2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Flares

flyboy7

With all these updates delivering more and more powerful weapons (and nerfing others) like air-to-air and surface-to-air weapons, we badly need flares. Unarmed choppers are sitting ducks. Even other aircrafts are powerless against the lazer.

We need at least flares as a countermeasure.

Yes, some sessions I can't be in the air for a minute without being taken down.

Passive is your ultimate flare.

People on last gen exist you know. lastgen= senseless non transparent passive mode

• Like 4

People on last gen exist you know. lastgen= senseless non transparent passive mode

On Last Gen, we refer to it as Passive Aggressive mode. <sigh>

Passive mode on last gen was a big fail. Did R* honestly not see the players running over/killing in vehicle passive players? It pisses me off that they perfected it on next gen. "Console limitations"

• Like 2

Homing Launcher should only lock onto aircraft with weapons.

It's pathetic you can't even fly planes through the city without the inevitable rocket blowing you up for an easy kill...

• Like 1

Inb4 "stop flying near players" or "get better"

Definitely agree that you should get flares in all aircraft, seeing that passengers can still shoot, so un-armed aircraft can still be considered potential threats if it's more than just a pilot…

If anything, make it a weapon selection by pressing square/X, and takes 5-10 seconds for the next one to load so as to keep from abusing it, or make it 3-5 seconds with only two flares, or just one-- I don't care, I want SOMETHING that gives me a chance to get away, dodge, or bail! FFS, I'll even take making the first rocket disable your engine(s) only, like air-to-air missiles between jets!

Edited by cdjen93

Yeah they exist...for now...

R* will soon abandon it and nobody will care. GTAV on next gen is much superior and will continue while the PS3 and X360 version will be abandon in favor of the better one. That's not a bad thing,you can't be stuck in 2013 forever...

KornbreadMaf1a

Jet and helicopter griefers had over a year of free reign against players on the ground. Now they complain because the once defenseless player has a way to defend themselves.

It sucks for unarmed aircraft and all but blame the griefers for forcing R*'s hand not the homing launcher.

Judicious 7

The best thing for unarmed aircraft is simply to fly higher than Homing Launcher range.

• Like 3

@Gridlock- ^^Those flares would scare off anything.

OT: Haha reverse griefing. I always make sure to have full launcher ammo.

The best thing for unarmed aircraft is simply to fly higher than Homing Launcher range.

Problem solved!

• Like 2

Furry_Monkey

So when the most dangerous vehicles in the game, capable of destroying other players repeatedly without mercy or pause, find themselves faced with a way to deter or defeat them, we should get a way to beat off the deterrent?

I'm not saying the OP is a jet bully (they might be - I don't know), but there are so many of them out there that most players on the ground need a way to defend themselves, otherwise it's basically spawn camping.

It's impossible to balance the game to the point where everyone is happy. I'm sorry, but consider yourself one of the unhappy ones or learn to handle the situation better.

• Like 2

ninjaontour

It's becoming a more common theme as time marches on, but you LG guys are really going to have to upgrade soon, or you'll be left in the dirt.

I'm pretty sure there was talk of PS3 support being cut very soon after heists because of memory limitations on the machine. Complaining that you have a gimped game because of limitations is silly. You have old hardware, and that's a fact. You can't expect to get all the shiny new toys and features that come with NG.

OT: No. All vehicles should not have countermeasures.

All military Harrier Jump Jets have cannons and missiles. Not all small Cessna's have flares/countermeasures. It's a dumb idea, and what passive mode is for. If passive doesn't work because you're on LG, see my comment above.

Edited by ninjaontour

Here is a radical suggestion: what if Homing Missiles could not lock on to unarmed aircraft? That way it gives them a fighting chance of dodging attacks, and if you want to kill an innocent pilot then you'll need a bit of skill to be a douche.

• Like 1

you'll need a bit of skill to be a douche.

This goes against everything GTA:O stands for.

