3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

[V|WIP] Cariminal

Tiryll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mW4IeyEK5g

Currently my project is adding the little things into the game that, in addition (not to compete with, if even possible..) the known police mods will make crime a thing of the past -- or if you're a naughty player, then something to be wary of.

Public Information Gathering System

The project currently lets you question any pedestrian and be given a lot of information about them or ability to stop and detain, willingly to be moved to stations to further process or to fight for their right to be free. It's possible this will be moved behind other checks the pedestrains must meet for that type of information to be available - acting oddly, commiting crime, j-walking, fleeing causing others harm. You know the score. These types of events will be random and at times will have illegal items and other things the real system won't or doesn't check for.

Highway Patrol

If driving, you as police will have tools that will enable to control traffic crimes and other road behaviour that is unsuitable for any respectable city. While I have only just started the programming for this, the structure is similar to the pedestrains version so I think progress will be swift. This then gives opportunity that once the police have dealt with the perp, tow trucks and such could be dispatched to deal with these stranded vehicles.

On the Beat

If walking is more to your taste, you will also have the ability to interact with vehicles and civilians to detect for crime that may not have been reported. A parked car recent been hit? Do you scout the damaged car for information or check if the perp is in the area? A good detective will work on this case and solve it pretty quickly.

Information Age

The mod also has the ability to track personal / ped vehicle speeds which are either street, highway or illegal, with everything in between. Obviously police could then use this information to decide if they wants to pull a driver even if they're not officially flagged by the real police system in-game.

Informations such as if (you) driver has struct pedestrains, if driving wrong way on roads, if crashed into other vehicles or vice versa, if is speeding and at which speeds incidents occur - players previous actions will dictate how the law handles who is to blame and how strict it will punish the behaviour. Other behaviour like driving with no lights in bad weather, continous speeding resulting in blowouts will also give problems for you the wrong-doer.

Street life

Not everyone is likely to standby or watch street violence or cariminality ruin their community, so if the odds are very much against the victim, I hope to have street-like justice and bravery from civilians to help protect the undoubtedly shocked person or their property. This can be against you, or other unruly civilians.

Gang Life

Gangs and authority rarely get along, but respect for the biggest gang is always expected. Your interaction with the gangs will work on a reputation basis. that is to say that depending how much trouble you give a certain gang raises the possibility of them engaging you as you conduct your business which also repairs broken relationships with other outfits, as police or civilian. Gangs now also have the ability to fight other gangs and will do so to defend their patch.

Sleaze

Interactions with the drug dealers could benefit you in terms of a quick bust for possession, or giving you leads for much higher return in terms of drug busts and major crackdowns using stash locations, vehicles and enforcement throughout the city.

Persistent Criminals

Those that are flagged for commiting crimes are stored and made persistent, their crime is noted for reference later along with incident time taken. This will give incentive to track them down when you're able, or if they roam freely for too long, they will evade the law for their crimes. This prevents lots of things clogging up the system and can give rewards for the player arresting the criminals within the time allowed for the crime commited.

Edited by Tiryll

Eight Ball

Woh this looks cool, can't wait to try it out :)

Thank you !

Edited by Eight Ball

This looks great!

Edited by GriffinC

Whilst this is looking very impressive, I wish someone would focus more on adding crime related activities instead of police ones, especially considering the vanilla game is really lacking at this point not to mention there seems to be quite a lot of police themed mods in developement right now.....neverthless, nice work and good luck :p

aaronjoepearson

Whilst this is looking very impressive, I wish someone would focus more on adding crime related activities instead of police ones, especially considering the vanilla game is really lacking at this point not to mention there seems to be quite a lot of police themed mods in developement right now.....neverthless, nice work and good luck :p

Meh there is enough random encounters around the city in my opinion, nothing that actually yields a result worth doing though...$200? pah :{

See your view though! ;p

I wish someone would focus more on adding crime related activities instead of police ones

In-game, my car is basically google maps while I'm testing things and it's tracking the speeds ( I think) are allowed in the area/roads I pass through. I will then apply this to my traffic code later to enforce speed limits. If you want to be a badass you could always speed in slow zone and get some stars? :p

Meh there is enough random encounters around the city in my opinion

Yes but they don't happen often enough.

You obviously haven't played the game often enough to notice that there are a lot of the same, random, boring encounters.

You obviously haven't played the game often enough to notice that there are a lot of the same, random, boring encounters.

The main problem lies behind the logic of some of the game's developers. Why I, the PLAYER, playing a CRIME ORIENTED GAME can't mug other NPCs for example, yet I can kill the mugger then keep the money? Another good example are those gang attacks in Online (gangs spawning in certain areas, you can fight them to get some bonus weapons and cash) why the HELL isn't this in single player? It would fit perfectly....there are some good events like the no country for old men deal or that robbery where you can pick sides, but given that they're not repeatable it's honestly like a small taste of what it should've been. Also the weed farm which apparently is bugged to this day....

Far Cry 4 is totally great when it comes to this - even when you're chilling there's always something to do when you're exploring, be it some soldiers moving hostages to certain death, disarming some bombs, etc....not saying those would work well in GTA, but even though I hate Ubisoft I gotta say they totally nailed the random activities with FC4.

