Horizon series | Zero Dawn, Forbidden West

ClaudeSpeed1911

Twist Of Sugar Venom

Finished the story just recently. I think this game is the standard for video games going forward, especially open world ones, similar to what Red Dead 2 done in 2018. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:01 AM, hellofaride said:

Gonna start playing soon. Hope my expectations will be as good as reality!

How are you enjoying it so far?

• 3 months later...

I really hate the fact that there are a dozen variants of a particular weapon. It's hard to keep track of which bow to keep while anticipating for better options.

LittleJesus
3 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

I really hate the fact that there are a dozen variants of a particular weapon. It's hard to keep track of which bow to keep while anticipating for better options.

I recommend not buying any of them, with the ones you unlock completing quests and the ones you find scavenging should be enough. I also regret spending dozen of hours upgrading them only to sell them in the end since when you get legendary ones they are pretty much useless. 

5 hours ago, LittleJesus said:

I recommend not buying any of them, with the ones you unlock completing quests and the ones you find scavenging should be enough. I also regret spending dozen of hours upgrading them only to sell them in the end since when you get legendary ones they are pretty much useless. 

Yup! I didn't! hahaha. Except for a few I reeeeally need. I had to look up all the weapons in the game, and all I care about are the Legendary tier Hunter Bows. I'm still on the fence about the rest, though. Also, quest givers give weapons every now and then, but most of them are meh.

I think I'm sticking on to Hard enemy health until NG+.

I was holding off of this game until the Complete Edition comes out, but I really miss Aloy and friends and I think the earliest time for the DLC is at the end of 2022.

Just finnished the story! Holy sh*t! This game is EPIIIIC! A few scenes stood out to me in particular.

The first would be the

Spoiler

hologram scene after Aloy took Poseidon and the entire Las Vegas area in particular.

That scene made me tearjerk in appreciation for GG's efforts.

2nd

Spoiler

When Aloy and Zo restored the Plowhorns in Plainsong and the subsequent improvements on their crops.

I was also tear-jerky when the plowhorns and the Utaru started singing.

3rd

Spoiler

Varl's death.

4th

Spoiler

When Beta gave Aloy the sunwing override and her part in the final battle against the specter horde.

Best game I ever played so far.

• 7 months later...
dante財閥

Best game I ever played so far.

Have you played many games? lol. 

I just finished Forbidden West and I have to say I'm super disappointed. I thought it was an average game compared to the first. It's still a good game, at least in comparison to a lot of others - but it has none of the majesty or awe of the first. The story bored me, the Zeniths bored me, and the ending was very anti-climactic. They also misused their best character Sylens, IMO. 

Aloy also became a much different character than in the first game. All this weird breathlessness, over-wrought dialogue. It was really cringe-worthy. By around 3/4's of the way through the story I was contemplating looking for a way to turn her dialogue off. 

I think overall the game is still a solid 7/10. But nothing compared to the first. I think they should have been allowed extra time to flesh stuff out. As it stands, unless they dramatically improve gameplay or somehow make the story more personal and engaging again in the third game - we're looking at a trilogy that declined with each game. I hope not, though. Maybe it'l do a Devil May Cry.

Edited by dante財閥
adding a quote

@dante財閥

Sorry for the late reply. I got suspended.

Anyway, I've played lots of video games

The Last of Us 1 and 2

Horizon Zero Dawn and this one

GTA 2, 3, VC, SA, IV, V

GOW 2018 and Ragnarok

Re Biohazard and Village

Journey and Stray

just to name a few. Sure, Forbidden West has a lot of storytelling flaws, Zero Dawn is 100% better in terms of storytelling and half the side missions in Forbidden West are very repetitive and unnecessary (like the Oseram camps), but I find the game overall more replayable than God of War and The Last of Us (which are my favorites in terms of story).

