3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Armour and Damage Reduction

Mr. Someguy

Mr. Someguy

So I've heard people claim that certain armours reduce damage, can anyone confirm? I've heard that the heavy vest and stealth vest reduce damage, but I've heard the stealth vest doesn't. Some say it only works in heists, some say it works in missions. Also I've been told that the vests you access from the menu are only cosmetic. I've also heard helmets reduce damage from all sources in all gamemodes including freeroam. Can anyone clear this up and tell me, specifically, what reduces damage, by how much, and in what game type?

Edited by Mr. Someguy

Heavy Vests only work during Heists. Armour all have the same damage absorbtion, but vary on durability (cheapest armour give you just under a quater of a bar, most expensive give a full bar). Yes, bulletproof helmets reduce headshot damage, depending on the weapon. It takes two headshots from the Heavy sniper to kill a player if he/she has the helmet equipped. You can choose which armour to wear cosmetically but you will be equipped with the armour you purchased.

Heavy Vests only work during Heists. Armour all have the same damage absorbtion, but vary on durability (cheapest armour give you just under a quater of a bar, most expensive give a full bar). Yes, bulletproof helmets reduce headshot damage, depending on the weapon. It takes two headshots from the Heavy sniper to kill a player if he/she has the helmet equipped. You can choose which armour to wear cosmetically but you will be equipped with the armour you purchased.

100% WRONG! I have a saved outfit that reduces damage in heists, missions and freeroam. I've battle tested it for months and each time it works. You just need the right combination.

Creme_Brulee

100% WRONG! I have a saved outfit that reduces damage in heists, missions and freeroam. I've battle tested it for months and each time it works. You just need the right combination.

What is the combination?

I had never heard of this before, I should definitely try it if someone tells me.

wavingmountains.gif

Cloth store Armor only works in Heists... As you can tell when you are alot slower when using it in heists and take way more bullets.

This does not work in free roam or missions. And this is 100% fact.

Señor_Fisto

Don't listen to brianmo, they're the resident useless and humorless troll.

The only damage reduction you'll be able to get outside of heist setup/mission scenarios is the bulletproof helmet which only works if actually shot in the helmet part of your head (face shots still HURT)

In heist setups/missions the Heavy utility vests (NOT the stealth utility vest, it does nothing) will add a 50% damage reduction. You can add the battle pants from the heist update for an extra 20% and the bulletproof helmet adds in a final 10% for a total of 80% damage reduction with the whole outfit on.

NOTE: Battle pants and bulletproof helmet on their own without the heavy vest DO NOT add damage reduction. They only add total damage reduction when worn in junction with the heavy utility vest. The bulletproof helmet however will still protect your cranium.

Mr. Someguy

The only damage reduction you'll be able to get outside of heist setup/mission scenarios is the bulletproof helmet which only works if actually shot in the helmet part of your head (face shots still HURT)

In heist setups/missions the Heavy utility vests (NOT the stealth utility vest, it does nothing) will add a 50% damage reduction. You can add the battle pants from the heist update for an extra 20% and the bulletproof helmet adds in a final 10% for a total of 80% damage reduction with the whole outfit on.

NOTE: Battle pants and bulletproof helmet on their own without the heavy vest DO NOT add damage reduction. They only add total damage reduction when worn in junction with the heavy utility vest. The bulletproof helmet however will still protect your cranium.

Really disappointing to hear about the Stealth Vest, I much prefer it's design and colour pallet over the other 2 options, light grey and orange or edgy pitch black. Oh well, I can keep it in another outfit space. Interesting to hear about the pants being counted as well. Is that for both the heist pants or just one? 80% damage reduction sounds considerable, so I would like to know more. My group intends to try for Criminal Mastermind...

Señor_Fisto

I don't actually know if the heist pants work the same as the battle pants, I don't think they do but I've never personally tried it. I also don't know if the BP helmet will give the 10% if you're wearing the vest and not the pants, I'd assume so but this wasn't even something R* put in their patch notes or anywhere in the game, so there's no real clarification as to what works without actual testing.

Mr. Someguy

Too bad there actually isn't any way to really test it, since it only works on heists and NPC's have wildly inconsistent damage output.

Edited by Mr. Someguy

Señor_Fisto

Theoretically you could easily clear out an entire area save for one dude with a pistol, easy to count the shots and you can run away and heal up for as many tests as you need. Could also test multiple outfits in one session.

I think I might do a little testing later tonight for the f*ck of it

Mr. Someguy

But you can't change outfits in a heist, so that won't work. Another problem is damage is based on where it hits you as well, which could skew the results.

Really disappointing to hear about the Stealth Vest, I much prefer it's design and colour pallet over the other 2 options, light grey and orange or edgy pitch black. Oh well, I can keep it in another outfit space. Interesting to hear about the pants being counted as well. Is that for both the heist pants or just one? 80% damage reduction sounds considerable, so I would like to know more. My group intends to try for Criminal Mastermind...

the stealth vest isn't completely useless, I think it reduces the amount of noise you make during heists, but besides that nothing else special about it and please don't complain about the design or color pallet of the heavy armor, it's not meant to be fashionable it's meant to keep you alive also good luck on that criminal mastermind challenge.