2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Building a better bad sport

Nutduster

This idea just hit me. Obviously there's a new bad sport thread on here about every other day, and they all boil down to the same debate. As a recent exile, I think bad sport has a lot of problems - but I also think it's something of a necessary evil to keep the game from completely devolving into nothing but griefing.

How about this though: instead of having a separate lobby, Bad Sports are just guys in the same lobbies as anyone else... but they are forced to wear the dunce cap, AND are in mandatory passive mode? Let them still play missions with friends and even be in public free roam; just stop them from doing the thing they love most, that got them in bad sport in the first place.

And people that are proved to be cheating/hacking/whatever should just be banned. Forget bad sport for those guys, just get them out of the game.

• Like 4

WWEMichaelB

This idea just hit me. Obviously there's a new bad sport thread on here about every other day, and they all boil down to the same debate. As a recent exile, I think bad sport has a lot of problems - but I also think it's something of a necessary evil to keep the game from completely devolving into nothing but griefing.

How about this though: instead of having a separate lobby, Bad Sports are just guys in the same lobbies as anyone else... but they are forced to wear the dunce cap, AND are in mandatory passive mode? Let them still play missions with friends and even be in public free roam; just stop them from doing the thing they love most, that got them in bad sport in the first place.

And people that are proved to be cheating/hacking/whatever should just be banned. Forget bad sport for those guys, just get them out of the game.

So you noticed there were a ton of bad sport threads being added so you decided to add another one?

• Like 3

CrazyHandz

Or, they could just remove bad sport from GTA Online, then we wouldn't have to worry about daily threads or the stupid lobby.

• Like 1

So you noticed there were a ton of bad sport threads being added so you decided to add another one?

Yes. Sorry that I didn't spell out why, but I feel that there are constant bad sport threads because its current design is problematic, and I think we need either a major fix to it, or an alternative replacement for it. Anything that generates this much constant debate is probably not working the way it should.

• Like 1

JaegerPilot1

Just stop doing stupid sh*t to get you into the bad sport lobbies. It's not really that hard to figure out.

TacoSmuggler

I'd rather be in bad sport than forced passive mode... I miss my dunce cap :(

• Like 1

WWEMichaelB

Yes. Sorry that I didn't spell out why, but I feel that there are constant bad sport threads because its current design is problematic, and I think we need either a major fix to it, or an alternative replacement for it. Anything that generates this much constant debate is probably not working the way it should.

Ok then

If you type google, into google, it breaks the Internet.

OT: I haven't beem in Bad Sports for ages and I am the worst human. How are people still ending up in there?

Not a bad idea. And can we do the same about red dots? Seriously how the f*ck does one become a red dot? Yesterday I killed 3 white dots while while trying to deliver a high priority export car and my mental state went up a tiny notch. How many white dots do you have to kill to go psycho, 200? Or 500 pink dots? Jesus. In comparison to that, blowing up cars is nothing.

No, you're separated for a reason. You belong there.

How about you're allowed to join only assisted aim for one year and you can't use any of your own property (since you don't respect anyone elses) and your only weapon is a pistol.

Keep the hat as a reward.

Edited by TreFacTor

OT: I haven't beem in Bad Sports for ages and I am the worst human. How are people still ending up in there?

Good question. I don't know how it happens for most people I guess. I've been in twice in the last few months. The first time I was just fighting with people like normal and stayed in one session for about 4 hours; apparently being in one session that long is a bad idea because I eventually got bad sport. I wasn't going out of my way to do it or blowing up a lot of cars (no more than normal). The second time, I still don't know what happened. I played a very small amount of time (maybe 30 minutes spread over two sessions with missions in between), blew up only a handful of cars, and suddenly was bad sported. It was so random that I wondered if I was on a shorter leash from the previous time, though that was a couple months prior.

Not a bad idea. And can we do the same about red dots? Seriously how the f*ck does one become a red dot? Yesterday I killed 3 white dots while while trying to deliver a high priority export car and my mental state went up a tiny notch. How many white dots do you have to kill to go psycho, 200? Or 500 pink dots? Jesus. In comparison to that, blowing up cars is nothing.

It's not hard to become a red dot. I don't know the exact number of kills it takes, but if you get into a war with a few other people (which happens easily in many lobbies), you'll get there pretty soon. (Slaughter cops for 15 minutes and that helps, too.) I'm not in favor of punishing people just for killing. This mentality supposes that there aren't plenty of people in free roam who WANT to fight. Why punish them for fighting with other people who also want to fight?

No, you're separated for a reason. You belong there.

