2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Darlyn

So how's enabling roof+door deformation (damage) coming along?

Gamester42

Thanks, but I don't see any .ymt files related to vehicles in the PC files. All I see for each car is a ytf (models) and ytd (textures).

Edited by Gamester42

DaveKap

When you guys say it was working before; do you mean a certain PC patch version had full the damage working or only on PS3/360?

As far as I can tell, the feature of door/roof deformation was only in the PS3/360 versions and was removed for the PS4/XBone/PC versions due to the first person mode. Not once did I ever see it as a thing that happened in any of the new versions. It will be really interesting to see if it can be modded back into the PC version considering it was never in it in the first place and is most probably a hard-coded physics change.

Gamester42

DaveKap, on 04 Jun 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:
It will be really interesting to see if it can be modded back into the PC version considering it was never in it in the first place and is most probably a hard-coded physics change.

At first I thought that too, but now I'm thinking it may be some value or bound set in a vehicle specific models. The reason I think that is that some vehicles in GTAV PC can get roof damage in certain situations.

For example, if you take a Buccaneer to Los Santos Customs and put a painted hardtop on it, the roof is now damageable; you can crush it all the way in or beat it to death with the bat for example just like happens on PS3/XB360 normally...

roof_damage.jpg

It has to be some kind of model parameter or setting. Otherwise, this wouldn't be able to happen just by changing a part if it were a global physics engine setting...

Edited by Gamester42

DaveKap

if you take a Buccaneer to Los Santos Customs and put a painted hardtop on it, the roof is now damageable; you can crush it all the way in or beat it to death with the bat for example just like happens on PS3/XB360 normally...

That's awesome! I didn't know about that. In this case, I would be inclined to agree that it should just be some value. The question still remains about doors, though.

Gamester42

Yea, I bet if the model files of a car were copied over from the XB360/PS3 version, it would probably have full damage. I have an XB360 copy of GTAV that I tried to do this with, but I couldn't get the RPFs to open in OpenIV for some reason. If someone who is able to open a car from XB360/PS3 and test it we could see if that works or not...

Darlyn

Yea, I bet if the model files of a car were copied over from the XB360/PS3 version, it would probably have full damage. I have an XB360 copy of GTAV that I tried to do this with, but I couldn't get the RPFs to open in OpenIV for some reason. If someone who is able to open a car from XB360/PS3 and test it we could see if that works or not...

I linked to the 360 version here. I highly doubt those will work in the PC version, but it's worth at least looking at in OpenIV (which doesn't really show model layer properties, just names):

I can't remember their names right now but I do have them bookmarked.

Also I had an idea yesterday. If we can download a ps3/360 copy of the game and compare it's vehicle related content to the pc maybe we could find a clue.

I downloaded common.rpf and I'm still examining it. If only I knew which files deal with a car's deformation, the ones that I think do that, are the ones we can't open yet.

In the X360 version, the vehicles are in xbox360b.rpf/models/cdimages/vehicles.rpf. You can get vehicles.rpf in this thread (195 MB).

In the PC version, they are in x64e.rpf\levels\gta5\vehicles.rpf

We'll have to wait until OpenIV is updated to view the PC files, though. This feature hasn't been made public yet.

PißWasser

To test this out I recommend you spawn a dozer, and a buncanneer + use noremovelastvehicles mod, or whatever its called.

When you drive over the bucanneer it does indeed damage the top heavily, but not the framework of the window. Which would be the actual roof. So I think the hardtop roof is not really considered a roof, but it just removes the soft top roof. and puts this over it as a mod.

So maybe the no side and roof damage is hardcoded afterall.

:(

Dilapidated

Hope this gets tested soon. I would love to see roof and door deformation again. Anyone had any luck so far?

b0ssVenom

I see no reason why the values would be built into vehicles models, GTA 4 didn't have that either, as the deformation limits were hardcoded probably into the physics engine.

