2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Range on homing missiles changed?

Jimrod

Twice in the past couple of days I've been shot down in a heli (and targeted more) by people seemingly well out of range of the homing lock, by which I mean on the edge of my larger player map in the bottom left. When I've tried to do similar I still seem to have the conventional locking distance of about 50 yards - ie, very short. Am I missing something?

ExplosiveEnergy386

Post Removed

Edited by ExplosiveEnergy386

Shadowfennekin

I've noticed this too. The guy was at the Vinewood theater and I was far like near Maze Bank aand I still heard the lock on noise. He was the only one in the session on crate day

Are you waiting until the lock screen turns red?

I mean even start to lock at all, I've always needed to be pretty close but it seems others can target me from miles away...

GrandMaster Smith

I just wish they'd nerf the homing missile's damage completely in half, 1 missile should do medium damage requiring 2 to actually take down any aircraft. Most overpowered weapon to date, you can't even fly harmless passenger planes anymore without getting aimbot-rocketed

ExplosiveEnergy386

Post Removed

Edited by ExplosiveEnergy386

Sky_Light12

oh sh*t ! really C* ?

now ppl can't enjoy the deluxe aviation of luxor/swift

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed too, lock on has a greater ranger or is faster to lock on. I flew past someone and boom was shot down. Last week they would have never got me.

BamaGoodfella

I know this post would be better suited for the B&M thread, but the homing launcher should have NEVER been added to the game. Want to shoot down aircraft? Get your rank/skill up and take it down with a heavy sniper, RPG, minigun, etc! Yes, I realize that people complained about jet griefers but the homing launcher doesn't do jack sh*t against them unless they are VERY bad pilots.

• Like 2

The range is much longer than 50 yards, it's probably measured in miles (1 or 2) I find you can lock on even once the aircraft is out of view.

I was locking on to that NPC plane objective once just east of Sandy airfield and i'm pretty sure I accidentally locked on a jet being stolen at the fort / mil base by a player. I got hit by a NPC car then when I got up and aimed it beeped but I was pointing east towards the fort, the NPC plane was passing over my head. I stood there wondering what it was locking on and it just kept beeping with a red square that didn't move at all. The only player nearby was far as hell (near the fort) so i just kept chasing the NPC plane. Might have just been a bug though.

Hmm I'll have to do some testing on the PC version.

The range of a shoulder fired stinger irl depending on the specific model is over 25,000 ft, about 5.5 miles and the flight speed is over 1500 mph. In a civilian aircraft you're as good as dead if you're in range. In a jet fighter you have a good chance of out running it, or using counter measures to buy you enough time to get out if it's range. So thank your lucky stars R* didn't factor that in or else it would be locking onto everything no matter the distance since the max altitude in game is 8000ft. Plus armed aircraft have the lock on ability now so it's balanced just fine. I hate to be the guy but if you're flying around in civilian aircraft in free roam, you take the chance of being shot down especially if you're not in passive mode. I accidently shot down someone in a Dodo coming out of a DM last night thinking it was a smugglers plane flying overhead, he was fully psycho red.

• Like 3

LBCWorldWide

Homing launcher = heli/low maneuver aircraft death.

Homing launcher = Lazer/Hydra/Besra annoyance.

Been like that since it was released. I whip it out on the reggy and I've not noticed any further lock-on range. It's all about the timing when firing and all about the maneuvering when evading.

I find a group of scaredy cats that are Homing Launching anything that moves and simply fly around in circles in their view finder and watch and listen as they waste rocket after rocket. 😆

LBC 😎

InYeezusWeTrust

Been like that since it was released. I whip it out on the reggy and I've not noticed any further lock-on range. It's all about the timing when firing and all about the maneuvering when evading.

I find a group of scaredy cats that are Homing Launching anything that moves and simply fly around in circles in their view finder and watch and listen as they waste rocket after rocket. 😆

LBC 😎

Whats the point of shooting down a besra?

• Like 4

LBCWorldWide

LBC 😎

Whats the point of shooting down a besra?Where did I say, "I shoot down Besra's"? I didn't, move along yeezus or contribute.

LBC 😎

Sky_Light12

as long as i've mastered windmills , i can prevent the rocket hit me by flying through windmills

SuperJude™

Spend MILLIONS on new aircraft and have to worry about n00bs with auto aim rockets.

Mmm hmmm.

UltimateAntic

I purposly make people waste their rockets

• Like 2

LBC 😎

Where did I say, "I shoot down Besra's"? I didn't, move along yeezus or contribute.

LBC 😎

You jumped to conclusions. He wasn't accusing you in particular of shooting down Besras. He meant why anybody in general would want to shoot it down. Try to interpret replies better so you're not so quick to retort next time. ;)

• Like 5

I like the Homing Launcher because it has effectively removed the Jet griefing problem. There were always one or two idiots in a Jet griefing an entire session, and yes - they could be shot down with a Heavy Sniper or the Minigun, but you had to spend a lot of time/effort to get to the right position to do it. I know that some pilots can evade the missiles - but the fact is that I haven't been griefed by Jets since we got the Homing Launcher. Not even once - and I play daily.

But yes - I think the missiles should be nerfed. One missile should cripple a heli/plane severely forcing the pilot to land or evacuate after some time - and two should blow it up.

