2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

take two boss on microtransactions

Quinn_flower

Quinn_flower

this was on cnet two days ago

thought this would be interesting.

The chief executive of Grand Theft Auto parent publisher Take-Two Interactive has spoken out on the subject of microtransactions, one of the industry's hot-button topics. Speaking this week during the 43rd Annual Technology, Media & Telecom Conference in New York, Strauss Zelnick said players should never feel as if they're being robbed.

"You never want to the consumer to feel as though you've picked their pocket," he explained. "You want a consumer to feel like you gave them a great experience. You want them to be happy that they spent money on the experience."

This might seem like an obvious approach to take, but Zelnick also said, without naming any names, that some developers prioritize monetization over creativity.

"But I think some interactive entertainment companies, typically not the console companies, but some of the free-to-play companies, have focused entirely on monetization and, 'creativity as a necessary but annoying pre-condition to monetization,'" he added. "And we just don't look at it that way at all. Monetization stems organically from creativity. And so the more that we give consumers to do that they love doing, the more likely they are to spend money while they're doing it."

Zelnick said 2K Sports' NBA 2K franchise has a "really high pay rate" for in-game currency sales. The executive has also previously spoken about Grand Theft Auto V's online mode, GTA Online, as "the gift that keeps on giving" as it relates to microtransactions. In addition, he pointed out that, importantly, Take-Two designs its games to be fun, complete experiences that don't require people to pay extra for in-game items or currency.

gamespot interview in april

interview with him about gta online

Speaking today on FOX Business' Risk & Reward program, Zelnick said GTA Online is an example of Take-Two adapting its business practices to create platforms that generate sustained revenue instead of a one-off jolt.

"Just a few years ago when we put out a product no matter how big, we put out a hit, we collected our money, we went on to the next [game]," Zelnick said. "Now [what] we're finding is we're creating recurrent consumer spending and we have the gift that keeps on giving."

"I talked about that when we took over Take-Two six years ago...It's nice to see it coming true," he added.

GTA V has shipped 32.5 million copies and some 70 percent of all users have played Grand Theft Auto Online. Take-Two is keeping the all-important ARPU (average revenue per user) figure a secret, but from the enthusiastic way in which Zelnick talks about GTA Online, it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the online mode is performing quite well monetarily.

For Take-Two's quarter ended December 31, the company reported that net revenue from digitally delivered content grew 42 percent year-over-year to $132.8 million. This was led by GTA Online, Zelnick said at the time.

source cnet and gamespot.

Edited by Quinn_flower

CrysisAverted

Edited by CrysisAverted

The freemium and free-to-play products are a blight. They are simple-minded and they exploit immature players (for example, the Smurfberry debacle - Eight-Year-Old Girl Blows $1400 on Smurfberries). But I don't think those kind of games should be compared to a complex game like GTA.

• Like 8

"You never want to the consumer to feel as though you've picked their pocket,"

I do, every time I go into LSC in single player and see the prices. So bzzzzzzzt.

*Post deleted.

Edited by The7thOne
  • Like 4

dVOJf7l.png

"Zelnick said 2K Sports' NBA 2K franchise has a "really high pay rate" for in-game currency sales."

i play a lot of 2k and i dont understand what he means by this.

does he mean you get a lot for your money? cause i dont think you do. but you can do it all in 2k without spending any money if you put the time in (myteam and career/park).

• Like 3

Mr. Strauss Zelnick is too kind to us, poor gamers, to which he brought his great gift.

Mr. Strauss Zelnick could be even kinder and tell us if the sh*t payouts and the efforts of making them even sh*ttier, missions wise, with timers and diminishing returns are due to the gift he is making us, by holding our hands and not allow us to spam RPG`s in Free Roam, or because he is focused entirely on monetization and, 'creativity as a necessary but annoying pre-condition to monetization'.

Other than that, I fail to see how great of a gift he has given us, since I host his server on my own hardware, on my own ISP and on my own power bill, playing 90% fan made missions, even if they are 'Rockstar verified' and I have waited amost 2 years for the ... Heist gift.

