3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA graphics card advice

JustSomeBunny

JustSomeBunny

Hello. I am exploring getting a high-end gaming PC, and don't know what graphics card to get. Here are all the options listed on Origin. My budget for the computer is 10K and I think that translates to roughly 1.5K for the graphics card. My initial instinct was to get the Single 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z. However, I also could get Dual 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980. Which one would be better for GTA? What are the pros and cons? 12 sounds better than 2 x 4 but the later configuration is slightly more expensive, so I assume that means it's better. If anyone could help please chime in. I am open to other options but given my budget those two looked like the top contenders. Thank you.

Single Graphics Card

Single 2GB NVIDIA GTX 960 [-($1,013)] Single 2GB AMD Radeon R9 285 [-($963)] Single 4GB NVIDIA GTX 970 [-($870)] Single 8GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [-($715)] Single 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [-($604)] Single 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [-($77)] Single 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z

Dual Graphics Card

Dual 2GB NVIDIA GTX 960 [-($765)] Dual 2GB AMD Radeon R9 285 [-($666)] Dual 4GB* NVIDIA GTX 970 [-($480)] Dual 8GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [-($170)] Dual 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$53] Dual 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$1,107] Dual 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z [+$1,261]

Triple Graphics Card

Triple 4GB* NVIDIA GTX 970 [-($89)] Triple 8GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [+$376] Triple 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$711] ORIGIN Recommended Triple 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$2,292]

Quad Graphics Card

Quad 8GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [+$921] Quad 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$1,368] Quad 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$3,476]

Cryogenic Liquid Cooled Graphics Card

Single ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [-($455)] Single ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [-($356)] Single ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 8GB AMD Radeon R9 295X2 [+$227] Single ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$134] Single ORIGIN CRYOGENIC EVGA Hydro Copper Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z [+$496] Dual ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [+$314] Dual ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$500] Dual ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 8GB AMD Radeon R9 295X2 [+$1,678] Dual ORIGIN CRYOGENIC EVGA Hydro Copper Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan Z [+$1,509] Dual ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$1,529] Triple ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [+$1,088] Triple ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$1,207] Triple ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$2,924] Quad ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB AMD Radeon R9 290X [+$1,864] Quad ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980 [+$2,062] Quad ORIGIN CRYOGENIC Liquid Cooled 12GB NVIDIA GTX Titan X [+$4,319]

Just one thing to point out that Titan Z is a single card with dual GPU, which will force you to run a pseudo SLi config even while using a single card slot.

This game seems to be pretty well optimized for SLi config, but you will not have very good experience in many of the games, and SLi config introduces micro stutter that is noticeable by some players and drives them crazy.

I would suggest you to avoid dual GPU cards, unless you know what you are getting into.

Single GPU Single card setup will get you the least amount of headache and save you money.

Only go for multi card / multi GPU solution, if you absolutely have to for whatever reason.

JustSomeBunny

Just one thing to point out that Titan Z is a single card with dual GPU, which will force you to run a pseudo SLi config even while using a single card slot.

This game seems to be pretty well optimized for SLi config, but you will not have very good experience in many of the games, and SLi config introduces micro stutter that is noticeable by some players and drives them crazy.

I would suggest you to avoid dual GPU cards, unless you know what you are getting into.

Single GPU Single card setup will get you the least amount of headache and save you money.

Only go for multi card / multi GPU solution, if you absolutely have to for whatever reason.

Cool, is there one on the list you would recommend for me then? Thanks.

Kaito Katsumi

10k. Max out every part then haha. I-7 extreme, 24gb ram, 3 GTX titans SLI, and the rest, on other parts. 500 dollars tip for my advice :p

JustSomeBunny

10k. Max out every part then haha. I-7 extreme, 24gb ram, 3 GTX titans SLI, and the rest, on other parts. 500 dollars tip for my advice :p

I'm waiting for Windows 10 before making the purchase. It's actually pretty easy to reach 10K on Origin without even buying the most expensive stuff. Also, they offer up to quad graphics cards but the customize thingee won't let me add more than 2, citing a lack of space.

JustSomeBunny

Wow, you have a nice choice there.

Here is a seemingly useful website that compares performance using different graphics cards. Looks like the 2 x 980 is the winner for 4k displays.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards

Edited by KatyPerry

I also agree a single gpu is the best option. Today it's an easy choice, Titan X. But if your not actually ordering yet, you should check the performance of the r390x when it launches.

Also the extreme edition Intel will rarely give you much benefit over the highest mainstream i7 when it comes to gaming, some titles are an exception. If it is a gaming only machine, skylake in a few months will be a great choice.