Take that to any or all of the other bad sport threads, please. I am not at all interested in discussing whether people "deserve" bad sport for playing in a way the game generally encourages (and at minimum, allows). I am really only interested in proposing an alternate approach to bad sport that would allow it to still exist and still protect the pacifists out there, but not be so wretched and annoying.

Edited by Nutduster

How about, everybody who kills anyone in free mode, instandly gets send over to badsport. Making the non-griefers a rare kind in free mode who can play together to have fun in peace?

MRM95Jb.png

What's funnier, thinking after two years bad sport is going to change or the bad sports crying about getting put there? You're not going to get bad sport reformed here.

Edited by TreFacTor

How about, everybody who kills anyone in free mode, instandly gets send over to badsport. Making the non-griefers a rare kind in free mode who can play together to have fun in peace?

Obviously you're trolling, and not well, but I have to ask: if this is your mentality, why not just turn off friendly fire in lobbies completely?

The big question that responses like yours seem to never ask is: if killing each other in public free roam is inherently bad, why does this game so far out of its way to encourage it - by selling us fun weapons, letting us auto-aim on each other, making explosives plentiful and cheap, by boosting our k/d ratio and brag rights when we kill each other, by having players drop money when killed, by pitting us against each other for objectives, by the bounty system (which even activates at random when stealing cars), and on and on? Aside from personal vehicle destroying - and that is basically the ONLY exception - this game wants us to kill each other. It rubs its hands together gleefully and openly begs for it to happen. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself.

What's funnier, thinking after two years bad sport is going to change or the bad sports crying about getting put there? You're not going to get bad sport reformed here.

The game is still a work in progress to some extent - things get patched and adjusted all the time. However, I do doubt a major overhaul to bad sport is forthcoming. That doesn't stop me from thinking one is necessary though. To me it is ridiculous that I can get bad sport for staying in one free roam for a few hours and defending myself against backward-Entity or Kuruma attackers; but another guy can sit on a rooftop or hill sniping the same low level guy for an hour and nothing happens to him. The system doesn't work. It would at least be more tolerable if the punishment wasn't so punitive.

Edited by Nutduster

ExplosiveEnergy386

I like your idea OP. I think your idea could be very well implemented into gta Online. Yes bad sports being forced to wear the dunce cap and having to stay in passive mode for a while untill they show good behavior would be good.

Edited by ExplosiveEnergy386

Obviously you're trolling, and not well, but I have to ask: if this is your mentality, why not just turn off friendly fire in lobbies completely?

The big question that responses like yours seem to never ask is: if killing each other in public free roam is inherently bad, why does this game so far out of its way to encourage it - by selling us fun weapons, letting us auto-aim on each other, making explosives plentiful and cheap, by boosting our k/d ratio and brag rights when we kill each other, by having players drop money when killed, by pitting us against each other for objectives, by the bounty system (which even activates at random when stealing cars), and on and on? Aside from personal vehicle destroying - and that is basically the ONLY exception - this game wants us to kill each other. It rubs its hands together gleefully and openly begs for it to happen. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself.

The game is still a work in progress to some extent - things get patched and adjusted all the time. However, I do doubt a major overhaul to bad sport is forthcoming. That doesn't stop me from thinking one is necessary though. To me it is ridiculous that I can get bad sport for staying in one free roam for a few hours and defending myself against backward-Entity or Kuruma attackers; but another guy can sit on a rooftop or hill sniping the same low level guy for an hour and nothing happens to him. The system doesn't work. It would at least be more tolerable if the punishment wasn't so punitive.

You have choices, you choose to blow up pvs, the other person you describe isnt. You can simply stop playing. You yourself admit to these fruitless posts being repetitive and pointless.

You have choices, you choose to blow up pvs, the other person you describe isnt. You can simply stop playing. You yourself admit to these fruitless posts being repetitive and pointless.

It's my own fault for continuing to engage with you. But I feel compelled to ask: why is it that people like you are opposed to improving the game, and would rather just continually post nonsense like the above? Obviously I know how the system works and can find ways to avoid being in bad sport. You are not telling me anything I don't know, nor anything useful whatsoever.

It seems like every video game has this weird breed of fanboy who just is opposed to changing anything on general principle and not for any actual good reason. The player I described (the rooftop sniper picking on a low level) is actively griefing; I would think you would oppose that, but you don't. All you want, apparently, is for people to not blow up cars that take less than a minute to replace, at no cost to the owner. Why do you think in this backward way? The ideal version of GTA:O would punish true griefers - people who regularly make the game experience worse for others - and not people who are just doing what the game practically begs them to do.

