Renlou

[V|WIP] So You Wanna Be A Gangsta

uWapCj2.png

Previously Named: Lore Friendly Gang Wars

Making gangs a part of the world

h6fyVCkl.png

eedpWBBt.png LvXJrqut.png pSFYppht.png kKqOA9Lt.png tTlVSL7t.png

pfAePsAt.png uKAG0HKt.png 32cvFWOt.png 73hBA3Ct.png 4lTs3O3t.png lCTEHMxt.png

Short Description: The mod will treat gang territory, fronts, vehicles, members, weapons, affiliations and rivalries etc the same way the GTA "gang lore" does. That's the main focus. I'm currently using the GTAWikia to help me figure out that stuff + playing through story mode and anything I can get my hands on. Another priority is on making it smoothly blend in with the gameplay enough that a shootout feels unique and surprising, instead of there being a fight in every corner at every time.

Mod Info:

Gangs: The Families Ballas Vagos Aztecas Marabunta Grande
Others*: Madrazo Cartel* Triads Kkangpae* The Lost MC Rednecks The Professionals* Armenian Mob*

*Might not make it into the mod.

Groundwork features:
  • When you go to a territory controlled by a gang, there's a chance that an enemy gang will show up and fight the gang that controls it.
  • They will spawn in either vehicles or on foot
  • They will always use weapons
  • The outcome will always be unpredictable. Unless the player decides to help one of the sides.
Possible features:
  • Drive-by shooting (enemy gang shows up on vehicle, shoots current gang and drives away)
  • Multiple gangs shootout (gang + allies VS enemies + enemies' allies, or any combination as long as it is balanced)
  • Player Respect (when you help a gang, their respect for you increases. When you go against a gang, their respect for you decreases.)
    • If a gang respects you, they may notify you when they are either attacking or being attacked. This will happen regardless of where you are on the map
    • If a gang hates you enough they'll shoot on sight
    • If a gang respects you enough, they'll roll with you if you decide to recruit them
    • If a gang really hates you, they'll hunt you down (Optional)
    • If a gang really likes you, they'll leave you money and weapons
  • Controller support
Not-So-Possible(as in very hard to do OR not a main goal) features:
  • Territory Takeover & Defense (think GTA SA gang mechanic)
  • Story characters participate in wars, help you out, etc
Feel free to give suggestions on what you'd like to see.

Gang Spawner Dev Tool:

A simple tool I made to help me during development, decided to share because it does provide some limited fun.
  • Currently you can spawn gang members based on your selected gang. They will spawn with pistols and shoot rival gangs around.
  • I've made it so Vagos won't shoot Aztecas and vice versa since apparently they're allies. Might change in the future if more concrete info is brought up.
  • Aztecas won't shoot Families and vice versa UNLESS there is a shooting already happening (e.g. if Vagos are shooting Families and Aztecas are near). I made it like that because it does make some sense since they aren't enemies in the HD universe, but not allies either.
I've had some fun spawning Families on Vagos' turf, Ballas on Families' turf and Families on Ballas' turf. I recommend it.

Downloads:

[Gang Spawner Dev Tool 0.2] [VirusTotal Scan] - Readme included in .ini file Edited by Renlou

Nathandark

Sounds Very Awesome,im sure to follow your progress

sounds great, however you will probably encounter a very big problem with taking over territory - just like in case of IV the gang spawn zones are in popcycle.dat and I`m not sure if it`s possible to write a scipt which will change them in-game. But I would love to see another thing which is definetly lore friendly - different gangs dealing weapons and drugs, and of course the possibility for the player to make $ on that. Different gangs could compete on the market if they sell same kind of drugs (like the Lost and O`Neils selling meth) that could create natural rivalries. Anyways I`m keeping my fingers crossed for this mod, keep up the good work

Nice job, beta version ready for download?

Why dont you recreate the TBoGT/TLAD styled gang/drugwars into the game? They seem to be much easier to code (and just as fun, if not better than the GWs in SA).

Troublesome96_

Sounds awesome. Maybe you could make something like if I'm playing as Franklin and I kill a gang member maybe a few hours later a car full of rivals will show up near the player (if he's still around the area in or near their turf) and try to do a drive-by or walk up to him and try to shoot him? That would be pretty cool IMO.

