3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Your First GTA

Niko Montana

Ah, yes. When I was 8 years old I had a PlayStation 1 and I played Grand Theft Auto 1, then mom bought me Grand Theft Auto 2. It was so amazing. My dream was to play Grand Theft Auto III - my uncle had a good PC and he played it constantly, I couldn't, because my PC was a 1990's machine with Windows ME installed on it.... nevertheless, I installed Grand Theft Auto III and... well... it ran with 1 - 5 FPS (I still remember the moment I stole my first Perennial and tried to drive around). When I got a gaming PC (in 2005 standards) Grand Theft Auto III was the first game I installed and played. Damn, it was so amazing.

Edited by Americana
  • Like 2

I started playing in the late 90s when I used to rent games before buying them. GTA was a series I liked to rent, but not enough to buy until GTA III came out. That game was incredible.

Anyway my first GTA was, well, the first GTA.

Vice City, when it was new-ish. The entire prospect of an open game world that could be freely explored was mind-blowing at the time.

• Like 2

What's interesting, I've never cared about Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - all I wanted to play is Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Then I played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, as my uncle insisted. It was... okay. Now I really like it, though.

• Like 1

GTA IV - six years ago.

I used to mostly play shooters and roleplaygames (pc-only gamer) before touching a GTA game. I was aware of them, but never interested enough to try one. Then GTA 5 was released and created a lot of hype and that got my attention, as the pc port got announced. I started watching a 'let's play together' from two popular german let's players, that got me interested enough to take a closer look at the franchise. During the steam 2014 christmas sale I finally bought GTAIV + EFLC and started playing - for seven days straight from xmas to new years eve, about ten hours per day. It has been a long time that a game got me hooked up like this.

Vice City and San Andreas followed soon after, and then V when it got released in april 2015.

Never regreted any GTA purchase, they are all great games (single player) in their own way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

GTA III, when I first bought the Playstation II, in the early 2000s. Man, that's old.

GTA 2, someone lend me a copy in 2000 summer and I didn't stop of playing until unblock the third district, two friends of mine and me were competing to see who was the first to reach it, I think I lost but I don't remember well.

The truth is that looking back at then, I didn't even think GTA was going to became in which it is nowadays.

My first GTA was Vice City back in 2003 when I was 10 year old. Up that point I only played Pokemon games or Mario so it was quite the different experience.

I still remember how difficult missions like "Demolition Man" were, it took me hours to get through that back then.  Still love that game and even replayed it a few years ago. 

Edited by FanEu7

I'm old school. Started with GTA1.

11 hours ago, Mascaracan said:

GTA 2, someone lend me a copy in 2000 summer and I didn't stop of playing until unblock the third district, two friends of mine and me were competing to see who was the first to reach it, I think I lost but I don't remember well.

The truth is that looking back at then, I didn't even think GTA was going to became in which it is nowadays.

I didn't think it would either. But I knew as a kid playing GTA2 that it had potential. It just saddens me that Rockstar didn't utilize that potential of a GTA2-like game and instead of went a different route with it then what I hoped for. That's why I always say that GTA3 was the last game to feel like GTA to me.

Edited by Yinepi

It was either III or Vice City. What i did in III was, kill and run away from cops, f*ck with Dodo, i played the story for a while but not much. I also messed around a lot with the “lower gravity for cars” cheat.

In Vice City, i also did some car chases and i played this modded version a lot where some stuff are different and all vehicles have Turbo. I used to fly around with the PCJ-600.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 1:55 AM, Yinepi said:

I didn't think it would either. But I knew as a kid playing GTA2 that it had potential. It just saddens me that Rockstar didn't utilize that potential of a GTA2-like game and instead of went a different route with it then what I hoped for. That's why I always say that GTA3 was the last game to feel like GTA to me.

GTA 2 wasn't even that popular, it got mixed reviews and the sales were nothing special. The real GTA series started with GTA 3, it was groundbreaking.

Since then tis been the same overall formula, just improved + the difference is just that Rockstar puts more effort into the story and characters from VC onwards.

• Like 1

First gta I played was 2 on ps one in 2004.

Owned 3, Vice city and San Andreas on ps2 in 2004.

My first gta game on pc was GTA 3 in 2007.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, FanEu7 said:

GTA 2 wasn't even that popular, it got mixed reviews and the sales were nothing special. The real GTA series started with GTA 3, it was groundbreaking.

Since then tis been the same overall formula, just improved + the difference is just that Rockstar puts more effort into the story and characters from VC onwards.

That's subjective. My subjective view is that it started with GTA1.

As for story, I don't see why rockstar couldn't have kept the respect system and retro-futuristic dystopia vibe and still add more effort to the story and characters.

Edited by Yinepi

26 minutes ago, Yinepi said:

That's subjective. My subjective view is that it started with GTA1.

As for story, I don't see why rockstar couldn't have kept the respect system and retro-futuristic dystopia vibe and still add more effort to the story and characters.

Because they wanted to make a parody of America, futuristic settings are nothing special in comparison imho. I don't think the series would have been so popular if they didn't go with more iconic settings.

And something like the Respect system fits better in RPG games, not sure how it could fit with a more linear story like every GTA game since 3

• Like 1

RyanDri3957V

GTA SA on my PS2

MiamiViceCity1986
On 1/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, FanEu7 said:

Because they wanted to make a parody of America, futuristic settings are nothing special in comparison imho. I don't think the series would have been so popular if they didn't go with more iconic settings.

And something like the Respect system fits better in RPG games, not sure how it could fit with a more linear story like every GTA game since 3

As cool as GTA 2’s setting was I agree that a retro-futuristic or futuristic theme would wear thin if every game just followed suit. So we’d have GTA: Cyberpunk 2077? No thanks.

Part of what makes the series so appealing to me is it has something for everyone. Want 1980s Miami? Play Vice City/VCS, Want 1990s California? Play San Andreas. Want modern? GTA III, GTA IV/EFLC, GTA V, CTW has you covered and so on.

Fixating on one specific theme all this time would’ve been the death nail IMO.

In saying that I get his point about the gang respect system from GTA 2. I think a more advanced system would be neat. Like if we get another lone wolf type of character such as Niko or Claude again who are freelance criminals with no affiliation with a organisation/gang it would be awesome to actively shape your reputation/respect with other gangs.

Say you start getting cozy with one gang that could lead to exclusives missions for them and pissing off the others would come back to bite you. Or you could just piss all of them off or spread the love equally. This was something about GTA 2 I always felt was a little ahead of its time and I’m surprised it hasn’t been adapted/modernised since.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 3

San Andreas.

I kept failing the first mission in the game when I was 8 years old.

Edited by Fake Lilina

On 12/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, Yinepi said:

Interesting as the 2D universe games  seemed confused with its identity.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, KingAJ032304 said:

Interesting as the 2D universe games  seemed confused with its identity.

This can be said about the earlier games of most series though. In the beginning they're usually experimenting, but I feel, in relation to GTA, that it was at its best when they were willing to experiment.

Bootleg version of vcs for the psp which has the theme song playing on all stations

I was like 6 and i thought it was the coolest thing ever

Edited by DownInThePMs