2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Do you make wide turns to win races or no?

pain7

Wut? It's a racing line. You don't take every corner wide you'd never overtake otherwise.

• Like 2

Wide turns? Using another player to brake?

I don't get it. There's no much ways to make efficient turns. Outside-inside-outside.

Edited by jdwarfer

In racing, there is one line around a track. One. In the bumper car nonsense that children play in GTA, do whatever you want. I gave up on racing in this game long ago

• Like 2

We Are Ninja

You follow the racing line as often as you're able to, or as closely as your opponents allow you to. To answer your question as I understand it, "Yes".

Furry_Monkey

Two different approaches, each with varying results that mean you should do what suits both your driving style and the approaching corner.

1. Slow down and take the corner tight, then accelerate out of it.

2. Take the corner wide, slowing down later and going past it, but then turn sharper and accelerate away, therefore reaching top speed sooner (albeit from a greater distance from the corner).

These are both legit in real life. I don't know how relevant they are in the world of GTA physics, as that world is NOT the same as the real world. Find what suits you best by doing a test track repeatedly and trying different styles.

Losing my faith in humanity.

• Like 3

OP, I know how you can learn.

Buy this game.

https://www.google.com/search?q=original+gran+turismo&client=ms-android-verizon&espvd=1&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sboxchip=Shopping&sa=X&ei=L6aBVamHGcHYtQWCtZKYBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=591#espvd=1&spd=16627929338223754081

It comes with two booklets. One of them explains all aspects of race driving.

You have to at least learn basic out-in-out. To most people, it just comes naturally. Some people need to be taught I guess.

FrugalDangerMan

Learn what an apex is and use it. Learning a course and its idiosyncrasies will help too.

Also, contrary to logic, brakes are for making you go faster. Proper braking technique into a corner allows more responsive acceleration out of one resulting in faster lap times.

In racing, there is one line around a track. One. In the bumper car nonsense that children play in GTA, do whatever you want. I gave up on racing in this game long ago

Ok, that was in no way helpful. Pardon me, I am at work.

Lots of racing fundamentals info online. Basic rules, Brake before you turn. The Apex is the middle of the turn. So coming in, brake, turn in, skim apex and accelerate out.

RayB_ThrowaStack

Doesn't matter because if you aren't in last place when you come to a corner, every car behind you f*cks you in the ass at top speed wrecking your sh*t into oblivion and f*cking you

• Like 3

Assuming no traffic, you want to utilize as much of the road as possible. If you can go through a series of corners in a straight line, then do that. Generally, the wider you make your turn, the more speed you can carry through it. The downside is, of course, that a wider turn means you cover more ground, effectively making your race longer. I've passed other racers both by braking a little early, making a very sharp turn, and getting right back on the gas. I've also passed other racers by going wide and carrying more speed through the turn. It depends partially on the drivers you're up against, but mostly you just have to run the race a few times to find what the right balance of the two is.

An important tactic I see a lot of people forget is to, in many cases, start your turn early. If you start your turn too late, you'll have to use more brake power to get pointed the right direction.

Edited by Slam_Jones

OP, I know how you can learn.

Buy this game.

https://www.google.com/search?q=original+gran+turismo&client=ms-android-verizon&espvd=1&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sboxchip=Shopping&sa=X&ei=L6aBVamHGcHYtQWCtZKYBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=591#espvd=1&spd=16627929338223754081

It comes with two booklets. One of them explains all aspects of race driving.

You have to at least learn basic out-in-out. To most people, it just comes naturally. Some people need to be taught I guess.

The first Gran Turismo tought me this, but I didn't really realize it at the time, I was like....7?

I've won many races in this game, I always try to take an optimum racing line with as little braking as possible. The only two people I've had beat me on my favourite track had thousands of wins and seemed to be driving all over the road, banging into things and looking scrappy, they beat my best times and I've got no idea how unless lag was making it look worse than it was, moral of the story being "f*ck knows", racing smooth works mostly but driving like a mentalist seems to work better.

• Like 1

I've won many races in this game, I always try to take an optimum racing line with as little braking as possible. The only two people I've had beat me on my favourite track had thousands of wins and seemed to be driving all over the road, banging into things and looking scrappy, they beat my best times and I've got no idea how unless lag was making it look worse than it was, moral of the story being "f*ck knows", racing smooth works mostly but driving like a mentalist seems to work better.

They were "Curb Surfing". Cars pick up speed dramatically when you drive on the sidewalks. It is something I do not agree with and is becoming common in SOME race crews.

They were "Curb Surfing". Cars pick up speed dramatically when you drive on the sidewalks. It is something I do not agree with and is becoming common in SOME race crews.

That simply doesn't make any sort of sense, but this is GTA...

I'm going ahead and assuming the thread is about racing lines.

You will find plenty of textperts on the forum so good luck sifting.

My 2c consists of yep out-in-out means the optimum apex - always take that if you can.

Otherwise there's the secondaries in-out and out-in, which can quite happily put you in front of whoever is on the racing line, and then as you are exiting slower, you will have to block them.

Asking 'Best way to win?' will open up a big old can of GTA worms. Personally I enjoy that carving front side swipe on mofos when it's warranted.