The map design in Horizon series is weak coming from video games like GTA, but the world is very captivating and just enough in terms of engagement (if you ignore the Oseram stuff, which I did until I went for 100%, I'm ignoring those guys after).

dante財閥
10 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

@dante財閥

Sorry for the late reply. I got suspended.

Anyway, I've played lots of video games

The Last of Us 1 and 2

Horizon Zero Dawn and this one

GTA 2, 3, VC, SA, IV, V

GOW 2018 and Ragnarok

Re Biohazard and Village

Journey and Stray

I gotta say man, if those are the only games you've played then it makes sense you'd think Forbidden West was the best. I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, but it's so far from any elite video games. It's a solid sequel, nothing more.

That being said, if you really think TLOU, the entire GTA series, and the GoW reboot aren't as good then O;

16 hours ago, dante財閥 said:

I gotta say man, if those are the only games you've played then it makes sense you'd think Forbidden West was the best. I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, but it's so far from any elite video games. It's a solid sequel, nothing more.

That being said, if you really think TLOU, the entire GTA series, and the GoW reboot aren't as good then O;

IDK you've probably played a lot more. Nowadays, I don't really buy new video games unless I've played previous entries, unless they had good reviews and on discount.

There's just something about Forbidden West. The Last of Us Part 2 is very replayable to me, but since it's linear, I just can't take a long break from the story and just play the game, if you know what I mean. TLOU Part 2 is probably the best game in my list, I've played it a lot more than Forbidden West, but that's mainly because it's been out for more than 2 years now. TLOU Part 2 certainly has smoother gameplay and better story, but as I said, I just wish I could play it and get away from the story once in a while since I played it at least 6 times since Sept 2021.

• 1 month later...

May be an image of helicopter

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person

May be an image of 2 people

May be an image of 1 person, the Arno River and text that says 'GREETINGS 。S FROM BURNING SHORES N'

Been enjoying HFW Burning Shores so far! I'm down to the final story mission, but I'm still tackling side stuff for 100%, and I'm about 70% finished overall, except for a group of collectibles.

There was a patch that improved the base game on the PS5. The most significant being the clouds for me. There was certainly a graphical improvement when I arrived on the Burning Shores area, but I can't tell that much when I'm in the Forbidden West.

I really love the Waterwing. I will certainly use it for exploring San Francisco's waters after I 100% Burning Shores.

Adminsaredicks

I weirdly fascinated by world and robots design.

I was never interested in this game since i dont have Playstation, but after Lego release Tallneck I became interested.

Tallneck is something how I would imagine Brachiosaurus from future used as mobile broadcast tower. First I saw that head I know it for broadcasting something.

Also Aloy is very pretty woman.

• Like 2

@DODI3OG Are those really your screenshots? They look amazing, I have the first one on steam but no time to play this one yet.

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

On 4/22/2023 at 2:18 AM, Ondr4H said:

I weirdly fascinated by world and robots design.

I was never interested in this game since i dont have Playstation, but after Lego release Tallneck I became interested.

Tallneck is something how I would imagine Brachiosaurus from future used as mobile broadcast tower. First I saw that head I know it for broadcasting something.

Also Aloy is very pretty woman.

I'm also weirdly fascinated by the environment. I find it very beautiful and haunting at the same time since I don't like seeing wreckages. 

On 4/22/2023 at 2:24 AM, 44Orca said:

@DODI3OG Are those really your screenshots? They look amazing, I have the first one on steam but no time to play this one yet.

Thank you. ❤️ Those are mine. :) I'm more into landscape or wide-angle shots. I envy those who could pull off close-ups since a lot of times, I just can't get those right.

I hope they release this game on PC optimized. First one had a sour initial release, and so did GOW 2018 and TLOU Part 1. If they do it right, it will probably be the prettiest and smoothest game. Barely any hiccups on such a detailed world.

This is one of my closeup shots. I feel like there's something missing on it.

• Best Bru 3

Adminsaredicks
4 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

I'm also weirdly fascinated by the environment. I find it very beautiful and haunting at the same time since I don't like seeing wreckages. 