Edited by WestsideOutlaw187

sounds great, however you will probably encounter a very big problem with taking over territory - just like in case of IV the gang spawn zones are in popcycle.dat and I`m not sure if it`s possible to write a scipt which will change them in-game. But I would love to see another thing which is definetly lore friendly - different gangs dealing weapons and drugs, and of course the possibility for the player to make $ on that. Different gangs could compete on the market if they sell same kind of drugs (like the Lost and O`Neils selling meth) that could create natural rivalries. Anyways I`m keeping my fingers crossed for this mod, keep up the good work

I've messed around with popcycle.dat and relationships.dat as an experiment, kind of like how Active Gangs and Gang Town mods went about it. Also, another thing is, popcycle.dat seems to not be the only thing that spawns peds in those areas. At least when I was playing with it, I changed the Davis territory to be completed overrun by the Families and even then the Ballas still were spawning at Grove St in large numbers.

So Idk if making a script that changes those files in game would even be enough. Maybe there's something I could do with popgroups.ymt and/or the other .ymt files inside x64a>levels>gta5>scenario, but those files can't even be opened yet so I can't say. This is one of the reasons why I put Territory Takeover & Defense as a possible feature. My guess is I'll end up having to write a script that changes the model of every gang member in the zone to the one that took over it. No clue how easy/doable/stable that will be. Anyway, I guess no need to stress about it now.

And yes, I can't wait to release this mod and have all of that happening. R* fcked up big time by not making Gangs a larger part of the game. I'll try my best to fix that. And if I can't do it, someone else will anyway!

Nice job, beta version ready for download?

Not yet. SoonTM

Why dont you recreate the TBoGT/TLAD styled gang/drugwars into the game? They seem to be much easier to code (and just as fun, if not better than the GWs in SA).

Because Nexus AU is already doing it.

My idea is a bit different to that. I plan on making gangs a part of the world, rather than making the player part of a gang.

Sounds awesome. Maybe you could make something like if I'm playing as Franklin and I kill a gang member maybe a few hours later a car full of rivals will show up near the player (if he's still around the area in or near their turf) and try to do a drive-by or walk up to him and try to shoot him? That would be pretty cool IMO.

You mean if the player kills a gang member in his territory the gang will start shooting the player? That already happens though.

Unless you mean they would remember that and still attempt to kill the player hours after. That could be done. In fact I believe it ties in with the planned feature Player Respect, since that means every time you do something against a gang, their respect for you decreases, meaning when they see you they will be shooting at you.

Edited by Renlou
  • Like 2

I had an idea for a sort of vendetta system for IV that could probably be implemented in this mod sans all the permadeth nonsense. Could be a decent way to do gang relations to the player and sh*t

Old Man With No Name

Sounds so cool. You should make families members recruitable

I want get in drive by car in passanger seat wit my squad (stretch, lamar, gerald) can u do this?

I had an idea for a sort of vendetta system for IV that could probably be implemented in this mod sans all the permadeth nonsense. Could be a decent way to do gang relations to the player and sh*t

I like this idea: "Z number of kills against Gang A will cause Gang A to send hitsquads after you, and Rival Gang B will send bodyguards to protect you(...)"

I will add it to my notes and may add it at some point. Thanks :lol:

The rest of it will pretty much happen naturally when all features are implemented. So don't worry about those.

Sounds so cool. You should make families members recruitable

I want get in drive by car in passanger seat wit my squad (stretch, lamar, gerald) can u do this?

Regarding recruiting homies, that's a planned "possible" feature already. It's included in the mod description /\.

Doing drive-by with npc friends can be a thing indeed. Even if I don't end up including this there's already this mod which you can combine with this mod and get them to drive you to a gang territory/front and shoot up some thugs. I might make an effort to add story characters to some gang wars (and maybe give them extra health/skill) also.

Anyway if you want to get a little bit of taste of what you will encounter with this mod I believe you can already call Lamar with Franklin and get him to hang out with you. Don't think he carries a gun though idk. And then drive up to Grove St which is overrun by Ballas in GTAV and start a little shootout :lol:

Troublesome96_

Unless you mean they would remember that and still attempt to kill the player hours after.

This.

I don't wanna be a dick but do you have actual experience in coding or is this more of an......mod idea?