For what is worth, you are grossly over paying on sites like that. You can build a very nice rig for 2.5k, you could literally throw it in the bin next year and build another brand new very nice rig, rinse and repeat til 2018, 2021 if you could be bothered selling your old one each time. I know how I'd put the 10k budget to use :p actually that isn't far off what I do!

JustSomeBunny

I also agree a single gpu is the best option. Today it's an easy choice, Titan X. But if your not actually ordering yet, you should check the performance of the r390x when it launches.

Also the extreme edition Intel will rarely give you much benefit over the highest mainstream i7 when it comes to gaming, some titles are an exception. If it is a gaming only machine, skylake in a few months will be a great choice.

For what is worth, you are grossly over paying on sites like that. You can build a very nice rig for 2.5k, you could literally throw it in the bin next year and build another brand new very nice rig, rinse and repeat til 2018, 2021 if you could be bothered selling your old one each time. I know how I'd put the 10k budget to use :p actually that isn't far off what I do!

You're right man I need to wait for Skylake; looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

PCMasterRace46

Whatever you do, don't waste that set up on anything less than the biggest 4k monitor out there. Not a TV but a Monitor. Stay away from those 28 inch TN displays. Get IPS.

If you really wanna spend money on a gaming rig, get a seriously nice display! Your eyeballs will be staring at it long after your mega rig is gone or gathering dust ;)

GrandTeaRedemption

Are you a troll katy perry? Thats like saying i have 100,000$ which car should i buy????

Also the extreme edition Intel will rarely give you much benefit over the highest mainstream i7 when it comes to gaming, some titles are an exception.

In fact, they don't give you a massive advantage over the significantly cheaper Core i5 series, either. It's worth to note that they are all superior to pretty much any AMD processor currently available.

If you have the funds, then you should definitely go with an i7 [4790k] at this point. Keep in mind that Intel's Broadwell and Skylake will be released in a few months' time, so that is worth to consider as well.

As for the actual topic at hand, I would like to point out that it doesn't make much sense to have a pair of mid-end cards in your PC. Sure, if you go with say two 960s then you will get a better performance than with say one 970, provided that you don't consume more than 2GB of video RAM in your games. Realistically, you will want to crank up your settings as much as you can, while maitaining a [subjectively] playable frame rate. Considering that V consumes roughly 3GB VRAM at a mix of high and very high settings and even more than that if you aim for maxed out settings, the 960 SLI setup would be a bad choice. In this instance, the 970 is definitely far superior. Not that there was any doubt to begin with. :p

If you are aware of the problems of SLI and CrossFire, like the high power consumption, the heat as a result of having two powerful cards in your setup, micro-stuttering in a number of games, the lack of support for multi-GPU in some games, and you don't mind any of that, then that may be an interesting alternative for you. The best SLI configurations would be either 2xGTX970 or 2xGTX980.

The most powerful single-GPU card is the Titan X. It isn't quite as powerful as a pair of 980s but it doesn't suffer from the issues that SLI/CF setups do so I would consider it, if I were you. Which of the aforementioned is the best solution for you depends on how much money you are willing to burn and what results you expect. Perhaps take a look at some benchmarks of recent titles and the VRAM consumption. That will help you a great deal.

Kaito Katsumi

Are you a troll katy perry? Thats like saying i have 100,000$ which car should i buy????

in my country, a cheap scrap metal First Hand Kia is more than 100k, plus there is this exclusive thing to us called COE that we have to pay for that could easily go up to 50k. GG singapore most exoensive city in the world. BTW that 100k could buy me 5 mini coopers in america, man things in USA are sold much cheaper.

What about GTX 980 Ti 6 GB VRAM ??

Will I see a nice performance boost if I get it? (I currently have GTX 970, i5 4690k)

SuperSaiyanHazza

What about GTX 980 Ti 6 GB VRAM ??

Will I see a nice performance boost if I get it? (I currently have GTX 970, i5 4690k)

r9 390x will be stronger

Spending that much money on a PC is a terrible, terrible idea. That's all I have to say in this topic.

Scalesdini

Why would you get a Titan Z instead of a Titan X when it would appear the X is cheaper and is by far a more capable card? Also, waiting for Skylake over the i7 extremes... Why? Even the 5820k will handily beat the best Skylake offering.

As for the pricetag of Origin PC's... Well, you could build the same thing for 1/3 the cost yourself. Then you have to remember that builders like that get a discount for buying lots of parts. So they a charging you a sh*tload of money to slap together something they build a dozen of on any given day. I build custom PC's as a job and I find what they charge for labor to be absolutely ridiculous.

Crimson Flam3s

Why not wait a month for the amd R9 390x? The leaked benchmarks suggests it's a bit more capable than the titan x and it will probably be cheaper as well.

I assume that praised 390x will be hot as hell (over 80C) ? and my PC case doesnt have very good airflow (I have like 72C with my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1-coolest gpu).