I have almost come to the conclusion that Mr. Strauss Zelnick is just full of PR sh*t.

Edited by Phyxsius-

MeatSafeMurderer

"Zelnick also said, without naming any names, that some developers prioritize monetization over creativity."

Like uh...like Rockstar then? They didn't nerf the payouts into oblivion and make each DLC's vehicles progressively more and more excessively expensive for no reason...

f*cking hypocrites...

ugotsmoked

"Zelnick also said, without naming any names, that some developers prioritize monetization over creativity."

Like uh...like Rockstar then? They didn't nerf the payouts into oblivion and make each DLC's vehicles progressively more and more excessively expensive for no reason...

f*cking hypocrites...

Preorder cancelled. If you do not like their approach...play something else.

f*cking hypocrites...

Nah, that was just a cheap easy shot at anything and everything is not Take-Two, so he`ll pose almost as a white knight. It will work on 90% of his playerbase and also antagonize :)

Edited by Phyxsius-

MeatSafeMurderer

Honestly I couldn't give a crap at this point...I glitch all my money now anyway...but that doesn't change the fact that this interview is full of hypocrisy. If there is one thing I cannot f*cking stand it is hypocrisy...everyone should practice what they preach... I mean jeez...this is almost as hypocritical as when the devs of Evolve spoke out against day one DLC...only for Evolve to have it. How can you not see the problem with them being hypocrites? They're speaking out against a practice they themselves practice. Edited by MeatSafeMurderer
  • Like 6

ugotsmoked

Honestly I couldn't give a crap at this point...I glitch all my money now anyway...but that doesn't change the fact that this interview is full of hypocrisy. If there is one thing I cannot f*cking stand it is hypocrisy...everyone should practice what they preach... I mean jeez...this is almost as hypocritical as when the devs of Evolve spoke out against day one DLC...only for Evolve to have it. How can you not see the problem with them being hypocrites? They're speaking out against a practice they themselves practice.

All the DLC'S have been free. So I disagree.

Chloroform

"You never want to the consumer to feel as though you've picked their pocket,"

I do, every time I go into LSC in single player and see the prices. So bzzzzzzzt.

Agreed, I can't stand the inflated prices online has. People say for "replayability", f*ck that lie, its to rob us out of more money and to hope we buy them over priced shark cards. But people are so blinded these days and/or very dense and believe they are priced very well.

Edit: And people need to stop saying "dlc" is free, they're updates for one. And wow Rockstar is fixing their game and throwing garbage content into these updates. WOW...

Edited by Chloroform
  • Like 5

Crunch McThornbody

With Android games I use Game Killer which with the right usage gives me all the coins/gems I want - so long as the coins/gems number is stored on the device and not remote servers.

NerdCubed did a whole rant against microtransactions a while back, and all his points were valid:

ugotsmoked

Updates are free and I enjoy them.

Honestly I couldn't give a crap at this point...I glitch all my money now anyway...but that doesn't change the fact that this interview is full of hypocrisy. If there is one thing I cannot f*cking stand it is hypocrisy...everyone should practice what they preach... I mean jeez...this is almost as hypocritical as when the devs of Evolve spoke out against day one DLC...only for Evolve to have it. How can you not see the problem with them being hypocrites? They're speaking out against a practice they themselves practice.

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's not always a bad thing. You wouldn't want your kids to smoke cigarettes even if you did, right? So telling them not to smoke would be a good thing.

Nobody is forcing you to play. If you continue to play a game you don't like made by people you don't like, who's fault is that?

Prices on things probably wouldn't be so bad if tons of people didn't cheat, as you admitted that you do. You dug your own grave.

MeatSafeMurderer

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's not always a bad thing. You wouldn't want your kids to smoke cigarettes even if you did, right? So telling them not to smoke would be a good thing.

Nobody is forcing you to play. If you continue to play a game you don't like made by people you don't like, who's fault is that?

