Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,245 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Homemade Dynamite

Artists & Bands You Discovered Though Video Games

mr quick

I'm not proud to say I "discovered" The Doobie Brothers from GTA V. I was already a fan of Michael McDonald from his work with Steely Dan, but hadn't looked into his career.

Here's a great live show:

Especially dig the instrumental break on "Long Train Runnin'", which kicks off at 30:30. Fun fact about the bongos guy, he started out as a roadie. He became a permanent member of the band after some of the band members heard him playing around with the bongos while rigging!

Homemade Dynamite

Gesaffelstein (GtaV)

Flying lotus (GtaV)

Skrillex (Cod Bo2)

That's it, i'm more into the EDM scene and that isn't used much in games. I still like most of the game music though but i don't really feel like looking them up

What do you mean? EDM has practically become the default genre in racing games.

Sentinel Driver

Way too many. Here are some of them and the songs that I enjoyed

Boston - Peace of Mind

Desert Rose Band - One step forward

L7 - Pretend we are dead

Toto - Hold the line

Thanks GTA!

Homemade Dynamite

More bands/artists I discovered through video games.

Lucius ("Turn It Around" in Rock Band 4)

Courtney Barnett ("Pedestrian At Best" in Guitar Hero Live)

Marmozets ("Move, Shake, Hide" in Guitar Hero Live)

Fashawn ("Something to Believe In" in Madden NFL 16)

The Strypes ("Get Into It" in Need for Speed 2015)

Drenge ("We Can Do What We Want" in Need For Speed 2015)

Aero Chord ("Surface" in Need For Speed 2015)

(Ambient)

I discovered:

• CHVRCHES through the enhanced version of GTA V ("Recover" remixed by Cid Rim)
  • Killing Joke through Need For Speed: Underground 2 ("The Death and Resurrection Show")
  • Eek-a-Mouse through Saints Row 2 ("Ganja Smuggling")
  • TRS-80 also through Saints Row 2 ("Special Effect")

OH NO

I discovered Skyzoo after hearing his song The Chase Is On in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, and now I'm a huge fan, and he is one of my all-time favorites.

sky is a dope artist, real complicated rhyme schemes, i still havent heard music for my friends yet

ive seen him and torae (the barrel brothers) actually freestyling , not pre written verses but off the top, two true emcees..ill see if i can find the video

edit here it is:

some pre writtens id say actually but its just a line or two here n there as a base to go off the top

havent really found many artists through games, though i got heavy into nickel nine after GTA 3, also this track off FIFA 12 0r 13

this f*ckin tune man, ive played this at house parties and it catches ppl by surprise but what a bangin tune, that beat drop at 1:15 is :panic:

Edited by OH NO

Cameron Star

The only two I can remember I discovered from a video game are Kasabian (Club Foot from Alan Wake's American Nightmare) The Cult (The Rain from GTA V).

Mister Pink

Although I like to think I would have got there any way, I'd like to give credit to Rockstar for expediting my love for the Funk.

Other than that, GTA is fantastic and introducing you to new music. I usually know a good amount of music in GTA's all ready and V's latest additions shocked me as it was like they plucked a few tracks from regulars we always play at parties such as Immagination's Flashback, Mothership Connection by Parliment, Da Luniz - I got 5 On It and Bad Girls by MIA.

Loving the music director at Rockstar!

@Phnx: I remember discovering Ganja Smuggling by watching a Howard Marks documentary when he visits Jamaica. Love that track.

Edited by Mister Pink

Richard Power Colt

Mirror's Edge - Solar Fields

FC3: Blood Dragon - Power Glove

Hotline Miami 1 and 2 - pretty much every artist in those games

Also a few individual songs from GTA games. Stevie Nicks in both IV and V is pretty cool, haven't listened much of her other stuff.

I also just like listening to game soundtracks or rather scores, stuff that's specifically made for the game by composers.

Edited by Nutsack McQueen

Sweet Bellic

Queen (One vision and Radio Gaga)

David Bowie (Fascination and Somebody up there likes me)

Acdc (Touch too much)

Phil Collin (In the air tonight)

Stevie Nicks (Edge of seventeen)

Shaytan

Years ago GTA San Andreas introduced me to the music genres I listen to now. Radio X and K-DST still have a special place on my heart thanks to that, before that my music taste was pretty much what I heard on the radio and such, that game introduced me to whole new things I love now - so many great different types of rock.