Hang on a second... passive mode isn't even available in the new Deluxe Swift and Luxor, so that argument is out.

I think if every aircraft except the Besra, Lazer and Hydra got countermeasures, with a 30 second cooldown, activated by 'firing the aircraft's weapon' (or switching to that weapon when in Buzzard for example), that wouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Edited by Gaffa

LBCWorldWide

R* will soon abandon it and nobody will care. GTAV on next gen is much superior and will continue while the PS3 and X360 version will be abandon in favor of the better one. That's not a bad thing,you can't be stuck in 2013 forever...

They're the same damn game and YOU'RE only playing a PORT. Ignorant fool. Stay OT.

OT: flares could work, however, they would have to decide on a limit, how fast they can be fired and to what free button to assign to. As fast as jets can fire rockets, it would be incredibly stupid if I had to chase down some tool who is dropping a constant stream of unending flares...

LBC 😎

• Like 2

Yes it's the same game but it's a better version. It's so much better than Rockstar should stop caring for the last gen version.

Edited by D.A.

Okay, so when it comes to passive, apparently, despite the same features being applied in races (non-contact) and missions (vehicles with players in them CANNOT be damaged) and inability to use weapons in vehicles (Kuruma takes away some weapon options), implementing it anywhere else in the game is impossible because of "console limitations"… it can't handle features that were already there… makes so much sense… I mean, yeah, new gen is great and all that, but not all of us exactly have $500 just lying around (you know, food, electricity, car payments, water, rent, kinda takes away from being able to get it right away)… besides, when I upgrade, it's going to be when there are more games that are more worth making the switch. GTAV is not one of them, seeing that everything that "only new gen can handle" seems to be either little stupid/shiny, gimmicky things that hardly make a difference to actual gameplay (oooooh grasssss) or things that were left broken for no real reason (passive mode).

Second, R* brought in the homing launcher to BALANCE (all-caps because I want you to focus on that word and I'm going to say it again, BALANCE) fights between the ground and air. They failed at it. The biggest thing everyone was griping about was Lazer griefers; it kills everything EXCEPT the Lazer (unless the pilot just plain sucks). Choppers are basically a non-option around other players.

Why it's OP:

1. It takes almost literally no skill to use. You just point your whole damn screen in the general direction and you're good to go.

2. It turns too fast and makes U-turns. THIS THING U-TURNS. I know we're not exactly striving for realism here, but come on.

3. It's too slow. Yes, I just said it's too slow. It can't catch jets (well the Lazer really), but already kills choppers? How does this makes sense? (Hint: there will be a section of solutions, it'll make sense there.)

4. It's a one-explosion kill. If you have a guaranteed loss-of-vehicle, you might as well have a chance to bail.

How to fix:

1. Keep the reticle CENTERED. ALWAYS. Require the user to hold the reticle over their intended target from locking-on until firing. (You know the Stingers/Strelas/whatever from CoD? Yeah, like that. Probably the one good CoD example GTA can take a lesson from.) At least then you won't be blown away by someone who just looks at you with the thing.

2. Slow down its turning rate. It'd make it a little easier to dodge in helicopters.

3. Speed it's forward velocity up. Yep. Make it faster. Make it so it can catch the damn Lazer, but also not recover at all if it misses a chopper.

4. Weaken the impact and splash damage. Okay, I get something small like the Buzzard should easily die, but it is nimble enough to dodge (a little better after this is implemented). But something big like a freaking Savage or Annihilator or Cargobob or Titan should be able to take one hit and just kill the engines, the former moreso, since even if you try to bail, by the time you exit the canopy, the missile's there already.

A light chopper that can dodge can still be killed. A heavy chopper that can't dodge can at least take a hit to give the pilot a chance to bail. ANYTHING showing its ass-end (exhaust) towards the missile will get hit, guaranteed. Just taking the vehicle in question out of the fight can turn a battle. So either these changes to the launcher can be made or something as simple as a flare can be added.