Thank you. ❤️ Those are mine. :) I'm more into landscape or wide-angle shots. I envy those who could pull off close-ups since a lot of times, I just can't get those right.

I hope they release this game on PC optimized. First one had a sour initial release, and so did GOW 2018 and TLOU Part 1. If they do it right, it will probably be the prettiest and smoothest game. Barely any hiccups on such a detailed world.

This is one of my closeup shots. I feel like there's something missing on it.

You are doing really nice photos!

I love this take on postapocalyptic world, like most traits of old world is completely vanished and nature takes it back. Its not depressing by any means.

3 hours ago, Ondr4H said:

You are doing really nice photos!

I love this take on postapocalyptic world, like most traits of old world is completely vanished and nature takes it back. Its not depressing by any means.

Thank you. ❤️ I really appreciate it. I do photography IRL, but we had to sell the camera. I might get myself a photography drone someday.

I love the sceneries outside the ruins, but the ruins themselves could be depressing for me sometimes. Take Burning Shores for example, I find everything fascinating, the vistas, the mixture of old human architecture and futuristic tribal, the natural and robotic animals, as well as the plate-shifted areas with lava.

I'm used to places being populated whether by AI or real people, especially Los Angeles. Seeing that city in ruins and the downtown areas being barren gives me a lot of creeps and crushes my heart a bit. Good thing they're almost unrecognizable from the amount of weathering and damages.

Also, I'm not from LA. But, I've been playing GTA V for so long, that I could recognize the general geographic locations of the landmarks in the Burning Shores. XD

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Sounds like HFW PC is coming soon. 😊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nixxes involved.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffff*ck yes. 

• Like 2

Oh, it's going to be a solid port, then. Looking forward to it, I can't praise Nixxes enough, to be honest. And an early 2024 date is very nice. We have other games coming up, like Alan Wake 2 next month.

Pretty predictable considering they took over HZD's development to fix it up a bit. Nixxes are absolutely the best porting house out there but Ratchet & Clank (despite being mostly a solid port too) had some weird issues and oversights and I kinda hope Nixxes aren't stretching themselves too thin, they have like 60 employees and 3 projects (they're still working on R&C patches) if we consider they're probably already doing something about Spider-Man 2 for the future. :kekw: (though I suppose they already have experience with the Insomniac Engine anyway, only Horizon is on a different one) 

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

It wouldn't surprise me if they do a bit of out sourcing or contract work or something to help but the most important thing with Nixxes is that they know what people want and expect. Their PC releases aren't always completely flawless but at the same time they're never lacking in proper support - ultrawide, upscaling tech, good and proper setting menus, proper mouse/keyboard support, DualSense on PC support, etc.

Harwood Butch3r

I bought HFW last year, but I only played a couple hours of it so now I’m playing it again. Ignoring all the side content though. Just focusing on the story.

OMG visually I think this is the best looking PS5 game I’ve played yet. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart I felt was always a beast in the visuals department, but this on a different level IMO.

Absolutely stunning. I might also get the Burning Shores DLC if I get through the main story over the next few days.

• 5 months later...

This is why you want Nixxes involved on every PS port, and why it would be amazing if literally every studio took notice of how Nixxes handle PC ports.

Looks like it's gonna be a great port, tons of options, full ultrawide support, good to potentially great performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunk about 40 hours into it so far and f*cking hell man, the scope of this game compared to Zero Dawn is insane. It's genuinely something like 3-5x bigger lol.

That increase in scope can make it feel a little bloated in areas, and sometimes side quests are relatively simple, but there also are some really solid ones with unique areas to explore too. Also there's a f*cking absurd amount of dialogue in this game, there's a lot of exposition to be found by talking to people, questions you can ask before and during quests, follow up conversations with people you helped and even a lot of reactivity type dialogue, Aloy often has dialogue if she's been to locations quest givers are talking about, or if you've done something in a certain order etc - it's really impressive in that area in particular. The first game was very exposition heavy (which I really liked), but they went nuts with it here.

