2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Bumpers, spoilers, etc. how do they affect performance?

Le Dude

It's recently been brought to my attention that seemingly cosmetic upgrades actually affect your car's performance in this game. What does each of them do exactly?

Edited by Le Dude

if you put a spoiler (it doesn't matter which one you pick) on a car the traction stat increase

and afaik bumpers are just cosmetic upgrades

Edited by boxr

if you put a spoiler (it doesn't matter which one you pick) on a car the traction stat increase

and afaik bumpers are just cosmetic upgrades

And suspension? I'd rather not lower my car till it scrapes the asphalt off the ground, but if it boosts performance...

Jikantaru

If you put on the cometitive suspension you can cut corners better, but it depends on the car. Some of them will still spin out. Not really sure about that, just my feeling.

Lowering the suspension increases handling. I do it for all of my vehicles barring the offroad ones. I don't like sacrificing ground clearance for marginally better cornering. Like boxr said, a spoiler also increases traction.

You supposedly also get improved performance based on the wheels you select. For example Sport or High End wheels should give you better street traction than say Muscle or Tuner wheels. Offroad wheels should improve performance on the dirt.

There is little in the way of actual confirmation for all of this though. The only evidence I have seen for any of this are some allusions to the fact by Rockstar Support that some other users have posted to online forums over the years. Rockstar has really done a pretty poor job explaining vehicle mods and their effects.

Edited by WHAT!?

im50CZq.gif
Mii44or.gif

Its already proven (for racing) that off road wheels are the best overall. They take bumps the best and provide the best traction for offroading

If you are an ultra-competitive racer on GTA O (which is a huge contradiction by the way), off road tires and wing are a must

Putting a wing on the car increases rear wheel traction, although putting larger park benches wont give you more traction than the tiny lip

Bumpers, skirts, roofs, hoods, roll cages, etc are purely cosmetic and do nothing performance wise

Suspension increases handling and will allow you to take corners better. It also lowers your centre of gravity (CG) which is beneficial (especially for top heavy rides)

Suspension mods do lower your car, so you get less ground clearance which can be bad for going over curbs and bumps

If you put on the cometitive suspension you can cut corners better, but it depends on the car. Some of them will still spin out. Not really sure about that, just my feeling.

Thats mainly on how much traction the car loses during turns, try not flooring it :^:

Edited by Winning001

sh*t, that's a lot of new information for me, can't believe I didn't know that all this time..

Lowering the suspension increases handling. I do it for all of my vehicles barring the offroad ones. I don't like sacrificing ground clearance for marginally better cornering. Like boxr said, a spoiler also increases traction.

You supposedly also get improved performance based on the wheels you select. For example Sport or High End wheels should give you better street traction than say Muscle or Tuner wheels. Offroad wheels should improve performance on the dirt.

There is little in the way of actual confirmation for all of this though. The only evidence I have seen for any of this are some allusions to the fact by Rockstar Support that some other users have posted to online forums over the years. Rockstar has really done a pretty poor job explaining vehicle mods and their effects.

Yeah I know the wheels affect performance, they did in GTA SA too. But the spoilers kind of took me by surprise.

Misanthrope Z

spoilers, suspension and offroad tires all give the car a slight buff in performance

bumpers, hoods and skirts are all cosmetic

Can confirm about Off-road tires. They also help in the wet too, majority of my muscle cars have off-road they stick to the road better.

Yeah I know the wheels affect performance, they did in GTA SA too. But the spoilers kind of took me by surprise.

unfortuantely you both are wrong about that part.

only the off road wheels affect performance a little as it was said.

all of the other wheels don't affect the performance at all, no matter what kind of wheel on what car.

it's all tested by broughy.

VanessaMagick

From what I heard, none of the wheels directly affect performance in any way but since off-road tires are sized differently you can get better movement over curves and slopes. So if it's performance you want, you should put off-road tires onto everything, even your supercars and the like.

But, that's what I heard. From a friend of a friend, that sort of thing. I just get what looks nice.