2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

FACT: The SA map is bigger than the V map

XCalinX

I finally played SA after a while and after I unlocked San Fierro I realized there's absolutely no way the GTA V map is bigger than the SA map. I've seen a lot of images with poor scaling. on google showing how the V map is 'bigger' than SA, like this one.

2013-09-11-image-5.jpg

I think the GTA V map is 3/4 the size of SA, and I also don't see what the f*ck was wrong with the old Los Santos. They could have just added some extra streets to it and call it a day, not create a brand new one of the same size.

gangster2332

gta v map is bigger. theres no way you can drive around the whole map within 10 minutes. where as in sa u can

Too me it's a difficult decision. The map MIGHT be bigger than SA's but there's no way the map is bigger than SA, Red Dead, and GTA IV combined like they claimed.

TheAdmiester

Yeah, so much bigger...

dpEAlpc.jpg

The LSX runway in V is like the distance between LS and SF in SA. SA was tiny, it's just foggy and mysterious to hide that.

Too me it's a difficult decision. The map MIGHT be bigger than SA's but there's no way the map is bigger than SA, Red Dead, and GTA IV combined like they claimed.

This x 500

SA is big but its not as big as V.. sorry.. but yeah the V map is not incredibly huge. I wish they spent more time with land development than underwater.

VWSTp.png

Son of Zeus

gta v map is bigger. theres no way you can drive around the whole map within 10 minutes. where as in sa u can

Actually you can in V too. Just drive on the highway that makes a loop around the map.

OT: V map is bigger. However, R* were clearly bullsh*tting when they said that V map= SA map + IV map + RDR map.

That's bullsh*t.

SA map= 13.5 square miles.

IV map = 6.25 square miles.

RDR map= 11.5 square miles.

V map = 20.25 square miles.

Edited by Son of Zeus
  • Like 3

V map is bigger imo. I'm not to sure about this..i would have to compare them. Thier both pretty big maps.

Edited by GTA_The_Series

I already did a test drive from Bayside to LS Port in SA with the Perennial and from LS Airport to Paleto Bay in V with the F620. Yes you are hearing it right.

I used this in SA:

perennial%202b.JPG

And this in V:

20150510193917!OcelotF620-Front-GTAV.png

And I took a bit more than 5 minutes for BOTH drives. That truly speaks for the fact that V's map is bigger.

Also this here seems to be the most accurate map comparison:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/xml8cvaabd5dorg0umd4.jpg

V's map is much bigger, it might not feel bigger to you because of the draw distance but that doesn't change the fact that V's map is bigger.

That's bullsh*t.

OT: V map is bigger. However, R* were clearly bullsh*tting when they said that V map= SA map + IV map + RDR map.

Who says they were doing the measurement in square miles? They could have been going off file size ;P

• Like 3

* CLEO 4.3.22 - A?i?a?o?3D - UI SDK - Black Market Mod 1.0.1 - GInput 0.3 - Cheat Keyboard - Tactile Cheat Activation - Stream Ini Extender 0.7 - SuperVars - ScrDebug - Vigilante Justice: San Andreas *

blcamsr.gif

SCRambl: the SCR/GTA3script Assembler

GTAG Modding (NEW URL - RIP GTAGaming!) - Opcode Database
[table]

Twitter - YoutubeUpdated: 30th May (long live modding! And boycott TakeTwo)[/table]

SA feels bigger because of the mist, the small roads and the overall feeling, which the didn't catch in V.

In V we have pretty much 3 types of land, and that's rocky desert, city and mountains, where in SA we had over 10.

Fact: You're f*cking retarded.

Edited by J Cobra

Actually you can in V too. Just drive on the highway that makes a loop around the map.

That's bullsh*t.

GTA V is a lot more than 20.25 square miles and Rockstar never lied when they said that.

V map is obviously bigger than SA map. There can be no two arguments over the map size.

But, I can clearly say, based on my personal experiences with both maps, that SA was the best map in feeling massive, dense, highly fun and filled with more interesting stuff to explore, and of course, a LOT more to do.

V map has an upper hand over SA map only on looks, details, and well, animals to piss off.

Rest everything was super boring, and super lacking with super sh*tty things to do.

That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

No. It just feels bigger because it takes ages to unlock a different island.

And the sh*tty drawn distance.

SA feels bigger because of the mist, the small roads and the overall feeling, which the didn't catch in V.

In V we have pretty much 3 types of land, and that's rocky desert, city and mountains, where in SA we had over 10.

Could you please name all types of land SA has? :lol:

HOW'S ANNIE?

You're wrong, and that's fact. This isn't even an opinionative thing. Why SA's map feels bigger is down to two things: multiple cities and the draw distance.

