3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Karls

The Alderney Appreciation Thread

ThatKyloRenGuy

Alderney is great just like Liberty City! I just love mobster focused settings based on New York City, Buffalo, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New England cities such as Boston, Hartford, and Providence! I also really love the same type of settings based on big Midwestern cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and St. Louis! Florida and New Orleans are really cool too, as are Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Las Vegas. However, nothing quite beats big cities within the Midwest and northeast as organized crime focused video game settings.

Jeansowaty

Together with Broker it's my favorite area in the game. I love New Jersey myself.

Miamivicecity

Reading this thread makes me miss Phill so god damn much and his insistence on calling it "New Alderney".

iiCriminnaaL 49
Posted (edited)

As much as I like how R* tried to capture the atmosphere of New Jersey in Alderney, I would've preferred if it was treated as a part of Liberty City, just like how the New Jersey's equivalent went back in the 3D universe.

The reason why I'm saying that is the fact that the tries of making it separate from Liberty City didn't go so well.

The only things that refer to Alderney as a separate state were some very few voice lines, cop models (which, despite being slightly re-skinned traffic cop models that still include LCPD badges, strongly lack variety, compared to the LCPD models) and the prison.

Other than that:

• The LCPD's logos and signs are everywhere in Alderney.
  • The law enforcement cars all refer to the LCPD.
  • There's no database for the ACPD. Every recorded character is placed under the LCPD's database.
  • Most of Alderney's cops talk as if they were in the LCPD.
  • No radio station is named after Alderney. It's just about Liberty. Examples: Liberty Rock Radio and Liberty City Hardcore.
  • Even though the prison's board states "Alderney State Correctional Facility", there's another roster board inside that refers to it as "Liberty City Correctional Facility".

The state's "unique" cop models aren't even used during missions, LCPD replaces them. Hell, even The Lost MC there carry Liberty City's rockers, which also applies to their logo on the clubhouse's wall and door. Nothing changed later in EFLC neither.

Seems like the idea of making it a separate state wasn't planned early enough.

I've replaced the state's cop models and variations with the LCPD's in my game. That feels more "right", IMO.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Hmmm nice bike

I agree that they did a poor job of trying to make Alderney a separate area from Liberty City, but I think they should have done the opposite personally, just to be more accurate to how it is in real life. Alderney should have had its own police cars, based either on the New Jersey State Police cruisers or the Hudson County Sheriff's (and I have a feeling that the latter might have been what they were trying to go for at one point, since beta screenshots taken in Alderney show police cars with two blue stripes similar to the LCPD cars but completely blank without "LCPD" on them, and they somewhat resembled the Hudson County Sheriff's cars).

See the cop car back there?

3880_gta_iv.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

All it would need is something like "Alderney Sheriff" and the badge on it and it would look identical. Given that previous screenshots all taken in LC had the LCPD livery, and suddenly the early Alderney screenshots have the livery absent, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they initially wanted to do before maybe running into issues with getting separate jurisdictions programmed (I don't see any other reason why they'd abandon this).

Official General
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:11 AM, ThatKyloRenGuy said:

Alderney is great just like Liberty City! I just love mobster focused settings based on New York City, Buffalo, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New England cities such as Boston, Hartford, and Providence! I also really love the same type of settings based on big Midwestern cities such as Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and St. Louis! Florida and New Orleans are really cool too, as are Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Las Vegas. However, nothing quite beats big cities within the Midwest and northeast as organized crime focused video game settings.

Pretty much everywhere in the lower 48 states then, you might as well have just said that 🙄

On topic....

I only found out later on my second playthrough of IV that Alderney had a dangerous ghetto of it's own equal to the Firefly Projects or North Holland. Acter, Alderney is one damn scary place, nearly everyone there walking the street carries a gun on them and they all have an attitude with it too !