I don't wanna be a dick but do you have actual experience in coding or is this more of an......mod idea?

Don't worry you're not being a dick and that's a valid question. Thought someone would ask this since my account is new and I didn't post a download link yet.

I have programmed before (C++/ Java/ C# with unity/ etc). Not made any good mods that involve coding though, just models/sprites/maps. Currently developing this mod with C++. I have lurked about this forum for years and decided to make an account just so I could get help during development and also post this to see if people were interested.

Currently going for Bachelor of Computer Science at uni. Exams soon so not having much time to work on this now other than some basic groundwork which I will be releasing here maybe next two weeks.

Edited by Renlou
  • Like 2

Ah, I see. Just making sure, good luck with your exams by the way. Regarding the mod, I think the most wanted features would be a respect meter a'la GTA1/2 like you said, and also different 'gang perks' would be amazing too - I know you said you want to make gangs part of world instead of player in a gang, but it'd be a nice side-feature.... Question is, what could you really get for having respect with a gang? My suggestion is for each gang there'd be a place where they leave you sh*t so you can go on and shoot up other gangs, be it weapons, money briefcases, their gang cars, and maybe an ability to recruit some of their goons for a while. Like others said setting areas to be controlled by other gangs might be a very hard task.....even if you'd wish to replace the models as a workaround it probably wouldn't work really well unless you wanna murder our games with 0,5 sec intervals....my idea was to include an edited popcycle.dat which would remove gang members from population, then add them back by scripting and you'd have controlled population - but if, like others said, even after that editing gang members still spawn, it seems kinda impossible for now which is rather dissapointing.

Ah, I see. Just making sure, good luck with your exams by the way. Regarding the mod, I think the most wanted features would be a respect meter a'la GTA1/2 like you said, and also different 'gang perks' would be amazing too - I know you said you want to make gangs part of world instead of player in a gang, but it'd be a nice side-feature.... Question is, what could you really get for having respect with a gang? My suggestion is for each gang there'd be a place where they leave you sh*t so you can go on and shoot up other gangs, be it weapons, money briefcases, their gang cars, and maybe an ability to recruit some of their goons for a while. Like others said setting areas to be controlled by other gangs might be a very hard task.....even if you'd wish to replace the models as a workaround it probably wouldn't work really well unless you wanna murder our games with 0,5 sec intervals....my idea was to include an edited popcycle.dat which would remove gang members from population, then add them back by scripting and you'd have controlled population - but if, like others said, even after that editing gang members still spawn, it seems kinda impossible for now which is rather dissapointing.

Exactly. And yeah I agree it would be nice, just not the kind of thing I'm working on right now. First I need to make sure all major gangs get some kind of war going on at their territories. Get them to drive up with their gang vehicles, give them some weapons that make sense, balance it all up and then I'll move on to the next features.

Territory Takeover & Defense could be a thing after the OpenIV team gets .ymt files open...who knows... Like you said, get popcycle.dat to not spawn gang members and then spawn them with the script. And then whatever ymt goodness we find out to be helpful I'll make sure to use them.

Old Man With No Name

Can u change turfs?

Give Rancho to Ballas 'Cause Rancho was Jefferson/Rollin Heights Balla country in GTA San Andreas

Give Davis to Families

Can u change turfs?

Give Rancho to Ballas 'Cause Rancho was Jefferson/Rollin Heights Balla country in GTA San Andreas

Give Davis to Families

I will leave turfs as they are because as the title of the mod suggests I want to keep it true to the HD universe game story, particularly GTA V. And also, even if I wanted to, as said before in this thread there's a problem with changing spawn of peds because the popcycle.dat file is not the only thing that controls it.

BUUUUUUUUUUUT if I do end up finding a way, either with .ymt and etc files support by OpenIV or some other way around the problem, then Territory Takeover and Defense becomes a thing, and with it you will be able to help those gangs get those turfs back. Might even include a ini that lets you change the initial territory owners.