Thanks to that I always defend for me GTA San Andreas has the best soundtrack of the franchise, more for this personal reason.

Jon Jon

The PS2 game, MX vs ATV Unleashed, introduced me to Skindred, Mushroomhead and several other bands that I like that I hadn't previously known.

Falenone

GTA 3's Rise FM

Slyder - Neo (The One)

Basically every song in San Andreas KDST

Foghat - Slow Ride
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
Heart - Barracuda
KISS - Strutter
Toto - Hold the Line
Rod Stewart - Young Turks
Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream
Joe Cocker - Woman to Woman
Humble Pie - Get Down to It
Grand Funk Railroad - Some Kind of Wonderful
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
America - A Horse with No Name
The Who - Eminence Front
Boston - Smokin'
David Bowie - Somebody Up There Likes Me
Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise
Billy Idol - White Wedding

SFUR
Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It?
Probably there's other games too but don't remember those.

Sir Michael

Lol, growing up, I just about discovered most bands and rapers I listen to through Tony Hawk, Skate, GTA and Rock Band.

In GTA V, I learned about Dom, the band that made that Mirror Park song "Living in America," bought that album, and it's actually one of my favorites.

Another band I heard about in V is Bass Drum of Death. I don't like that song "Crawling After You" in the game, but their other stuff is pretty good. It all sounds like music that would mesh very well with skateboarding. I always loved the sound of garage rock, so it's actually nice knowing the name of a band in that category.

I just... like this kind of music. It might be time fo finally give up rap. :D

KowalskiGuy

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the original one) gave me:

-Disturbed - Decadence

-Avenged in Sevenfold - Blinded in Chains

-Bullet for my Valentine - Hand of Blood

-Celldweller - One Good Reason

Thanks to GTA, I'm enjoying so much music until today, here're some examples.

-Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

-Alice in Chains - Them Bones

-Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

-Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

-Toto - 'Africa' and 'Hold the Line'

-Phil Collins - 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Easy Lover' w/ Phillip Bailey

-Anthrax - Madhouse

-Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight

And let's not forget about Poets of the Fall and their 'Late Goodbye', which is featured in Max Payne 2.

I could write this list for about an hour, but I'm lazy to do so. I'll just finish this here (for now)

Edited by KowalskiGuy

unbid

Discovered t+pazolite from RhythmVaders. I felt glad that I discovered him. Even though his works are very messy and fast-paced, there are tons of energy in there:

and I just found his live action in Chicago:

Shakermaker

Mellowdrone (Driver 3):

Adrian J.

Mellowdrone (Driver 3):

Driv3r had great songs, Syntax-Destiny was great

As for me one of my fav bands was discovered through Driver:Parallel Lines

fuggi

Living Colour from San Andreas. It's quite popular as it's being played every time you join stadium races.

Sir Michael

Notorious bump, but Vice City and Guitar Hero got me into Iron Maiden. I was pretty young at the time, plus my dad didn't listen to that heavy of music, so it was a new thing for me. Powerslave is one of my all-time favorite albums, so many great songs!

When Rock Band first came out, I heard "Highway Star" on a commercial and instantly liked it. I haven't thoroughly explored their music yet, but that, "Space Truckin" and "Smoke On The Water" are some of the top Classic Rock songs in my iTunes library.

Not totally related to the topic since I'm not listing an artist or a band, but the Forza Horizon series is what got me into EDM. Back when Ballad of Gay Tony came out, I loved the new version of Vladivostok FM, but at the time I was too into Rap to really care about exploring the genres. After playing Forza Horizon 2, I'm now exploring EDM as a whole, slowly discovering artists I can see myself following on Soundcloud, Spotify, and whatnot. I can't wait to see what Horizon 3 offers in terms of a soundtrack, they've been superb so far. :)

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

a few songs of avenged sevelfold trough black ops zombies

a few songs of the rolling stones trough black ops story

Globus indirectly trough overall videogame fanmade trailers on youtube....goddamn, really, they make what is for me about like the greatest music one can have....classic music mixed with rock mixed with maybe techno

i want to die listening to one of their songs.

