2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Lower fps with vsync

bad22ize

Hello, i have noticed that in some areas when i have vsync on my fps drops to the 40's, and once i turn it off i get the fps i usually get (around 60) why is this?

specs

r9 280

i5 4590

8gb ram

Because it's broken. Disable it in-game and enable it from your driver Control Panel.

lydianduck

Yeah, same here, If I alt tab the game or toggle v sync off and on again it fixes itself, it needs to be patched.

Stop blaming the game just because you don't understand what VSYNC does any better than OP.

VSYNC locks your FPS "in step" with your refresh rate. If you fall below 60fps, it will drop you down to the next "tier" in increments of 15 or 30. If your FPS normally stays around 60, why exactly are you using VSYNC?

• Like 2

lydianduck

Stop blaming the game just because you don't understand what VSYNC does any better than OP.

VSYNC locks your FPS "in step" with your refresh rate. If you fall below 60fps, it will drop you down to the next "tier" in increments of 15 or 30. If your FPS normally stays around 60, why exactly are you using VSYNC?

Unfortunately, it's you who don't understand, 99.99% of games today have v sync WITH triple buffering enabled by default, which means it shouldn't happen that, and 2nd of all, like I said, it stops happening when I alt tab the game, because this game DOES have triple buffering, but it seems like it's poorly implemented for some reason.

Edited by lydianduck
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, it's you who don't understand, 99.99% of games today have v sync WITH triple buffering enabled by default, which means it shouldn't happen that, and 2nd of all, like I said, it stops happening when I alt tab the game, because this game DOES have triple buffering, but it seems like it's poorly implemented for some reason.

Multiple buffering isn't going to do anything without the surplus VRAM to make it work. Alt-tabbing takes the load and heat off your card and so VSYNC raises you back up until you put the load and heat back on the card.

lydianduck

What are you talking about?! I only play with v sync enabled in all my games and i've seen my framerate go to 50, 47, 52, 33, 41, 60 and everything in between. That's exactly what triple buffering is for, it prevents your framerate from cutting in half when you can't keep up with your refresh rate.

-edit- No dude, in GTA V if I go to a dense grassy area, my framerate will drop to 30 and stay there, but when I alt tab the game, it drops to only 57 (to give you an example), so it seems like triple buffering is not engaging in for some reason untill I alt tab the game or toggle v sync off and back on.

Edited by lydianduck

What are you talking about?! I only play with v sync enabled in all my games and i've seen my framerate go to 50, 47, 52, 33, 41, 60 and everything in between. That's exactly what triple buffering is for, it prevents your framerate from cutting in half when you can't keep up with your refresh rate.

-edit- No dude, in GTA V if I go to a dense grassy area, my framerate will drop to 30 and stay there, but when I alt tab the game, it drops to only 57 (to give you an example), so it seems like triple buffering is not engaging in for some reason untill I alt tab the game or toggle v sync off and back on.

And how long does it stay at 57 fps?

lydianduck

Indefinitely, as long as I keep looking in the same direction.

Or I can push the graphics even further and it will drop even lower than that, let's say 52 (once I alt tabbed the game, of course).

Edited by lydianduck

Indefinitely, as long as I keep looking into the same direction.

So, in other words, until you put the same load back on it. Sounds like you're overestimating your hardware. You can't push 60fps at whatever your settings are, and you don't have the spare VRAM to make up the FPS with multiple-buffering.

lydianduck

The settings I use make me stay at 60fps all the time; what im saying is if I put them higher, it will drop to 30 instead of 57, UNLESS I alt tab the game.

And my vram is not even close to being filled up, confirmed by the in-game vram bar AND gpu-z.

• Like 1

The settings I use make me stay at 60fps all the time; what im saying is if I put them higher, it will drop to 30 instead of 57, UNLESS I alt tab the game.

And my vram is not even close to being filled up, confirmed by the in-game vram bar AND gpu-z.

So then you're forced to play on basically last-gen graphics in order to get 60fps?

lydianduck

... I don't see how is that relevant to the point we're discussing here, but they're somewhere between last gen and current gen, these are my settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Vsync: On

Texture Quality: Very High

Shader Quality: Very High

Msaa: Off

Fxaa: On

Shadow Quality: High

Ambient Occlusion: High

Reflection Quality: Very High.

Reflection MSAA: Off

Water Quality: Very High

Grass Quality: High

Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

Tesselation: Very High

Post FX: High (no dof or motion blur)

Soft Shadows: Soft

Particles Quality: High

sliders to the max and High Resolution Shadows and High Detail Streaming while flying: On

Edited by lydianduck

lydianduck

What?! When did I overestimate my card?! It's ok, it's nothing impressive, but it doesn't change the fact that my framerate cuts in half if I don't alt tab the game, that was my whole point.

