3. Suggestions

Bottlenecking, CPU or GPU ?

FilipCRO

First of, my rig:

i5 4690k @ 4,2 GHz

GTX 970 G1 OCd

8 GB of RAM (1866 MHz)

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Playing in 1080p FXAA , at LOCKED 45 FPS (ingame Vsync enabled), everything maxed out except : high res. shadows, MSAA, grass quality (very high),

Okay, sometimes when flying a helicopter or driving a car in LS, I get FPS drops from 45 to around 40, and in that very moment, my CPU USAGE (all 4 cores) is at 90 % and higher, while at the same time my GPU usage is around 50-70 %. So does that mean that my CPU is bottlenecking or what ? Becase I have seen some benchamarks and the i5 4690k has the same performance as the i7 4790k in GTAV ! so it should be a good CPU, I mean, its a frickin i5 !!

I dont want to tweak my settings, the game looks fine as it is right now. But if I wanted to improve my framerate in this game (1080p, almost maxed out), should I buy a new GPU (probably a GTX 980 Ti) or a new CPU ?

Monitor your HDD r/w activity as well - if it's nearing or at 100% during those drops post again for answer

Edited by 6AR HC gsc

I dont want to tweak my settings, the game looks fine as it is right now. But if I wanted to improve my framerate in this game (1080p, almost maxed out), should I buy a new GPU (probably a GTX 980 Ti) or a new CPU ?

Even with my rig, there are drops at times.

You cant solve it. Its the game's limitation.

If you want MSAA with constant 60+ fps, you will need at least 2 980Ti or Titan X.

Monitor your HDD r/w activity as well - if it's nearing or at 100% during those drops post again for answer

How can I monitor my HDD activity ?

btw. my game is installed on my Western Digital HDD 1 TB Black version, my OS is on an Intel SSD. The hard drive is defragmented. I think it shouldn`t be a problem.

Even with my rig, there are drops at times.

You cant solve it. Its the game's limitation.

If you want MSAA with constant 60+ fps, you will need at least 2 980Ti or Titan X.

I wouldn`t even use the ingame MSAA, its broken and its a performance hog. But for example, if I get one 980 Ti, would I get a 15 FPS boost like in the benchmarks here (http://0cb8dd5d2dc142d08f0f-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.r94.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/rZIrJ2NCNI_a.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg), regardless of my current high CPU usage ?? I think that my high CPU usage is cause by the impossibility of my GTX 970 to cope with very high graphics settings (advanced distance scaling for example...)

You got pagefile enabled? If so and its on HDD and HDD activity is at 100% and game stutters you gotta turn it off or move to SSD if you absolutely need it

With your rig, GPU or CPU can't be bottlenecked by your CPU or GPU (this kind of CPU could be bottlenecked only with the 1300 or 1400 futures nvidia series.... we have the time).

With your rig, no existent games (even the most greedy) can push your CPU or GPU to be bottlenecked. You can play every new games in ultra settings with your rigs, because with my rigs I can play all every new games in Ultra (except GTA V while I can play in ultra others games with a Open World more larger and more detailed/realistic (textures), with Hi-Mid 3D models everywhere and better foliage than the GTA 5 world with low and flat 3D models everywhere).

Performances are just bottlenecked by Rage engine only. With your rig and have some drop to 40FPS and 45FPS in average with high and ultra settings (for the less greediest) it's totally unbelievable. Then yes, the problem come from this "console optimized only" Rage engine... .

Edited by Thalyn

edit: oops wrong topic.

but you see my specs in my sig, the GFX card is my bottleneck ;)

Edited by Gforce

This game clearly benefits from hyperthreading. If 4690K is around 90% usage, my 4790K maxes at 50% (very rarely), usually around 40-45% total cpu usage. Could be due to my 980gtx G1 gaming ? I don't know. But I'm glad I did not listen to the i7 nay sayers for gaming.

980Ti is a beast of a card. But too pricey, 650$ plus. If you do it, get gigabyte g1 980ti.

The new msi afterburner 4.1.1 has cpu temp(max core temp) and total cpu usage monitoring. Enable those and see.

Edited by mahanddeem
  • Like 1

You got pagefile enabled? If so and its on HDD and HDD activity is at 100% and game stutters you gotta turn it off or move to SSD if you absolutely need it

So I had a system managed pagefile on my system partition (SSD). I have now set a new pagefile on my HDD where GTA V is installed (initial size:4573 MB, maximum size: 16 GB). Now my game runs better, CPU usage maxes at 75 %. I found this advice here : https://m.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/349gzy/nonstandard_fixed_and_tweaks_for_performance/

About buying a second 970, I cant do that. I would need to buy me a stronger PSU and I would need an new i7 CPU because an i5 is not sufficient for running 2 GPUs in SLI...