I like your idea OP. I think your idea could be very well implemented into gta Online. Yes bad sorts being forced to wear the dunce cap and having to stay in passive mode for a while untill they show good behavior would be good.

Thank you. I think it would accomplish the main thing bad sport is for (prevent truly obnoxious players from being obnoxious for a while), while also letting them continue to get SOME enjoyment out of a game they paid for, and still play it with friends, etc. It would be a funny and effective control instead of just a really frustrating punishment that makes people not want to play anymore. I could deal with being a ghost because I blew up some Kurumas, but being prevented from playing with my crew just makes me go play a different game.

Edited by Nutduster
  • Like 2

JokerSmokerToker

remove that sh*tty system. might as well call it Grand Theft Kindergarten if they dont.

/thread

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

people that murdered so called inocent people still complain about how they are treated in prison....

i mean.....such people dont need to complain....they need to be dead !

though i admit i think bad sport is pretty harsh, i rather have it this way then having grieving pieces of sh*t everywere.

especialy since half of those bad sport bitch and moan treads are made about pureblood jet trolls and tank trolls.

also, though the idea of giving the bird to every bad sport when walking in freeroam sounds tempting, its a bad idea atleast in this gta since i cant just imagen, somehow someone will be able to find a glitch to abuse it so they are imortal but can still kill everyone in session.

bad sport....it aint perfect, but its better then nothing and most people that

people that murdered so called inocent people still complain about how they are treated in prison....

That's a ridiculous comparison. No one is innocent in GTA. Maybe 10% of the population (if that) is just doing car meets and stuff. Almost everyone I run into is out to kill me. This ongoing idealization of the GTA community is so funny... as if there's a world of difference between a bad sport and the average player.

This mentality supposes that there aren't plenty of people in free roam who WANT to fight. Why punish them for fighting with other people who also want to fight?

That's what I read very often on this forum: "I only fight those who want to fight." But here's the question, how do you know who wants to fight? From my experience, the definition would be "anyone who has the audacity to be in the 1 mile radius of my position". Also, "everyone on or around airport", "everyone leaving their house", "everyone around LSC", "everyone with a bounty".

The only reasonable system for GTAO would be split to friendly and hostile lobbies. By default you get to friendly, if you kill say, 10 people in public in a week, you'll get into hostile lobbies. Or you can go there right away if you want. And no bad sport for blowing up PVs in hostile lobbies. And if you want to visit the friendly lobbies, you can but in passive mode only. There, problem solved.

Edited by RogerWho

^ I've made that exact suggestion before. Hostile and friendly lobbies isn't a bad idea, as long as my friends have the option to join me in the hostile lobbies if they want (and we can still do jobs of course). I just find myself a little perplexed by a game that encourages hostility in all forms - and the player base of which is predominantly hostile at all times - and yet wants to occasionally, arbitrarily punish you for said hostility. It's illogical and self-defeating.

As for people who "want to fight," I don't know how this works for others. But I have a rule for myself not to kill anyone more than once in a row unless they're trying to kill me back. I just leave the area and let them decide if the fight continues. I don't think anyone should complain about being killed once in THIS game, and if they get killed again, it's a decision they made to continue the fighting. I also don't go after really low level players at all.

Edited by Nutduster

I suppose the idea behind BS was that since this is a GTA game, people would spend most time in their cars and ergo killing a player would equal blowing up their PV. If that was the case, then BS would work as a 'hostile' lobby. But it's obviously not how it is in reality - people steal cars (hey! GTA!) or get shot by Kuruma griefers, or when shopping or whatever. So it's not serving the purpose.

This idea just hit me. Obviously there's a new bad sport thread on here about every other day...

OP starts a new bad sport thread while observing that there's new bad sport threads about every other day.

<sigh>

1. Bad Sport isn't going to keep people from blowing up cars or killing people in Passive. Players are always going to blow up cars – it's the most inviting aspect of the game, which is why it's so unreasonable to punish players who do it.

2. If you haven't been to Bad Sport, it's filled with the most unsavory toolbags ever to play this game. It's not uncommon to see 3 or 4 jets flying around just griefing the living tar out of the entire lobby. There's "hackers/modders/whatever they are" that can kill you from the other side of the map or blow up your car from their apartment. Players with lag switches? And of course, the mic chatter... good lordy.

