3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is the Savage worth getting?

RmpTebow15

RmpTebow15

So I've been wondering about getting the savage lately and wanted some other opinions. I have about 1.4 million currently and am thinking about getting the savage. Is it worth it's 1.9 million price tag? Advice appreciated in advance...

The Intellect

If you are a master at flying a buzzard, yes. If not keep practicing with the buzzard until you can get kills with the machine gun pretty regularly.

The Lone Wanderer

only for missions and only if you don't have the buzzard.

I have it, and no, not worth the money.

For player kills in freeroam - useless, the first rocket will blow you to pieces. Use Hydra instead.

For missions - well enough, but its only advantage compared to Buzzard and Hydra is increased firepower, which is excessive. Yes your gun opens a portal to hell, but NPCs die all the same, and you have no tanks or Insurgents to fight. Yes you can fire rockets nonstop, but the lock on time for them prevents you from firing them at the maximum rate. And no target needs more then one rocket anyway. I noticed that I tend to take Hydra for missions more, real damage output stays the same, but it is more versatile in other ways.

It is also very clumbersome to fly, compared to Buzzard.

Same armor.

So I say, get Hydra, or Buzzard to save the money.

RmpTebow15

I have it, and no, not worth the money.

For player kills in freeroam - useless, the first rocket will blow you to pieces. Use Hydra instead.

For missions - well enough, but its only advantage compared to Buzzard and Hydra is increased firepower, which is excessive. Yes your gun opens a portal to hell, but NPCs die all the same, and you have no tanks or Insurgents to fight. Yes you can fire rockets nonstop, but the lock on time for them prevents you from firing them at the maximum rate. And no target needs more then one rocket anyway. I noticed that I tend to take Hydra for missions more, real damage output stays the same, but it is more versatile in other ways.

It is also very clumbersome to fly, compared to Buzzard.

Same armor.

So I say, get Hydra, or Buzzard to save the money.

I obviously want the hydra, but obviously it's a bit higher than what I want at 3 million. Of course it may be worth that price as it seems to be a helicopter and jet combined. People seem to be split on the savage.

@RmpTebow15

Savage looks awesome (ahh, that Soviet military machinery feel, I sort of miss my BTR-80 training at that moment) which gives it "dat feel" and at first you have fun with how fast you can shoot rockets. Then you realize that you are really just launching fireworks.

Oh, and your co-pilot has no weapon like in Buzzard. And my friends who tried to play airforce snipers from back seats were always shot from the ground first :(

So if you want it for aesthetic reasons - go ahead, sure. If you are looking into its efficiency - I have yet to see somebody explain how it is better then other vehicles.

PS A short instruction on how to shoot down a Savage as Hydra:

1. Take rockets.

2. Open gear to slow down if they are using the MG, go at full speed otherwise.

3. Lock on target, shoot.

4. Dodge their missiles / jog away if they used MG (it has shorter range then rockets, so you will never be in their range).

5. Watch them helplessly meet your rocket.

PPS A short instruction on how to shoot down a Hydra as Savage:

1. Watch the radar closely for a Hydra sinature to appear.

2. When spotted a Hydra, turn the chopper to face them immediatly.

3. Wait for Hydra to approach.

4. Eject and use your chute to survive.

5. Watch the chopper explode behind your back. Do not look back with the character himself.

6. Land and use your bazooka to shoot down the plane.

Edited by Vemundr

Shadowfennekin

If just for FR, no. It's fun but slow as hell.

If using it for missions and FR, yes

• Like 1

RmpTebow15

If just for FR, no. It's fun but slow as hell.

If using it for missions and FR, yes

I'd prolly use it more for missions than free roam. With the abuse of homing launchers by some players obviously I'd be an easy target.

• Like 1

Verstappen

Don't forget that you can get a 10% discount from Warstock if you stalk them! Which makes a Hydra 2.7m to buy instead of 3m.

Works only one time on any Warstock vehicle, but you need the original price of the vehicle in your pocket to be able to use the discount.

Edited by Verstappen
  • Like 1

The Lone Wanderer

just save for the hydra

you'll regret the savage quickly.

CaptainMental

I have actually encountered pilots who master the Savage, they can kill people several times without the victims getting the lock on with the homing launcher.

• Like 1

professor-brainiac

I think it's a welcome change from the buzzard even though it's not as fast or easy to maneuver. It's looks pretty awesome and the exploding machine gun shells are also pretty cool.

Zoots Remuvah

Yes. Using off radar with it makes it perfect for taking out tanks or snipers in high places... you can fly in low and the explosive cannon causes complete and utter carnage..

Like I say, trick is to keep low, pop up, take out target, leave area...

TacoSmuggler

As everyone has said, depends on where and when you plan to use it... I personally don't like it.

Try one out and see what you think?

Yes. Using off radar with it makes it perfect for taking out tanks or snipers in high places... you can fly in low and the explosive cannon causes complete and utter carnage..

Like I say, trick is to keep low, pop up, take out target, leave area...

I go off radar in Hydra to shoot other hydras. Tanks are sitting ducks, you go high above them, then dive, they have no chance to aim you at all. Snipers... I dunno, just strafe people on foot. Could go off radar and hover mode I guess though.

I haven't got a Savage but I've been on the receiving end a few times so I'm thinking the answer is "yes".

• Like 2

DentureDynamite

IMO, if you have extra cash that's burning a hole in your pocket, and do a lot of missions (like Los Santos Connection and Titan of a Job), then it's an option.

But the Buzzard is hard to beat for price, practicality, speed, and flexibility.

BTW, part of the key to chopper "survival" from NPC terminators is approaching your target slowly, and stopping as soon as targets start showing up; then try and hover as best you can at max range while you pummel them. That should avoid some of the damage to passengers and chopper alike.

I found this works at least for "Dish the Dirt" where the two/three snipers camping in the radar dishes are incredibly deadly when you get too close.

I haven't got a Savage but I've been on the receiving end a few times so I'm thinking the answer is "yes".

lol "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? ;)

Edited by DentureDynamite

Mattyp1514

Get a buzzard or a hydra if you have the cash. The Savage is fun, and is more of a show piece, but as an above poster said 1 rocket works just fine.

RmpTebow15

After reading I may just end up saving for the hydra. Have already made 200K this morning off flat out missions.

Grumpy-Goat-

I have every Pegasus vehicle in the game, and the only one I regret buying is the savage.

MuhNamesTyler

I have every Pegasus vehicle in the game, and the only one I regret buying is the savage.

Agreed, Rental Shuttle Bus is much better

• Like 3

Verstappen

totally, fits more people. :p

I skipped the buzzard and bought the savage I only use it in missions mostly,I like it and could fly it well.

markyhitch

I bought the hydra and, it's so good, I need not play missions with randoms ever again!

The First Hunter

If you have hydra or buzzard (I mean if you have a fast machine) go buy it!

If you don't have hydra or buzzard i recommend yo to buy buzzard first!

I bought the hydra immediately after the EMP setup and used it to make money for savage!

Don't regret it at all! Cuz i have both fire power and speed

It's insanely good for missions, but even a monkey could shoot one down with a homing rocket.

Hydra is better for Freeroam, but the Savage is best for missions, because it spawns at helipad and has no missile cooldown.

I'd say it's worth it if you already have a Hydra. If not, save up for one of those instead.

• Like 1