2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

The Philosophy of the Creator

PhoGarrett

PhoGarrett

The content creator hasn't had it's fair share of worthwhile discussions so I figured asking about people's philosophies of the creator would arise some nice reads and contributions that we really haven't seen here for a while. Any opinions are allowed as long as they aren't directed to someone.

Let's narrow it down to three basic categories: Capture, Deathmatch, and Races. You aren't pressured to do all three but it's encouraged.

I'll start:

Capture: Any decent capture should have three major components. Those are set pieces, gameplay, and an idea on what your map is.

Your capture should be set in an otherwise un-used part of the map (i.e. Places where R* has already made creations) so that it has a level of authentication to it. There are some stellar locations I've found around the sprawling state of Los Santos that could surely use some more love. A different area is always the best area in my book.

Gameplay is also one of the deciding factors on why players will come back to your job. If one team has even the slightest advatage over the other team it could ruin a capture for everyone. Whether it be an asymetrical or symetrical capture, balance is key. If one team has to chase another team, make sure to give the chasers big, strong vehicles to be able to take out the other team in one hit but also make sure the runners have a small and fast (but not too fast) vehicle to be able to outsmart the chasers by using teamwork or trickery.

Having an idea on what you want to make your capture is a great headstart to making a fantastic job. I've seen too many and countless times people tried to incorporate several elements into one capture but it never fell together neatly. Try to figure out which elements work together and work with them, mold them to your advantage to make the best capture you can within the boundries of the creator. Adding ramps, explosions, and high-powered weapons to a very open-sized capture is a great way to make a high octane job, but wouldn't suit well for a low-key and condensed capture set to 8 players.

Edited by dillono
  • Like 1

sleepwalk1980

The captures I make (only one published so far though - everything else is a work in progress) are all set up as proper missions. Rather than there's the package; go get it.

I make a little story in the description and try to give the objective text some meat. My published job involves a delivering food drops to a rare eagles nest high up in Mt. Chiliad - http://tinyurl.com/q3xy6nj
Of course it is a standard capture set up but how you pitch it and place things makes it real and more fun; like trying to fly a chopper into a crevasse to get to a hard to see capture point while shooting down a rival copter whose capture point is next to yours...

I run a 360 so I am limited regarding amount of text / props / actors etc I can place. But sometimes this is better as it forces you to be more creative given a limited palette.

I also like to make captures with two or three distinct parts so it feels like a mission and not just a run & grab, like mixing game genres. It is challenging but fun - I have a capture I am making now that starts both teams off in an area with no weapons. You are instructed to travel to another area to pick up some weapons (race). Once at area two, the teams find a load of weapons and lots of props (deathmatch) and then they go on to hunt down the packages (capture).

For pure gameplay enjoyability and repeat plays, the capture has the most potential in my view.

One of the trickiest parts is, as you say, finding an untapped location. I have a phenomenal location that I have an LTS based at that I don't think has ever been used yet but I'm keeping that under wraps until I can iron out the kinks...

Edited by sleepwalk1980

giraffeboy

I kinda disagree with the location part. Sure, an original location is better than just sticking it at the airfield, but I won't automatically disregard a location because R* already have a job there. If a location fits my concept then I'll use it regardless. I will have a look at their job first though to make sure I'm not just copying them. That's the great thing about captures, you could make 5 of them all in the exact same location, and all of them could be vastly different. Just a shame that nobody has any interest in playing them, I've got quite a few that I've built and you can count the plays on them on one hand.

sleepwalk1980

I kinda disagree with the location part. Sure, an original location is better than just sticking it at the airfield, but I won't automatically disregard a location because R* already have a job there. If a location fits my concept then I'll use it regardless. I will have a look at their job first though to make sure I'm not just copying them. That's the great thing about captures, you could make 5 of them all in the exact same location, and all of them could be vastly different. Just a shame that nobody has any interest in playing them, I've got quite a few that I've built and you can count the plays on them on one hand.

Are you Xbox 360? I love playing Captures! Send me links...

giraffeboy

Well I'm on XOne now, and I don't really want to derail this thread, but since you asked here's a few of my old 360 captures I haven't updated yet if you're interested...

V for Vangelico

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/wm-zofHK1kaQxkT0hSQ9pg

Eyes Only

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/ZPXzNyvl-0u79GvQkKf5zQ

Shooting BASE

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/nCnvCovhxU667FW8lrFGEg

Spy Games

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/ZsYstzjlcEu7Zi-fpoozDQ

The Freighter Score

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/UK2ABHcVB0W98mVgKishoA

Wetball

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/HvIGr-9SOU2f3KNaBqAkpw

Omerta Justice

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/jobs/job/zgtjJz-eTkC5meNygUirEQ

Lol after looking through those jobs I've realised I don't take nearly as much effort in my descriptions as I used to. Before I wanted to nail the R* vibe if you like, make it look like they wrote it, now I'll just throw a quick outline of the job down and that's it.

Edited by giraffeboy

sleepwalk1980

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I do like to put in a proper description, I think it adds to the mission your playing if you have a story to go with it.