3. While I'm writing this, I just logged on. I'm current IN Bad Sport (for both blowing up cars AND killing players in Passive). I make no apology and I accept my time, even though it stinks. But, within 3 seconds – yes, 3 seconds – of logging on, I was immediately blown up by a Jet. After respawning, blown up again. It sucks beyond anything else in this game to be owned in such a meaningless way, with no apology from the sharks festering in the waters of the GTA skyline.

4. That's how it is in Bad Sport. The designers of this game knew what was coming and they made a special place for the true "bad sporting players." Some players live in Bad Sport.

5. For me, the best way to deal with the insanity is to just do Missions, alone. In Rooftop Rumble, you get the whole city to yourself. I do the job, then just play in the city, usually stunting on my bike.

6. And lastly, when I feel like the world of GTA may never forgive me, I just find myself a friendly reminder that when I get out of Bad Sport, everything will be warm and fuzzy again. :)

Cheers!

0_0.jpg

Edited by fw3
  • Like 1

Not A Nice Person

I would say they belong there (which they really do) but they should just put friebdly and normal lobbies, if you happen to kill anyone in friendly you get 2 YEARS in bad sport YES i have NO chill.

Good suggestion, OP. Never been in BS, zero sympathy for anyone who ends up there, but forced passive for BS is definitely making the punishment fit the crime.

I've said this in other BS threads, but the only real issue with it is you can get BS points while defending yourself from an attacker in their PV.

The change I'd like to see is BS and insurance getting voided as soon as a PV driver makes an offensive move on another player - fire a gun, throw a bomb, hit 'em with their car and the driver (and his car) are fair game - but if someone HL's your car when you were just cruising, BS for them.

Edited by God-eater

Nutduser.

You have other methods of defense. That is the simple fact of the matter. Should you not want to get into bad sport simply don't blow up personal vehicles.

What's so complicated about it? I blow up cars at will, have since day one and have never been in bad sport. I also have a free aim free roam kill death ratio of 3.47 without ever coming close to dodgy.....I have no sympathy for explosive happy players, tanks drivers, Lazer pilots,or hot headed players in general who are too dense to survive in free roam under its current parameters.

More over, I find discussing the matter here even more pathetic because it accomplishes nothing.

Edited by TreFacTor

lilmoonpie

Griefers who have never been in bad sport - check your reputation or Rep on XBox Live or whatever the equivalent for PS is. I have a theory that you're fine until more than 50 percent of people have "unpreferred" you or "avoided" you (have more than 50 percent bad rep). Then the game starts to get itchy to throw you in bad sport.

I really like OPs idea. I really wish Rockstar would find a way to change coding so that blowing up armored Kurumas and Insurgents didn't count toward getting in bad sport. Those cars are weapons, first and foremost.

Nutduser.

You have other methods of defense. That is the simple fact of the matter. Should you not want to get into bad sport simply don't blow up personal vehicles.

What's so complicated about it? I blow up cars at will, have since day one and have never been in bad sport. I also have a free aim free roam kill death ratio of 3.47 without ever coming close to dodgy.....I have no sympathy for explosive happy players, tanks drivers, Lazer pilots,or hot headed players in general who are too dense to survive in free roam under its current parameters.

More over, I find discussing the matter here even more pathetic because it accomplishes nothing.

I find your response pathetic. Not to mention tiresome and ignorant of the fact that other people already posted these same responses, and I already addressed them. The whole reason I put this thread up was to discuss a new idea, not to engage in the same old "well don't blow up personal vehicles if you don't wanna be in bad sport" nonsense.

Good suggestion, OP. Never been in BS, zero sympathy for anyone who ends up there, but forced passive for BS is definitely making the punishment fit the crime.

I've said this in other BS threads, but the only real issue with it is you can get BS points while defending yourself from an attacker in their PV.

The change I'd like to see is BS and insurance getting voided as soon as a PV driver makes an offensive move on another player - fire a gun, throw a bomb, hit 'em with their car and the driver (and his car) are fair game - but if someone HL's your car when you were just cruising, BS for them.

I would agree, though I'm not sure I trust the code of this game to handle that properly. Remember how long it took them to figure out insurance & bad sport with respect to tanks? I'm actually not even sure it works NOW, but then I don't see nearly as many tanks anymore. But the bottom line is that a car whose driver is shooting at you or throwing bombs at you should be fair game. I've never made any apology at all for blowing up those cars before they blew ME up, and defending myself against those guys was what put me in bad sport for the first time. All it took was a number of hours in a crazy lobby where everyone was shooting everyone else, and me being a little hair-trigger blowing up a number of cars (I RPG'd one guy's backward Entity four separate times!).