2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

GTA Online Etiquette

AngryYankee

AngryYankee

Being new to the game, I was wondering what some first time player etiquette would be. When I am free roaming around the area I tend to leave other players alone unless they have a bounty on them or some guy in a heli is killing a lot of players and I try to take them out.
However, my "kindness", doesn't really transfer over to other players as I have become a victim of drive by's, squashings, and explosions. I understand that is part of the game, and I have no problem with that.

But I do want to know what unwritten rules float around? I know you shouldn't take someone else's car, but other than that, what else should a newer player understand and abide by?

There really are no unwritten rules in public lobbies, people do whatever they want.

Of course other players, at least the older ones, will think you're an asshole if you go around randomly killing everyone. Nobody likes kids who go around shooting everyone and typing "lol umad XDD" in chat. It's arrogant and just looks stupid. Ramming others in races is pretty dickish too. BUT the sad reality is that those kids greatly outnumber us who like to play the game sort of peacefully and cooperatively.

Just try to be friendly and respect other players and you might make friends. My suggestion is find a friendly crew and play with people you know for the best possible experience.

Just remember that blowing up personal vehicles or quitting jobs earns you bad sports points and eventually puts you in bad sports lobby. Just something to keep in mind. Killing other players is not punishable but might earn you a bounty from them (or just an endless murderous hunt).

tranceking26

If you are looking for etiquette in GTA Online, then good luck finding it.

Just go around killing everyone. That's the best approach.

• Like 3

Etiquette exists between friends. Other than that, good luck. Buy a armored kuruma

• Like 1

ProfessionalN00b

I think Rickzu nailed it on the head. You'll find lots of players who will go out of their way just to drive by in their chrome armored Kuruma and gun you down for no reason.

More respectful players (usually us older ones) tend to ignore one another in free roam unless it's to do something funny without infringing on whatever the other player is trying to do (such as launching your own car over the top of theirs via a ramp while blaring your Rise of the Valkyries horn and vanishing into the sunset). Though if someone is being a particular pain in the butt feel free to take them down a notch. Sniping people out of their beloved helicopters that they've been trolling new players with is rather satisfying. Especially when the chopper is loaded up with three of the troll's friends as a bonus.

Though races are a big gripe of mine as most people play bumper cars instead of actually racing. Keep in mind that hitting someone else not only messes them up but also makes you fall behind 9 times out of 10 (unless you can actually drive, which most can't). The only reason to bump someone else on purpose is to be a jerk. If I lose a race because someone takes a turn better than me and uses my slipstream to blow past me on the last lap, then so be it. But if they "win" by ramming me off the road and causing both of us to crash while everyone else passes us by, then it's just annoying.

Long post short: Just don't be a jerk. Follow the same rules you would anywhere else when it comes to interacting with other players.

Edited by ProfessionalN00b
  • Like 3

DeathBySybian

Invite people to your apartment, then kick them all out and kill them all

People seems to treat free roam like a massive PVP map, I hate that so much that I end up free roaming in invite only sessions because of that, its really bad because I drive alone, but at same time, I avoid the wanna be gangsta riding in their armored kuruma that loves to kills you over and over and over again, and you can't touch them in that car, its 99,9% bulletproof, if you attach a bomb, you pay for it and you risk getting bad sport status.

I found a great crew but unless there's a way to regroup everyone in a crew only session, its not very funny.

NomadRider

Too many people expect others to be nice in this game. If you wanna play nice go play The latest Sims version. GTA is going to be too rough for you.

• Like 4

Too many people expect others to be nice in this game. If you wanna play nice go play The latest Sims version. GTA is going to be too rough for you.

Too many people have this idea too for no reason other than "It's GTA, you're supposed to be a dick to everyone!". Who said that? No one.

GTAO is much more fun when you are playing with others and not against them. Escaping cops and doing other GTA-ish things included. Only antisocial 12-year-olds with stupid names like xXKiller420Xx think it's awesome when everyone hates you in-game.

