2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Which Graphic settings affect CPU performance.

southparkmayor

southparkmayor

As you may know GTA V is a very intensive CPU bound game. So I'd like to know which settings affect or dont affect the CPU. For example I know that texture quality has no virtually no effect to CPU performacne (i think and hope so) And is dependent on VRAM. However im uncertain regarding the other settings. If you know for certain which graphic settings directly affect CPU performance then could you point them out?

It is a CPU bound game. I have an i5 4690k OCd @ 4,2 GHz, 8 gb of Ram. I play at locked 45 FPS, 1080p, almost maxed out!

Sometimes when flying a helicopter or similar in LS, I get FPS drops from 45 to around 40, and in that very moment, my CPU USAGE (all 4 cores) is at 90 % and higher, while at the same time my GPU usage is around 70 %. So does that mean that my CPU is weak or what ? Becase I have seen some benchamarks and the i5 4690k has the same performance as the i7 4790k in GTAV !

I was looking forward to upgrade my GPU (GTX 970) in a few weeks time, going to buy a GTX 980 Ti, but now I`m not sure should I upgrade my CPU as well....

southparkmayor

It is a CPU bound game. I have an i5 4690k OCd @ 4,2 GHz, 8 gb of Ram. I play at locked 45 FPS, 1080p, almost maxed out!

Sometimes when flying a helicopter or similar in LS, I get FPS drops from 45 to around 40, and in that very moment, my CPU USAGE (all 4 cores) is at 90 % and higher, while at the same time my GPU usage is around 70 %. So does that mean that my CPU is weak or what ? Becase I have seen some benchamarks and the i5 4690k has the same performance as the i7 4790k in GTAV !

I was looking forward to upgrade my GPU (GTX 970) in a few weeks time, going to buy a GTX 980 Ti, but now I`m not sure should I upgrade my CPU as well....

Your CPU should be good enough. You should perhaps lower some settings. especially postFX and advanced settings. You should defrag your hard drive and clean install drivers. dust out your computer too. The last patch actually ruined performance. So hopefully R* is working on a patch that'll fix all the bad performance, stutter, pop ins (The pop ins are so horrible!!) and more.

I'm aware of the fact that this game is more dependent on CPU. But not by a large margin than GPU.

Btw, there isn't any specific setting that affects performance on the basis of CPU capability. CPU is responsible for processing large volumes of data, which helps in overall better performance.

mahanddeem

It's not scientifically right to say what option is cpu intensive and what is completely not affected by cpu. CPU affects everything albeit to a varying degrees. Yes texture quality is not intensively affected by cpu like things like shadows, post fx, draw distance.

The only thing is to try yourself and see.

For the one who said 4690k at 90% usage, wow my 4790k(stock) never goes above 60% on any core, yes it's more powerful but still 4690k at 4.2 should be also very capable cpu. HT that needed in this game? I don't know could be

Edited by mahanddeem

Russi4nW4rrior

You know what's weird I have the exact opposite I get better fps in the sky then on the ground. About 5 to 10 fps more on average.

Wonder what your settings are..

We have the same specs (In signature)

I am using the Nvidia Geforce Expierence Optimal settings on 1920x1080 Resolution and my FPS is stuck on 60fps never does it have any spikes

CPU is not overclocked, and cooled by h100i

All my advanced graphics are off and MSAA is off by default but everything else is maxed out

I am using the Nvidia Geforce Expierence Optimal settings on 1920x1080 Resolution and my FPS is stuck on 60fps never does it have any spikes

All my advanced graphics are off and MSAA is off by default but everything else is maxed out

Well, I play in 1080p, everything maxed out, except MSAA which I dont use, grass quality set to Very high, High res. shadows are OFF, everything else is on ultra. I noticed that when I disable the "Advanced distance scaling" in the advanced settings, then I get no high CPU usage and no more stuttering. But that introduces more annoying pop-ups.

I was wondering if I could get better framerates if I used the GTX 980 Ti. It performs almost the same as a Titan X...

Well, I play in 1080p, everything maxed out, except MSAA which I dont use, grass quality set to Very high, High res. shadows are OFF, everything else is on ultra. I noticed that when I disable the "Advanced distance scaling" in the advanced settings, then I get no high CPU usage and no more stuttering. But that introduces more annoying pop-ups.

I was wondering if I could get better framerates if I used the GTX 980 Ti. It performs almost the same as a Titan X...

I would try using the GeForce Optimal 1 Click graphic settings, and then turning off the advanced graphics, they are perfect for me

I get 60FPS on 1080

Really recommend it

Should not be having any problems with that GPU and CPU if I am not

Well yes, but that means I would have to lower my graphics settings, and I dont want to do that, the game looks fine as it is now...