2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Marksman vs Heavy

Treys

I'm the type of player that sticks to, if you cant beat them, join them. So yes, I use the marksman because if I try to use the heavy sniper I get spammed. Some people are extremely good at the marksman so you are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't use it against a decent player. I do miss the good ole days though where the heavy sniper was thing to do. Accuracy, timing, angle, to me sniping took more skill back then. This is an opinion, not a bitch and moan, I adjusted, and I use the marksman now. Lol, it just reminds me of quickscoping and sniping in Black ops 2 and getting spammed with an SVU by your opponent.

Happy Sniping!

• Like 6

Arrows to Athens

These days Rockstar is making everything easier by adding OP weapons or weapons that are easier to use. The Marksman and the Homing launcher for example.

Edited by Fearx--

I use the heavy exclusively, unless I'm fighting a low level in which case I use a hand gun.... it sucks that you let others dictate your tactics.

I don't think it's ruined sniping at all, it's ruined you maybe, but not the art.

Edited by TreFacTor
  • Like 7

ThaBirdCoot

Nope, you are only at a disadvantage if you let them come too close heavy sniper still kicks the marksman's ass all day long.

I use the heavy exclusively, unless I'm fighting a low level in which case I use a hand gun.... it sucks that you let others dictate your tactics.

I don't think it's ruined sniping at all, it's ruined you maybe, but not the art.

I gave an opinion. Just say you disagree. As far as ruining me I have a life outside the game so thats doubtful. As far as letting others dictate your tactics, you are correct, thats call logic, not "sucks". You adjust to others playstyle. Simple.

Nope, you are only at a disadvantage if you let them come too close heavy sniper still kicks the marksman's ass all day long.

I may work with the heavy sniper more days to come. Another question I have for. I just recently switched to PS4, is there no variable zoom on the heavy in PS4? There was one on PS3.

I gave an opinion. Just say you disagree. As far as ruining me I have a life outside the game so thats doubtful. As far as letting others dictate your tactics, you are correct, thats call logic, not "sucks". You adjust to others playstyle. Simple.

If your tactics are solid you never need to adjust...ever played chess? Besides I wasnt the one who posted this dumb repetitive topic. (how long has the gun been in the game again...)

Edited by TreFacTor

Marksman is the only sniper I'm good (in a noob way) with. I'm sh*t with the heavy, partly because of my joypad, but also because my eyes are sh*t and I can't afford a massive T.V....but also because I'm sh*t.

• Like 5

RayBanNeonColors420

Takes more skill to hit someone while your moving and they're moving then just standing still op. Sitting stationary is for the campers who can't gun battle IMO.

By move I mean strafing ect

Edited by RayBanNeonColors420

CarimboHanky

i dont think it ruined sniping, i think the addition of the marksman force people into being more selective with it target, the location, etc etc...

i dont know in newgen but on ps3 the marksman and the other rifles have the same range.

back in the day it was sniper rifle vs sniper rifle, whoever managed to zoom, aim and fire first was the likely winner.

now not so much!

Takes more skill to hit someone while your moving and they're moving then just standing still op. Sitting stationary is for the campers who can't gun battle IMO.

one can move with the heavy sniper too

CaptainMental

I quite recently discovered the marksman rifle. I always thought it was a piece of junk. Now its almost the only weapon I use.

lilmoonpie

f*cking marksman's my Kryptonite. I can hang with anyone in the game who isn't particularly good at the marksman rifle. If you can even vaguely shoot the thing, I'm in trouble. It's not the rifle or game's fault, I just have to get better at defending against it. It's just a hole in my game.

I've seen - on multiple occasions - one guy with a marksman rifle beat three of us in my crew without too much of a problem. It's a tricky gun to defend if everyone else is used to using the heavy, because by the time you've started to line up a shot with the heavy, the person with the marksman's already shot you four-five times.

Guy the other day was exceptional at the marksman, so I tried to cut off his distance by staying closer to him and forcing him to think about using other weapons. I fared better then.

If I could only give one piece of advice to newbies, period, it'd be "get the marksman and get used to using it and get good at it." Truly a game-changing gun.

Edited by lilmoonpie
  • Like 6

RayBanNeonColors420

i dont think it ruined sniping, i think the addition of the marksman force people into being more selective with it target, the location, etc etc...

i dont know in newgen but on ps3 the marksman and the other rifles have the same range.

back in the day it was sniper rifle vs sniper rifle, whoever managed to zoom, aim and fire first was the likely winner.

now not so much!

one can move with the heavy sniper too

Oh I know lol

I also enjoyed it better when there wasn't any option to move whilst zoomed in/ in scope view.

Nowadays it's like everyone is doing Zorba the Greek just to get a shot on target.

Edited by Gaffa

bloatedsack

I may work with the heavy sniper more days to come. Another question I have for. I just recently switched to PS4, is there no variable zoom on the heavy in PS4? There was one on PS3.

Up and down on the D-pad.

I almost never get sniped in death matches. The assault shotgun has killed me twice as often as the next weapon, which is a special carbine. Guess it would be different if I played free roam.

Lol, they came from the PS3 so the control shouldn't have changed.

Probably best check the in-game settings of the controller mapping. It should still be Up and Down as stated above, but if that's not working you may be required to open a Support ticket. Sorry!

Bingo, thanks. On my PS3 for whatever reason it was the Right analog, up to zoom in, down to zoom out.

Edited by Treys
  • Like 1

Bingo, thanks. On my PS3 for whatever reason it was the Right analog, up to zoom in, down to zoom out.

Bah my post is nulled into uselessness! Do you have your PS3 controller set to FPS or Southpaw or something?

If your tactics are solid you never need to adjust...ever played chess? Besides I wasnt the one who posted this dumb repetitive topic. (how long has the gun been in the game again...)

Only person complaining here is you. Hmm, how about this, go make a topic on the Bitch and Moan thread about reading post you aren't interested in. Or you could simply, I don't know....just not click on the topic. As far adjusting. I still disagree with you on your tactics viewpoint. You make moves off the other player, otherwise it would just be like playing AI, or the computer. I'm sure you'll probably respond with some insult, or condescending statement. Others have made good points, you've done nothing short of just complain and attempt to insult.

Edited by Treys

CarimboHanky

Bah my post is nulled into uselessness! Do you have your PS3 controller set to FPS or Southpaw or something?

under normal settings you zoom with the right analog.

if you activate the "move while scoping" thing, then you zoom with the d-pad

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification... just goes to show I've been playing the game that long I'd just thought that was available from the beginning. Anyway, I've said too much in this thread!

I must have missed out on this somehow, I've only been using the heavy. I need to try that "marksman" next time I play. I think I saw it in the store once and mistook it for another stupid dlc gun.

Edited by Gutslab

So I guess variety is a bad thing huh?

Nope just a personal preference. I didnt start a thread like alot that scream "The Marksman rifle needs to nerfed!!" or "The Marksman rifle is OP". Stated neither one.

try killing people with the marksman on top of a tall building

• Like 2

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

not realy