2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Allow Regular Members to PM New Members?

Ai®a©ob®a

Ai®a©ob®a

I know they set it up so you needed to be a member with 10 post in order to send a PM but why can't members send a PM to new members?

I wanted to help a new member with something that i couldn't post publicly on the forum and even though it said "Send a Message" once i typed out the message and tried it send it.

I get the "This member blah blah blah messages*

Is it possible to set it up so regular members with say 50-100 post be able to send messages to new members?

• Like 2

100% agree with this. Not being able to PM new members about why their thread was locked or what rules they're breaking is fairly annoying, especially when it's a thread that you have to hide rather than simply locking it.

Edited by TJGM

What would be the point of messaging someone who can't reply? In most cases, the member would want to get back to you but they would still be restricted.

I would be more in favour of removing the minimum 10 post rule since it hasn't entirely discouraged the guy making dupe accounts to send inflammatory messages. Doesn't take long to ban such accounts.

What would be the point of messaging someone who can't reply? In most cases, the member would want to get back to you but they would still be restricted.

I think the idea is that people can start a conversation with new members, but new members can't start a conversation with others. So they can still reply, they just can't initiate the PM.

I'd like to see something done with the rule anyway. I'm not sure if it actually decreases the number of spam PM's by much, but it can be frustrating not being able to PM new members.

If that's the case, I'd be all for it (even though I only ever pm other members in OGA or else where :p). As long as a regular member starts the PM convo, then it shouldn't be an issue..

VWSTp.png

These is a good idea. I will exactly tell you why.

CaseA: I see that many guys join the forums just to get their MC patches done these days. They want the PSD files of the work for future. Now those PSD files have to be given in private or others many steal them.

CaseB: Some guys who have newly joined would only request via PM because, they do "hard work" of finding the Middle Patch (Image) for their MC. But they are afraid that if they post in public then it might get stolen by other MC's.

Now above issues are right now being solved by Email's.

Check out one recent case @ http://gtaforums.com/topic/796115-another-mc-patch/ [its exactly shows the same problem]

Everyone may have different reasons for the same issue though.But these is how I see it.

PhillBellic

These is a good idea. I will exactly tell you why.

CaseA: I see that many guys join the forums just to get their MC patches done these days. They want the PSD files of the work for future. Now those PSD files have to be given in private or others many steal them.

CaseB: Some guys who have newly joined would only request via PM because, they do "hard work" of finding the Middle Patch (Image) for their MC. But they are afraid that if they post in public then it might get stolen by other MC's.

Now above issues are right now being solved by Email's.

Check out one recent case @ http://gtaforums.com/topic/796115-another-mc-patch/ [its exactly shows the same problem]

Everyone may have different reasons for the same issue though.But these is how I see it.

Makes sense really. :)

Twaught-_-Hammer

Agreed. As a new member I can't send or receive messages bit of a pain.

Ai®a©ob®a

Agreed. As a new member I can't send or receive messages bit of a pain.

You can now :)

• 1 month later...
Ai®a©ob®a

I'd like to bring this back up and have a moderators/admin take on this.

As i had another issue where i needed to PM a member to give him something but because he only had 6 post i couldn't PM him and had to ask Raavi to move him to the Members list so i could PM him.

Might be a good idea to remove the limit, as it turned didn't really help that much.

• Like 1

My only doubt is that if you remove that limit that it will be easier for spambots to spam people's PM inboxes,which would be a bit annoying.

Edited by VikDarkbomb

Ai®a©ob®a

My only doubt is that if you remove that limit that it will be easier for spambots to spam people's PM inboxes,which would be a bit annoying.

They already do it now so the limit isn't really helping much and even before the limit it wasn't as bad.

Maybe drop the limit down to 5? or do a "Robot Test" like some websites have?

GamesBoy316

Dropping it to a limit of 5 is a good idea, so people still have a chance of not getting spammed.

Ai®a©ob®a

Forgot to add this earlier, Another reason why i'd like this to be lowered or removed is..

Lately i have been cleaning up my Trade Race Wins thread by removing post that don't aheared to the rules of using the form i posted and if i can i will send a PM to that person informing them of their mistake before i remove the post but a lot of people join the forum just to find someone to help them with races and a lot of times i have to just delete their post and not be able to give them a reason or let them know they're post was deleted because i couldn't PM them.

So maybe set it up if possible for Members more than a certain amount of time here like 6 months or so the ability to start new PM with new members while keeping the current rules in place for new members but that they can reply to PM but they can't start any.

Definetly a better idea,we can start the PM and they can reply,but they can't start it until they get 5 posts :).

We'll bring this issue up in the staff room and keep you informed.

• Like 3

fib_ufo_small.png

I fail to see, if spambots are the problem, why a post count of ONE won't suffice.

Can a spambot even make a post? I don't know, but if they can do one, they can do 10.

We'd have no need to message any new member with no post as we'd not know they exist. So it's fair enough that nobody can join just to PM. However if someone's joined and posted a 'crew needed' post, we need to reply.

Yes, spam bots can post. I remember there was one that made multiple topics instead of just replying to topics. It spammed the General Chat section, as well as the V and Online sections.

VWSTp.png

PhillBellic

Yes, spam bots can post. I remember there was one that made multiple topics instead of just replying to topics. It spammed the General Chat section, as well as the V and Online sections.

Wasn't it that Baba Ji Spam Bot, or you describing a different one?

Something along those lines, yeah. I don't think that's the first time the forum has dealt with bots like this, though

VWSTp.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While it may not be difficult to get by the restriction, it would be a lot easier without it on, so because of this we've decided to keep the limit enabled. We're not able to allow regular members to PM new members as the messaging system is disabled entirely for them. Maybe it will be something to reconsider if IPB4 is capable, but for now nothing will be changing.

All I can suggest is if you need to PM a genuine new member, report their profile and we will move them to the members group for you as it only takes a click or two.

fib_ufo_small.png