3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA V on Windows 10 - GTAV.exe has stopped working / ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT

Trash_Ok

!!!! EDIT - FIXED IT !!!!

Just go to device manager, graphics adapter and install Nvidia drivers from there which are made for Windows 10 !

This was the problem :

Hello everyone, well yes ... I installed Windows 10 to test it out and I'm loving it so far... but the biggest issue is that GTA V just won't start now for some reason..

Now, right as I installed the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I started the game and it was working fine. I had another issue in the system that my start menu was not working so the installation must have been screwed up so I installed it again and everything was fine.

But since then, the game won't start again. I thought it got messed up after the reinstall, so I reinstalled the game (LIKE 4 times already for god's sake, retail DVD version) but with no luck, I'm still getting this error.

I tried a couple of drivers, sticking to 350.12 made for GTA V, reinstalled DirectX, Social Club, verified the files, checked hashes of the files, everything seems fine.
It shouldn't be the OS problem because like I said it was working before until I had to reinstall it.

This is the error I'm getting right after the game starts :

e8a14ec7bd.png

Can anyone help me please ?

// EDIT:

Noticed a weird thing but I don't know if it means something - in Nvidia control panel it says I'm running DirectX 12, which is weird. Picture below. And these are my specs by the way :

GTX 765m 2GB (Laptop)
i7 4700MQ 3,2Ghz
8GB RAM DDR3
Game installed on SSD

Nvidia Panel ( sorry it's in czech language)

e2c9fd323b.png

Edited by Trash99

You trying it to play on a laptop WITH windows 10?

*insert double facepalm image here*

UltimateAntic

NL_Bumblebee I am currently playing it on a nvidia laptop with windows 10 and its working great (without the win10 beta drivers)!

Anywways, Windows 10 is still not released (pretty stable tho) and bugs like these can happen. If it becomes impossible to get GTA to work on win10 then just do a rollback. You used the UPGRADE option when installing win10 right?

NYPD.ESU.55

Trash, dont you have a fix for windows 8.1 64bit too maybe? Iam getting the same error every 30 seconds, making the game nearly unplayable. Tried every nvidia driver, getting crashes with all.

FX8350, 8GB DDR3 1600, GTX680 2GB

piddlefoot

I had this issue, ATI card, I discovered it was a profile in the Catylist Center, where the video card was overclocked, only by 10mhtz, yet when I uninstalled the C Center and re-installed it, it reset all profiles to default and the game has been fine ever since.

Before I discovered that this is what I was doing.

If you go to task manager, there MON and CCC and sometime CLI loaded, all linked to the video card, after the error and game crash, I would open task manager and kill these processes and restart them, that worked for a temp fix, until I realised there was a profile in there where I had overclocked the video card in the past.

I also discovered the problem hardly ever happened if I had V-Sinc OFF.

I also discovered the lower the resolution the less this particular error came up.

Hope it helps.

Doesn't matter what operating system your on by the look if it, it looks like a video driver error and is happening on all operating systems from what I can tell.

A Rockstar fix would sure be nice about now.

Very frustrating bug indeed.

I run the BETA ATI driver on an ATI 6990 video card, connected to an AMD system.

My suggestion is everytime you get it to start, go into the graphical settings of the game and turn some stuff off, like tessellation, aa , ff etc, and just lower your video settings across the board until you discover what is making your video drivers so unstable.

Yes Im at 800x600 now with everything off, but it does not crash anymore.

Good luck everyone.

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT is not related to a specific windows version, nor is it related to a specific GPU manufacturer,it is happening on all types of systems/configs.

There are a large number of threads on Rokcstar support site about it, here is the largest single thread i could find at 14 pages:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203458477-ERR-GFX-D3D-INIT-Crash-BSOD

Here is a 65 page thread on the Steam forums about it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611703709830303956/#p1

There are also many large post on Reddit about it, which i cbf finding and linking.

Due to the randomness of the error, alot of people are posting a myriad of weird and wonderful "fixes" for it, no current fixes actually work indefinitely, people just think it does as after they apply the "fix" they play for hours and no crash.

Underclocking GPU/CPU, or changing the game to DX10 mode seems to have the largest amount of people saying it works, though even with this "fix" there are a hell of alot of people saying it doesn't work for them, but that it generally increases the time between occurrences of the error, again though, alot of people not agreeing with this on their systems.

I can play all day sometimes and won't crash, then other times crash within 10 minutes.

You will notice after everyone supposed "fixes" that there are multiple people stating they don't work.

I have been keeping an eye on multiple large threads on this, and nothing people are doing is solving this problem.

Until Rock star fixes this problem on their end, or even perhaps new GPU drivers are released(less likely), we have to live with this problem it seems.

Edited by Phorkz
  • Like 2

blackroseMD1

Glad you got it fixed, Trash. There's also a driver specifically made for Windows 10 on Nvidia's site. It's 352.63, which is a DirectX12 driver (Windows 10's DX version is 12). The one from the Nvidia site might be newer than the one that Windows installs automatically.

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT is not related to a specific windows version, nor is it related to a specific GPU manufacturer,it is happening on all types of systems/configs.

There are a large number of threads on Rokcstar support site about it, here is the largest single thread i could find at 14 pages:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203458477-ERR-GFX-D3D-INIT-Crash-BSOD

Here is a 65 page thread on the Steam forums about it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611703709830303956/#p1

There are also many large post on Reddit about it, which i cbf finding and linking.

Due to the randomness of the error, alot of people are posting a myriad of weird and wonderful "fixes" for it, no current fixes actually work indefinitely, people just think it does as after they apply the "fix" they play for hours and no crash.

Underclocking GPU/CPU, or changing the game to DX10 mode seems to have the largest amount of people saying it works, though even with this "fix" there are a hell of alot of people saying it doesn't work for them, but that it generally increases the time between occurrences of the error, again though, alot of people not agreeing with this on their systems.

I can play all day sometimes and won't crash, then other times crash within 10 minutes.

You will notice after everyone supposed "fixes" that there are multiple people stating they don't work.

I have been keeping an eye on multiple large threads on this, and nothing people are doing is solving this problem.

Until Rock star fixes this problem on their end, or even perhaps new GPU drivers are released(less likely), we have to live with this problem it seems.

Pretty much sums it up seems to be a problem on Rockstars side. I've sent so many tickets with no response.