Prices on things probably wouldn't be so bad if tons of people didn't cheat, as you admitted that you do. You dug your own grave.

Smoking != Microtransactions

Smoking is an addiction. Nicotine is addictive. Microtransactions are not. Frankly comparing the hypocrisy of discouraging smoking and discouraging microtransactions is retarded.

Why would I not cost them money by playing it and using their matchmaking servers? They already got my money...not playing it wouldn't get me anything.

Correlation != Causation.

I, and many others, only started cheating after the mission payouts were already nerfed to sh*t and R* decided that a bike that has a boost that can only be used in free roam should be over $700k when it should be $50k-$100k tops.

Edited by MeatSafeMurderer
  • Like 2

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's not always a bad thing. You wouldn't want your kids to smoke cigarettes even if you did, right? So telling them not to smoke would be a good thing.Nobody is forcing you to play. If you continue to play a game you don't like made by people you don't like, who's fault is that?Prices on things probably wouldn't be so bad if tons of people didn't cheat, as you admitted that you do. You dug your own grave.

Smoking != MicrotransactionsSmoking is an addiction. Nicotine is addictive. Microtransactions are not. Frankly comparing the hypocrisy of discouraging smoking and discouraging microtransactions is retarded.Why would I not cost them money by playing it and using their matchmaking servers? They already got my money...not playing it wouldn't get me anything.Correlation != Causation.I, and many others, only started cheating after the mission payouts were already nerfed to sh*t and R* decided that a bike that has a boost that can only be used in free roam should be over $700k when it should be $50k-$100k tops.

Obvisouly, there is no getting through your thick skull.

Bad Company dlc (yeah not a microtransaction but we still had to pay for it) was free in japan cause they figured no one would pay for it there while the rest of the world had to pay for it.

i believe in not paying microtransactions. (but i did on nba 2k, damn.).

• Like 1

ugotsmoked

Bad Company dlc (yeah not a microtransaction but we still had to pay for it) was free in japan cause they figured no one would pay for it there while the rest of the world had to pay for it.

There is the gaming community in general.

Complaining about choices YOU made.

• Like 2

i think it's widely understood that the small percentage of players buying the outrageously overpriced shark cards effectively finance future updates for the rest of us. thanks for that btw. what happens when the shark card sales finally peter out? will that be the end of updates or will R* just add even more over priced items that further exploit shark cards customers?

£30 for a VTOL jet. one item £30. ONE SINGLE ITEM. £30! can someone who actually buys shark cards please explain to me where the value is?

as someone who doesn't glitch i'm quite poor by the standards of some on this forum. 2 characters have 6 high end garages filled with vehicles (that i've aquired since oct'13), a slew of Pegasus vehicles and about GTA$20mil in the bank. when i see the stat telling me i've spent over GTA$80mil since i started playing i can't help but wonder why ANYONE would pay almost £1000 to be in the same position?

R* are f*cking alchemists, they've spun gold from nothing.

• Like 3

Chloroform

i think it's widely understood that the small percentage of players buying the outrageously overpriced shark cards effectively finance future updates for the rest of us. thanks for that btw. what happens when the shark card sales finally peter out? will that be the end of updates or will R* just add even more over priced items that further exploit shark cards customers?

£30 for a VTOL jet. one item £30. ONE SINGLE ITEM. £30! can someone who actually buys shark cards please explain to me where the value is?

as someone who doesn't glitch i'm quite poor by the standards of some on this forum. 2 characters have 6 high end garages filled with vehicles (that i've aquired since oct'13), a slew of Pegasus vehicles and about GTA$20mil in the bank. when i see the stat telling me i've spent over GTA$80mil since i started playing i can't help but wonder why ANYONE would pay almost £1000 to be in the same position?

R* are f*cking alchemists, they've spun gold from nothing.

I don't believe for one minute that shark cards fund the updates. Most of the content (if not all) was in the coding before the first update. So that tells me, the stuff was in the works and/or done. So rockstar needed funds for something that was finished already? OR they wanted more profit?