Edited by lolleroz

The main problem lies behind the logic of some of the game's developers. Why I, the PLAYER, playing a CRIME ORIENTED GAME can't mug other NPCs for example, yet I can kill the mugger then keep the money? Another good example are those gang attacks in Online (gangs spawning in certain areas, you can fight them to get some bonus weapons and cash) why the HELL isn't this in single player? It would fit perfectly....there are some good events like the no country for old men deal or that robbery where you can pick sides, but given that they're not repeatable it's honestly like a small taste of what it should've been. Also the weed farm which apparently is bugged to this day....

Far Cry 4 is totally great when it comes to this - even when you're chilling there's always something to do when you're exploring, be it some soldiers moving hostages to certain death, disarming some bombs, etc....not saying those would work well in GTA, but even though I hate Ubisoft I gotta say they totally nailed the random activities with FC4.

I definitely agree. GTA definitely needs more small singleplayer activities to keep the flow of the game going. Honestly it has pretty much turned into a RP game where you drive from point A to B, do a mission, and on and on, There is no random aspect of the game unless you play Online of course, which is more like a war zone. There should definitely be smaller activities present such as, like you said, mugging, robbing, etc. Rockstar shouldn't leave it up to modders (which they don't support anyways) to add things into the game that should have been there in the first place to keep the game flowing instead of turning it into a game where you are there JUST to play the story and that's it. I really don't like this Robber-turned-good guy-turned robber again helping Mom's get their wallets back with $100 in them. I should be the one stealing their wallets.

I could go on and on about how if small mugging activities were implemented, that they might be a little hard to do so without turning the game into something where you walk through a crowd of people holding a certain key down (AC anyone?), But still.

Don't project like that.

The main issue with GTA V isn't the amount of random encounters, but the lack of interaction possibilities with peds except killing them or making them flee.

---

-

I could go on and on about how if small mugging activities were implemented, that they might be a little hard to do so without turning the game into something where you walk through a crowd of people holding a certain key down (AC anyone?), But still.

While working on the vehicle side of things for my project, I noticed that cars drive by me that are flagged as stolen, yet everyone acts like nothing is wrong. Now that I can detect it, using the logic of "a reported sighting" which I would like to be tied to the police audio in-game, or better yet to detect damage and known hotspots for crime (like broken windows or car alarms) which I hear going on all the time. SImilarly I've noticed that if I kill someone and wait, the paramedics will show up, but very rarely does that ped ever get up. They just stand and look at the body. Hopefully I can tie that in with my own and perhaps give the police (player) basic ability to revive, or at least have the ambulance actually do it. I digress, but it amazes me how much is actually left out. Tis a shame.

I just finished a text-scrolling dispatch notice to prevent lots of screen space being taken up by little amounts of information.

g0itygg.png

the text in red scrolls in from the left and stops roughly in the middle for a short period before another comes in to replace it.

Edited by Tiryll

I have thought about having the player be made "off duty" if they're playing as police and they attack or hit another officer, officers will then detain you, without weapons, and you will be taken back to the station and told not to return for 24 hours while the case/action is decided. Additionally I'm able to start working on other things than information based on people or cars. Which means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCVpZaxIJs

Looks great buddy. Keep it up... I like that searching at the car. Perhaps a crouch, or even a kneeling down at other portions of the car. For instance we can keep the front or passenger side door open we could perhaps crouch to search or leaning over how you have it. Opening the truck with one of the vehicle controller mods would be great to search and open the trunk while on foot. Even open the hood to take a look and investigate.

Looks great buddy. Keep it up... I like that searching at the car. Perhaps a crouch, or even a kneeling down at other portions of the car. For instance we can keep the front or passenger side door open we could perhaps crouch to search or leaning over how you have it. Opening the truck with one of the vehicle controller mods would be great to search and open the trunk while on foot. Even open the hood to take a look and investigate.

I plan to have items appear in cars, like a pickup (ie, a gun or objects/items -- not an actual pickup truck), or in my case a traffic cone or something like that. You open the boot and go to the back and there it is. As for the animations I have only just started to work on them - this one is using an out of breath animation, but I noticed it worked well in this scene. I shall continue and hopefully get things really as they should.

I personally use vehicle controller, fuel script, manual trans etc etc so I hope to keep those things in mind.

Edited by Tiryll

I have now finished digging out animations and so far I have ability to apply these to the player or civilians :

- arrest

- direct traffic, left right etc

- numerous sit animations, stand on one leg, etc

- multiple play dead states (body on the ground in manner of positions)

-- use police idle animations

-- stumble, worried, berated

-- hand signals, gestures, idles, cower

.. numerous others.

Now that I can control information about cars and people, and play animations, putting this together could have a workable on foot cop traffic patrol and numerous other things. corpse in an alley reported to cops? go check it out! suspected drunk driver? make him do a dui test! traffic lights broken? direct the traffic!

I have also started gathering information related to sound so hope to implement all this in the coming days.

Edited by Tiryll

Amazing work buddy. This game sounds great. Really awesome with the arrest, sitting animations. I am eager to test it out.

We have tons of potential here for traffic cop, investigating and directing people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1tkdhGBPkQ

I think with something like this, you bring in a bit more trial an effort rather than just breaking windows. Perhaps a chance could be given to break the window accidentally, which then sets off a chain of events. Or, you get away with it scot-free by doing your magic and popping the door. I am drowning in ideas now (and animations to go with it) so you'll have to excuse the spam. :)

PS. I cut the bit between attempting to break in and sitting in the car, well, because I haven't coded the window and alarm stuff, and I don't like to jump back and forward. :)

Edited by Tiryll

Keeps getting better everyday, great work man! any release date yet?