The moment you play, or at least watch, a video of, a modded copy of San Andreas with better draw distance you can see that SA's map is only just a bit bigger than IV.

Could you please name all types of land SA has? :lol:

Maybe not 10 but we got alot more in SA.

We got desert, desert cliffs, hills, mountains, cities, proper forests and more suburbs/hoods per square mile of the map.

We got desert, desert cliffs, hills, mountains, cities, proper forests and more suburbs/hoods per square mile of the map.

Lol, most of that is in V, the only things that aren't are multiple cities, other than that V map offers just as much or even more environments. Hills, mountains, desert and desert rocks, forest (and I'm not talking about Paleto Forest), a bigger city, suburbs, valleys, canyons, even wetland which don't exist in SA, rivers and waterfalls (again doesn't exist in SA).

Now that I think of it, considering that V's map is only based on Southern California while SA's map is based on California and Nevada, V's map is extremely diverse. So much for "3 types of land". :lol:

• Like 2

The Map of V is bigger, of course. But many feel GTA:SA's map is bigger, because it was way huge and ambitious at it's release (2004). If you get used to playing GTA:VC, you might feel GTA:SA's map is extremely huge.

And at most times, even though I know GTAV has a bigger map, I feel the map is quite small. Got excited when R* said it was bigger than GTA4, GTASA and RDR maps combined, but it wasn't. Majority of the GTAV took place in the same areas of Los Santos, so the map felt smaller. In GTASA, I felt the map was bigger, because I knew that travelling to the other cities took a long time, as not much fast cars spawned in LS, and the only way to go besides driving is to use the planes.

tl;dr GTAV has a bigger map.

I actually dislike bigger maps with wide open, empty spaces, with less things to interact or do. It just becomes boring soon. Smaller maps, vast amount of interactions, and things to play was something they could have easily offered with V.

Here's hoping VI won't be bigger than V, at least.

• Like 1

Son of Zeus

I actually dislike bigger maps with wide open, empty spaces, with less things to interact or do. It just becomes boring soon. Smaller maps, vast amount of interactions, and things to play was something they could have easily offered with V.

Here's hoping VI won't be bigger than V, at least.

Layout of SA map was much more enjoyable. The Draw Distance helped a lot. Going in Back O' Beyond and bring enshrouded by mist was a creepy experience. Bone County felt like a proper desert.

Standing in The 'Grand' Senora desert is enough to see that it's anything but grand. The better draw distance is a disadvantage of V map.

Yeah, so much bigger...

dpEAlpc.jpg

The LSX runway in V is like the distance between LS and SF in SA. SA was tiny, it's just foggy and mysterious to hide that.

Where did you get that pic dude?

Lol, most of that is in V, the only things that aren't are multiple cities, other than that V map offers just as much or even more environments. Hills, mountains, desert and desert rocks, forest (and I'm not talking about Paleto Forest), a bigger city, suburbs, valleys, canyons, even wetland which don't exist in SA, rivers and waterfalls (again doesn't exist in SA).

Now that I think of it, considering that V's map is only based on Southern California while SA's map is based on California and Nevada, V's map is extremely diverse. So much for "3 types of land". :lol:

Oh shattap yer V fanboy.

:p

#GtaIVandSA4life

Big Gta fan

Guys just make a mod to lower down the drew distance,and make cars slower,with cars appears suddenly in front of you

and there you have it,the biggest map of all games

anyway,

i think what we should be discussing here,is about the impact of sa's map was more than Vs map,regardless in which games is actually bigger

GamesBoy316

I feel that the San Andreas map is bigger than GTA V. There's more places in that game too like forests, caves, interiors, and cities. Even I think Mount Chiliad is bigger than the one in GTA V. The "forest" in GTA V isn't even a real one since the road is right in the middle of it. Also that picture of San Andreas isn't even the whole map.

Edited by GamesBoy316

Having the draw distance smaller and closer for a map like GTA SA makes more sense, so that you don't get teased by LV or SF each time you are flying over LS before the story allowed you to unlock them without having any wanted stars. I always assumed console limitations in this case, which maybe true as well, but its important as well to care about visibility on a map featuring three cities by making the map feel like its a state called SA.

V map definitely feels bigger and likely built with bigger visibility and much better draw distance because there was nothing to break the immersion by having another big city surrounding the borders. The only gripe is the design and layout and not the draw distance. Wider roads, empty spaces and many areas felt like ghost towns. The map feels bigger just for the sake of it. Areas outside the LS could have been better done with some additional mini city or two, etc.

Edited by Osho

Igor Bogdanoff

Fact: This thread is pointless.