2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Why troll

Cudwieser

I have ask, but what is the philiosophy of troll. Firstly what exactly is trolling and how many here have trolled, even occasionally including in retaliation? Secondly is trolling something that can be truly controlled?

I do appreciate creative trolling just purely as a form of humor. Also, some victim reactions are hilarious. I don't troll myself (or just barely) and can't stand people just doing the lowest kind of trolling such as running you over in heists, but sometimes it can be funny.

Can someone post some creative trolling GTA videos?

I honestly cracked up at this when I was researching what the ignition bomb is for.

Edited by RogerWho
  • Like 1

Giantsgiants

Easy way to get my K/D ratio up.

Edited by Giantsgiants

BeersInsteadofGears

Some philosophical reasoning behind trolling:

1. Anonymity. Some people are under the impression that you can say anything online and get away with it. Online gaming (even forums) allow people to make up screen names or handles that are not linked to their real world identity. This drives more deviant behavior, because it is easy to avoid consequences...which leads to the next reason:

2. Perceived obscurity. Even if people are using PSN or XBOX accounts tied to their offline identities and know they are not anonymous, they may still have feelings of obscurity. They believe that their expressions are still relatively private. Tolls think other players are just faceless masses they will never encounter offline.

3. Perceived majority status. The spiral of silence theory suggests that when people think they are in the majority in a certain setting, they will more freely express their opinion than those who see themselves as in the minority, and may fear social ostracism if they express an unpopular opinion. Thus, although individuals may not make sexist or racist comments offline, they may feel it’s okay to do so in a particular online setting because they think their opinion or behavior is the prevalent one there...explains why a lot of people shoot first and ask questions later. In Los Santos that sh*t is almost expected.

4. Social identity salience. Online, social identity sometimes means more than our individual identity. Tiffany might be a nice, civil person offline, but when she goes online and encounters other crews she may behave like a hooligan and hurl abuse and dish out trollish behavior (especially if her other crew mates are around). This process of deindividuation is known in more extreme forms as “mob mentality”—you stop seeing yourself as an individual and act more in line with the group. As a result, the group’s behavior can become more extreme than it would have been, as everyone shifts to conform to the group even if they’re not as passionate or opinionated as others in it.

5. Surrounded by “friends.” In Los Santos, people may perceive their online environment to be full of people like them, because they are part of the same GTA:O community. Individuals feel confident self-expressing their trollish behaviour because they anticipate support or agreement from their community. Johnny might post a sh*tty, vitriolic brag post because he assumes that his GTA network members feel the same way, or harass female players or low level players.. He might even do so to earn “likes” or other expressions of agreement from his friends.

6. Desensitisation. Over time, we desensitise to the online environment. Whereas once we would have thought about the consequences of what we do, now we just do without thinking about it. We may see so much trollish behaviour that we think making one ourselves is no big deal. If we get used trolls and 'tolerate' it we start to lose our filter. It's a lot easier to send an offensive or mean text to other players or lure them into a 'pilot-less buzzard flying into the Maze Tower tra'p rather than to say it/or do it to someone’s face....

7. Personality traits. Some individuals are outspoken or just dicks by nature. Others tend to think that they are morally superior to others. And some just enjoy making other people uncomfortable or angry. Any of these traits may drive individuals to express themselves online without a filter. Personality traits such as self-righteousness and social dominance orientation (in which you think some social groups, typically yours, are inherently better than others) are related to expressing intolerance. Others are pig headed believers who will act the troll no matter what, because they believe their actions are infallible.

8. Perceived lack of consequences. Social exchange theory suggests that we analise the costs and benefits in our communication and relationships. All in all, these factors precede the belief that the benefits of expressing oneself outweigh any costs. Anonymity and obscurity suggest you won’t be personally responsible. Perceived majority status, social identity salience, or being surrounded by friends means you believe that even if some people are upset or angry, you have more (or more important) people on your side, so you are winning more friends than you’re losing. Personality traits and desensitisation may making offending or losing friends not seem like a real consequence, because those friends aren’t really "worth it" if they can’t handle a sticky bomb or a cheap RPG to the face,” or they aren’t really friends if they don’t agree with or tolerate you. Pretty easy to remove and add friends on GTA:O too, so no harm in losing a 'friend'?

9. Amusement. This is probably the main factor, because let's face it. Sometimes it's just too much fun giving other players a hard time.

Edited by BeersInsteadofGears

paperbagdude

If it's possible to define trolling as griefing, then yes; I troll a lot. Since there's nothing else to do but ruining the fun of others, trolling is the thing that keeps my wheels going.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

I don't know if they were trolling, but while on Satellite Communications with some players, I climbed on top of the trailer ready to take the Lost out while someone drove the truck. Instead of driving carefully they went speeding down the hill along the road and jumped over a bump. I fell off but the trailer was still attached. The driver let me climb back on and again he took a corner too fast and tipped the trailer (and me) over.

