2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

[V|WIP] Comprehensive Weapon Overhaul

Drkz

Comprehensive Weapon Overaul

This mod aims to modify every single weapon in the game to get a more enjoyable experience, mostly in first person. There's still a lot to discover right now, therefore the first versions will feature small and subtle changes, but changes nontheless. All weapons will receive unique treatment, and each weapon will have a before / after video to help you visualize what changed.

Why "comprehensive" you may ask ? Because every single change will be documented and visible. You will be aware of what i'm doing and what you're installing.

Medias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAez3wLRqZY

Changelog

[RPG] Tweaked visual feedback recoil / kickback, should feel heavier

[RPG] Tweaked rocket speed, should be faster

[RPG] Tweaked reload time, should be longer

[RPG] Tweaked explosion effect (replaced with plane) should be heavier

[RPG] RPG should be good for now

Suggestions

Feel free to share your opinions and ideas. Remain aware that i'm not an expert nor a scripter. I discover at the same time as i edit.

Download

WIP - Coming soon

Edited by Drkz

Voit Turyv

I WANT THIS.

Wow this is great. Please tell me you'll be rebalancing other weapons as well?

Of course.

I started working on the mod today, and the RPG was the first weapon i decided to edit. That's why there's only one video about the mod for now, and it's about the RPG. I plan to take some time on every single weapon. I think i'm gonna work on the Pistol 50 tomorrow or when i have the time, then i will move on the rest.

Also would you guys be interested in an alternate version with goofy gun handling like that typical "splinter cell conviction" move ?

http://s1.webmshare.com/ZNYqq.webm

Edited by Drkz

^Yeah, that would be cool!

Great job! :cookie:

Edited by -untz-

Of course.

I started working on the mod today, and the RPG was the first weapon i decided to edit. That's why there's only one video about the mod for now, and it's about the RPG. I plan to take some time on every single weapon. I think i'm gonna work on the Pistol 50 tomorrow or when i have the time, then i will move on the rest.

Also would you guys be interested in an alternate version with goofy gun handling like that typical "splinter cell conviction" move ?

holy crap, that is awesome! by the way, it's a real technique in real life - called Center Axis Relock, something like that. I don't think it's literally tilted sideways, it's like a slight 45 degrees tilt, but I might be wrong. I'd be fine with it only on the Heavy pistol though, seeing as the rest of the guns are used by NPCs, would make it look somewhat weird.

Of course.

holy crap, that is awesome! by the way, it's a real technique in real life - called Center Axis Relock, something like that. I don't think it's literally tilted sideways, it's like a slight 45 degrees tilt, but I might be wrong. I'd be fine with it only on the Heavy pistol though, seeing as the rest of the guns are used by NPCs, would make it look somewhat weird.

Don't worry for that, it's the result of some modifcations in the rotation of the first person scope offset. It's not an animation change or anything, we can't touch animations with a ten foot pole yet.

Which basically means it's only visible in first person (so for the player only of course), on any weapon i want (it's not a global modification, it's per weapon, so you can have the beretta straight, and the combat

pistol in center axis relock).

BUT the downside of that method, and that's why i said "alternate version" is that i have to get rid (or replace) one of the two aiming mode (either aiming down sights, or the slightly zoomed one before aiming down sights)

Edited by Drkz

MarshallRawR

Of course.

Haha, that's pretty cool!

When I saw the video I thought more about some weird gangster holding his pistol than Splinter Cell ;)

Of course.

Don't worry for that, it's the result of some modifcations in the rotation of the first person scope offset. It's not an animation change or anything, we can't touch animations with a ten foot pole yet.

Which basically means it's only visible in first person (so for the player only of course), on any weapon i want (it's not a global modification, it's per weapon, so you can have the beretta straight, and the combat

BUT the downside of that method, and that's why i said "alternate version" is that i have to get rid (or replace) one of the two aiming mode (either aiming down sights, or the slightly zoomed one before aiming down sights)

I thought it's quite logical you can't add it as a third option, however do you mean that once you replace let's say heavy pistol's ADS then every pistol's ADS will be like that? if not, then I don't really see how this is a problem

Of course.

I thought it's quite logical you can't add it as a third option, however do you mean that once you replace let's say heavy pistol's ADS then every pistol's ADS will be like that? if not, then I don't really see how this is a problem

No they won't. That change will only affect the weapons i want.

Edited by Drkz

edit : fixed, see my post below for more informations

Edited by Drkz

I honestly don't think altering the pistol fire rates is that much needed - you can fire as fast as you press LMB, which is quite realistic (well it should be alot less accurate during rapid fire but what you can do)....although the Deagle shooting delay seems somewhat retarded, would be better if it had big-ass recoil but would fire faster (so you wouldn't be able to just empty the whole magazine with good accuracy)

I honestly don't think altering the pistol fire rates is that much needed - you can fire as fast as you press LMB, which is quite realistic (well it should be alot less accurate during rapid fire but what you can do)....although the Deagle shooting delay seems somewhat retarded, would be better if it had big-ass recoil but would fire faster (so you wouldn't be able to just empty the whole magazine with good accuracy)

Actually i managed to fix my issue by watching how another modder did the same thing.

