2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Spawn rate of free roam random events

JustSomeBunny

JustSomeBunny

During the Festive Surprise, way back in December, when hunting for special crates, I timed that a random event would happen 5 minutes after the resolution of the previous random event. By random events I mean things like green car, bank van, kill target, and crates. The heist update added new random events (purple circle, red car, red plane). I have determined that now only 1 random event occurs per 48 minute cycle. This is significantly slower - 9.6x slower if I did the math right.

Does anyone know how to increase the frequency with which these events happen, or other strategies for getting the related achievements?

Take for example shooting down the smuggler aircraft for Trevor. Platinum medal requires 50 kills. Only one event per 48 minutes, and green car/red car/bank van seem just as likely to spawn if not more so. Therefore, to get 50 smuggler kills, I estimate it would take at least 200 hours of game time.

This is the first award I've seriously considered not giving a flip about - it's just ridiculous!

Shadowfennekin

It is a pretty ridiculous timer I flew around wrecking stuff in my Savage for about an hour and what spawns? Not a Lester cop distraction, Gerald vehicle, nor Trevor's smuggling........ Simeon's crap car. -_-

Just flew down, blew it up and left the session.

PlasmicSnake

Yea Id say that 48minutes is accurate now, I got the Lester distraction job after about that time. I have still yet to even ever get any of the new activites. I got a text or message once about a car but nothing ever spawned. I haven't seen an armored truck or Simeon special vehicle either for months. It went from way to often to practically never happening.

• 1 month later...

When crate drops happen (i.e. Ill Gotten Gains, like now), the frequency is 5 minutes between events.

Sit in an invite only or closed friends session with less than 4 people in (to avoid crate drops). I got all Lester contacts, Armoured Trucks, Red cars and smuggler planes in the last few days. Set a timer for 4:50, hit go as you blow up whatever needs blowing up (or 9:50 if lester contact, just fly through to start the timer then sit outside the circle), then go do something else.

Unsure if it was just coincidence or what but this morning I hit 2 smuggler planes in a row, both times I was sat outside flight school. Probably just luck but this location is cool to wait as if it's an event you dont want and it's miles away just enter flight school, leave it and restart the 5 minute timer while being close to a hydra spawn point.

Not only is this good for the awards (if you're a completionist like I am) but at $30,000 per plane it's a good way to earn money, I went from $4.6million to $6.5million over the weekend by barely playing.

yes it was very nice that the special crates and the high frequency of spawning random events lasted a whole week this time!

i also made alot of money with those (especially the planes).

before that i was a little disappointed that i missed out on those things after the event weekend, as i wasn't aware that the rewards for the smuggler planes increase each time up to 30k each.

but within this week i greatly made up for that missed opportunity on that weekend.

I liked the increased event frequency a lot, too. I like doing some jet stunts with the Hydra and when you are alone (or with a few crewmates who do other stuff) in a session where every other event is either a smuggler helicopter or a smuggler plane you can get quite the payday without much effort. There is hope they might offset the outrageous price tags on some things with more of this in the future.

Edited by Locce

I fuggin' love the Smuggler aircraft.

30k each time. I made 120k yesterday just from taking down 3 of the bastards.

MitchMaljers

I know right.

For me they regulary spawn 3 times in a single session along with Simeon's Exports, Gerald's drug cars and the like.

Sometimes it was very crazy. If an event was not a plane or helicopter I could just call Pegasus for my Hydra afterwards and 5 minutes later - Boom! - smuggler helicopter/plane. If a Simeon vehicle was not at least a Schafter I just destroyed it because that meant skipping a weak payday for another $30k one a couple of minutes earlier, so more money in the long run.

Spent many many hours yesterday just taking out the smuggler planes & made a over a Million over the weekend just farming them. I was in a public lobby but was the only player & figured their was a event every 15 min in real time usually a Red car for $2000, Armored truck $6-9000, Simmons green car (i blew it up as I found the next event doesn't happen for ages while it's still on the grid), Lester's Purple zone for $10,000 or a smuggler plane or helicopter for a cool $30,000. Found that if I'm in a buzzard away from the city the frequency of smuggler planes spawning increased dramatically & I was taking about 2-3 of them out every hour plus what I was making from the others.

you mean 4, right? lol

• Like 2

Yeah? Explain that to us. You made 120k by taking 3 down? Bullsh*t. You would have got 90k.

Yeah? Explain that to us. You made 120k by taking 3 down? Bullsh*t. You would have got 90k.

f*ck man, chill out. Miscalculation.

There's this thing called a typo. It's really not worth getting enraged about.

you mean 4, right? lol

Thats it ;)

f*ck man, chill out. Miscalculation.

Ok, its all cool. ;)

10 or even 5 minute intervals make free roam a much more interesting place, as well as more profitable. Rockstar should really take note.

LBCWorldWide

you mean 4, right? lol

Thats it ;)

I know how temperamental the planes can be and I can almost guarantee you only got credited for 2 of those 3, that you thought was 4. 😆 They do offer good ching tho.

I sent an email to R* asking to lower yhe FR events timer from it's usual 48 minute intervals down to 15-20. This was last week, then I saw they were bringing back the event special for a whole week.

I'm hoping with IGG2, one of the updatea is the lowering of the everyday timer.

LBC 😎

Tails Prower

We can but hope a change is coming with the random events.

I suspect maybe this current event has been a tester to see how successful the random events are proving with the free roam lobbies player base.

Personally I would like to see them continue, free roam is a very boring place with just Sports, Strip Club and killing players to do.

I think the 6 min frequency is a bit too freequent but if I knew there was an event every 10-15 minutes chances are you'd be doing something in free roam and can get the random event reward.

The only thing I fear about random events is a lot of people are probably currently completing them to try and get the Platinum awards and I fear that once everyone has got them there will be less interest in random events so R* might

then reduce them again.

Edited by tails_prower_2040

• 4 months later...

So, what are people experiencing?

For me, there was a small period where the random events came in a steady stream of one pr. 48 minutes, but that time is long gone. Now it's seemingly at random, but with loooooong waits in between.

Does anyone have any patch notes or anything that could explain why Rockstar would actively go out of their way lower the number of things to do online - just doesn't make sense to me.

For me, there was a small period where the random events came in a steady stream of one pr. 48 minutes, but that time is long gone. Now it's seemingly at random, but with loooooong waits in between.

Does anyone have any patch notes or anything that could explain why Rockstar would actively go out of their way lower the number of things to do online - just doesn't make sense to me.

Only just noticed this had a new post.

New "free roam events" are the cause for the old events not happening or being infrequent as the "tuneable" files on the servers the old events every 48 minutes are switched

off replaced by the 12 minute events given after Free Roam DLC update file. Rockstar want the new event format played instead.

Only just noticed this had a new post.

New "free roam events" are the cause for the old events not happening or being infrequent as the "tuneable" files on the servers the old events every 48 minutes are switched

off replaced by the 12 minute events given after Free Roam DLC update file. Rockstar want the new event format played instead.

Wish they would make up their minds about putting the old random events in invite only, or removing the awards for the armored trucks, smuggler planes, etc.

I agree, I still have to complete all those awards on PS4, I have raised a ticket and support topic on it previously but got little or no

response on the subject.

• 1 month later...

Same here. I play alone most of the time and can't stand the lunatic asylum that is public free roam. The random events in 'invite only' lobbies were a nice break from contact mission grinding.