Fireboyd78

I see no reason why the values would be built into vehicles models, GTA 4 didn't have that either, as the deformation limits were hardcoded probably into the physics engine.

Really? No reason, huh? Then how is it that the game knows instinctively not to deform the doors/roof? It just knows?

This kind of information is perfect for being stored in the models. It's likely a simple flag that the OpenIV model viewer doesn't tell us about (since it's very basic).

Edited by Fireboyd78

Dilapidated

Really? No reason, huh? Then how is it that the game knows instinctively not to deform the doors/roof? It just knows?

This kind of information is perfect for being stored in the models. It's likely a simple flag that the OpenIV model viewer doesn't tell us about (since it's very basic).

Hopefully as OpenIV is updated we will find out soon enough. I personally don't see why Rockstar would of hardcoded the deformation limits instead of just disabling them through the models themselves. Especially since these models were capable of being deformed on the 360/PS3. Perhaps the coding within the 360/PS3 files will one day provide us with a method of getting around this if nothing else.

Edited by Dilapidation

PißWasser

If its hardcoded, we could always make ghe game think theres no roof at all, and make a new model. Same goes with the doors. It's either a flag we can set, or its in the models, and otherwise we can still get around it by remoddeling cars without telling the game whats a roof and whats a door

b0ssVenom

Because it seems R* hasn't implemented anything like that in GTA 4, I doubt they would do that for GTA 5, correct me if I'm actually wrong. AFAIK Even car mods in GTA 4 had that limit of deformation.

I can see a possibility of R* hardcoding the limits in this way: We have a car model and then there's a sphere. The sphere tells us, where the car won't deform anymore. The sphere could have dimensions like this:

ShqziBv.jpg

Area inside of the circle would be the approximate limit, where the car can't get deformed anymore.

The sphere dimensions would depend on the vehicle dimensions, compared to them the possible deformation limit could get computed by location of center pivot and dimensions of the sphere would be scaled down by some percentage.

This is just a theory, though.

Edited by Bone34

PißWasser

Because it seems R* hasn't implemented anything like that in GTA 4, I doubt they would do that for GTA 5, correct me if I'm actually wrong. AFAIK Even car mods in GTA 4 had that limit of deformation.

I can see a possibility of R* hardcoding the limits in this way: We have a car model and then there's a sphere. The sphere tells us, where the car won't deform anymore. The sphere could have dimensions like this:

ShqziBv.jpg

Area inside of the circle would be the approximate limit, where the car can't get deformed anymore.

The sphere dimensions would depend on the vehicle dimensions, compared to them the possible deformation limit could get computed by location of center pivot and dimensions of the sphere would be scaled down by some percentage.

This is just a theory, though.

I don't think theyve done it that way, because of the hardtop bucanneer being able to get damaged on the roof, but not on the window frame, which is also a part of the roof. This proofs that there isnt any such sphere, because if there was, either the hardtop wouldnt deform, or the window frame would deform as well, and rockstar wouldve made a wrong sphere for the buccanneer.

b0ssVenom

I don't think theyve done it that way, because of the hardtop bucanneer being able to get damaged on the roof, but not on the window frame, which is also a part of the roof. This proofs that there isnt any such sphere, because if there was, either the hardtop wouldnt deform, or the window frame would deform as well, and rockstar wouldve made a wrong sphere for the buccanneer.

I got possible explanation for that. The roof is probably stored in a separted file (like LSC car parts), which would mean those limits won't apply to it, unless it's actually part of the car model file, which could be an oversight by R*. This could be true, as this seems to happen to cabrio cars only. This could even get supported by the fact, that you can see on the picture way above, that there is a big difference of deformation between the actual roof and doors. You can see those holes between roof and doors, this wouldn't happen to any other kind of car.