So basically I need to choose between gtx 980 ti and amd 390x

Why would you get a Titan Z instead of a Titan X when it would appear the X is cheaper and is by far a more capable card? Also, waiting for Skylake over the i7 extremes... Why? Even the 5820k will handily beat the best Skylake offering.

Taking the OP at face value, they are using the reasonable logic that spend more = get more. Obviously its not true in this case.

As for the 5820, it sure is a better buy than an EE. If you did purchase one already, you are still sitting pretty pretty =) But, the bang-for-buck part of my brain (even when spending some more for an upper end machine) keeps niggling at me. The extra expense of buying into that platform, pricer DDR4, and hungrier chips - for what? As far as gaming is concerned, its tit for tat between that and a devils canyon. I dont think skylake is going to dramtically alter the landscape, but its a newer, tidier, slightly cheaper package. It probably will win more than it loses to a 5820 too.

@OP - A nice chair, awesome sound system... basically anything thats not gonna have to be chucked in a few years, is a better place to spend big on. At least thats my way of justifying purchases.

Edited by swirler

JustSomeBunny

Well part of my rationale is that I don't know how to build a computer, and I don't want to spend a lot of money and buy stuff I can't assemble or isn't compatible with the other parts I select. Also, for the money, I'd like to have a warranty in case anything does go wrong. If there is a better way to purchase a high-end computer I'm open to it. Also, I said I could only spend up to 1.5K on graphics. I like the latest and greatest so I think I'll wait for Skylake (I read it's a tock update whatever that means) as well as Windows 10.

There are trade offs. I am not rich but I do have a job and I save money on rent by staying with family right now. It's actually great for me, let's me get more fun toys to play with.

Oh yea I still don't know which graphics card to get.

Edited by KatyPerry

I appreciate getting it all done professionally for you and having the aftercare is nice. Self building isnt for everyone. So long as you are buying it with your eyes open, ie the big price tag attached to that machine probably has a grand and a half premium which isnt getting you any performance, its for the sake of getting a branded machine.

I would encourage you to look into self building all the same, it comes with its own perks too. You get to hand pick the parts (dont worry about compatibility, there will be many here or any forum with even a vague tech association you post on that can ensure everything is compatible), you save a good sum of money, and there is a nice feeling when you put it all together :) Its pretty much expensive lego honestly. Look up some vids now on people assembling a machine!

As far as still being confused over GPU, let me trim that horrible wall of text from your OP. Actually more than trim, the GPU you should buy isnt even listed there :p

980ti or r390x (or whatever AMD call their flagship gpu with HBM) check the reviews, pick whatever you fancy. Easy. And with your new found building skills, giving your machine a mid-life boost will be a breeze! Just buy a shiny new nm shrink gpu next year, pop out your old GPU and in with the new (Im being biased again, as thats exactly what I'll be doing).

Edited by swirler

Isn't there any service or to pay someone to assemble all the parts you buy yourself. Here I found one charging 10 for all while others ask 10 bucks per part so let's say you have to pay 100 in us for all. Doctor is working for 100 per whole day in west countries so it will be more than enough.

Don't get an AMD / ATi, unless you want every popular game to run like crap. Don't know if AMD / ATi are really that bad or if Nvidia is paying off developers to make it seem that way, but it only takes a looksie to see that most people having graphics related issues with popular AAA titles have AMD / ATi cards.

Uncle Sikee Atric

Don't get an AMD / ATi, unless you want every popular game to run like crap. Don't know if AMD / ATi are really that bad or if Nvidia is paying off developers to make it seem that way, but it only takes a looksie to see that most people having graphics related issues with popular AAA titles have AMD / ATi cards.

And another one bites the crap!

There are few differences between the GPU manufacterers, the only differences seem to be the fact that the AMD cards use slightly more juice and run slightly hotter, a water cooled system negates those problems and your budget would be aimed at water cooling.

nVidia versus AMD is a matter of personal choice! I personally have an AMD GPU and have no issues at all, but nVidia users have just as many problems when you start digging deeper. AMD used to have bigger problems and those seemed to have tarnished the opinions of many veteran gamers (I only recently converted to AMD with a 6570 in my last gaming rig.) but the best option is to keep an open mind and pick a setup that fixes to your budget and needs.

The drivers are equalised for both platforms within a week or so of each other, so if one title is struggling a little on one GPU chip set, the problems tend to be ironed out quite quickly.

Honestly, right now, for your budget, wait on the launch of the R9 300's. The price ranges will compress and you will get a better deal whichever side you choose. The benchmarks we have seen so far are appealing as well, the competition will surely heat up if they are as good as they look.

MOaRJRr.jpg

this is the game tested with a GTX 970 and i5 4690k...

looks beautiful at very high, MFAA enabled!