4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

DOOM 4

ClaudeSpeed1911

ClaudeSpeed1911
doomalrtcoverartheader.jpg

Doom (stylized as DOOM and originally known as Doom 4) is the upcoming reboot of the Doom series by id Software following the release of its last title, Doom 3, in 2004. It is slated for simultaneous release on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One with no confirmed release date. After years in development with almost no news from id Software, it was restarted completely in 2011 withBethesda Softworks as publisher for the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_%28upcoming_video_game%29

Gameplay features:

• Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.
  • Set outside a massive UAC research facility on Mars as it's being invaded by the forces of Hell.
  • Hellknights, cyberdemons, revenants, mancubii, and other classic monsters were spotted throughout the demo.
  • Classic Doom weapons, including the fan-favorite double-barrell shotgun return. Plasma rifle, rocket launcher, and the good old chainsaw were also shown off.
  • Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.
  • Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are "committed" to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second.
  • Wonderfully gory close range executions, including special ones for dropping down on enemies from above.
  • Revenants now have jetpacks and can hover about while firing rockets at you.
  • At least one weapon, the combat shotgun, has an alternate fire mode, which allows you to charge up and release multiple shells in rapid succession.
  • Sprinting, double-jumping and mantling are all possible, making for very fluid motion during combat.
  • Enemies can teleport in for old-school style ambushes
  • Dying results in a crazy fatality scene depending on what killed you a la Dead Space. Revenants rip your arms off and punch straight through your combat helment.
  • Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/doom-gameplay-unveiled-at-quakecon-2014

Gameplay Trailers:

Gameplay:

Looking forward to the e3 demo!

Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911

They clearly know what DOOM is. If they stay true to their words, this may just be one of the best reboots in gaming history.

• Like 3

Ss4gogeta0

No rocket jump?

No chainsaw?

No Berserker?

0/10 preorder canceled

Edited by Ss4gogeta0

ClaudeSpeed1911

I don't think rocket jump was ever in Doom, You must be thinking about Quake.

No rocket jump?

No chainsaw?

No Berserker?

0/10 preorder canceled

Read the post again, there will be chainsaws. Edited by Stormingz
  • Like 1

ClaudeSpeed1911

The people who saw it says it was inspired by it so you could say that.

Yes, rocket jumping/boosting was a Doom thing. Mostly for speedruns though.

Cancelled version looks bland and unimaginative to say the least, it shows they had no fun while creating it, during that time, weird. Thankfully current version should be ok !

Edited by ARC8_1982

ClaudeSpeed1911

Yes, rocket jumping/boosting was a Doom thing. Mostly for speedruns though.

Really? that just shows how much I know about this game. Thanks for correcting me.

Cancelled version looks bland and unimaginative to say the least, it shows they had no fun while creating it, during that time, weird. Thankfully current version should be ok !

Yeah that was a bit too Call Of Duty ish, still would like some earth levels like the ones in Doom 2.

Hope that this one is a remake of the story from the old Doom series.

Man, I hope they stick to those promises/guidelines. A DOOM remake could be huge if done right, bringing FPS back to it's speedfreak roots. Still Enjoyed Doom 3, but it wasn't the same.

Stoked for this!

• Like 1

2lzNHds.png

Curious. The Wolfenstein series did an amazing job with The New Order and The Old Blood. It wasn't 100% like the 'old' game but heck, they knew how to bring the old flavour with some new 'current age' twists which worked perfectly in my opinion.

I hope this Doom 'reboot' will be the same.

They better have a kick ass cover of this tune tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf47DQj_2Gg

• Like 3

76561197979800917.png

ClaudeSpeed1911

Oh sh*t, sorry about that.

Do you want to revive the old one?

I expect it to be more gorier and more brutal than Brutal Doom.

TBH Im more hyped for Brutal Doom v20 coming this June 5th than in this reboot.

That's because you know what to expect with Brutal Doom. This will be completely different, and while I don't want to try and convince you, I think this will be worth the wait.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Power Colt

I just hope they introduce more of something new and fun instead of just riding on it being like the classic games.