Edited by FicZGB

Did you try to disable pagefile all together and test? Especially if you have 16gb ram

So I had a system managed pagefile on my system partition (SSD). I have now set a new pagefile on my HDD where GTA V is installed (initial size:4573 MB, maximum size: 16 GB). Now my game runs better, CPU usage maxes at 75 %. I found this advice here : https://m.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/349gzy/nonstandard_fixed_and_tweaks_for_performance/

Try turning it off altogether - the pagefile that is - see how it runs then

I have 8GB ram and PF turned off, game runs fine and smooth after playing around w the stutters trying to get rid of them with all the snake oil fixes out there

SM00V OPERATOR

This game clearly benefits from hyperthreading. If 4690K is around 90% usage, my 4790K maxes at 50% (very rarely), usually around 40-45% total cpu usage.

This is the exact reason I would rather spend $100 more on an i7 vs an i5...

Update here, I noticed much smoother gameplay in pagefile enabled rather than disabled. I have 16GB 2400MHz ram.

I have 8GB ram and PF turned off, game runs fine and smooth after playing around w the stutters trying to get rid of them with all the snake oil fixes out there

I tried what you said. I disabled the 2 pagefiles I had. Game wont even start lol. I launch the game and while it loads, I get a low memory error.

Either way, people, dont disable your pagefile. Its there for a reason and it shouldnt be disabled never.

I`m going back to having 2 pagefiles (C: SSD system partition and D: HDD partition where my game is installed)

I have basically the same system as you, and I have everything in regular graphic settings maxed out except MSAA I believe, and have everything off in advanced and I get solid 60FPS never any lag spikes at all

I tried what you said. I disabled the 2 pagefiles I had. Game wont even start lol. I launch the game and while it loads, I get a low memory error.

Either way, people, dont disable your pagefile. Its there for a reason and it shouldnt be disabled never.

I`m going back to having 2 pagefiles (C: SSD system partition and D: HDD partition where my game is installed)

If you get a "low memory error" somethings wrong with your Windows install in the first place - wondering how much crapware you have autostarting with it - the game consumes about 5.5-6GB RAM when loading initially, rising to 7GB after hours of play, from LS to SS and back - under certain circumstances - ie spawning a lot of different skins over and over as well as vehicles / objects i get a low memory warning but that is a memory leak within the game supposedly fixed in the 372 update - anyway, whatever works best for you

This is the exact reason I would rather spend $100 more on an i7 vs an i5...

Or you know... Save $100 and get a Xeon instead of an i7. Edited by TheMcSame

Guys, how can I check if my hard drive is causing framerate drops ?

Is there a tool or something...

I have my game installed on this hard drive (WD 1 TB Black version) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 , its defragmented and relatively new.

My OS is installed on my SSD, and I have 40 GB free space left, so I can`t install GTAV on it.

Edited by FicZGB

I have my game installed on this hard drive (WD 1 TB Black version) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 , its defragmented and relatively new.

My OS is installed on my SSD, and I have 40 GB free space left, so I can`t install GTAV on it.

Does somebody know ?

SuperSaiyanHazza

Does somebody know ?

There is a tool on wd page to check if your hdd has problems.Too lazy to search for it :D

TempAccount

With your rig, GPU or CPU can't be bottlenecked by your CPU or GPU (this kind of CPU could be bottlenecked only with the 1300 or 1400 futures nvidia series.... we have the time).

With your rig, no existent games (even the most greedy) can push your CPU or GPU to be bottlenecked. You can play every new games in ultra settings with your rigs, because with my rigs I can play all every new games in Ultra (except GTA V while I can play in ultra others games with a Open World more larger and more detailed/realistic (textures), with Hi-Mid 3D models everywhere and better foliage than the GTA 5 world with low and flat 3D models everywhere).

Performances are just bottlenecked by Rage engine only. With your rig and have some drop to 40FPS and 45FPS in average with high and ultra settings (for the less greediest) it's totally unbelievable. Then yes, the problem come from this "console optimized only" Rage engine... .

I run 60fps / 50fps (driving) in an fx 8320 and 280x with little to no OC on exactly the same settings has you! I must be lucky i guess.

Does somebody know ?

There is a tool on wd page to check if your hdd has problems.Too lazy to search for it :D

I already used that tool, that tool is only for checking if your HDD is functional.

I just want to know : How can I check if my hard drive is causing framerate drops ?

Edited by FicZGB

I already used that tool, that tool is only for checking if your HDD is functional.

I just want to know : How can I check if my hard drive is causing framerate drops ?

I guess you could check the drive activity but I'm not sure if that'd be a reliable method. Other than that I don't really think there's much that you can do short of moving it to an ssd.

Edited by TheMcSame

Does somebody know ?

run HWinfo and RTSS ( riva tuner statistics server) - overlay from RTSS in game, configure sensors to be shown in RTSS overlay in HWInfo, enable HW activity to be shown