Edited by Rickzu

Yup, too many 12 yrs old and even 10 yrs old think that the only goal of this game in Online is to kill all the other players on the map, I would do only crew sessions if the system worked correctly, but I'm going to bet Rockstar made it this way so players are forced to go into public servers if they want to see more than 2-3 people at the same time, really sucks, can't wait till a third party server mod will be working, tried FiveM but its not letting me stay for more than a few seconds before CTD, guess its the way Experimental builds are supposed to work, they have a kuddos for getting a release so early, but its not ready for now.

there is only one rule (etiquette) on GTA online (free roam): the (artificial and unfair) "Fairplay system".
In fact, this fairplay system is totally unfair and unfairplay (it's just fair for people buying a lot of shark cards, to buy and customize cars... and then, they come in Free roam, kill everybody, hidden in their armored car... If a player have the good idea to blow up this car by revenge, he will be warned as "unfairplay player" for blow up a player's car).
Finally (and unfortunately, in my opinion), there are only one way/rule on GTA Online: Fairplay system is good for annoying people (cowards with great armored stuffs useful in missions and some activites but totally "unfairplay" (and illogic) in free roam, who like kill people, specially lower levels when they spawn.. All this, hidden in their own armored car), and/or shark cards buyers. If you are not this kind of people, then Shoot the first (or passive mode lol).

Edited by Thalyn

MajorVienna

99% of bounties are placed by NPCs after players steal their car. What a lot of people don't realize is that that player's bounty is not for you, it's for them. cash. in their pocket. when the bounty expires. ty.

I don't fire unless fired upon, or it's clear that someone isn't going to keep their hands to them self. Most people on PC are ranked about 40 and should know better than to attack someone who has absolute power.

• Like 2

Being new to the game, I was wondering what some first time player etiquette would be. When I am free roaming around the area I tend to leave other players alone unless they have a bounty on them or some guy in a heli is killing a lot of players and I try to take them out.

However, my "kindness", doesn't really transfer over to other players as I have become a victim of drive by's, squashings, and explosions. I understand that is part of the game, and I have no problem with that.

But I do want to know what unwritten rules float around? I know you shouldn't take someone else's car, but other than that, what else should a newer player understand and abide by?

To begin with you have morals and standards and principles.... after a while you will kill, mame, steal, blow up personal vehicles, knock people out of races and generally be an arse like everyone else in the game.

The entire GTAO universe is filled to the brim with arse holes!

• Like 1

Uncle Sikee Atric

Etiquette? I would love to think there is, but it seems to be 'kill or be killed', especially in public lobbies.

Personally I do not have an Armoured Kuruma, Insurgent or a Supercar as I think they are for the Squeaker 'kill it if it moves' crowd and I try not to get involved with those turds! It is a shame the PC version launched after their introduction since they made the early days a 'happy hunting ground' for high levels switching over to PC. Now the lower levels are collecting them as well the gap is narrowing.

In truth I tend to avoid contact with anyone who wants to kill by avoiding Los Santos as I am based in Paleto! I do have a high level apartment for Heist planning, but it is not home.... I will not shoot unless shot at and nearly every time that happens it is one of those vehicles listed above.

Just be sensible, that is my advice. Public lobbies can be fine, just be smart about how you handle them. The most comedy can be had in them as well. I have managed to lure several idiots into dumping their noob-mobiles into the drink by just using smart luring tricks and then gunning them down as they try to swim for safety, so plan ahead and have an escape route handy if you suspect they are coming calling. Besides, most of the idiots are totally inexperienced with the map beyond the city borders, a player who knows the county map as well as the city will nearly always get away, traps are everywhere if you know where to look....

Edited by Sikee Atric
  • Like 2

MOaRJRr.jpg

I cant stand randoms just trying to run u over i have no money anyways to steal haha :D i use passive most of the time and follow players to scare them im gonna disable passive mode thats more funny lol..

Just remember to activate passive mode before you do heists or missions with people because they will kill you when it's done.

If you see an armoured Kuruma, drive in the opposite direction leaving a trail of sticky bombs or proxmines in your wake. Works for me, and I haven't been BS'd yet (touch wood), probably because I only do it when absolutely necessary.

Edited by scalliano

My trust has been betrayed so many times I have become that ass that just kills. I would like to be able to pull up to a guy and be like, hey wana go do stuff. But no. I fear contact with any other player. Actually I tend to avoid going within a block or two of anyone else. Every time I get killed for no reason. Even in my noob-mobile.

I actively avoid other players in freeroam because most will kill you out of similar fear or just to troll.

• Like 1

People seems to treat free roam like a massive PVP map, I hate that so much that I end up free roaming in invite only sessions because of that, its really bad because I drive alone, but at same time, I avoid the wanna be gangsta riding in their armored kuruma that loves to kills you over and over and over again, and you can't touch them in that car, its 99,9% bulletproof, if you attach a bomb, you pay for it and you risk getting bad sport status.

Yup, too many 12 yrs old and even 10 yrs old think that the only goal of this game in Online is to kill all the other players on the map, I would do only crew sessions if the system worked correctly, but I'm going to bet Rockstar made it this way so players are forced to go into public servers if they want to see more than 2-3 people at the same time, really sucks, can't wait till a third party server mod will be working, tried FiveM but its not letting me stay for more than a few seconds before CTD, guess its the way Experimental builds are supposed to work, they have a kuddos for getting a release so early, but its not ready for now.

