4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Low FPS because of AMD Phenom II X4?

HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata

Hi

I recently bought a AMD R9 290X for being able to play actual games. CPU is still an old Phenom II X4 940 and I have 8GB RAM.

I installed GTA V yesterday and had some problems with the fps.

In the first playable story scene, everything looked good, I don't know the exact fps, but it looked flowing. Then the cut scene with Michael, also everything good.

And then, first time in the city with Franklin, so slow, so bad.

So I tried several options in the graphic settings and launched the benchmark. In the first scene of the benchmark I get around 20 fps. Ingame in the city, Fraps shows between 15-30 fps, unplayable...

Weird thing, changing the graphic settings doesn't change anything, everything to lowest as possible, everything to the highest, no big difference (1-5 frames)

As my graphic card should be able to give 60 fps with highest settings, I thought my old CPU can be the problem. But I found a video on youtube, where a guy gets 1,5-2 times more fps than me.

But I think the Phenom 940 is the minimum required CPU, and minimum doesn't mean 15 fps in my opinion, that is not playable.

Driver is 15.4 Beta, system is up to date.

What else to try?

Thanks for your answers

HakunaMatata

And where is my X4 940 in this chart? :panic:

No, just kidding, I got it. So I need to upgrade my CPU.

Thank you!

Edited by HakunaMatata

A Phenom II X4 940 is simply too weak of a CPU for a 290X. Make sure your motherboard's socket support. AM3 motherboards doesn't support FX series CPU.

If that's the case, get at least a Thuban Phenom II X6. 1090T is quite decent and most of the times outperformed an FX 8320. But then you'll need to do some hunting though. Finding a Phenom CPU these days are quite hard.

Edited by Kampret

FWIW you could try a Mantle game, these do a little better in CPU limited scenarios.

But with that Phenom, the R9 290X will never reach full potential.

Edited by utack

Braindawg

Ive got a Phenom II quad core 955 works great... and it's 8 years old... srsly how is it my sh*tty ass rig can handle GTA V and everyone else is like "OMG GAEM SO SLOW"

Ive got a Phenom II quad core 955 works great... and it's 8 years old... srsly how is it my sh*tty ass rig can handle GTA V and everyone else is like "OMG GAEM SO SLOW"

A 955 is decent. A 940 is already not enough in modern gaming. Especially since 955 is a BE processor while 940 is not.

Can't be the only one who loved saying 955 BE instead of plain 955.

FWIW you could try a Mantle game, these do a little better in CPU limited scenarios.

But with that Phenom, the R9 290X will never reach full potential.

Probably that CPU won't even saturate a 7870.

HakunaMatata

A 955 is decent. A 940 is already not enough in modern gaming. Especially since 955 is a BE processor while 940 is not.

My 940 is a BE too ;-)

My 940 is a BE too ;-)

WHAT?! My apologies. Must've mixed it with the non-BE 945.

In that case, have you tried overclocking it? Although from what I heard a 940 isn't much of a great overclocker, worth the try. But yeah, check your motherboard whether it supports AM3+ or not.

Scratch that. 940 BE is an AM2+ CPU. Sorry but AM2+ platforms are extremely old. Although a 1090T should work on AM2+ motherboards (AFAIK AM3 CPUs work with AM2+ motherboards).

Edited by Kampret

HakunaMatata

My 940 is a BE too ;-)

In that case, have you tried overclocking it? Although from what I heard a 940 isn't much of a great overclocker, worth the try. But yeah, check your motherboard whether it supports AM3+ or not.

No problem ;-)

I tried. But no success, system was very unstable and had many crashes, even with just a little OC and letting AMD Overdrive do it.

Seems not, I have a ASUS M4A78-E. Checked the CPU list.

My 940 is a BE too ;-)

No problem ;-)

I tried. But no success, system was very unstable and had many crashes, even with just a little OC and letting AMD Overdrive do it.

Avoid using AMD Overdrive. My rig also went unstable using it.

Your motherboard should support Phenom II X6 accoding to http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/m4_6cores/

I'd say go for it. Sometimes you can get bargains from used CPUs. Scratch looking for new. It's very hard now.

I'm assuming you're still rocking DDR2, right ;)

HakunaMatata

My 940 is a BE too ;-)

No problem ;-)

Avoid using AMD Overdrive. My rig also went unstable using it.

Your motherboard should support Phenom II X6 accoding to http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/m4_6cores/

I'd say go for it. Sometimes you can get bargains from used CPUs. Scratch looking for new. It's very hard now.

I'm assuming you're still rocking DDR2, right ;)

Yep, DDR2.

So I think probably it's better to buy a 4690 (or 4460) with a cheap H97 mainboard and new RAM. I should get this for about 400 Euro and then I have a near brand new system.

In that case, get a 4690 if your budget allows. Personally I'd go with a 2500K. Quite cheap and performs like a beast.

my advice to you as a fx 8320 user if you have enough budget to build intel go for it. because phenom x4 and fx 6xx - fx 8xx not enough difference to change. and amd3+ socket died new amd cpus use fm3(2016)

Edited by rest1

mahanddeem

That ru chart has some confounding caused by SLI usage. But still GTA needs a good cpu.