Again, something to either fix the launcher or counter it, because right now, there is no way to stop it. BALANCE requires that everything a player can use has a counter to it or has some sort of trade-off. Insurgent is hard to blow up, but has weak windows. Kuruma nearly completely protects but you can't use explosives and it is vulnerable to explosions. Passive mode allows invincibility (except LG) at the cost of your weapons. Insurance counters poor explosive-happy-nitwits. Tanks counter bullets and explosives with armor. Guns counter… other… guns… Homing launcher counters… well, all vehicles actually at this point… a flare or ability to avoid it would counter the missile… it'd be a defensive measure that could only be used a couple times, so it wouldn't make the HL completely pointless to have, but at the same time it'd require some planning/skill.

And for those that say, "it's already been nerfed," no. No it hasn't. They slowed down the reload time a little and reduced range, which didn't matter when it's a near-guaranteed hit anyway. NERFING is when a weapon has been made near pointless.

Yes it's the same game but it's a better version. It's so much better than Rockstar should stop caring for the last gen version.

I don't blame your insensitivity. Why would you care about anyone on last gen anyway. You people need to stop telling people to upgrade, I will in due time when the game no longer receives satisfactory support.

• Like 1

Crunch McThornbody

It should be that the homing launcher only knocks off about half the armour of the flying vehicle you're in, especially the military ones, so it takes 2 homing missiles to take out a player in an armed airborne vehicle.

Homing Launcher should only lock onto aircraft with weapons.

It's pathetic you can't even fly planes through the city without the inevitable rocket blowing you up for an easy kill...

Homing Launcher shouldn't exist at all.

I miss the days when I had to use a Combat MG or Minigun to deal with players in helicopters and if someone was in a fighter jet you either hope they crash or try to snipe them until the jet explodes.

• Like 2

It should be that the homing launcher only knocks off about half the armour of the flying vehicle you're in, especially the military ones, so it takes 2 homing missiles to take out a player in an armed airborne vehicle.

Yeah, HL should do less damage than the RPG, so the RPG in my opinion should destroy any vehicle (within reason - tank & insurgent for example) with just one shot, whereas Homing Launcher should take two shots. Interestingly though, when I was flying in the Titan the other day, someone shot at me but I bailed out. The missile must have hit the big beast, but she didn't blow up, only tumbled to the ground. I know that the Hydra can survive one shot from the HL too.

With all these updates delivering more and more powerful weapons (and nerfing others) like air-to-air and surface-to-air weapons, we badly need flares. Unarmed choppers are sitting ducks. Even other aircrafts are powerless against the lazer.

We need at least flares as a countermeasure.

We don't need flares.. We need our blips removed from the radar.

Always on Blips are the true bane of this game. 99.9% of every kill in free roam is due to blips.

You in your unarmed chopper are only at risk because of blips.. everyone is at risk due to blips. Fact is, without blips, 99% of the hostile players in this game would have to really work at killing players, espeicially when in a fighter jet.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

i woud like to agree but personaly grieving choppers are now completely gone and it only requires a brain to know how to avoid players

either fly realy high or when there are buildings fly extra low :)

Passive mode on last gen was a big fail. Did R* honestly not see the players running over/killing in vehicle passive players? It pisses me off that they perfected it on next gen. "Console limitations"

then transfer

i personaly prefer to be still able to kill jet grievers that can not just avoid me by turning passive on

same for tanks

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Here is a radical suggestion: what if Homing Missiles could not lock on to unarmed aircraft? That way it gives them a fighting chance of dodging attacks, and if you want to kill an innocent pilot then you'll need a bit of skill to be a douche.

if this woud be implemented, that woud be great

still, then i woud for a huge buff on the homing launcher though, you know.....for the jets

besides the fact that you sound like a douche(forgive me to go offtopic, just like you did) i woud transfer as soon its sure the next mgs is gonna be great, just ike all of the passed ones and they remove the capabillity to go passive in anything thats armed :)