In my opinion though it's much more fun to help Families get Grove St back :lol:

Edited by Renlou

a promising mod. if it's beyond just editing game files and involves scripting than im eagerly waiting for it :)

will the gang wars be happening in very specific locations (in very specific neighborhoods) or will i be able to see them happen all around LS?
frankly, if it's something i can only see in predictable locations and i am not driving\playing around these specific locations than i wont be experiencing the mod often and it will have little effect on my game.

i would have hoped that every area in LS will have gangs in them and a chance for a gane activity on it.

i ADORE the idea that the player can be suddenly attacked by enemies\gangs.

i think that once you install the mod all gangs are neutral to the player. no one will attack him. but once you kill about 2 gang members of one gang than that gang will be a little hostile to you. send an occasional 2 man hit on you.

if you kill more of that same gang than the will send more and more hits on you. cars with 4 gang members in them, a few cars, groups of 4 or more enemies on foot (when the player is on foot) etc.

if you kill X gang when you are close to Y gang, or when Y gang and X gang are fighting, than Y gang will like you and it will grant you benefits. not sure what. i think the deeper way would be what you suggested - that you can recruit its members in their turf or in a very specific spot.

but the most fun way, IMO, is if you are on the good side of one gang than you will get small random jobs from that gang. simple random jobs like "drive to point X and kill these dudes", or "there is a vehicle with 4 gang members in it. go kill them all" or something like that.

but please - incorporate controller support. look at what "the red house" did - its a mod that allows you to ocmpletely handle it with a controller or without any numpad keys. its almost seamless to the core game.

a promising mod. if it's beyond just editing game files and involves scripting than im eagerly waiting for it :)

will the gang wars be happening in very specific locations (in very specific neighborhoods) or will i be able to see them happen all around LS?

frankly, if it's something i can only see in predictable locations and i am not driving\playing around these specific locations than i wont be experiencing the mod often and it will have little effect on my game.

i would have hoped that every area in LS will have gangs in them and a chance for a gane activity on it.

i ADORE the idea that the player can be suddenly attacked by enemies\gangs.

i think that once you install the mod all gangs are neutral to the player. no one will attack him. but once you kill about 2 gang members of one gang than that gang will be a little hostile to you. send an occasional 2 man hit on you.

if you kill more of that same gang than the will send more and more hits on you. cars with 4 gang members in them, a few cars, groups of 4 or more enemies on foot (when the player is on foot) etc.

if you kill X gang when you are close to Y gang, or when Y gang and X gang are fighting, than Y gang will like you and it will grant you benefits. not sure what. i think the deeper way would be what you suggested - that you can recruit its members in their turf or in a very specific spot.

but the most fun way, IMO, is if you are on the good side of one gang than you will get small random jobs from that gang. simple random jobs like "drive to point X and kill these dudes", or "there is a vehicle with 4 gang members in it. go kill them all" or something like that.

but please - incorporate controller support. look at what "the red house" did - its a mod that allows you to ocmpletely handle it with a controller or without any numpad keys. its almost seamless to the core game.

Thanks for your support. I'm doing this not only because I love gangs in the GTA world (GTA SA was and still is my favorite game of the series), but also because of people like you. So again, cheers! And yes, it's an asi mod developed in C++.

Regarding your other concerns, take a look at the updated feature list. I don't want to include gang activity in every area of the world simply because I believe it will get repetitive and will take away from the whole atmosphere. The new possible features should aid in the problem of it not having too much of an effect in gameplay due to not being in the specific areas. I will still think of better ideas made up of suggestions from posts here though, so keep suggesting and I will keep adding (don't know how much I will be able to do, but I will certainly try :panic::lol: )

Controller support will be added. Just not the priority right now until I get the groundwork features done.

Edited by Renlou

if you guys want gang shooutouts in places like rockford hills (which is awkward as fcuk) then install gang town and active gangs mods. I love the idea that the gangs stay in their proper places, but there are hoods which are free from gangs in the vanilla game but they sure do need some gang presence - speaking mainy about Mirror Park, all East LS, maybe east Vinewood (near Lost clubhouse), maybe Vespucci Canals (like in Online where`s Marabunta gang attack). Also I think Vespucci beach should have Vagos spawning instead of MB (like it was during the bike repo mission), however this is the type of spawn which was mentioned here earlier - it isn`t controlled by the popcycle.dat. I`m not sure if I understood correctly but do you want to make the player not being a member of any gang? I think this takes a lot from the fun this mod could provide.

sorry. accidental post.

real post below.

Edited by topeira

Thanks for the reply, renlou :)

i feel like your mod will be impressive and useful\meaningful if it injects gang related content with various forms.