Next thing the Lost start arriving so I start shooting them while others try to flip the trailer right side up, knocking me over with it a few times. Mission failed but the most fun I've had.

WdMeaun_2nd

Wouldnt say trolling is the same as griefing.

"Easy way to get my K/D ratio up" - more griefing.. completely uncreative and unnecessary, but it's not trolling

In short I would say there's 2 reason for trolling.

- Frustration : Some players simply cant match a certain skill level, or are missing vital gameplay information. By trolling you still manage to have impact.

- Personality : With kids it's forgivable.. just imagine the young boy asking "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet.".
It's a part of reaching maturity.. but not all parents actively raise their kids (especially online behaviour).. Some older kids might still use annoyance for attention..

If you are trolling online for the sake of attention.. it's really a cause for concern and it probably has its roots in real life. (parents splitting up, simply being lonely.. etcetera)

Was shopping at Ponsonbys and this random guy starts shooting up the place. Good thing I was in passive mode. Drove back to the apartment and called Lamar's goons and Merryweather mercenaries on him over and over again till he kept getting killed and finally left.

Was it worth it?

No.

I have ask, but what is the philiosophy of troll. Firstly what exactly is trolling and how many here have trolled, even occasionally including in retaliation? Secondly is trolling something that can be truly controlled?

Trolling is huge with teenage boys and that's why you see a lot of that going on.

KamikaziOtter

I'm not a fan of trolling, simply for trolling sake... People who Mission troll, jet, tank, insurgent and grieve in general, are just lacking creativity and are'nt particularly funny... Personally, I think mugger trolling of new players is hilarious... It's relatively harmless, to the uninitiated, they don't see it coming and it always gets a genuinely funny reaction, without driving people insane. ;)

Edited by KamikaziOtter

Some philosophical reasoning behind trolling:

1. Anonymity. Some people are under the impression that you can say anything online and get away with it. Online gaming (even forums) allow people to make up screen names or handles that are not linked to their real world identity. This drives more deviant behavior, because it is easy to avoid consequences...which leads to the next reason:

2. Perceived obscurity. Even if people are using PSN or XBOX accounts tied to their offline identities and know they are not anonymous, they may still have feelings of obscurity. They believe that their expressions are still relatively private. Tolls think other players are just faceless masses they will never encounter offline.

3. Perceived majority status. The spiral of silence theory suggests that when people think they are in the majority in a certain setting, they will more freely express their opinion than those who see themselves as in the minority, and may fear social ostracism if they express an unpopular opinion. Thus, although individuals may not make sexist or racist comments offline, they may feel it’s okay to do so in a particular online setting because they think their opinion or behavior is the prevalent one there...explains why a lot of people shoot first and ask questions later. In Los Santos that sh*t is almost expected.

4. Social identity salience. Online, social identity sometimes means more than our individual identity. Tiffany might be a nice, civil person offline, but when she goes online and encounters other crews she may behave like a hooligan and hurl abuse and dish out trollish behavior (especially if her other crew mates are around). This process of deindividuation is known in more extreme forms as “mob mentality”—you stop seeing yourself as an individual and act more in line with the group. As a result, the group’s behavior can become more extreme than it would have been, as everyone shifts to conform to the group even if they’re not as passionate or opinionated as others in it.

5. Surrounded by “friends.” In Los Santos, people may perceive their online environment to be full of people like them, because they are part of the same GTA:O community. Individuals feel confident self-expressing their trollish behaviour because they anticipate support or agreement from their community. Johnny might post a sh*tty, vitriolic brag post because he assumes that his GTA network members feel the same way, or harass female players or low level players.. He might even do so to earn “likes” or other expressions of agreement from his friends.

6. Desensitisation. Over time, we desensitise to the online environment. Whereas once we would have thought about the consequences of what we do, now we just do without thinking about it. We may see so much trollish behaviour that we think making one ourselves is no big deal. If we get used trolls and 'tolerate' it we start to lose our filter. It's a lot easier to send an offensive or mean text to other players or lure them into a 'pilot-less buzzard flying into the Maze Tower tra'p rather than to say it/or do it to someone’s face....

7. Personality traits. Some individuals are outspoken or just dicks by nature. Others tend to think that they are morally superior to others. And some just enjoy making other people uncomfortable or angry. Any of these traits may drive individuals to express themselves online without a filter. Personality traits such as self-righteousness and social dominance orientation (in which you think some social groups, typically yours, are inherently better than others) are related to expressing intolerance. Others are pig headed believers who will act the troll no matter what, because they believe their actions are infallible.

