3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Gta 5 crashes when gpu is overclocked [AMD]

dionkoffie

dionkoffie

I have a msi R970x 4Gb gddr5 and I can run this game on highest settings at 55/60 fps if I overclock my gpu.

These are my settings:

29f37270f4.jpg

At some point, the game freezes and give me this error:

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT

The game runs fine on stock speed but not when I overclock it. I can confirm it runs stable on these settings but I dont know whats causing this.

Any tips??

qwerasdzxc

Check your temps, it's possible that your GPU is overheating because of the overclock.

ALL TIME PRO TIP: Don't overclock your GPU.

You already have powerfull stock product, you don't need to overclock your GPU, you will gain nothing but artifacts, lower GPU life span, and of course, the crashes.

Srly dude, don't. Then again I would suggest you to perhaps focus on a CPU overclock but I genuinely fear that you don't know enough to get out of this without damaging your PC.

EDIT: I looked again at your OC, you don't know what to do with it so it seems, if you're really stubborn and don't see the uselessness of a GPU OC, go in Skyrim or some game from Bethesda, OC your card 50 Mhz each time you launch the game, and wait until you see artifacts on the environment, when you see some, decrease slowly until they're gone. Then once again, don't f*cking OC your GPU it's useless.

Edited by Solal21

dionkoffie

You already have powerfull stock product, you don't need to overclock your GPU, you will gain nothing but artifacts, lower GPU life span, and of course, the crashes.

Srly dude, don't. Then again I would suggest you to perhaps focus on a CPU overclock but I genuinely fear that you don't know enough to get out of this without damaging your PC.

EDIT: I looked again at your OC, you don't know what to do with it so it seems, if you're really stubborn and don't see the uselessness of a GPU OC, go in Skyrim or some game from Bethesda, OC your card 50 Mhz each time you launch the game, and wait until you see artifacts on the environment, when you see some, decrease slowly until they're gone. Then once again, don't f*cking OC your GPU it's useless.

Im getting 15 fps more when im overclocking. but thanks for the advice.

and btw my temps are 60/65 degrees

èsame here i get 10-15 more fps with OC. If the game craches or you see artefacts just lower the core clock / memory clock (mainly coreclock) until you're good

Your temps are fine.

Edited by Shayd80

èsame here i get 10-15 more fps with OC. If the game craches or you see artefacts just lower the core clock / memory clock (mainly coreclock) until you're good

Your temps are fine.

What he said. Temps are fine, didn't know your would get that much more fps. My limit OC doesn't me anything more.

dionkoffie

I was suprised too. I can now run this game on highest settings MSAA off on 55/60 fps.

SuperSaiyanHazza

OP,when i OCed my gpu i went a little bit too far so i got that error,i lowered oc for a bit and restarted the game

I googled that error dionkoffie and there are over 16,000 results which can be refined but like some have said in the results, the error occurred when they OC'd their card too high. You said it only happens when you OC. You could try as others suggested, incrementally OC'g in the smallest steps to see if the problem persists or at what point it occurs. If you find the point, stay below it and see if the problem ever occurs again.

SlaveZer0

Don't ever overclock radeon crap...

...really

dionkoffie

I lowered the clock speed and I get the same amount of fps as before but no crashes. Thanks!

1Fugitive

no surprise is it? this game is more GPU than CPU.

I have a 2Gb gtx 660 w/ 16G Ram an game is smooth, I donno fps, I don't obsess about things like that.

let my eyes tell me. also raised the games priority in task Mgr to highest and launcher to low.

I do know this: Vid cards need a certain Amperage from power supply on the 12v line. lots of PS's say there SLI-ready, this an that. watts don't matter to a certain degree, but in speaking with the factory, they gave me, an you can find out, amperage needed on 12v for Your Vid card. regardless of wattage power supply, Ive seen 1000-1200 watt PS's that didn't have the necessary Amperage.

of course more power is more heat, alas the eternal struggle. Gotta keep things cool- I have 3 front fans, 1 in back (blowing out), both case sides off. Once in awhile I alt/tab minimize the game an the heat pipe on my card goes from untouchable burning hot to cool-to-touch. I let 'er cool awhile an come back later