3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

[V|WIP]GTA IV-like car handling and Damage systems

fefenc

GTA IV-like car handling and damage

What's up m8s, here I am again announcing that today I started tweaking the handling of the cars to make them driveable again, it's not too hard for me, but it takes a lot of time because there are 183719 cars in the game needing fix.

• Althrough SA damage system sucks, I'll use the way SA handled the car engine damage. Oh, don't worry, all the cars will get ugly deformations, but some cars will take less engine and deformation damage than the chrommed superkorz because I hate supercars. About the visual damage, it'll be acording with the weight of the car of wether it's a supercar (cuz some supercars in this game are very light);

• I'm tweaking the maximum speed of the cars to match the ingame sites specifications (even through it's very hard to breach said speed without customizing the car);

• Acceleration is being reduced to avoid the damned burnout loop;

• Cars with abs will have a stronger brake than the ones without abs on their wheels;

Here is a short list of the cars that already had their handling tweaked, so they'll become IV-like when you drive them (this will be upgrade over time):

Airtug
Ambulance
Asea
Asterope
Baller
Baller Sport
Banshe
Benson
BJXL
Buccaneer
Buffalo
Buffalo S
Bullet
Burrito
Bus
Cabrio
Caddy
Caddy2
Camper
Cavalcade²
Comet
Coquette
Crusader
Dilettante
Docktug
Dominator
Dubsta
Emperor
Exemplar
F620
Fellon
Fellon GT
Feltzer
Fugitive
Fusilade
Futo
Gauntlet
Granger
Gresley
Habanero
Infernus
Ingot
Intruder
Issi
Jackal
Landstalker
Manana
Mesa
Minivan
Mule
Monroe
Mower
Oracle XS
Oracle
Patriot
Phantom
Premier
Primo
Picador
Police1 (Police Stanier)
Police2 (Police Buffalo)
Police3 (Bulky Police car)
PoliceT (Police Van)
Pony
Rat Loader
Rancher XL
Rhapsody
Ripley
Rocoto
Romero
Rubble
Rumpo
Sabre GT
Sadler
Schafter
Schwarze
Sentinel
Sentinel XS
Seminole
Serrano
Serrano 2
Sheriff
Speedo
Stainer
Stinger
StingerGT
Stockade/Securicar
Stretch
Sultan
Tornado
Tourbus
Towtruck
Towtruck2
Tailgater
Tractor
Tractor 2
Trash
Vigero
Voodoo
Washington
Zion

I know that amount of cars aren't too much, but look at the good side, I might finish the 31491 cars within 31491 days, until then I'll be upgrading this list and I'm posting a video here soon.

What am I doing now: I'm tweaking the handling values, the damage values shall be tweaked later.

=====================================================================================================

Updates

Update 1 - 12/05: Just increasing this list a little bit :)

Update 1 - 13/05: Fixed a CTD caused by a random missing character in the "comet" lines (took me some time to figure out what happened). Editing some stuff in the OP and adding some new finished cars to the orange list;

Update 2 - 13/05: Adding more cars with fixed burnout issue (well, it's more like a workaround, don't blame me for LS roads being soapy, perhaps this is the reason every V car looks shiny like it has taken a soap bath :0);

Update 1 - 14/05: Adding a bit more of cars to the list (almost 100 vehicles fixed :D);

Update 1 - 16/05: Adding some cars.

Edited by fefenc
  • Like 2

Unfortunately is not good for testing yet, I've only tweaked the handling controls, the damage deformation is the same for everyone (2.6), the engine damage is default and the acceleration is a bit unbalanced cuz if I keep the medium/high values, the car will start a burnout looping :S

Maybe I find what is bothering me in the files later because I have to go to the job right now, if I manage to find what is wrong, then I'll post what I have for now on GTAGarage as an alpha, work in progress or whatever this is called.

Edited by fefenc

Would it be possible to add locked differentials to the game? I know it's not a driving focused game but the driving is absolutely horrid, I can not believe it's worse than IV, the only good thing in GTA V is that you can at least get a sense of speed.