CrisFormed

I think you can do even higher settings, lyd. I only have a 960 and my settings are slightly higher than yours. Your 680 is still a great card. The only thing later models have that I am aware of is they run a little cooler and suck a little less juice and add "10" or "20" tops to a 6 series's second number for good measure to match a slightly lower 9 series. Maybe some things are a bit faster, but in a broad/generalizing way, all things 680 should be faster than or equal to a 960, no problem. You might even call our cards nearly identical but only at a first glance: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-680

I think you can safely higher your shadows to very high and use SoftER shadows (I just made that change last night from high/sharp and suffered no losses except a few places I got minimum 58fps, vsync player here :^:)

You memory bandwidth should let you do some more bloated settings than me, even if the 960 is compressing in a novel way, the bandwidth is there for you to push that card to its max, I gotta be a bit more conservative with some things than you, most likely.

Edited by CrisFormed

lydianduck

But if I do, I drop below 60fps in grassy areas, besides, im happy with these settings :) and the game is silky smooth.

I forgot to mention I use fxaa from nvidia's control panel, same with anisotropic filtering (I turn those off in-game), they look a little better in my opinion.

-edit- Ah ok, Im gonna try your settings later tonight, I know that I can't turn DoF on or I drop below 60 in grassy spots. Im gonna try with "softer" or even very high shadows and see if it makes a difference, thanks!

Edited by lydianduck

CrisFormed

I agree. I was defending the AF ingame yesterday on a thread here, and went into my game and noticed it's pretty weak and OP of that dithering thread was right. Without using nV control panel version, it's weaker. I think they are optimizing trilinear in the software or something. Same for FXAA (it looks better forced imo).

Weird that DOF is effecting you like that. I'm using Very High grass myself.

Edited by CrisFormed

I think you can do even higher settings, lyd. I only have a 960 and my settings are slightly higher than yours. Your 680 is still a great card. The only thing later models have that I am aware of is they run a little cooler and suck a little less juice and add "10" or "20" tops to a 6 series's second number for good measure to match a slightly lower 9 series. Maybe some things are a bit faster, but in a broad/generalizing way, all things 680 should be faster than or equal to a 960, no problem. You might even call our cards nearly identical but only at a first glance: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-680

This depends heavily on which version of the 680 he has, of which there are several. Which specific model do you have, lydian?

lydianduck

It's an Asus GTX 680 DC2-4GD5, the 4gb vram version. :cookie:

Edited by lydianduck
  • Like 2

Well then we're back to your card simply not being able to push 60fps until you reduce the load, but since it's absolutely impossible that this is a limitation of your hardware then it must be aliens.

lydianduck

Sorry, I swear I don't understand your point dude, of COURSE my card won't be able to push 60fps if I keep rising the settings, my actual settings give me 60fps all the time; my initial point was this: If I put my settings any higher, whenever my framerate dips below 60, it locks to 30fps unless I alt tab the game (or turn v sync off and on again), then it drops to like 55, or 50, or whatever.

This is the last time im explaining it, sorry, but this is like the fourth time.

Edited by lydianduck

Yes, you're absolutely right, the only way to get 30fps is to be locked at 30fps. You win.

lydianduck

That's not what im saying; If I turn everything to the absolute max, including MSAA and everything, I'll drop to 30 AND EVEN BELOW obviously

But what im saying is this: In this game, if I bump the msaa to, let's say, 2x, I'll dip to 30fps, but if I alt tab, the fps drop only goes to 50 instead of 30, in the same spot.

Edited by lydianduck

That's not what im saying; If I turn everything to the absolute max, including MSAA and everything, I'll drop to 30 AND EVEN BELOW obviously

But what im saying is this: In this game, if I bump the msaa to, let's say, 2x, I'll dip to 30fps, but if I alt tab, the fps drop only goes to 50 instead of 30, in the same spot.

Does this happen when you turn VSYNC off?

CrisFormed

If it's 50 without, 30fps with seems about right. At 60 without on my config, I drop to 51 and down to 40 with MSAAx2 only.

I do find that if I, strangley enough, enable and disable MSAAx4, the far clip stays much less shimmery/jaggy than if I just ran without on/off. I'd like to understand why, it's so strange.

Edited by CrisFormed

lydianduck

It's not 50fps without; Without msaa I get 60fps all the time. It was just an example to demonstrate how, as I keep bumping my graphics up, dips to 50, or 55 or whatever, automatically lock my framerate to 30fps, unless I alt tab the game, then it only drops to 50/55/etc on those same spots.

Obviously, if I run the game at 4k at max settings it's gonna be a slideshow, but that's not what im talking about; Im talking about an apparent bug with v sync that me, and others have reported in another thread have.

Edited by lydianduck

lydianduck

I already explained it three hundred times, im done.

Edited by lydianduck