2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How exactly do apartments work?

Mr. Larson

Mr. Larson

Tried to answer the question myself, but just cant get it together.

I think, the interior of each of the old apartments is located in the space, where it is supposed to be. You can get inside via noclip on PC. The interior of the new apartments is located under the actual building. I just dont get how the windows work there.

My first guess was, players inside of an apartment just become kinda like invisible to others. So two players owning the same apartment are really sharing it, having the same in game coordinates and are actually in the same place. But then, invisible other players should also be able to hit my bong. So I forgot about that, thinking everyone is put in some isolated space. It works somehow like that with LSC, I think. Once you hit the trigger and get inside, you more or less leave online for this time. You dont see if somebody fires a flare inside for example. You are "physicially" there, but isolated from other players and all of their actions.

Last time I was parachuting under the map, I found another player in his new high-end apartment. Unfortunatly I was unable to land. This was at the plaza area and brought me back to my old guess. However, whenever I parachute down to the tinsel tower high end apartment, nobody is inside.

So, you enter your new high end apartment. The code says, put player a to coordinates xyz and let him perform animation b. The game puts you 600ft under the building. But the outside world you see is 700ft higher. You are not isolated, because you are still able to whats going on outside. But actually, if another player enters the same apartment owned by him, the game must do the same with the same coordinates.

It's confusing, idk if somebody even understands what my text is about, lol. But maybe someone is on PC or has 18 months glitch experience and knows how the game does it.

• Like 2

I don't know, but I think just because the game puts you in the same coordinates as someone else, doesn't mean your console has to necessarily render the same things as the other person's.

Sure, generally everything in online is synced, so that if I see a car passing by, you should see the same when you're nearby, but that's deliberate synchronization, not some unbreakable rule of the game system. So yes, if you and someone else enters an identical apartment, you are technically in the same place, but the online game isn't sending any data about the other player to you so you don't see anything they do.

As for the apartment being in a different physical place than it seems, why not, the windows are simply 1-way portals that render what's on the other side of the other side of the portal. One side located in the apartment window under the map, the other side in the window on the building.

As for why would you see someone in the apartment when flying under the map - no idea, maybe the game actually does render one person per apartment. There's so much unnecessary fluff rendering going on all the time anyway. Such as, when you load the game and you're supposed to spawn in your house/garage, the game renders the whole outside of the building first, which is completely pointless, and only then spawns you in side and renders that. A complete waste of resources but that's how it is.

i would think the window view can be imitaded or "streamed" somehow.

so it's like filmed with a camera from the upper windows and be shown on "screens" which are your windows underneath the surfice.

Edited by size_m

I never thought of it... But I have been to multiple underground structures. Good question (for the person actively seeking the answer)

i would think the window view can be imitaded or "streamed" somehow.

so it's like filmed with a camera from the upper windows and be shown on "screens" which are your windows underneath the surfice.

That makes sense except if a helicopter flys close to the window the blades can kill you, at least they used to. Not sure how it all works either.

Portals where you can see from one side of the map to another has been in game engines since forever, at least since Quake (the whole engine is based around visportals), probably earlier.

To put it simply, the game has to know what to render for you. What is too far, or obstructed by something else, it is not rendered. For that the game world to know what is visible to you, the whole game world is cut into chunks. A side of each chunk is a portal. If you can see the side of the chunk, then it's assumed that you can see through it and as a result, the game renders what is behind the portal.

A window such as this just connects 2 non-adjacent portals together.

And as seen in the game Portal, portals can also move physical objects if the engine supports it.

//At least that's how it used to be in the era of BSP engines. Not sure if the same system is used today but something similar probably is.

Mr. Larson

The portal thing makes sense and originally I thought it is like this for every apartment. So only four different places in total, one for each type of apartment. I was pretty suprised as I saw the PC noclip videos showing every old apartment in the right place. I don't know about garages, but I think there are only 3.

FlacidJack

Not sure but what I have seen is when a friend that owns the exact same apt as me has eaten or drinks i've seen bottles and wrappers appear in my apt / garage.

I've also seen other players in my garage before and knew they were just in their own apt.

It hasnt happened on PC yet, just back in the day on PS3.

CrysisAverted

How do magnets work?

Edited by CrysisAverted

Multiple players can purchase the same property in GTA online. Each one is treated as separate sub-instances. Think of it as each of you owning a separate unit in the same complex. If two players are in the same instance and own the same property, they are free to visit each others' specific apartment.

The Lone Wanderer

I was killed once by a heli while standing at the window.

if they're just visuals that doesn't make sense.

if I was in a new apartment then would that not be possible?

Edited by The Lone Wanderer

CrysisAverted

But... thats not possible

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

my gues is that you just become invisible

also hitting the bong might just be an action that when you do it, is only visible to players in youre actual appartment and you.

see it like you being some kind of ghost in youre appartment and only youreself and the ones you invite to youre appartment are getting the ability to see you and what you do

its like some sort of rendering right, you will only see what youre suposed to see

i dont see any other way how they coud have done it

How do magnets work?

Ew, ICP.

Kushology.gif

ATSBRzE.png

Not sure but what I have seen is when a friend that owns the exact same apt as me has eaten or drinks i've seen bottles and wrappers appear in my apt / garage.

I've also seen other players in my garage before and knew they were just in their own apt.

It hasnt happened on PC yet, just back in the day on PS3.

A few weeks ago my friend spawned some cars in his garage with a mod menu on pc and the cars were also in my garage...

