3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Gaming trends you hate/dislike?

Richard Power Colt

Richard Power Colt

What are some of your least favorite, but common things in games/surrounding games? Like some mechanics you don't like for example(or ofc all the modern game publisher bs that everyone's pointing out).

One that's in my mind right now is the guided parkour system in a lot of modern 3rd person adventure games like Assassin's Creed. The animations are cool and all, but I wish we had more actual 3D-platformers these days where you have full control over your character. It makes the platforming more satisfying, because the game isn't doing it for you. I want Jak 4 dammit.

Edited by GTAandStuff

Theodore93

Publishers

Microtransactions

DLC at Launch

DRM / online requirements

Everything pre-orders

Early Access

QTEs QTEs QTEs

Having to tap a button repeatedly really fast to succeed. I've played through MGS so many times and I've still never beat that f*cking torture scene.

Whatever you call that gimmicky contextual sh*t like QTEs where the game prompts you to press a series of buttons and rotate analogue sticks to simulate interaction with something in the game.

Excessive hand-holding.

Completely regenerating health.

Interactive movies posing as games - no matter how enjoyable the stories may be.

Also, I agree with the guided parkour and platforming stuff.

Edited by Waldie
  • Like 5

Exclusive DLC

Watch towers/view points being used to reveal the map.

Stubbled white guy protagonists.

Interactive movies posing as games - no matter how enjoyable the stories may be.

I'm all for Telltale style games, but something like the Order that offers no player choice and still calls its self a full priced game need to stop.

Edited by nath22

Hitmarkers

Health regeneration

DLC/DRM that everyone else mentioned

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 1

DLCs and preorder bonuses.

Releasing buggy games and then patching it for a year.

Companion apps-I dont want to bother wih my phone if I bought a game for my console/PC.

DRM and always-online nonsense.

Annualisation and milking of franchises like COD,BF,NFS,Assassins Creed.It will destroy those games at the end.

Focus on multiplayer and forgeting singleplayer in a lot of modern games.

Anyway that all makes playing games,that was supposed to be fun more and more like a chores every year. Still like games but this is pushing me from them.

• Like 2

Theodore93

Exclusive DLC

Watch towers/view points being used to reveal the map.

Stubbled white guy protagonists.

I'm all for Telltale style games, but something like the Order that offers no player choice and still calls its self a full priced game need to stop.

I'm with you, but even the likes of Telltale games, as good as they are, I personally would prefer they included some playable action sequences as opposed to just QTEs. I've only played the Walking Dead though.

Also, yeah, the watchtowers / view points thing has really run it's course too.

Releasing buggy games and then patching it for a year.

This. Knew there was another one I really hated but couldn't remember what it was. I loathe this "Day 1 Patch" culture.

Edited by Waldie
  • Like 1

-DRMs
-Microtransactions
-Exclusives
-Milking series
-Focus on Multiplayer instead of Singleplayer
-Buggy games at release day

• Like 5

happygrowls

-On Disc DLC

-Pay to Win

-Subscription Required

-Extra Subscription Required e.g (xbox live gold and a online pass)

-DLC within first week of launch

-Pre Order exclusivity

-Special Edition exclusivity (sure pay extra for stuff others won't have, that's clearly ok)

esmittystud101

When games offer season passes, you buy them, and then after the games been out a while they come out with more content at additional cost. (Forza Horizon 2 for X1)

• Like 1

Richard Power Colt

Interactive movie-like games are fine by me as long as they aren't overpriced and the gameplay actually adds to the experience of following a good story. Oh and yeah they should be advertised appropriately to make it clear that they're highly focused on cinematics.

Microtransactions and the always online bullsh*t

• Like 3

Along with all the BS mentioned above, the recent trend of FPS games going all futuristic and fast-paced.

Let's plays. I have a love hate relationship. Folks like kwelbblelop or whatever I can't stand but some I like. I just hate I can't find a decent game Guide without being a let's play.

Always online. The Crew should of focused on side activities instead of turning it into a mmorpg with a lot less players.

Micro-transactions. You buy a season pass only to be more content.

Day one dlc.

Multilplayer focused games. See how Assassin's Creed Unity and the Crew ended.

Yearly released games. See Call of Duty

And finally console wars/pc master race crap. Nobody cares about your pc in a console thread or forum and vice versa. Have a gtx980? Great, you spent over 3 or 400 on your hobby. Have a ps4, xbox one or both? Good for you too. We're all gamers.

Tutorial-ized prologues, especially in open world games (see: any Ubisoft game in the last decade).

Unskippable cutscenes. Stopped playing Metro 2033 about an hour and a half in because it kept forcing these on me every five minutes.

Edited by GetWoody

Microtransactions

Pay to win

graphics > gameplay. Sure fancy graphics are nice but there hasen't been much innovation in terms of gameplay at all

Exclusive content

Season passes

Half games

Pre-order and Day-one content (not to much)

Assisted gaming
Annualization of franchises. Nothing good comes from this
Rated mature games geared towards children

Goldn-Bayse

- QTEs

- Over budget marketing

- Lack of unique cover art (it's always the games protagonist on the cover)

-Degrading quality in instruction books (This is sort of minor but it makes by physical copies almost obsolete espically if you like to collect games)

-Almost everything said in above posts

I also hate how much hype people put into games now, only to be disapointed when it comes out. Personally I like to go into a "let's wait and see" mindset when it comes to new games.