Too me, rockstar f*cked up with inflating the prices online and cutting pay. They saw players were leaning less towards shark cards and more towards missions. Now you cut the pay and people will say f*ck it ill buy some shark cards.

There wasn't any good reason to cut pay period. Also so much sh*t doesn't get patched right away but money glitches do?

• Like 2

There is the gaming community in general.

Complaining about choices YOU made.

what? f*cksake. im not complaining, its more of a point about if most people didnt pay for these transactions the gaming companies wouldn't rely on them so much.

Even though micro-transactions sucks they're surprisingly effective. GTA Online has it pretty easy with them for now. There are millions of players that glitch their millions and Rockstar hasn't taken any serious steps to combat it other than hotfixes or recently copyright strikes on youtubers. We only had one money wipe. Also to add if you hate it move on.

Edited by Nick1020

Chamber53DV

"Zelnick said 2K Sports' NBA 2K franchise has a "really high pay rate" for in-game currency sales."

does he mean you get a lot for your money? cause i dont think you do. but you can do it all in 2k without spending any money if you put the time in (myteam and career/park).

I believe he is referring to NBA 2Ks "MyTeam" (aka- Ultimate Team) Mode. Many people drop good money building their teams. This holds try with Madden and NHL as well.

• Like 2

Like everything in life, it comes down to time vs money.

agreed. i've (perhaps mistakenly) viewed the "job funded players" and "shark card funded players" relationship as been symbiotic. the SCF players give R* more money to make updates while the rest of us populate the game world making sure SCF players have many more people to play with. i don't think lobbies/ jobs would fill so easily without us skinflints and we wouldn't have stuck around this long but for the updates.

i'm not wholely against shark cards, i just think that asking someone to pay £30 for GTA$3mil is taking the piss.

• Like 3

TheKingChivas

Updates are free and I enjoy them.

Truth deserves to be quoted.

I, and many others, only started cheating after the mission payouts were already nerfed to sh*t and R* decided that a bike that has a boost that can only be used in free roam should be over $700k when it should be $50k-$100k tops.

That's right, reason away why you couldn't play legit like so many of us have. It's cute.

I don't believe for one minute that shark cards fund the updates. Most of the content (if not all) was in the coding before the first update. So that tells me, the stuff was in the works and/or done. So rockstar needed funds for something that was finished already? OR they wanted more profit?

Too me, rockstar f*cked up with inflating the prices online and cutting pay. They saw players were leaning less towards shark cards and more towards missions. Now you cut the pay and people will say f*ck it ill buy some shark cards.

There wasn't any good reason to cut pay period. Also so much sh*t doesn't get patched right away but money glitches do?

Weak minded fools will buy shark cards...the rest will either:

A - Be like me and play the game and earn what they get, or...

2 - Glitch, cry about Rockstar this and Rockstar that, then say the game is boring.

If you don't believe that the updates are free because of shark cards, tell me then...how many updates have you paid for, and then how many other games out there make you pay for the updates (hint on this one...most of them). It's rather apparent that Rockstar is giving us the correct info here.

I believe he is referring to NBA 2Ks "MyTeam" (aka- Ultimate Team) Mode. Many people drop good money building their teams. This holds try with Madden and NHL as well.

oh, he means they make a lot of money with it. i might have spent $40 between myteam and getting my career player up to scratch for the park at the start. One of my mates spent over $600 on myteam alone (mind you he has a good team).

and until recently a lot of cards were worth in the millions to buy on auction house and i reckon to have that sort of my team points (which you cant buy and are required for the myteam auction house) you woulda have to have spent thousands on VC.

TheKingChivas

oh, he means they make a lot of money with it. i might have spent $40 between myteam and getting my career player up to scratch for the park at the start. One of my mates spent over $600 on myteam alone (mind you he has a good team).

Your friend is an idiot...hope his team shows up in person and plays in his f*cking driveway for $600.