Edited by C64fanatic

Crunch McThornbody

Plus armed aircraft have the lock on ability now so it's balanced just fine.

No. The balance is buggered.

When you're in a Lazer/Buzzard/Hydra your rockets now lock on to players in ground vehicles where their weaponry choice is limited, but if they stop and go on foot you can't lock on them and they're more of a danger to you because they got the homing missile.

BTW, what moron at Rockstar decided not to level lock the DLC weapons? It's had such a detrimental effect to freeroam fights. Back when I started I had to rank up to 'earn' the level locked weapons, now someone can buy shark cards or glitch money and they've got instant access to high power rockets/explosives/sniper/rifles etc.

• Like 2

I agree all the DLC weapons should have been level locked. I'm strictly a DM player when it comes to PvP, very seldom I get into free roam ruckus. But I'm pretty good Buzzard pilot and I always rely on manual aim when it comes to missiles. Avoiding the homing missiles is never a 100% guarantee, but if you stay low use the buildings to you advantage and keep moving. Most people looking to shoot you down aren't going to expect someone flying in at almost street level especially in a Buzzard. You'll be much harder to hit than a stationary target which will be either cooked my a missile or in some cases sniped. Personally this doesn't bother me as much as the nerf of the Heavy Sniper, there isn't body armor or a helmet in the world that would prevent you from being vaporized from one of those rounds. They also never should've made the tail rotors indestructible. Now homing missiles locking onto players is a little far fetched, another reason why I play forced only weapons DMs. That would probably be the only feature I would say has to go with that specific weapon.

LBCWorldWide

LBC 😎

Where did I say, "I shoot down Besra's"? I didn't, move along yeezus or contribute.

LBC 😎

You jumped to conclusions. He wasn't accusing you in particular of shooting down Besras. He meant why anybody in general would want to shoot it down. Try to interpret replies better so you're not so quick to retort next time. ;)Seeing as how in my OP, I didn't mention Besra, Death or Use Homing Launcher On, in the same sentence. My conclusion was sound and just.

Had he said, 'why does anyone shoot an unarmed aircraft?', it would have been a general statement.

As an expert, I know it's better to be a smartass than a dumbass, and you, sir, are drowning in the latter.

Thanks for your bs input though, maybe next time you will take your own advice...

LBC 😎

Tested on PC.

No range increase.

LBC 😎

LBC 😎

You jumped to conclusions. He wasn't accusing you in particular of shooting down Besras. He meant why anybody in general would want to shoot it down. Try to interpret replies better so you're not so quick to retort next time. ;)Seeing as how in my OP, I didn't mention Besra, Death or Use Homing Launcher On, in the same sentence. My conclusion was sound and just.

Had he said, 'why does anyone shoot an unarmed aircraft?', it would have been a general statement.

As an expert, I know it's better to be a smartass than a dumbass, and you, sir, are drowning in the latter.

Thanks for your bs input though, maybe next time you will take your own advice...

LBC 😎

Wow, the butthurt is real

• Like 2

gorskiegangsta

..you can't even fly harmless passenger planes anymore without getting aimbot-rocketed

I just hook an Adder with the Cargobob and fly wherever I please. ;)

..you can't even fly harmless passenger planes anymore without getting aimbot-rocketed

I just hook an Adder with the Cargobob and fly wherever I please. ;)

I used to do this with my Zentorno and go passive when it's hooked up, it gets blown up. Land out the city, call up MMI, do it all over again. Now I do it with my Osiris.

Kushology.gif

ATSBRzE.png

CrysisAverted

I have been getting locked onto even though the nearest guy is way f*cking far

Mattoropael

The range of a shoulder fired stinger irl depending on the specific model is over 25,000 ft, about 5.5 miles and the flight speed is over 1500 mph. In a civilian aircraft you're as good as dead if you're in range. In a jet fighter you have a good chance of out running it, or using counter measures to buy you enough time to get out if it's range. So thank your lucky stars R* didn't factor that in or else it would be locking onto everything no matter the distance since the max altitude in game is 8000ft. Plus armed aircraft have the lock on ability now so it's balanced just fine. I hate to be the guy but if you're flying around in civilian aircraft in free roam, you take the chance of being shot down especially if you're not in passive mode. I accidently shot down someone in a Dodo coming out of a DM last night thinking it was a smugglers plane flying overhead, he was fully psycho red.

I like how you take one part of reality to post while omitting all other relevant information out:

- Real-life aircraft fly much faster than they do in GTA

- Real-life military aircraft IS equipped with countermeasures.

- The AIM-120 AMRAAM, the air-to-air missile that the GTA jets' missiles are modeled after, has a range of 19 km (62,336 feet)

- The AGM-65 Maverick, the ACTUAL mainstray anti-surface missile of the US military, has a range of 22 km (72,178 feet)

- Aircraft cannon rounds don't magically disappear after a short distance.

Perhaps all the waah waah pilots, who don't like being on fire, would like some baby wipes to help with all their sh*tcaked butthurt?

Fly higher, dumbasses. If you're skimming supermarkets, expect missiles.

Christ on a bike, do I have to explain everything? You people have zero problem solving capabilities. I hope there's an apocalypse that wipes out vast amounts of young people soon, I don't want any of you bogey-eating squares trying to run the world, because you're all f*cking incompetent.

Lots of love

Horrible Jesus