4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

gta 5 on pc crashes at startup

gta5rapper

gta5rapper

hello

i bought gta 5 yesterday and i installed it on vista 64 bit and when i start it up there comes 1 min nothing and then it says Grand Theft Auto stopped working. :facedesk:

it gives an error about gta5.exe. :miranda:

can anyone help my?

thanks

Have you tried running it in administrator mode?

gwZr6Zc.png

it gives an error about gta5.exe.

Can you provide any more info about the "error"

Also-- please post your systems specs--

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

gta5rapper

system specs are:

3 gb ram

64 bit proccessor intel pentium

nvidia video card(works with gta 4)

I think GTA 5 is only for Win 7, 8 and 8.1

Also can run on Vista 64 but it is recommended on 7,8 & 8.1

Need a bit more info on specs to really help

Also, is 3gb Ram enough when it needs 4 on minimum spec's. Not saying that is cause of crash but could be a factor

Edited by marmoo

Download and run Speccy, and tell us what comes up under CPU, RAM and Graphics.

gwZr6Zc.png

Slax_Vice86

Hi! I am having a similar issue(the main difference in my case being that the game crashes shortly after starting the intro).

First I got the ERR_GEN_INPUT_2 error(the one where the game won't launch because of too many USB ports plugged in... Okay, already happened to me a couple of times, even when nothing was plugged in). I managed to solve that one, but now I get an unnamed error(the one I described above).

I have tried disabling the intro videos(someone suggested it on a forum), butother than that I only found solutions regarding laptops(switching between the onboard and the dedicated GPU, etc. I am running this on my desktop PC, so I have no problems there) and little else... Anyone have any ideas?

I also have recorded my problem and uploaded

, if it helps.

(I have been able to run this game no problem at very highg settings and 60FPS previously, so I highly doubt that it'll have something to do with my PC not meeting some kind of requirement... But JIC, I run it on a Win 8.1x64 computer, with an ASUS GTX970 and 16GB of RAM)

Edited by Slax_Vice86

Hi! I am having a similar issue(the main difference in my case being that the game crashes shortly after starting the intro).

First I got the ERR_GEN_INPUT_2 error(the one where the game won't launch because of too many USB ports plugged in... Okay, already happened to me a couple of times, even when nothing was plugged in). I managed to solve that one, but now I get an unnamed error(the one I described above).

I have tried disabling the intro videos(someone suggested it on a forum), butother than that I only found solutions regarding laptops(switching between the onboard and the dedicated GPU, etc. I am running this on my desktop PC, so I have no problems there) and little else... Anyone have any ideas?

I also have recorded my problem and uploaded

, if it helps.

(I have been able to run this game no problem at very highg settings and 60FPS previously, so I highly doubt that it'll have something to do with my PC not meeting some kind of requirement... But JIC, I run it on a Win 8.1x64 computer, with an ASUS GTX970 and 16GB of RAM)

You on retail or steam?

Slax_Vice86

You on retail or steam?

Retail. I literally just tried to repair via discs, but without success. On the"bright side", it now takes two seconds longer for it to crash.

Could be a social club problem, try re-installing social club and see if that fixes anything.

Slax_Vice86

Again, like 1 second longer(may still be the +2 seconds from before), but it still crashes.

Any last idea before I simply reinstall this(downloading the patches will be a pain in the *ss)? :monocle:

Well, looks like you may have to try a reinstall, but backup your /updates folder to a external location so your patching wont take aslong ;)

Slax_Vice86

Okay, I never noticed there was such a folder... Thank you very much! With that, reinstalling will take just a little while.

Slax_Vice86

I've been reinstalling the game this whole time(even with discs it takes a long time)... But nothing. I still get the same error. :(

Try backing up your save files and removing them, as you might have a corrupt profile / save file.

Slax_Vice86

I was finally able to fix it;

I did what you suggested, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. But you gave me the idea that maybe my patching files were corrupt, so I tried to download the patch again manually. Again, no success.

Then, I was ready to give up and simply start waiting for a new patch(either drivers or from the game, to see if that fixed something), when I had an idea. Even though it seemed unrelated, I had installed two programs on my PC the day before it started chrashing. As I had nothing to loose, I tried uninstalling them, to see if the game worked. And that was it.

Now I am really p*ssed off that I can't have another program that I have also paid for(albeit not as much as for GTA V) installed on my computer at the same time if I want to use a game I paid 60€ for. Well done, Rockstar. Well done.

tl;dr: Apparently GTA V will insistently crash if you have some remote access-granting programs installed. The desktop client of'Remote Unified'seems to be one of them.

The program might be blocking ports that GTAV are trying to use, or the application may just be incompatible, as remote access applications are very prone to crashing other applications.

Slax_Vice86

What I have found is that GTA V in general is very unstable with particular input methods and peripherals... The"err_gen_input2"error is an example of this.

Anyway, I forgot to say it earlier; thank you very much for your efforts and your time! :) It's always nice to see helpful community members.

I was finally able to fix it;

I did what you suggested, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. But you gave me the idea that maybe my patching files were corrupt, so I tried to download the patch again manually. Again, no success.

Then, I was ready to give up and simply start waiting for a new patch(either drivers or from the game, to see if that fixed something), when I had an idea. Even though it seemed unrelated, I had installed two programs on my PC the day before it started chrashing. As I had nothing to loose, I tried uninstalling them, to see if the game worked. And that was it.

Now I am really p*ssed off that I can't have another program that I have also paid for(albeit not as much as for GTA V) installed on my computer at the same time if I want to use a game I paid 60€ for. Well done, Rockstar. Well done.

tl;dr: Apparently GTA V will insistently crash if you have some remote access-granting programs installed. The desktop client of'Remote Unified'seems to be one of them.

You sir, are AWESOME!!! I had the game running for one day and then the next nothing but crashing. UNIFIED REMOTE was my problem! nobody else has ever suggested this.

THANK YOU!