I went the hard way with tags and various edits since i thought everything was based inside weapons.meta, but the truth is that there's three lines in weaponsanimations.meta where you can define at which rate (slower or faster) the firing animation will play.

So yeah, firerate issue is basically fixed and it looks great on top of that. I'm making the Deagle changes you suggested as we speak. Also altered the muzzleflashes, removed the tracers (why tracers on handguns in the first place ?) and details like that. Video soon.

Edited by Drkz

Great to hear. If you don't mind, here are some suggestions for the pistols:

Regular pistol - basically a mix of a Taurus and Beretta, if I remember right it has .40 on the slide so the mag capacity is fine as it is (12), if you want the extended mag to be based on the real-life extended mags, make it 20 rd. capacity

Combat pistol - seems basically like Beretta PX4, if I remember right the slide says it's chambered in 9mm, thus the correct capacity would be 15 and 20 for the extended mag

AP Pistol - it's a fictional weapon, but I think we can base the mag capacities off OTS Pernach-33 (because it fires 9x18 as well) - that is 18 rounds default, 27 with ext. mag

Heavy Pistol - seems to be a double stack 1911, thus 14 rounds based off the double stack Para Ordnance would be fine, the extended mag on the other hand....I believe 18/19/20 should be fine, judging by the mag's length

Vintage pistol - FN model 1922, 9 rounds in the mag, unsure about extended cause I don't remember how long it was, .32 ACP (should be the weakest pistol)

SNS Pistol - seems to resemble a pseudo AMT backup in .380 ACP (9mm short), 5 round magazine

I'm guessing you're familiar with balancing damages by caliber, if not it should be something like (from least powerful to most) .380 ACP > .32 ACP > 9x18mm > 9x19mm > .40 S&W > .45 ACP > .50 AE. Of course after all, the calibers in the game are all fictional anyway, so it's' up to you whether you wanna make semi-believable damages (like I suggested) or just want to focus on balance instead.

Noted.

For the moment i tend to let the whole damage considerations aside. These will come last, for two reasons :

1. I want the weapons to feel "right" before anything else. And that's mainly on what i'm working right now. Proper damage values will come last to reinforce that feel.

2. Damage values are extremely easy to edit, there's a few lines and some damage modifiers for bodyparts and that's about it. So it can be done last.

iloominaty

The RPG-7 in real life doesnt have any noticable recoil, the recoil of the rpg in the mod is totaly unrealistic, and you said in your description that you aim to make the weapons more authentic.

do you see any recoil

? cause i dont

Taken directly from wikipedia on RPG-7

"The RPG-7 has no noticeable recoil, the only effect during firing being that of the sudden lightness of the launcher as the rocket leaves the tube."

another example

i hope i dont sound angry, im just trying to give you some feedback :) Edited by iloominaty

I will probably lower the effect for the sake of it, yes.

But you need to understand that there's some limitations to what i (or "we) can do towards some aspects, recoil and kickback is one of these aspects. They're both heavily limited, especially in first person. You can either add a visual knockback (like i did with the RPG) and have it higher / lower (you can't edit the effect itself more than that) or shaking the hands holding the weapons in horizontal or vertical directions (and these are both very tricky values since it end up looking like absolute sh*t very fast, like your character has baby arms and wrists ready to break at every shot, with the weapon boucing all over the screen). Therefore there's close to one single value i can edit that adds to the impression that you're actually shooting and it's the visual knockback one.

I will never be able to reproduce or emulate properly the kind of feeling you get when shooting a RPG in real life, and even if there's no recoil i can safely say that you will still feel a considerable kick through your entire body when firing one of these things. That's what i tried to emulate with that knockback, that you're actually shooting something powerful, and not a random uninteresting boomstick. Of course it's a matter of opinions.

When i meant authentic i meant authentic within the boundaries of GTA V. Reading back it doesn't mean anything, but it meant something to me i guess. I can totally understand if people gets mistaken by these buzzwords and i can remove them in the next videos so no ones gets tricked.

Edited by Drkz

Got no time to release a proper video for the Pistol 50 (Deagle) yet and i'm still not fully happy with it, so here's a teaser in the meantime.

Original :

http://webmup.com/e7d61/vid.webm

- Low fire rate

- Stupid f*cking tracers for no reason

- Small almost unnoticeable muzzleflashes

- Muzzleflashes at every shot

- Extremely fast reload

CWO :

http://webmup.com/85280/vid.webm

+ Better fire rate

+ Tracers free

+ Big, no babby mode muzzleflashes

+ The weapon can either randomly produce a muzzleflash or some smoke (not very visible on the video due to the background, but it's the same effect as when you shoot a silenced weapon as reference)

+ Slower reload speed

Hope you guys like what you see. I'm not fully done yet. The recoil still needs to be adjusted.