Old-school Doomer here. Must say I was pleasantly surprised by this. Brutal Doom isn't to my taste (not really a gameplay mod fan when it comes to Doom, more of a mapset fan), but this looks like id may have finally got their act together and delivered something akin to what made Doom so great in the first place. Fact is, they are not the innovators they once were, so it's great to see them getting back to what they are good at - fast-paced, visceral mayhem. This is about as far from CoD as it is possible for a modern shooter to be. I for one am stoked.

Oh, and @ClaudeSpeed1911:

• Like 1

Will there be a story? I loved the story in Doom 3. Don't get me wrong the fast paced action in the original games were awesome when I was young, but I reckon I'd grow bored quick with the usual team deathmatch multiplayer. I'm glad they've allowed us to create our own games however.

Richard Power Colt

Will there be a story? I loved the story in Doom 3. Don't get me wrong the fast paced action in the original games were awesome when I was young, but I reckon I'd grow bored quick with the usual team deathmatch multiplayer. I'm glad they've allowed us to create our own games however.

If there is, I hope it's something stupid that doesn't take itself seriously. Then again Wolfenstein: The New Order actually managed to blend serious characters and themes with all the ridiculous action and events that take place during the story. I guess it was kind of comic booky in a way. Not sure if they could pull that off with Doom.

Edited by GTAandStuff

ClaudeSpeed1911

Oh, and @ClaudeSpeed1911:

The mods story was more interesting than the COD games, hope he makes another one so that we know "what these damn russians are doing".

After rewatching the Doom 4 gameplay numerous times I honestly think this game is more of a dishonor to the series (not as bad as Doom 3, though).

1. I have to bring up the pacing. Doom is known for it's intense and fast gameplay but the gameplay showed the game running a slow pace. Not as bad as Doom 3 do mind you, but slow enough to where this feels like Halo rather than Doom.
  2. The Shotgun and Super Shotgun seem to function identically. The Shotgun used to be precise and a slow-firing rifle type weapon rather than acting as a conventional video game shotgun as we know it today. The Super Shotgun was a close-quarters boomstick with a very messy spread but higher overall damage. Here, however, both weapons seem to fill the same exact purpose and there seems to be minimal difference between the two.
  3. Where the hell is the gore? Yeah, we have some gibs and dismemberment but that isn't truly shocking. The best way for Doom to get back in the spotlight is to have insane amounts of brutality. Mortal Kombat gained it's spot in gaming due to the increasingly brutal fatalities. And wasn't gore supposed to be a highlight of Doom 4's reveal? I remember that being advertised a good amount. So where is it?
  4. The Plasma Gun seems to be a reskinned Heavy Assault Rifle with just higher damage. Make it into something unique instead of a copy-paste job. Make it like the Plasma Gun from Quake 3 or allow us to stun enemies upon numerous hits. Those are suggestions.
  5. The atmosphere is nothing like the classic Doom. where are all the vivid colors and memorable room designs that made the original game so immersive? This just looks very generic, with overall dark and unsaturated color and repetitive architecture. Why try to look realistic in a game that isn't meant to be realistic?

Come on Bethesda. Don't sh*t on us again.

EDIT: Also notice how the shotgun is a canned animation weapon and not a moving weapon. Notice how there was no fast running. It's basically trying really hard to be Brutal doom with a few mutations.

Edited by theNGclan

Richard Power Colt

After rewatching the Doom 4 gameplay numerous times I honestly think this game is more of a dishonor to the series (not as bad as Doom 3, though).