8. Perceived lack of consequences. Social exchange theory suggests that we analise the costs and benefits in our communication and relationships. All in all, these factors precede the belief that the benefits of expressing oneself outweigh any costs. Anonymity and obscurity suggest you won’t be personally responsible. Perceived majority status, social identity salience, or being surrounded by friends means you believe that even if some people are upset or angry, you have more (or more important) people on your side, so you are winning more friends than you’re losing. Personality traits and desensitisation may making offending or losing friends not seem like a real consequence, because those friends aren’t really "worth it" if they can’t handle a sticky bomb or a cheap RPG to the face,” or they aren’t really friends if they don’t agree with or tolerate you. Pretty easy to remove and add friends on GTA:O too, so no harm in losing a 'friend'?

9. Amusement. This is probably the main factor, because let's face it. Sometimes it's just too much fun giving other players a hard time.

Wow, great post, couldn't have said it better myself :p.

Some people finds it amusing to piss people off, making them mad, and getting attention and to do naughty things when able to be anonymous, in my opinion, even if it's funny or not, I don't like it. Trolling will always be in games because sooner or later people becomes bored with the game, and little kids will always exist.

Edited by nilz45

Not A Nice Person

Because they have small dicks, and want others to feel bad for it

Trolls are emotionally isolated or damaged people who want nothing more than attention but are afraid of letting another person control that attention. Trolls just want a hug, but are incapable of expressing that.

I pity them.

Nb: I don't consider sabotaging a mission to be trolling. Trolling requires premeditated baiting. Joining a mission to purposely fail doesn't make you a troll, just an @sshole.

ugotsmoked

There is no such thing as trolling. You control your response.

Because trolls are wimps who got beaten up a lot while they were kids and now they want to take their frustrations on others,but since they are still afraid of a real fight they can only attack others from the safety of their home (killing unsuspecting players or spawn killing low level players in video games,insulting people or trying to start fights on social websites...).

I don't get trolled in game. You must allow yourself to be trolled. If you don't rise to it it can't happen. Just remain indifferent to their antics. It's all about your reaction.

StangOne50

Id define trolling as doing anything to another player in hopes of pissing them off or just breakin their balls a bit and in extreme cases making them leave the lobby all together. A troll will kill by any means possible-tank, jet now the kuruma lol

Not to be confused with glitchers/modders/wall breachers, those guys are just pussies lol

JaegerPilot1

I do appreciate creative trolling just purely as a form of humor. Also, some victim reactions are hilarious. I don't troll myself (or just barely) and can't stand people just doing the lowest kind of trolling such as running you over in heists, but sometimes it can be funny.

Can someone post some creative trolling GTA videos?

I honestly cracked up at this when I was researching what the ignition bomb is for.

Damnit man, now you gave me something else to do in freeroam. lol

Just did it, well worth the $5K that I had to pay for the bomb.

Edited by JaegerPilot1

StangOne50

Dam so many people against trolls

Ohh they got beat up when they were kids

Ohh get get no love irl

Ohh they have small dicks

Stop being little bitches. The bottom line is trolling is fun , Simple nothing more nothing less. There is no huge thought out explanation. Its f*cking fun thats it.

• Like 3

Ohh get get no love irl

Stop being little bitches. The bottom line is trolling is fun , Simple nothing more nothing less. There is no huge thought out explanation. Its f*cking fun thats it.

Said the troll

Trolling is a art

What the hell else are you supposed to do when you're bored??

StangOne50

Ohh get get no love irl

Said the troll

Well arent we observant

BamaGoodfella

I see trolling as doing something to someone else for no other purpose than to get an emotional response from them. I honestly don't see much of that in GTAO. I do however see a lot of griefing in GTAO and the purpose of that is usually to raise the griefers KD at the expense of weaker/lower level players.

I see trolling as doing something to someone else for no other purpose than to get an emotional response from them. I honestly don't see much of that in GTAO. I do however see a lot of griefing in GTAO and the purpose of that is usually to raise the griefers KD at the expense of weaker/lower level players.

I was just about to ask If the general gun play and being killed in Free Roam amounted to trolling if someone went as far as deliberately not giving someone a chance to play back (we all get killed, but is being caught in cross fire or redirected fire really being trolled)?

Also a few responses seem to differentiate griefing and trolling. Is there a difference?

FrugalDangerMan

Trolling is a art

What the hell else are you supposed to do when you're bored??

Your girlfriend? I'd do her.

No, but seriously,if you are so bored with the game that annoying other players is all you have left to do, turn the game off and go outside. Don't worry, that big bright thing in the sky is called "The Sun" and it's actually quite nice.

• Like 1

JokerSmokerToker

sh*ts and giggle mainly.

Let me guess OP, you got epically trolled and are still trying to extrapolate what happened to you, and why someone would do such a thing?

ugotsmoked

I attack the closest target regardless of rank or k/d. I don't care about my k/d either. My only objective is to dominate.