• Like 2

- GTA ONLINE

- Garbage, bullsh*t, retarded .. just f*ck off, Offline DRM!

- AAA publishers not in support to allow developers for releasing SDK of their games for the modders so that they can create a LOT of potential imrovements by making their games more mod friendly!

- Graphics whoring

- The need to cater douchebags and casual gamers by making a watered down game for the sake of easy sales!

- Rapid increase on Steam reliance for playing PC games than showing support for DRM free GOG games / physical copies!

• Like 2

Vertighost

DLC that you'll never buy, shrinking your trophy percentages. (PSN)

Online friends who only ever want to play GTA Online Heists, over and over and over again.

Theodore93

The lack of middle ground these days due to all the medium sized devs dying out. It's either big multi-million AAA titles or hipster indie sh*t.

Devs pandering to casuals, or even worse, feminists and SJWs.

The fact that adult themes / content that have been present in film, books and such for decades are still widely considered taboo in gaming. A film features torture or rape and no one bats an eye. A game does it and it causes a sh*tstorm. And I don't think it's just the media who is entirely to blame either, the whole industry needs to grow up.

The whole mobile gaming scene can just f*ck off as far as I'm concerned. I blame it for the undeserved popularity (imo) towards simplistic puzzle games that game out decades ago but with a new name slapped on them and all these toxic pay models and microtransactions that has infected the whole gaming scene.

DLC that you'll never buy, shrinking your trophy percentages. (PSN)

This, but I'd also say multiplayer achievements / trophies should go as well, or at least keep them seperate.

-Degrading quality in instruction books (This is sort of minor but it makes by physical copies almost obsolete espically if you like to collect games)

This too. I'm sick of this paper saving crap. I love reading a good, in-depth, physical manual.

• Like 1

Richard Power Colt

Overall the game industry these days just seems more focused on how to make more money than on making good games. Valve seems like one of the few big companies that's managed to actually push new business models without pissing off too many people. But their steady stream of money is most likely why they haven't released HL3 yet and perhaps never will.

More things i thought of:

Heavy focus for online gameplay while almost completely ignoring single player

Terrible, cliche storylines

Rated Mature games caring about "offending" people and cutting out (usually good content) for that reasons.

Its a rated mature game, not family game night. if your child walks up and asks you what is butt sex than thats on you for buying the damn game for them. now stop bitching at the devs

increase in the Inability to Mod PC games (mainly for SP use). The modding community is a great resource that can actually boost sales of games and can drastically improve the gaming experience.

(Especially in racing games) AI dont make mistakes at all. On easy mode, they just drive really slow. On hard, really fast.

What i really hate in racing games but everyone does it, you start a race, you are either in last or somewhere in the middle, the best racers start up front, and the not-so-good ones start in the back. This makes racing unenjoyable because you have to struggle around the slow pokes while the "good" AI just cruise. Random starting grids would be really nice but it'll probably never happen

Community wise:

Huge amount of underage players on mature games while rated E games seem like they have far less children on

People that just complain about every single aspect yet still buy the game and even subsequent titles after that

This too. I'm sick of this paper saving crap. I love reading a good, in-depth, physical manual.

Why bother? the game practically plays itself these days

Out of all the posts here, I have not found a single one mentioning things they like about current gaming trends, which says a lot about it

Edited by Winning001
  • Like 1

Unfinished, buggy game that got overhyped.

Devs that ban & bully peoples for criticize their game, even if it just giving feedback.

Monthly DLC.

Crowdfunding backers that defends their game like a moron.

Devs that pays professional race driver / footballer / wrestler / whatever-it-is to endorse their games & said "it's the best thing ever!".

Unprofessional gaming journalism, if not paid or biased.

PhillBellic

ULC masquerading as DLC, when the contents were on the disc all this time, and paying for a code to "download" the contents.

Formerly great Single Player experience Developers slowly abandoning their origins, and pandering to the Online crowd.

F2P games that disguised as $60 games (not much, but there are).

• Like 1

- Gender politics being involved in games
- Delaying games and offering few or no changes

- The trend of unrealistic sci-fi first person shooters

- Always online

- Paying for betas, instead of the studios paying you

- Micro transactions bullcrap

- Exculsive DLC (They aren't even worth it)

I guess that's all I dislike.

Tip: If you are playing mobile games, free to play is not worth it. Just get the payed ones since the majority of it actually delivers more content than you expect like Radiation Island. (I dislike Clash of Clans for many reasons and others similar to that)

Edited by Landotel
  • Like 1

Real_Badgirl

Horror games that feature a defenseless protagonist who can't even throw a small object at the pursuing killer or monster. PLEASE give me a gun, even if it's only got two bullets! I'll even take a 2x4 with a nail in it! Anything but this hiding in lockers/cowering under beds/fleeing in terror when a monster appears nonsense.

It's NOT scary, it's just aggravating.

paperbagdude

FPS games taking place in WW2, Vietnamese War and so on.

Why do people want the next Call of Duty to take place in that time?

The entire Medal of Honor and early CoD era is dead. There's no reason to turn back. Futurism is the way forward. It's a way of thinking out of the box and suggest how the near future might be.

Bring on the h8, m9s.

• Like 1

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

Mr. Scratch

I agree, I'd love to see a FPS where you can basically time travel.

Richard Power Colt

I agree, I'd love to see a FPS where you can basically time travel.

So using space guns against WW2 nazis?