1. I have to bring up the pacing. Doom is known for it's intense and fast gameplay but the gameplay showed the game running a slow pace. Not as bad as Doom 3 do mind you, but slow enough to where this feels like Halo rather than Doom.
  2. The Shotgun and Super Shotgun seem to function identically. The Shotgun used to be precise and a slow-firing rifle type weapon rather than acting as a conventional video game shotgun as we know it today. The Super Shotgun was a close-quarters boomstick with a very messy spread but higher overall damage. Here, however, both weapons seem to fill the same exact purpose and there seems to be minimal difference between the two.
  3. Where the hell is the gore? Yeah, we have some gibs and dismemberment but that isn't truly shocking. The best way for Doom to get back in the spotlight is to have insane amounts of brutality. Mortal Kombat gained it's spot in gaming due to the increasingly brutal fatalities. And wasn't gore supposed to be a highlight of Doom 4's reveal? I remember that being advertised a good amount. So where is it?
  4. The Plasma Gun seems to be a reskinned Heavy Assault Rifle with just higher damage. Make it into something unique instead of a copy-paste job. Make it like the Plasma Gun from Quake 3 or allow us to stun enemies upon numerous hits. Those are suggestions.
  5. The atmosphere is nothing like the classic Doom. where are all the vivid colors and memorable room designs that made the original game so immersive? This just looks very generic, with overall dark and unsaturated color and repetitive architecture. Why try to look realistic in a game that isn't meant to be realistic?

Come on Bethesda. Don't sh*t on us again.

EDIT: Also notice how the shotgun is a canned animation weapon and not a moving weapon. Notice how there was no fast running. It's basically trying really hard to be Brutal doom with a few mutations.

You mean the chainsaw was a canned animation weapon? Because that's what I hated.

a20characterusername

As a fan of DOOM since day one, I'm pretty hyped. Not as much as I am for Fallout 4, but looking forward to playing this nonetheless.

-People keep bringing up the slow pacing. It's a game trailer, of course they're going to want to show off the environments and enemies and such rather than running around at blazing speed. That said, I hope to see a few more enemies on screen at once...Doom 3's "survival horror' vibe wasn't really doing it for me.

-Speaking of environments-- the "real is brown" filter. Not a huge fan of it BUT I don't want a return to the old games' various shades of reds, blues and greens. Back then, you HAD to make games look like that, just so players could differentiate between stuff. Sure, I'd love to see Hell return with its classic blood red sky, green marble walls and depressingly gray mountainscapes, but the game doesn't need to look like an acid trip.

-The enemies...meh? A lot of them look similar, or just slightly modded versions of D3's monsters. Not very 'demonic' looking, either. Where are the horns and tails and ball lightning?! And don't even get me started on that f*cking Cyberdemon redesign...hopefully the classic one is in the game in some form.

-Also, dubstub/electronic music?! I'll take metal anyday.

-They very clearly took cues from Brutal Doom...I'm mostly liking it but I feel the novelty of 'finishers' is going to wear thin pretty fast.

Edited by a20characterusername
  • Like 2

It does look nice and I'll surely check it out, but it doesn't resemble Doom for me:

1) The dude talks about moving really really fast but the majority of the video the character walks like a snail

2) Animations for climbing, opening doors, fatalities - maybe I'm too old-school, but pre-baked animations like this take me out of the immersion in FPS. When I shoot a monster in the face with a shotgun, it's me doing it. If I double-jump to reach something, it's me doing it. When I see some hands in metal gloves doing some premade action, I know it's not me, it's the actor/character.

3) Same goes for the chainsaw. When I have 20 monsters to battle, I don't want to waste time cutting each one to half. I want to jam the chainsaw in the monster's chest and move on as soon as it's dead. That said, if you can control the chainsaw's angle like in Revengeance, I take this back.

4) It's crazy dark. This worked great for Doom 3 but is almost an anti-thesis to the originals. Sure maybe it's just this level but then why show particularly this one?

I know this was just a short video, but I hope they showed us the worst part of the game.

Also, I'll never comprehend why these companies have the need to call the latest instalment the same name as the original. It's just disgusting, especially with something so special like Doom. This game sits on pretty much every list of the most important games, the name should be forever sacred.

BTW no, it's not nostalgia speaking. First time I played the originals was around 2003 and they felt great. I played them again last year with Brutal Doom (with all the fluff like executions disabled) and they still feel great. There's absolutely no need to forget the classics and 'move on'.

Besides, how are the inevitable remake mods gonna be called? "Doom in Doom"? Ridiculous.