2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Are the graphics worse in online VS story mode?

kiario

I have read that dynamic shadows, air and sea traffic and some weather effects including variation are missing from online version?

Are there really differences like these between the single and multiplayer versions?

Rocket Skates

Yes it is 'dumbed down' if you will. I can notice it from playing online then going back to SP how much more vibrant and brighter SP looks.

Are there any images comparing the graphics between online and story mode?

Rocket Skates

Probably. I haven't ever gone looking for them because I can clearly tell the difference myself but I'm sure you'd find some out there.

Not only that, you also have less wildlife and traffic. Probably for sync purposes.

8up local

imo the worst difference is render distance though.

• Like 2

007_eleven

The flip flops neither flip nor flop in Online, you should cancel your pre-order.

Yes. Some assets also cut in Online.

Details like shirt wrinkling like in SP also not in GTAO. Flipflopping flip-flop isn't in GTAO as well.

Just minor cosmetic.

• Like 2

CrysisAverted

noooo....

Irish O'African

I have read that dynamic shadows, air and sea traffic and some weather effects including variation are missing from online version?

Are there really differences like these between the single and multiplayer versions?

Yes, but why does it matter? As long as it looks good enough and plays good, it shouldn't matter.

TeammateHelper

Are there any images comparing the graphics between online and story mode?

Look for snapmatics from SP and Online. Significant difference in graphics.

Oh well. No more GTA for you. Make sure you close the door on the way out

Soran Is On

There's a lot less newspaper boxes and fire hydrants and bus benches.

Madame Choucroute

Dude! Render distance is up to 2-3m now! Since heists have been implemented - me think - it is a clusterf*ck of buildings and landscape structures appearing at the last moment. How many times have I seen the road disappeared under me while I was driving and not knowing where I was going !?

emptyplayer

The cars also handle slightly differently too. They feel nicer in SP compared to GTAO. I never noticed at the beginning but after playing GTAO for ages and then going back to SP is when I noticed it. This both on PS3&4 btw.

MagicNarcosis

I wouldn't know about the flip flops not flopping

Thongs slippers are disgraceful on a man.

"He got the joints with the joints in between his joints nsh*t"

blackindia

While having connection issues recently my online character ended up in the storymode world. Noticed this when I slammed in to these gates at my storage garage.

0_0_28.jpg

Then I went to my apt to check and same here lots of stuff that isnt normally there...

0_0_29.jpg

Edit: Im pretty sure it said to be public session and not invite but I was however the only player in it anyway. (Xbox 360).

Edited by blackindia

Dude! Render distance is up to 2-3m now! Since heists have been implemented - me think - it is a clusterf*ck of buildings and landscape structures appearing at the last moment. How many times have I seen the road disappeared under me while I was driving and not knowing where I was going !?

that's because, along with the heists, R* tried to revamp the game by improving the graphics on last gen, they had the best of intentions but sadly that backfired horribly, now I can't even hit the second gear in my Infernus while driving through downtown LS without seeing things disappear, it's even worse for me because my character lives in the Alta St. apartment so I'm going through that region everytime I log on...

I really wouldn't mind if R* had to nerf the graphics for last gen if that would fix this problem, never cared for fancier graphics anyway.

PoeticWhisper

Xbox One

Singleplayer

axuv1Mz.png

zJAvH8K.png

I tried my best to get the same time of day, and in the same spot. Not sure if it was just foggy weather on the MP one or not, but there you go. There's the difference, at least on Current Gen.

• Like 3

Chloroform

Of course there is a difference. The main difference single player is played off of the disc. Online is as well BUT has to travel over the Internet. So, yeah things are going to be missing. Well that is mainly due to the lack of dedicated servers.

• Like 2

MagicNarcosis

Xbox One

Singleplayer

axuv1Mz.png

zJAvH8K.png

I tried my best to get the same time of day, and in the same spot. Not sure if it was just foggy weather on the MP one or not, but there you go. There's the difference, at least on Current Gen.

SO is the big ass bush just gone? Or did you just step too far to the left and aren't showing it..

Because I see a shadow from what looks like it could be the bush..

but it could be a palm tree, too.

• Like 1

PoeticWhisper

Oh, the bush is there, I just wasn't in the exact position, my bad. LOL

• Like 1

Shadowfennekin

Of course they're worse online. With people playing off the local Starbuck's Wifi, I notice lag while close to their radiance like buildings turning into gray blocks losing texture and their character popping from one place to the next.

Chloroform

Of course they're worse online. With people playing off the local Starbuck's Wifi, I notice lag while close to their radiance like buildings turning into gray blocks losing texture and their character popping from one place to the next.

Or the people that use their phones as hotspots.

Did some comparisson yesterday also and the worst graphic downgrade in my opinion is the washed out graphics/textures of online. Its loosing a lot of detail to a degree that its not as fun anymore.

Also the cars seem less detailed and more color banding. Like its not full 32bit.

Much less graphical fidelity online. Missing trashcans and stuff I can accept but not the graphical fidelity.

• Like 1

chimpsch89

I can't believe we weren't told about this. I demand a refund.

Did some comparisson yesterday also and the worst graphic downgrade in my opinion is the washed out graphics/textures of online. Its loosing a lot of detail to a degree that its not as fun anymore.

Also the cars seem less detailed and more color banding. Like its not full 32bit.

Much less graphical fidelity online. Missing trashcans and stuff I can accept but not the graphical fidelity.

It had much better colours and lighting effects on release on ps4 online than it has now. It also had a very poor framerate... Something had to be done. Either code better or drop quality.

Grumpy-GummyBear

At times the graphics online look almost equal to the graphics in story mode, at other times the colors look washed out, cars have jagged edges to the point you have to be standing right next to a vehicles to know which on it is

Do the graphics load from our harddrives or from the servers during online play?

I am on a Ps3

Everything is generated locally. All you get from the other player is coordinates and a text file to say what colours, mods, cloths etc.

Most online games run a server which sends you that stuff about every player in the session. GTA doesn't have servers so you get 30 consoles/PCs from all over the world sending data to each other rather than only connecting to the server. This is why GTA runs so poorly online and why it slows down so much in big lobbies. It's basically just a torrent :). Very low tech.

Edited by elfoam