Edited by Bone34

Mr Tomato

Franklins cars roof can be deformed when you have the carbon roof, hard to do and hard to notice but it happens

PißWasser

I got possible explanation for that. The roof is probably stored in a separted file (like LSC car parts), which would mean those limits won't apply to it, unless it's actually part of the car model file, which could be an oversight by R*. This could be true, as this seems to happen to cabrio cars only. This could even get supported by the fact, that you can see on the picture way above, that there is a big difference of deformation between the actual roof and doors. You can see those holes between roof and doors, this wouldn't happen to any other kind of car.

Basically youre saying that the sphere would only apply to the roof and doors, so then why make that sphere? why not just state that roof and doors cant damage? You'd be doing double work.

cp1dell

If its hardcoded, we could always make ghe game think theres no roof at all, and make a new model. Same goes with the doors. It's either a flag we can set, or its in the models, and otherwise we can still get around it by remoddeling cars without telling the game whats a roof and whats a door

That's seems like an incredible complicated workaround - doing that for every vehicle. If that would work, I doubt very much there is someone who would be willing to do that anyways.

Crimson Flam3s

What about comapring the files between these deformable roofs and the normal indestructible ones, see what's different? Isn't it the model that changes?

b0ssVenom

Basically youre saying that the sphere would only apply to the roof and doors, so then why make that sphere? why not just state that roof and doors cant damage? You'd be doing double work.

I'm saying the opposite - The sphere only applies to car models, while it doesn't apply to the modded parts (or modded parts use old gen version of deformation).

Edited by Bone34

PißWasser

I'm saying the opposite - The sphere only applies to car models, while it doesn't apply to the modded parts (or modded parts use old gen version of deformation).

Hmm, not sure

DannyBee

Something interesting to note is that since that latest patch, vehicles now deform in hit with a melee weapon. I've noticed that hitting the roof and sides with a baseball bat will now create very slight dents, you can tell as the reflection will actually bend and therefore the model is deformed. I'd say that if the files exist to extend the deformation in the passenger cell it can be found in the files updated or changed by the latest patch.

sosak47

It's really a bit unrealistic, i ran this emperor over probably a dozen times with a bulldozer and the roof hasnt even got a dent in it...really?

cc0bc0a37a.jpg

badchriss

@Danny:Are you sure those were real deformationsand not just 3D llike Bumpmap Textures?

Would be cool indeed...

@sosak:Well at least the Car Manufactor did a good Job to make the Car safer. :D

DannyBee

@Danny:Are you sure those were real deformationsand not just 3D llike Bumpmap Textures?

Would be cool indeed...

@sosak:Well at least the Car Manufactor did a good Job to make the Car safer. :D

Sadly I don't have access to GTA V on PC at the moment but I assure you that it works. Best car to do it on is the Tailgater at dusk, it's not a normal map as the mesh actually deforms. I'll try and get some proof later

Crimson Flam3s

I remember that on the patch notes, R* mentioned vehicles now deform properly by melee weapons.

Indeed, looking at the updated files might be a good way to search for clues, anyone has a list of all the folders that changed?

4NT1R3KL4M4

Someone may be able to change the limits, it is probably coded into physics engine thought.

These limits were there in GTA 4 as well, it's nothing very new.

Look how much for example you can damage Comet until you hit the deformation limits:

V8GcMpy.png

We really need to adjust that.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/797945-vwip-enbseries-graphics-modification/

oxswwjP.jpg

Bloody Mary

Using a realistic vehicle damage mod things seem fine with overall body damage, but I've not seen any roof deformation. Then again, I never saw any roof deformation at all.

badchriss

Rofl,that Comet in the first pic looks really hilarious.Kinda lie a Compact or something.

BTW,seems that the Roof Deformation Restrictions are different on several Vehicles.Just check out this Roofline of the Hearse (was hit by a Train).

I`m just wondering because isn`t the Romero also a Fourdoor?If so why is the Roof above the rear Seats so heavily damaged?

3431376334313164.jpg

6534363533353634.jpg