Mr. Larson

Thanks for all the answers! Especially the PC and LG experience is very interesting. I assume you are all right, it must be some kind of hardcore passive mode with invisibility and desync plus the portal windows for newer apartments. They could have done this before, but for some reason they wasted ressources for the old apartments and dropped the same thing multiple times on the map.

Pretty sure you can spawn something in an apartment if somebody else owns the exact same property. With a NPC spawned inside you should be able to test if its just invisibilty and if the other apartment owner is able to push the NPC or block its way. If not, your actions get one-sided desynced while inside an apartment.

BarryRiley

You're thinking of things in terms of real world physics ("Well if I can see out of the window then I must be in the building and therefore I must have been made invisible"). It doesn't work like this, as it's not a real, tangible world in which you can apply the laws of our world. It's almost like someone from a thousand years ago seeing a TV screen and assuming that there must be some little people inside it who can also see us.

The apartment interiors are different instances - think of them as being in a completely different time-space than they appear to be. It's the same as when you launch a mission. The mission doesn't take place invisibly in the same map as the free-roam. The view outside the window is just a view of what's happening next to the x-y-z that the top floor window occupies. It's the same principle as when you switch on the TV and watch someone else play. Your character isn't there, you're just getting a view from an x-y-z.

So no, not all people are in the same apartment and invisible to each other.

I was killed once by a heli while standing at the window.
if they're just visuals that doesn't make sense.
if I was in a new apartment then would that not be possible?

My guess is that this is more to do with the collision mechanics. The explosion was so close to your character that it triggered a collision function which caused your character to act accordingly.

Mr. Larson

The question is, how exactly does the game handle the different instances. It's not the same as starting a job. Starting a job lets the game load a blank map + job script.
Inside an apartment, you still got ingame coordinates that a shared with the lobby. Question is, which other attributes prevent to see or interact with each other.
How can a collision be too close if you are in another instance with different time and space?

CaptainMental

As for the apartment being in a different physical place than it seems, why not, the windows are simply 1-way portals that render what's on the other side of the other side of the portal. One side located in the apartment window under the map, the other side in the window on the building.

Well, an outside player can fire rockets into the apartment through the window (the rocket doesn't go through but the fire does, it's possible to kill players who stand against the window)

prestonchan

Tried to answer the question myself, but just cant get it together.

I think, the interior of each of the old apartments is located in the space, where it is supposed to be. You can get inside via noclip on PC. The interior of the new apartments is located under the actual building. I just dont get how the windows work there.

My first guess was, players inside of an apartment just become kinda like invisible to others. So two players owning the same apartment are really sharing it, having the same in game coordinates and are actually in the same place. But then, invisible other players should also be able to hit my bong. So I forgot about that, thinking everyone is put in some isolated space. It works somehow like that with LSC, I think. Once you hit the trigger and get inside, you more or less leave online for this time. You dont see if somebody fires a flare inside for example. You are "physicially" there, but isolated from other players and all of their actions.

Last time I was parachuting under the map, I found another player in his new high-end apartment. Unfortunatly I was unable to land. This was at the plaza area and brought me back to my old guess. However, whenever I parachute down to the tinsel tower high end apartment, nobody is inside.

So, you enter your new high end apartment. The code says, put player a to coordinates xyz and let him perform animation b. The game puts you 600ft under the building. But the outside world you see is 700ft higher. You are not isolated, because you are still able to whats going on outside. But actually, if another player enters the same apartment owned by him, the game must do the same with the same coordinates.

It's confusing, idk if somebody even understands what my text is about, lol. But maybe someone is on PC or has 18 months glitch experience and knows how the game does it.

in that way, and with R* programming, you will have your garage mess up with others

I think they have difficulties to sort this out, so they have to do it in this way, with a cut scene and send you to some magic space

Inside an apartment, you still got ingame coordinates that a shared with the lobby. Question is, which other attributes prevent to see or interact with each other.

They're not different instances. They're the same instance and the same coordinates but the 2 players in the 2 identical apartments aren't synced to each other and to the outside world (or the sync data is deliberately ignored). So the game can load different stuff for different people, such as different animations when inside the apartment or different cars in the garage. Then when you leave the garage with one car, it's synchronized to the rest of the world so other people can see it too.

How can a collision be too close if you are in another instance with different time and space?

Well, an outside player can fire rockets into the apartment through the window (the rocket doesn't go through but the fire does, it's possible to kill players who stand against the window)

It's a portal like I described above, only apparently it does not transfer only the visual information, but also the physics.

Hasn't anyone played the game Portal? Or Prey? Same idea.

ShiviSRT-10

If you've ever been in lsc and the person behind you has the cops on them(so cannot use lsc but go inside), when they drive into lsc you can see them on your screen driving through your car...so I think the game just puts you in some sort of passive ghost mode when inside an interior

Sometimes as I log out of an online session in my garage after my cars have disappeared I can see other people in the garage so clearly there's a certain amount of space sharing going on.

I think the "interiors are in proper places, just hide other players" theory is true as I was in my apartment when money bags starring appearing out of thin air away from me, most likely from some hacker giving themselves millions so they can buy everything. At least they weren't blowing up everyone, heh.

Edited by thecharrr

Soran Is On

How do the phone deposits work in this game? I mean my character doesnt actually put dollar bills into his cell phone. I'm like seriously wondering guys.

Edited by stonedpimpso