I'm not sure what are you talking about, but I think you're talking about locking the steering wheels at a certain angle. GTA IV and V features this command.

Almost every car in IV is locked at 35º while there are a good amount of cars in V that are locked to either 35º or 40º. I'm locking them at 35ºand just leaving the heavier ones and industrial vehicles to 40º and above.

Take in consideration that the aim of this little project is making the handling of the cars similar to GTA IV/TBoGT and bikes similar to TLAD, since V engine handles some driving aspect a bit different, I can't guarantee that you will have the exact same sensation as driving your V car that is featured in IV, but I'll do my best and compare both games.

I'm not a car mechanic, a physicist or anything else, I'm just a guy with a bad taste in the mouth after driving in V.

Also, I'm not just copying/pasting IV values for every car, V engine has a different behavior with suspension bias than IV, this is the reason I got the annoying burnout looping when trying to replicate IV values, ofc I'm using similar values and the same values in some lines for the cars that features the commandline in IV, but I'm also creating similar values to the V vehicles and testing them ingame to make sure they won't feel the same thing like they does in V.

Edited by fefenc

• Oh, don't worry, all the cars will get ugly deformations, but some cars like the older ones will get less deformation and engine damage than the chrommed superkorz and some nowadays cars due to the fact that some of those older cars are made of iron, iron is tigher than steel and because I hate supercars;

Actually, older cars were made from steel too. Newer cars (mid-1980s and newer) deform so badly in crashes because they are designed with "crumple zones". These zones do exactly what their name implies, they cause the car to crumple in key areas, absorbing the force of impact instead of transferring it to the driver and passengers. Very few older cars have crumple zones, so how and where they deform isn't controlled at all. To put it in simple terms, newer cars are designed to destroy themselves during a crash in a very specific way in order to save it's occupants. An older car merely twists and bends randomly and usually leaves it's occupants with severe injuries.

Edited by JoeVK

• Oh, don't worry, all the cars will get ugly deformations, but some cars like the older ones will get less deformation and engine damage than the chrommed superkorz and some nowadays cars due to the fact that some of those older cars are made of iron, iron is tigher than steel and because I hate supercars;

Actually, older cars were made from steel too. Newer cars (mid-1980s and newer) deform so badly in crashes because they are designed with "crumple zones". These zones do exactly what their name implies, they cause the car to crumple in key areas, absorbing the force of impact instead of transferring it to the driver and passengers. Very few older cars have crumple zones, so how and where they deform isn't controlled at all. To put it in simple terms, newer cars are designed to destroy themselves during a crash in a very specific way in order to save it's occupants. An older car merely twists and bends randomly and usually leaves it's occupants with severe injuries.

I already knew about the nowadays car deformation being projected to protect the driver, but about the older cars...

...I feel myself dumb right now :0

BTW, thanks for the heads-up

Edited by fefenc

PLEEEEASE tell me that you are getting rid of that annoying Wheel spin must of the cars have??????? It's not possible to have a slow Wheel spinfree start as the game is now.. No matter how gently you press the forward key, the tires start screeching in wheelspin and smoke.

Yes, I found a way to get rid of the burnouts ;)

Edited by fefenc

Awesome - please dont go overboard with the damage part of the mod :) Extreme deformation looks ugly in GTA :)

I haven't looked into the damage lines yet cuz I'm focusing in the handling first and assuring that the cars won't perform too much burnouts, right now they look fine.

You won't have much reasons to worry about car engine and deformation damage unless you are a supercar guy and/or a bad driver :)

In a few weeks or so™

The process is being slower cuz polishing I don't have my own PC and I'll have tests to do next week, hence my only time to work on this mod is at 1am~4am, but my own rig will get delivered until the next week and I'll finish this as quick as I can cuz I'll be able to stay on the PC all the day after I come from the job, sharing a PC is utter sh*t :S

Edited by fefenc