3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Filmmakers Corner

HABU58

49KCKU4.jpg

I feel a lot of us are cluttering up The Editor Showcase thread with technical discussions and some of it might get lost in the midst of all the videos being posted. It seems there are a lot newbies and people with experience so here is a place where we can all get nerdy about it and create a resource for the technical/production side of filmmaking.

Tools of The Trade

Recording Software:

Fraps

Bandicam

Shadow Play (Free - Nvidia Cards)

Dxtory

Video Transcoding:

Handbrake (Free)

MPEG Streamclip (Free)

Audio Recording:

Audacity (Free)

Video Editing:

Sony Vegas

Adobe Premiere

Final Cut Pro

Davinci Resolve (Free)

Essential Filming Mods

Script Hook V + Trainer - http://gtaforums.com/topic/788343-vrel-script-hook-v/
Bodyguard Menu - http://gtaforums.com/topic/790498-vrel-bodyguard-menu/

Resources

YouTube Recommended upload encoding settings: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Editing Outside The Rockstar Editor - Coming Soon

Advanced Rockstar Editor Techniques - Coming Soon

Using Raw GTA V Audio Files - https://youtu.be/HZwota8W6hA

Edited by habuj58
  • Like 1

Good start but I suspect that this thread will get lost without a sticky...

FixingG00D

While I agree we need to discuss stuff away from the showreel topic, it might end up exactly like the "video editing" topic which is a bit non descript and doesn't seem very active.

When there is a lot of different discussion topics in one large thread, a lot of useful information gets buried a bit. I'd personally favour a sub forum for both video and photography, as a lot of the photo guys are using the editor to make amazing shots.

That way we could have pinned and dedicated discussion topics / tutorials - the technical stuff, the creative ideas stuff, mods that help for film stuff e.g lip sync mod, a best GTAV videos from the web topic, not just users here. I think there is potential in it imo. It worked for the modding side to have a sub.

From my other request thread:

I know i'm new here so I hope this isn't too cheeky but what are your views on having a "Video & Photography" sub forum on here? That way we could have pinned guides / tutorials relating to these, along with many topic discussions on the different aspects and techniques of working with videos / photos in GTA V.

The video editors have two topics now - a showreel and a general topic which is not very active. Its quite difficult to discuss specific and advanced topics like workflow / capturing tips without derailing both threads / going off topic. Its quite a huge part of the GTAV experience for many, in the same way that mods are, so it could be useful.

People could make specific question topics in here too. The topics in the main GTA V PC section relating to video editor and photography / snapmatic could be moved here, and its kept seperate from the gameplay / performance / online / story discussion topics.

Just an idea...

Please leave a comment in here or the other thread if you agree of disagree with this and hopefully the mods might take notice.

FixingG00D

...that said, cheers for starting this. We can use this for the time being.

Interested in "Raw GTA audio files" that you mention. Are you talking about OpenV and archives? I'm figuring out the best methods for recording foley / sound effects from the game as its not possible to slow anything down without audio repitching and other limitations.

I think making amazing videos with synced sound effects / foley is going to require doing the sound yourself outside of R* editor with stock sounds / access to GTA sound libraries. That is unless you only use normal speed (no slow motion) or just use music (lots of these music videos about).

Also if you are looking for a video editor and cannot afford one of the ones listed above, Have a look at Davinci Resolve. There is a free 'lite' version that lacks 3D and NR in the grading suite but none of that applies to GTA footage so you get a full blown application for free.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

While I agree we need to discuss stuff away from the showreel topic, it might end up exactly like the "video editing" topic which is a bit non descript and doesn't seem very active.

When there is a lot of different discussion topics in one large thread, a lot of useful information gets buried a bit. I'd personally favour a sub forum for both video and photography, as a lot of the photo guys are using the editor to make amazing shots.

That way we could have pinned and dedicated discussion topics / tutorials - the technical stuff, the creative ideas stuff, mods that help for film stuff e.g lip sync mod, a best GTAV videos from the web topic, not just users here. I think there is potential in it imo. It worked for the modding side to have a sub.

From my other request thread:

I know i'm new here so I hope this isn't too cheeky but what are your views on having a "Video & Photography" sub forum on here? That way we could have pinned guides / tutorials relating to these, along with many topic discussions on the different aspects and techniques of working with videos / photos in GTA V.

The video editors have two topics now - a showreel and a general topic which is not very active. Its quite difficult to discuss specific and advanced topics like workflow / capturing tips without derailing both threads / going off topic. Its quite a huge part of the GTAV experience for many, in the same way that mods are, so it could be useful.

People could make specific question topics in here too. The topics in the main GTA V PC section relating to video editor and photography / snapmatic could be moved here, and its kept seperate from the gameplay / performance / online / story discussion topics.

Just an idea...