You people need to realise that just because you don't kill people it doesn't make you more mature or right, it is a violent game and people play it however they want, if we weren't meant to kill each other in free mode we wouldn't be able to, so deal with it or go to an invite only.

• Like 2

When I started playing online I was as friendly as I could be. I wanted to be part of a big community of players.

After months of people constantly attacking you for no reason whatsoever I am now one of the herd in that I kill almost anything that comes near me.

I don't prefer that style of play and think it makes the game as close to pointless as possible but people don't seem to go to San Andreas to have fun, team up, explose or have a laugh. It only seems like people want to spend their entire visit to SA killing other players.

In FR, you can do as you please. It might have consequences or it may not. My advice is find a crew, friend as many of them as you can and work outward from there. LS is a dirty, vile place and on your own is no place to be. But OP, if you really are trying to take the high road? There isn't one.

Edited by Dondara

NomadRider

GTA is what it is. If you don't like being killed they gave you lame assed passive mode. Otherwise if you come into my area I aint waiting to see if you kill me before I kill you. Passive mode or punk assed bitch mode players should be moved to Punk Assed Bitch only servers. Wanna play a no pvp go play a game without pvp like The Sims. Otherwise if you can't handle the reality of GTAO you might get butthurt and come here and make a topic whining about it.

_Pythonomorpha_

I love players who kill for no reason. They give me an excuse to spawnkill someone.

I actually like participating in freeroam PvP, but I'd never want to be the one to start it. So I'm always hunting for a legitimate excuse to kill someone (griefers, people blowing up my car, people spawnkilling someone, trashtalker calling everyone "bitch-ass niggas" on mic, etc.)

Freeroam PvP Etiquette:

-Never shoot someone shopping for clothes or guns.

-Never blow up someone coming out of LSC.

-Never abuse Passive Mode to get an unfair advantage in a fight (going into Passive Mode then exiting to kill someone, going into Passive Mode to avoid explosives, etc.)

-(Only applicable to last-gen) Never try to kill someone in Passive Mode.

That's it, anything else is fair game. Use anything other than the above to get a leg up in combat: Going off the radar, Merryweather mercenaries, muggers, bullshark testosterone (not that anyone really uses that), going up a vantage point to snipe, etc.

And finally, never be paranoid. Don't shoot first, but don't run away either. There's may be a chance that the white dot speeding towards you wants to kill you, but there's also a chance that he just wants to cruise with you. You can meet a lot of friends this way, or you can make a lot of enemies this way.

Edited by _Pythonomorpha_
  • Like 1

Furry_Monkey

Round em up, put em in a field and bomb the bastards.

(Kudos to anyone who knows that.)

Edited by Furry_Monkey

Don't expect others to be nice is rule number 1. I like to be good but I know people shoot on sight, and you shouldn't complain about it either. Be prepared for the worst in every situation; don't walk to someone to pick them up and not expect to be shot. This doesn't mean don't act nice, but if you're going to you need to be prepared for the "kos" people. And you can't really blame them either. They can either be paranoid AF and just shoot everyone they see, or they can simply have more fun that way. Don't complain if they are having fun by killing people, fight back. Give them a run for their money.

I don't fire on sight unless you're a friend and its a joke, its a bounty, or you're a red blip coming close to me. Yes, I know that the mental state resets daily, but that doesn't excuse that anyone with a red blip has been quite crazy in the last day.

I run a taxi service when I'm bored. This means I'll grab my Gang Burrito or Savage/Swift and just pick people up and drive them places. I get killed a lot but its a pretty fun way to pass time. I'll also give people Hearses if they want or allow them to have fun with my Insurgent Pickup or Technical.

Turkish Turketarian

You people need to realise that just because you don't kill people it doesn't make you more mature or right, it is a violent game and people play it however they want, if we weren't meant to kill each other in free mode we wouldn't be able to, so deal with it or go to an invite only.

This. "You don't play how I want you to? You must be 12!". If anything, the people complaining about how others play the game are more immature. You know like how when kids play with their toys and their friend starts playing a whole different game with them, then the kid snatches the toy "noo you're doing it wrong!!" :lol:

I never kill people I come across, just isn't how I like to play. If someone attacks me first I'll fight back though. But I'm never one to shoot others first. I don't feel I'm somehow a better/more mature person for it though. If someone has fun killing everyone on sight, then good for them. They're doing something right then... having fun.

• Like 3