Edited by Drkz

That is great, the reload feels so much more satisfying when it's slower (especially considering the Deagle is a very heavy pistol) however the recoil could use some upping from what I'm seeing..... by the way, this just reminds me how horrible 5 gun sounds are, I wish we could replace them already...

sputnik323

If you can make the ranges on all the weapons a bit more realistic I will use and love this mod! Why do bullets randomly disappear at distance in GTA games and the devs leave it to modders to fix?

StateofMind15

This is great so far, I remember you commenting on my Improved Weapons Mod. Hope you make great progress with this, it sounds promising and possibly better than mine in the future! :)

If you can make the ranges on all the weapons a bit more realistic I will use and love this mod! Why do bullets randomly disappear at distance in GTA games and the devs leave it to modders to fix?

Yeah i can. Also for why the bullets disappear in GTA games, well we tend to forget that GTA V had to be released on XBOX 360 and PS3, they had to cut a lot of things in order to fit the game inside these archaic boxes. This is probably a remnant of this i guess, i don't know how the game would react with a minigun firing bullets across the map.

This is great so far, I remember you commenting on my Improved Weapons Mod. Hope you make great progress with this, it sounds promising and possibly better than mine in the future! :)

Thanks.

Edited by Drkz

sputnik323

If you are taking more ideas/suggestions:

1: Greatly increase blast radius of the stickybomb.

2: Increase the blast radius of the frag grenade

3: Increase the fire rate of all shotguns (even the assault shotgun is slow compared to the real AA12) - slow down reload time.

4: Standardize weapons to be the same when driving (e.g. mag size, rate of fire) except lower accuracy.

5: Give railgun a 5 round magazine.

6: Increase the blast radius of grenade launcher grenades.

7: Increase the force of the heavy sniper.

8: Allow more weapons to be used in cars (all smgs, sawn-off shotgun, bullpup shotgun).

9: Reduce grenade launcher to 6 round magazine. Increase carried ammo to like 40.

If you get around to altering gun attachments:

1: Suppressors should not decrease damage or range, and actually should slightly increase accuracy.

2: Allow advanced scope and no-scope for all guns.

Looking forward to your next release.

Edited by sputnik323

Good to see somone working on such mod, but:

Got no time to release a proper video for the Pistol 50 (Deagle) yet and i'm still not fully happy with it, so here's a teaser in the meantime.

Original :

- Low fire rate

- Extremely fast reload

CWO :

+ Better fire rate

+ Tracers free

+ The weapon can either randomly produce a muzzleflash or some smoke (not very visible on the video due to the background, but it's the same effect as when you shoot a silenced weapon as reference)

+ Slower reload speed

Hope you guys like what you see. I'm not fully done yet. The recoil still needs to be adjusted.

There are some things that don't seem right, first of all it's based off .50 Deagle, which has 7 rounds magazine, instead of magnum version which has 9 rounds magazine. So it would be cool if you made an alternate version with more recoil, slower fire rate, 7 rounds mag and higher damage to be closer to a .50.

sputnik323

There are some things that don't seem right, first of all it's based off .50 Deagle, which has 7 rounds magazine, instead of magnum version which has 9 rounds magazine. So it would be cool if you made an alternate version with more recoil, slower fire rate, 7 rounds mag and higher damage to be closer to a .50.

More recoil and 7 rounds is fine, but fire rate does not need to be slower IMHO -people can pull a trigger quite fast.

Original :

- Low fire rate

- Extremely fast reload

CWO :

+ Better fire rate

+ Tracers free

+ Slower reload speed

I edited the magazine size just after taking that small footage. So it's already "fixed" and will be in release.

Otherwise laser sights so close yet so far...

http://webmup.com/445e0/vid.webm

Sadly this concept will remain a concept. I modified the flashlight on handguns to emit that red light, but you can't reduce the radius more than what you see in this video, probably a limitation set by Rockstar since it was made for flashlights in the first place. So i can't properly reproduce a laser beam, it's way too big.

Maybe one day, when we will be able to modify textures and i could bypass that using a smaller texture (long to explain). But for now... :/

Edited by Drkz

More recoil and 7 rounds is fine, but fire rate does not need to be slower IMHO -people can pull a trigger quite fast.

The thing is IRL you won't handle recoil of a 50 AE in such fast rate of fire.

Nice!

Can you also make that you can carry only 1 type of weapon at time (1 pistol, 1 MG, 1, AR, 1 launcher etc.)?

hey umm can I ask you how you increased the rate of fire of the weapons? I've been looking for it on the meta but can't seem to find it. The timebetweenshots I think was the same for IV where it only effects when ragdolled.

Thanks!