2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How long will GTA Online stay alive?

Veliu

I'm wondering for how long do you think R* will continue to support GTA ONLINE and for how long will people still be playing it?

I'm just asking because I don't If I should buy this game for PS4.

Quinn_flower

giphy.gif

... till your kids kids kids reach level 8000

Edited by Quinn_flower
  • Like 8

Regardless of all the complaining people do, i'd say it's a safe bet that GTAO will be populated for a good few years yet.

paperbagdude

Probably untill the next GTA Online is released, presumably with GTA VI.

So yeah, GTA Online will probably stay popular for the next 6-7 years to come. And remember, current gen users get the good stuff ;)

• Like 3

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

Just think about how long it will be until GTA6 comes out (probably 2020) and you can assume that GTA0 will be around until then.

• Like 2

I think if they want to keep the game populated they need to add real content and not just cars clothes and guns every single time. Heists don't count. Needs Worldy type stuff to do aside from missions.

• Like 3

I can't even seem to connect to anyone doing missions at the moment, so bleh.

Misanthrope Z

considering GTA4 had barely anything to do in freeroam and quickly became a breeding ground for dorks with jailbroken consoles and still survived literally all the way up until GTA5's release, i'd say GTA5 has quite a lifespan ahead of it.

Zoots Remuvah

Personally, I reckon it'll be like world of warcraft, in that it will effectively be a seperate online entity from the actual GTA series...

Though saying that, a lot is going to depend on how much content they can fit in..

I can just hear the screams when the next GTA comes out and rockstar say you can't transfer your level 15,000 character over..

I believe IV's servers are still up and that's a 2008 game. (if they aren't they just shut down recently - but the point stands)

So you can expect 5 more years as a minimum.

R* only have to maintain their cloud servers (probably in one location) all the rest is P2P so considering how many folks bought the game its easily going to last up to (and perhaps beyond) the next GTA title.

MajorVienna

It's a bit too late to be starting GTA Online to be honest. All the good stuff (the golden era, and not necessarily glitch related) has already happened and you'll be a long way behind. By the time you catch up, more players will have left and the game will have become even worse through added bugs, connection problems and bad changes in updates.

Because Online is basically funded by cash card sales. Rockstar will probably add a final mission where our characters get killed- you can see from some of the heist cutscenes that our characters are talked down to as dumb by the agents etc (which represent Rockstar really), so this hints strongly that we'll get killed off so as to provide a plausible reason to force us to start from scratch in GTA VI's Online.

People who agree to complete this final mission would get starting cash for GTA VI's Online etc, and perhaps it may be a 'winner stays on' type of final mission/heist, you do the final mission with 3 others, and you finish with a gunfight where only 1 or 2 of you lives, after which you can do it again to build up a little stockpile to start GTA VI's Online with, until you get killed.

Edited by MajorVienna

I also have a fealing they might make GTAO a thing of it's own, and leave the story series behind... i wouldn't mind.

How long it (GTA V ONLINE) will exist and how long people will be playing it in any meaningful way are different things entirely, and they all depend of Rockstar. Their current mindset seems to be sporadic and throw-away content...so

Given all the issues with latest gen version, I wouldn't even bother buying the game again for your new gen console.

Edited by PANiC ATTACK3R

The multi-player part of GTA IV is still going so I guess GTA Online will be around for quite a while.

The real question is can GTA V/Online compete with the games that look truly next-gen that are being released at the end of the year? Rockstar needs to start dropping actual DLC rather than tiny themed updates.

BeersInsteadofGears

giphy.gif

... till your kids kids kids reach level 8000

lmaoooooo best gif ever. And truth, that's why I invested in 250 spare PS3 controllers for my family's future

Edited by BeersInsteadofGears

I'm not upgraded yet. But I wouldn't buy gtav for ps4. Ain't gonna download 4gb-6gb patch just to play a game and still broken.

• Like 1

It's a bit too late to be starting GTA Online to be honest. All the good stuff (the golden era, and not necessarily glitch related) has already happened and you'll be a long way behind. By the time you catch up, more players will have left and the game will have become even worse through added bugs, connection problems and bad changes in updates.

Dumbest thing I've read on the forums today so far.

• Like 3

prestonchan

when they end it, make sure they patch it for SP roaming

at least let me use solo season without connecting to the server

• 3 months later...

For next gen, this is only the beginning. Rockstar has looked at last gen and next gen as two different games.

Now that the restrictions of last gen are gone, Rockstar can open the floodgates and take GTA Online into many different directions.

Re-Dragon-Cro

Didn't Rockstar say that its meant like a long term project that continues on expanding even through new titles?

I'm guessing and hoping we'll get to keep our current GTA Online characters, just starting out in Vice City or wherever GTA VI will take place.

Didn't Rockstar say that its meant like a long term project that continues on expanding even through new titles?

Can't wait to have already unlocked everything on GTA6 then... #highlevelproblems

Can't wait to have already unlocked everything on GTA6 then... #highlevelproblems

There might be new weapon tints, tattoos, and car mods to unlock by doing certain things. Just the same as starting out in Los Santos, but better off than the no money and the pistol Lamar gave you days.

They need a map expansion, I have no problems paying $40 for a map similar to the homemade ones out there with San fiero and las venturas