MAP BASED:

in certain areas of the map you can witness gang activity (gang shootout on foot, gang cars shooting civilians, car chases between gang cars) and participate.

PLAYER BASED:
gang missions given by gang members or in a different form.
if there are a few randomly generated gang missions (even just simple - go to location X, kill spawned rival gang, or kill anyone inside car Y) than it will bring the gang mod to the player, even if he doesnt encounter it a lot.

and maybe if certain missions happen to take place in a rival gang turf than you'll have an interesting and surprising gang war there.

also hits on the player. a hidden counter that occasionally and randomly sends groups of gang members to hit the player. if the mod detects he's on foot than a group will spawn on foot out of sight and will approach him.
if the player is in a vehicle (or on foot) than a group might spawn in a vehicle to get near him, exit the car and start shooting.

these kind of activities seem (to me) organic to the world and also will bring the mod to the player, whether he stumbles across a gang activity or not.

And maybe every gang has it's own home base around the map, every home base will have a location where if you step into you get a mission for that gang. if you are hostile to that gang and make it alive to this spot than you get a mission for that gang and if you succeed than they become your friends and allow you to recruit body guards for them.

ok. that's anough from me.

and please - feel free to use us as lab mice and publish an alpha version so you can feedback your a$$.

@Renlou - I really like the direction you're taking with the Mod you're developing. I like how you want to keep the gang activity to certain parts of the map, versus all over. Concerning the gangs in these locations, is it at all possible to program different random encounters or sights that you may see the gangs participating in?

For example, lets say I am free roaming through ballas hood and i might see 6 or 7 ballas shooting dice, near a car with music playing. Then based on your Mod, if they respect me they are non aggressive and just keep playing, if they don't respect me, they stop playing and when you get close enough, they attack you?

Another example might be entering the vagos neighborhood and there might be 10 or 15 of them around a BBQ pit eating, drinking, smoking and maybe some music playing. Again, based on your Mod, if they respect me they stay non-aggressive and keep doing what they're doing, if not, they all start to attack me?

I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I just think it might be refreshing to see the gangs more generally just "hanging out" and then possibly they attack us based on our respect or maybe we see a gang randomly attacked by another.

A good example would be the scene I used above where the ballas are shooting dice. It would be cool to be walking around in free roam and see the ballas shooting dice and then a gang of families rolls through and caps them in a drive by.

Again, not sure if stuff like that is possible or if it is, it might be something that would have to be very scripted and then cause it to not feel random. You're Mod sounds awesome already anyways. Can't wait to try it.

PhillBellic

Why wasn't this in the base game? Great Work Renlou. :):^:

if you guys want gang shooutouts in places like rockford hills (which is awkward as fcuk) then install gang town and active gangs mods. I love the idea that the gangs stay in their proper places, but there are hoods which are free from gangs in the vanilla game but they sure do need some gang presence - speaking mainy about Mirror Park, all East LS, maybe east Vinewood (near Lost clubhouse), maybe Vespucci Canals (like in Online where`s Marabunta gang attack). Also I think Vespucci beach should have Vagos spawning instead of MB (like it was during the bike repo mission), however this is the type of spawn which was mentioned here earlier - it isn`t controlled by the popcycle.dat. I`m not sure if I understood correctly but do you want to make the player not being a member of any gang? I think this takes a lot from the fun this mod could provide.

Yeah I've been doing some research and it seems like there are a lot of locations that Rockstar kinda neglected when it comes to gang spawns, some of these gang locations are even talked about by NPCs/Radio/TV in the game and even then there's no evidence of gang activity in those areas during free roam. Also some locations get switched around between gangs, this specially happens in GTA Online (which happens before the events of the main game).

So I'll be doing some work trying to figure out ways to make additions to the world and make it all smoothly blend in with the gameplay, and like you said probably make some territory swaps when possible as well (e.g. Give Vespucci Beach to the Vagos, or at least the section around the area of that mission). The good thing is, since Rockstar didn't really give emphasis to Gangs in GTA V there's a lot that can be changed or added without affecting the "lore", so I'll have a bit of freedom to play around with it.

