3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Someone charged money to my iTunes account

Crazyeighties

Crazyeighties

Hey all for all of you that use ITunes and have a credit card linked make sure to check your statements closely. Apple/ITunes may have been breached and had credit card information comprised. I received an email from my credit card company yesterday informing me of a spike in charges from iTunes totaling over $500 USD. iTunes is the only thing I use this credit card for. The credit card is locked up at the safe box at my bank and I only use my iPhone for purchases so I highly doubt my iPhone was hacked this only leaves the possibility of Apple/ITunes being hacked make sure to pass this on for your friends and family that have credit cards linked to iTunes

sivispacem

Or they popped the email linked to your iTunes account, which is much more likely. That's all you need to make iTunes payments and credit card info is generally hashed and salted, especially after all the other breaches of various Apple customer databases.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Ai®a©ob®a

Hence why i only use iTune gift cards or pre-paid green dot cards which have less than $5.00 on it and why i never use the same password/email for everything.

Edited by Troubadour
  • Like 1

Crazyeighties

I have a pretty high limit, like I said the only way anyone could have gotten a hold of the numbers is a break of some kind at apple. It really makes me worry about even having a credit card but if I want to buy a house, or a car I have to have some credit history the good thing is that capital one has been really good about clearing this up,

sivispacem

like I said the only way anyone could have gotten a hold of the numbers is a break of some kind at apple.

It really isn't, though. Statistically it's far more likely that your email was compromised or that your iTunes creds were outed in one of the previous dumps and you never changed your password. As I explained, you can make iTunes purchases just using your username and password; you don't need any of the actual credit card details.

It really makes me worry about even having a credit card

Or alternatively, don't link credit card details with your online accounts, just enter them manually every time you buy.
  • Like 1

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Ai®a©ob®a

To add to Sivi's post do what i do every month i'll either buy an iTune Gift card or i'll put $30 on a pre-paid debit/credit card and use those instead so if something ever happened to my account they'd only get a few dollars...

But $500 holy crap what can you buy on iTunes for $500? unless they bought a bunch of in game currency or something.

Were all these apps bought and installed on your own account or was your credit card used on a difference iTune account?

Crazyeighties

But $500 holy crap what can you buy on iTunes for $500? unless they bought a bunch of in game currency or something.

That was my question, or they purchased everything in their wish list. I'm going talk to the credit card company today and see if there is anything they have found I'm 90% sure that it was caught early enough that I won't be effected they did not use my apple account because if they purchased movies or music it would have been in my ICloud Edited by Crazyeighties

Ai®a©ob®a

That was my question, or they purchased everything in their wish list. I'm going talk to the credit card company today and see if there is anything they have found I'm 90% sure that it was caught early enough that I won't be effected they did not use my apple account because if they purchased movies or music it would have been in my ICloud

Make sure you file a police report and then your credit card company can revert the charges and when they do that iTunes will be forced to lock everything that person bought, Also they could probably figure out to which account your credit card was then linked to and if it's an iPhone or iPad it can be traced.

Edited by Troubadour

Crazyeighties

That was my question, or they purchased everything in their wish list. I'm going talk to the credit card company today and see if there is anything they have found I'm 90% sure that it was caught early enough that I won't be effected they did not use my apple account because if they purchased movies or music it would have been in my ICloud

Make sure you file a police report and then your credit card company can revert the charges and when they do that iTunes will be forced to lock everything that person bought, Also they could probably figure out to which account your credit card was then linked to and if it's an iPhone or iPad it can be traced.I will do that, that was the last thing I would have thought of doing to help protect myself

Ai®a©ob®a

Make sure you file a police report and then your credit card company can revert the charges and when they do that iTunes will be forced to lock everything that person bought, Also they could probably figure out to which account your credit card was then linked to and if it's an iPhone or iPad it can be traced.
I will do that, that was the last thing I would have thought of doing to help protect myself

Did you make a police report and contact your Credit Card Co.?

Crazyeighties

I will do that, that was the last thing I would have thought of doing to help protect myself

Did you make a police report and contact your Credit Card Co.?

Sure did I'm covered lets just hope this is isolated it's a mess nothing that's hard to clean up, should be able to get my credit score back o where it was befor the fraudulent charges were made

Ai®a©ob®a
Sure did I'm covered lets just hope this is isolated it's a mess nothing that's hard to clean up, should be able to get my credit score back o where it was befor the fraudulent charges were made

If they reverse the charges everything will be fine. I'd love to see the look on that persons face when they find out everything they bought is no longer useable because iTunes will lock it and freeze their account until they settle the balance.

Edited by Troubadour

Crazyeighties

If they reverse the charges everything will be fine. I'd love to see the look on that persons face when they find out everything they bought is no longer useable because iTunes will lock it and freeze their account until they settle the balance.Balance was reverced this morning, unfortunately the charges were not enough to prosecute

Ai®a©ob®a

If they reverse the charges everything will be fine. I'd love to see the look on that persons face when they find out everything they bought is no longer useable because iTunes will lock it and freeze their account until they settle the balance.
Balance was reverced this morning, unfortunately the charges were not enough to prosecute

Who told you that? $500 can be a felony charge in some states.

Crazyeighties

Balance was reverced this morning, unfortunately the charges were not enough to prosecute

Who told you that? $500 can be a felony charge in some states.That's what the credit card company said as well as extensive Internet research, while it is a felony once it hits 500, it may not be worth the company going after the fraudsters.