Please leave a comment in here or the other thread if you agree of disagree with this and hopefully the mods might take notice.

I see the other thread as a place to critique and show off finished work. My idea for this thread is to provide a resource for people to learn new skills and get questions answered so they can make better videos. Its not just limited to filmmaking but its more involved medium so I feel it deserves a good resource.

Also if you are looking for a video editor and cannot afford one of the ones listed above, Have a look at Davinci Resolve. There is a free 'lite' version that lacks 3D and NR in the grading suite but none of that applies to GTA footage so you get a full blown application for free.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Ill add that to the list!

Edited by habuj58

TheFlareEntercounter

I've made a short video in the R* Editor, but when I export it and it plays back the game just locks up and the progress never goes further than 0%. Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Edited by TheFlareEntercounter

I've made a short video in the R* Editor, but when I export it and it plays back the game just locks up and the progress never goes further than 0%. Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Have you tried exporting it again after a reboot? I have had the export hang at 0% but a reboot fixed it.

TheFlareEntercounter

Have you tried exporting it again after a reboot? I have had the export hang at 0% but a reboot fixed it.

Yes, I did but it didn't fix the issue.

FixingG00D

I still hope for a sub with this topic pinned in it but It should work. Maybe certain discussion points / pages in the thread could be linked to the first original post - I guess you plan to as there is a list of topics. As an example, the last page of the showreel was discussing capture methods and frame conversion which is a whole topic in itself.

Otherwise people are likely to miss out on good information if there is a 50+ page topic that requires people to read from the start.

Interested in "Raw GTA audio files" that you mention. Are you talking about OpenV and archives? I'm figuring out the best methods for recording foley / sound effects from the game as its not possible to slow anything down without audio repitching and other limitations.

I think making amazing videos with synced sound effects / foley is going to require doing the sound yourself outside of R* editor with stock sounds / access to GTA sound libraries. That is unless you only use normal speed (no slow motion) or just use music (lots of these music videos about).

OpenIV doesn’t currently support it so I use LibertyV to do it. I’m writing up a guide right now and will post it soon. I think it’s a BIG missing link in the editor.

The best way in my opinion to go about doing foley is to cut together your video and go back and record each element separately so they are isolated and then bring them into the editor.

Does it lock up in the same spot every time? If so what is in the frame? Also how much memory do you have in your computer?

TheFlareEntercounter

Does it lock up in the same spot every time? If so what is in the frame? Also how much memory do you have in your computer?

Yes, right at the beginning (it doesn't even fade in completely). It is not to a specific video, I just tried another one and the same thing happened. I have 8GBs of RAM and 25GB allocated to R* Editor.

SuperSaiyanHazza

I know why :D

FixingG00D

OpenIV doesn’t currently support it so I use LibertyV to do it. I’m writing up a guide right now and will post it soon. I think it’s a BIG missing link in the editor.

The best way in my opinion to go about doing foley is to cut together your video and go back and record each element separately so they are isolated and then bring them into the editor.

Good idea. Yeh its a missing link for sure, along with triggering animations, objects, etc. All the stuff is in game but locked down. I'm glad mods / trainers are bridging all of this. I doubt director mode would be that useful soon, when much more can be done in the normal game with mods.

A guide would be mighty handy! I'm sure some of the humerous dialogs in the game (e.g. trevor is a hipster) could be used to great effect in videos. Sure you could chop between different conversation audio to change its context. Again, thats a whole other layer to film making in GTA V, along with mods, triggering animations and objects.

Access to gta audio is an important one for me. I have an idea for making a paraody phone / facetime style advert for iFruit which kinda needs this.

There you go, embed that sh*t asap. Hope you enjoy!

4r14zHN.jpg

5Y5n8jN.jpg

49KCKU4.jpg

Edited by The_XXI
  • Like 2

FixingG00D

^ Nice one

Any chance of a pin mods please? Its hard for this to remain active when it dissapears from the first page frequently.

Maybe I / someone could quote some of the useful stuff from the showreel and general video editing topics into this one, or the OP could link them to his first post.

Yeah this thread should be pinned. It would be a great way to share tutorials/tips for the GTA community. That way we can all help each other out in making quality films :)

Edited by Modojo

I just posted the tutorial for using the raw in-game audio files.

There you go, embed that sh*t asap. Hope you enjoy!

These look awesome! Thank you.

FixingG00D

Nice one Habuj58,

Any long time poster up for PMing a mod about pinning this topic, or a video and photography sub forum with this topic pinned? I doubt they will take notice of my requests tbh. I'm fairly new to the board.

It seems this is something people would like, then we can make a decent and comprehensive resource for people.