Regarding making the player part of a gang or not, it's more of a focus kind of thing than anything else. I will focus on making the gangs part of the world since that's what I believe the game lacks the most. With that said, I will also do my best to make things like Territory Takeover & Defense a feature, which by itself is a player triggered event. So really at the end of the day, this mod certainly will bring the player into gang matters, just isn't the main priority. Get my train of thought? Sorta? I know I'm a bit weird when it comes to ideas and planning, but I hope I made it clear enough :)

Thanks for the reply, renlou :)

i feel like your mod will be impressive and useful\meaningful if it injects gang related content with various forms.

MAP BASED:

in certain areas of the map you can witness gang activity (gang shootout on foot, gang cars shooting civilians, car chases between gang cars) and participate.

PLAYER BASED:

gang missions given by gang members or in a different form.

if there are a few randomly generated gang missions (even just simple - go to location X, kill spawned rival gang, or kill anyone inside car Y) than it will bring the gang mod to the player, even if he doesnt encounter it a lot.

and maybe if certain missions happen to take place in a rival gang turf than you'll have an interesting and surprising gang war there.

also hits on the player. a hidden counter that occasionally and randomly sends groups of gang members to hit the player. if the mod detects he's on foot than a group will spawn on foot out of sight and will approach him.

if the player is in a vehicle (or on foot) than a group might spawn in a vehicle to get near him, exit the car and start shooting.

these kind of activities seem (to me) organic to the world and also will bring the mod to the player, whether he stumbles across a gang activity or not.

And maybe every gang has it's own home base around the map, every home base will have a location where if you step into you get a mission for that gang. if you are hostile to that gang and make it alive to this spot than you get a mission for that gang and if you succeed than they become your friends and allow you to recruit body guards for them.

ok. that's anough from me.

and please - feel free to use us as lab mice and publish an alpha version so you can feedback your a$$.

I like the way you think :lol: Big dreamer just like me. I'm not sure I agree with the last one though since it doesn't make much sense that a gang would let you do them a favour and thus consider becoming your friend just because you invaded their home base and got to a certain location on the map. But I guess my idea that just by helping a gang kill another suddenly they like you more doesn't also make that much sense so hey, I guess we are similar indeed :whistle: We have time to test all those things, I plan on working on this mod for a long long time so we'll get to try everything, EVERYTHING

You'll get tired of feedbacking my ass. :blink: That sounds weird af

@Renlou - I really like the direction you're taking with the Mod you're developing. I like how you want to keep the gang activity to certain parts of the map, versus all over. Concerning the gangs in these locations, is it at all possible to program different random encounters or sights that you may see the gangs participating in?

For example, lets say I am free roaming through ballas hood and i might see 6 or 7 ballas shooting dice, near a car with music playing. Then based on your Mod, if they respect me they are non aggressive and just keep playing, if they don't respect me, they stop playing and when you get close enough, they attack you?

Another example might be entering the vagos neighborhood and there might be 10 or 15 of them around a BBQ pit eating, drinking, smoking and maybe some music playing. Again, based on your Mod, if they respect me they stay non-aggressive and keep doing what they're doing, if not, they all start to attack me?

I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I just think it might be refreshing to see the gangs more generally just "hanging out" and then possibly they attack us based on our respect or maybe we see a gang randomly attacked by another.

A good example would be the scene I used above where the ballas are shooting dice. It would be cool to be walking around in free roam and see the ballas shooting dice and then a gang of families rolls through and caps them in a drive by.

Again, not sure if stuff like that is possible or if it is, it might be something that would have to be very scripted and then cause it to not feel random. You're Mod sounds awesome already anyways. Can't wait to try it.

These situations will pretty much happen on their own because of the Player Respect feature and they will already get attacked by others (that's the most important feature of this mod). Not the "hanging out" part of it since that means animations and increased spawn peds. But I might also do that at some point because I do as well feel that there isn't nearly enough gangs hanging around and it really shouldn't be that hard to program compared to all the other things I have in mind. I guess we'll see only after we're able to delve deeper into the game files.

And thank you, I really can't wait until I'm done with exams and start pushing out updates!

Why wasn't this in the base game? Great Work Renlou. :):^:

Thank you so much. This is something I really wanted to see in the game so I'll be dedicating all my "modding time" to it.

im glad we think alike, ranlou, but we havent even seen one letter of code from ya so go modding.

go go go.

you still here?....

geeze. what am i not paying you for?!