shotgun)

^ Nevermind what I said, found a way to make those guns use other sounds by editing the script files. Will release a better version when it's done.

TBOGT Fan

Hey Janitor ! Thanks for inviting.

And of course hello modders and mod downloader

I made a few weapon sound packs and individual ones also

https://www.gta5-mods.com/users/Suspect

HappyGuy__

Has anyone found the Assault Rifle (AK-47 if you will) sound effect yet? i've been trying to find it and its almost as if its not there. I've looked in weapons_player.rpf for a comparison but i cant seem to figure out which of of those are the Assault Rifle either.

Would love the help.

Drkz

They're probably in resident.rpf

Edited by Drkz

Drkz

Hey The Janitor, any progress on your work ? Your sounds are clearly the best available right now.

RoKnROLLeR

Any more info on the sound file names in RESIDENT.rpf ?

If we could get the micro smg / smg / assault rifle / carbine rifle. That would be a stellar

Drkz

Certain guns use sounds from other guns and distorts them, so it's impossible to make them sound good (AP pistol, vintage pistol and the heavy shotgun)

^ Nevermind what I said, found a way to make those guns use other sounds by editing the script files. Will release a better version when it's done.

Please tell me you aren't dead The Janitor. I really, really want to know how you did that.

Username4

Did somebody knows how I can change the AP Pistol sound seperatly?(Because Janitor said it is "linked" with other sound too)

And what is the name of the sound file from the ap pistol?

duckfacebraces

Anyone know how to change the compression of the sounds?. I added supersonic bullet cracks. But as you can hear, only some of them follow through. Most of them sound compressed as hell... The audiofile starts playing, but as soon as the bullet hits the player the crack gets compressed or goes silent. Some of them plays to a 100% tho. I dont know why. Im guessing it might have to do something with the OAC file. In there it sais "DMC compression" and "-200 gain" and other things that maybe has something to do with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=721BI0tUhDM

I want it to eventually sound like this;

Edited by duckfacebraces

BlazeWarDog016

I've been looking for some Walther PPK gun sounds to replace the Combat pistol; but sadly there are no sounds added to the game yet. I have an audio of the magazine reloads and the gunshots; but I am not sure what files the Combat Pistol used. If anyone could help me out with that that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! ^^