Begging_spongebob.jpg

FixingG00D

In response to some of the comments referring to export settings:

Capturing in 1080p is not really necessary. I'm pretty sure much of the YouTube community still renders out in 720p, so the RAW footage is good enough. I use After Effects, so I crop the 1080p clips into a 720p composition, thus compressing the pixels if there's any loss of quality. The initial render is either in AVI or MOV, preferably MOV on completely lossless settings. This final video is then imported into Premiere where I apply the final touches such as crops and fade-ins. Then I export it into custom YouTube settings in H.264 MP4 format, 30FPS. This compresses the final file by about 75%.

I render out in 30FPS, because I'm old school when it comes to cinematic presentation. 60FPS has a tendency to stutter a bit when you start playing with velocity and speeds of footage. You would need higher FPS clips to get 60FPS to look right.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Are you talking about exporting from the editor, or capturing the "full screen preview" e.g. with Shadowplay and using H to hide interface?

What fps to you capture from Rockstar editor as I thought this just plays the preview at 60fps. Only when you export from editor do you get the choice of 60 and 30 fps and quality settings. Do you set capture software to 30fps?

I've not had chance yet to delve into all this but i'm thinking about workflows that let me crank up all graphics settings, DSR, AA, etc, then load my project and capture it in the full screen preview with these ultra graphics (Not export it).

As this might stutter and cause frame drops under ultra graphics settings, I had thought about locking the frame rate (half sync) to 30fps which should honour this in the video preview playback, then capture with shadowplay at 30fps.

Someone mentioned they thought it pre renders everything before playing back the preview which would mean you should end up with ultra settings and smooth playback right?

I would bring this into AE or premiere 30fps timeline / composition.

In general, if anyone wants to share their detailed capture workflows and tips beyond just exporting from the editor to Youtube / social club, which is known to degrade / compress quite badly, it would be useful for this topic.

In particular, how to get the highest graphics e.g. ultra settings / DSR for a video project while having a smooth steady fps, and non stuttery / jittery video.

Obviously playing the game with these settings is difficult depending on setup but i've not heard much mentioned in respect to loading video projects.

In some ways its simpler to just export from R* editor, but then again, seeing what people have done in the photography thread makes it worth that extra effort imo.

What I've noticed is that the Rockstar Editor captures video based on the actions made. For example, right before I upgraded my graphics card, I could only play the game at 30FPS, but I was still able to export clips in 60FPS. This essentially means that the Editor Mode renders out it's own game footage, which would be completely independent of what you're actually seeing when you play the game in real time on your PC.

As for workflow, I export my captured cinematics from Rockstar's Editor in 60FPS. The rendered files are located on your hard drive. Never upload them to SC or YouTube, yes, that will degrade the quality. From here, I like to import them into After Effects. I work with speed changes in 60FPS, because it gives me more room to stretch out clips if I slow them down or speed them up. AE is where I do 95% of my editing and compositing. When I'm finished, I'll render the file out in a lossless MOV format at 720p 30FPS. Rendering it in 30FPS will hide all of the stuttering and speed changes and blemishes created in 60FPS. Also, 30FPS looks better in terms of cinematic editing, in my opinion.

Once the MOV file is done rendering, I import it into Premiere where I apply the final touches. Maybe a little color correction or cinematic crop bars. Then I export the final file into a compressed H.264 MP4 format. This format will prepare YouTube for the best possible format, and your edit will only look as good as YouTube allows it to look, so this is something you must deal with. I know I'm just restating most of this, but with a little more detail.

Edit: Does anyone know if there's a way to use two characters at once in Director Mode?

Edited by X S

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread has been a little dead but I’ve been busy with my latest video, which you can watch below. I used a lot of old techniques that I learned back from GTA IV and a lot of new ones I learned along the way of making this.

I’m going to make some videos breaking down some of the elements in it but if people have questions in the meantime just post them and Ill let you know how I did it.

Edit: Does anyone know if there's a way to use two characters at once in Director Mode?

I dont think this is possible but I was tryign to figure out a way to do this as well. I think the only way to do this is in multiplayer at the moment but it might be possible with mods.

Edited by habuj58

FixingG00D

^ Yes

https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/actor-manager

There are two videos on there that break it down.

Anyone with any interest in the gta v video editor should support Guadmaz and his mod.

IMO the most promising and essential video editor mod. Still early stages but some very interesting ideas and also now supports entering animations.

I need to give latest version a go so can't really help right now. Will report back here after.

Pity this topic died on its arse.

• 5 months later...

Resurrected from the dead for the console peeps too. A fair few have mentioned creating a place to discuss editing tips. Maybe it could be moved out of PC section perhaps?

Camera Shots:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/film-studies-101-camera-shots-styles/

This has helped me in thinking about certain shots, establishing characters and places. Applies very much to R* editing.

Edited by FixingG00D
  • Like 1

Learned a lot from this video. Very useful when shooting action scenes and emphasizing your jump cuts more effectively.

• Like 1