Puzzle wise it's pretty damn good too IMO, in terms of mechanics there's repetition of course but the actual solutions and environments are all unique so far, and every Cauldron having it's own twist is really nice.

I also really like a lot of the map progression that goes on, you'll clear out a place and people will rebuild or move in, creating a new settlement with people, vendors and often new quests, and this happens a lot. On top of that, the map does change as you complete the story too. The Vegas questline in particular is a real highlight so far, it hits so many good notes in terms of story, visuals and map changes.

I'd still say it's in the same camp as Zero Dawn, in that it isn't really innovating or doing anything ground breaking, it's just doing a lot of things at a good or in some cases great so far. Really, really enjoying it.

I've put around 50hrs in so far and decided to put down the main story a bit after heading out further west, and I must say it looks beautiful when you start exploring each individual biome, love how diverse they are.

I'll admit that the story might be the weakest part for me. The same issue I had w/ HZD, but not as bad in this, I guess...

Doing a few camps and Cauldrons at the moment, those of which have always been different every time I've done one, makes sense, I suppose, since there's only meant to be a couple, it's still very enjoyable, and the combat is so damn fun. I never get tired of picking the armour pieces of those robots.

But put it this way, I'm enjoying it a lot more than DD2 at the moment, sorta to do with performance issues on that part, lol.

The biome diversity is stellar, even if the way some of them join together is a little sudden in areas. They mask it reasonably well in most cases, with mountain ranges especially, but there's a couple of areas, especially up north, where it's very sudden - snow just stopping all of a sudden etc. But it's not bad, and the variety makes up for it and then some. Canyons, deserts, lush jungles, coast lines, arid/rocky deserts, desert with dunes and all, mountain regions and valleys with snow... there's probably more I'm missing, the game covers them all.

The lighting can be a lil iffy at times mind you, overall their GI approach is really nice especially considering it's not RTGI, but there's some situations where the lighting gets a lil wonky, some lightbleed, some "hero lighting" (Aloy being lit by invisible lighting) and stuff like that. But that's all minor it has to be said, overall the game is one of the best I've ever played visually. Guerilla's Decima engine is really one of the best around at the moment it has to be said - DS2 looks visually incredible too.

13 hours ago, lndex said:

But put it this way, I'm enjoying it a lot more than DD2 at the moment, sorta to do with performance issues on that part, lol.

DD2 is a bit of an oddity IMO.

If I had to rate every aspect of the game in one of four categories - great, good, meh, bad - then I'd say combat, exploration and pawns are great but nothing else is good. There's a bunch of meh and some bad, but the three things it does great are enough to carry it quite far but not that far. For me, once I explored the map and maxed out my gear I felt pretty done. I do think I'll revisit it in future, and would be down for DLC if it expands on the foundations the vanilla game laid down in significant ways.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

The lighting can be a lil iffy at times mind you, overall their GI approach is really nice especially considering it's not RTGI, but there's some situations where the lighting gets a lil wonky, some lightbleed, some "hero lighting" (Aloy being lit by invisible lighting) and stuff like that. But that's all minor it has to be said, overall the game is one of the best I've ever played. Guerilla's Decima engine is really one of the best around at the moment it has to be said - DS2 looks visually incredible too.

Yeah, there seems to be a fair amount of jank going on with the lighting. I noticed that last night, a few times, when climbing those beams that are in the Cauldrons, Aloy was lit up like a Christmas tree lol. Having looked online though, it seems that it was also present a lot on the console version, as I was messing around with my shadow settings, thinking it might have been that cause medium - high shadows for me seem to make a massive difference even in lighting (mainly in doors). Orrr that being said, the translucent effects are pretty much broken as well, but I'm not all that clued up on what those settings mainly do.

There's definitely something a bit funky with particle stuff yea - fog, mist and even some god rays can look weird at times, especially in interiors.