Blaze

IV put me onto global communication - 5:23 which in turn got me into tangerine dream since 5:23 samples the f*ck outta love on a real train

B Dawg

Hatred introduced me to one badass Death Metal band, Blood Red Throne, which has become my favorite ever since!

Edited by B Dawg

Testarossa

CHVRCHES ("The Mother We Share" in Forza Horizon 2.)

Soulwax (Soulwax FM in GTA V, duh.)

Neon Indian ("Change of Coast" and "Polish Girl" in GTA V.)

The Chemical Brothers (This is kind of a tricky one, they were in multiple games I played as a kid, but didn't recognize the songs until years later.)

Depeche Mode (I think it was either "Personal Jesus" on San Andreas or the Beatmasters mix of "Route 66" on Burnout Paradise, not really sure tbh.)

Voggs

I actually discovered Kanye West thanks to GTA IV and EFLC back in 2010.

I remember hearing Danger Zone before but didn't know the artist, so V finally introduced me to Kenny Loggins.

But I found most of my favorite bands through GMVs (Game Music Videos/tributes to games) on Youtube.

CHVRCHES ("The Mother We Share" in Forza Horizon 2.)

CHVRCHES is also in NG GTA V with a remixed version of Recover, Worldwide FM. I knew them before but that made me listen to them.

Edited by Voggs

Twang.

I cite Tony Hawk's Underground as the root of a large portion of my taste.

New Noise by Refused got me into hardcore punk and harder music that wasn't nu-metal trash. That encompasses at least 25% of taste.

Red Hot Chili Peppers had a song on either it or the sequel and they were my favorite band for a few years.

Jane's Addiction was the gateway I used into alternative rock which I was all about for a few years.

There's a sh*t ton of excellent Hip Hop on there and I was into that for a while (not so much now, but still a little).

I didn't even notice it when I first played, but Mastodon had a song on it and they later became my favorite metal band.

Probably 90% of my tastes stem from this base, though not always in obvious ways. It's been like 12 years since then, so the connections are pretty distant and abstract, but I still think of it this way.

JosephStalin

The Journey pretty much single handedly got me into ambient, every track is a masterpiece.

Edited by TruckingYokel

Ivan1997GTA

There's quite a lot of artists and bands that I discovered thanks to videogames, so here are a few:

Suicide ("Ghost Rider" in Driver: Parallel Lines)
Depeche Mode ("Personal Jesus" in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and "Everything Counts" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Static-X ("The Only" in Need for Speed: Underground and True Crime: Streets of LA, "Skinnyman" in Need for Speed: Most Wanted)
Motley Crue ("Live Wire" in Tony Hawk's American Wasterland and Saints Row: The Third, "Too Young to Fall in Love" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and "Looks that Kill" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Gary Numan ("Cars" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City) and the Tubeway Army ("Are Friends Electric?" in Need for Speed: Carbon)
David Bowie ("Suffagette City" in Driver: Parallel Lines, "Fascination" in Grand Theft Auto IV)
The Crystal Method ("Born Too Slow" in Need for Speed: Underground)
Jamiroquai ("Feels Just Like It Should" in Need for Speed: Most Wanted and "Alright" in Grand Theft Auto V)
Phil Collins ("In the Air Tonight" and "Easy Lover" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories)
Marylin Manson ("Rock is Dead" in Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition)
Michael Jackson ("Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Something" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)
Stevie Nicks ("Edge of Seventeen" in Grand Theft Auto IV and "I Can't Wait" in Grand Theft Auto V)

Edited by Ivan1997GTA

(Ambient)

Seeing this thread is still a thing.

• Gong ("Heavy Tune" in GTA IV)
  • Faith No More ("Midlife Crisis" in GTA San Andreas, "Epic" in Burnout Paradise and Saints Row: The Third)
  • Arctic Monkeys ("R U Mine?" in Forza Horizon, "Do I Wanna Know?" in The Crew)
  • Jedi Mind Tricks ("151" [instrumental] in Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition)