3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

What do I need to Upgrade to?

Corparal_Hazard

Corparal_Hazard

I want to play GTA 5 PC but my video card isn't good enough. What can I upgrade to for the least amount of money possible for at least a stable 30 FPS?

Any suggestions are helpful and if you have a suggestion a link to the video card would be very helpful.

My specs at the moment:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 8570D

CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics

CPU Speed: 3.9 GHz

RAM: 16GB

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Free Space: 868.8 GB + Another 950GB Hard Drvie

Sound Card: AMD High Definition Audio Device

Thanks.

At what graphics? 800 x 600? 3840x 2160? anywhere in-between? anywhere above? what sort of graphics? maxed out? min? whats your budget? £500? £1000? higher? Need more info m8.

Your computer looks pretty solid, beside one thing. Your GPU. I would wait and grab a GTX 980 TI when it hits the shelves in june-september time. preferably the Gigabyte OC 3x Windforce model, there as good as you could want. If they cant run GTA v at 4k maxed out then they wont be far off.

Your processor is about half way between the minimum and the recommended to run GTA V

I searched for your model here-- http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

and it spit out a benchmark score of 4614 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+A8-6600K+APU&id=1946

The minimum processor for the game gave a score on that site of 2993

The recommended processor for the game gave a score on that site of 6563.

I'm not saying you can't run it very well (I don't know)-- I just wanted to provide you with this information so you can make an educated decision.

Also, do you have a solid power supply to power a good card-- some of them have pretty high power requirements-- just something to think of before spending money on a card....

This is the boat I am in... my PC is not a gaming PC but was a business PC with a real good processor-- low end graphic card and only a 260W power supply--- so I can't upgrade my card without buying a new power supply as well.

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

Mine only gets 4267 (AMD Phenom II x4 965) and it handles the game no problem. GTAV isn't really CPU intensive.

Upon further investigation of your GPU, it is apparently an integrated card. If this is indeed the case then it immediately becomes the source of your problem. Integrated cards absolutely awful. Are you using a laptop or a PC? If your using a PC I would make sure your monitor is plugged into your GPU (if you have one) and not your motherboard, because it looks to me like your graphics are motherboard integrated, which is NOT what you want.

Mine only gets 4267 (AMD Phenom II x4 965) and it handles the game no problem. GTAV isn't really CPU intensive.

Good to know-- thanks for checking that...how much RAM are you using (if you don't mind me asking)-- sorry to take this off topic.

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

Corparal_Hazard

At what graphics? 800 x 600? 3840x 2160? anywhere in-between? anywhere above? what sort of graphics? maxed out? min? whats your budget? £500? £1000? higher? Need more info m8.

Your computer looks pretty solid, beside one thing. Your GPU. I would wait and grab a GTX 980 TI when it hits the shelves in june-september time. preferably the Gigabyte OC 3x Windforce model, there as good as you could want. If they cant run GTA v at 4k maxed out then they wont be far off.

1920x1080 would be best but 1280x720 would still be fine.

Upon further investigation of your GPU, it is apparently an integrated card. If this is indeed the case then it immediately becomes the source of your problem. Integrated cards absolutely awful. Are you using a laptop or a PC? If your using a PC I would make sure your monitor is plugged into your GPU (if you have one) and not your motherboard, because it looks to me like your graphics are motherboard integrated, which is NOT what you want.

I am using a PC and I'll have a look :)

Also, I used this site : http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It looks at your components and it already has the minimum and recommended specs on there and it says I need to upgrade graphics card for minimum and graphics card+CPU for recommended.

Also, is this good enough for recommended?? http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX787ACDFC-FX-787A-CDFC/dp/B007MJGMYAand http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-3470-Processor-3-20GHZ-Socket/dp/B0087EVHVW

For minimum the site says: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-AMD-Radeon-HD-4870-X2-2-GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-PCI-Express-x16-GPU-/321703553056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae706a820

If more RAM is needed I have a discount code for 64GB of RAM.

Edited by Corparal_Hazard

Good to know-- thanks for checking that...how much RAM are you using (if you don't mind me asking)-- sorry to take this off topic.

Not at all, will give you the whole lot:

Mobo: Crosshair v Formula Z

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965

GPU: Geforce GTX 780 TI OC GHz 3x Windforce

RAM: 2400 MHZ 8GB

PSU: Corsair TX850W

It looks at your components and it already has the minimum and recommended specs on there and it says I need to upgrade graphics card for minimum and graphics card+CPU for recommended.

Also, is this good enough for recommended?? http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX787ACDFC-FX-787A-CDFC/dp/B007MJGMYAand http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-3470-Processor-3-20GHZ-Socket/dp/B0087EVHVW

For minimum the site says: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-AMD-Radeon-HD-4870-X2-2-GB-GDDR5-SDRAM-PCI-Express-x16-GPU-/321703553056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae706a820

Getting 1080 is easy now, you shouldn't accept anything less, your not a console peasant.

Before you buy anything i would definitely make sure your monitor is plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard.

Dont touch AMD GPU's, there not great, they tend to be way behind Nvidia.

64GB of ram? lol. Anything more then 8GB is utterly pointless for a gamer.

The absolute first thing you need to do is confirm that you are actually using a Graphics card, because i an under the impression your using your motherboard integrated graphics.

As i have no idea how experienced you are with setting up a computer i have to assume you know very little if anything, so bear with me, but my little brother who lives on the other side of the country made this mistake and it was so utterly stupid for someone of his experience with computers it took me 2 months for it to even occur to me he might have done it. Once we got it sorted he went from playing at 800x600 to 3840 x 2160:

pcback.jpg

In the above spoiler is a diagram of the back of a old and basic computer. As you can see, it has a Blue socket labeled VGA, which is on the motherboard. This is the old style of computer graphics connector and is Analogue. The current industry standard is DVI, which is digital, but i digress. If you have a Graphics card, you will have VGA / DVI / HDMI connectors towards the bottom where it is labeled "Expansion Slots" and they will be horizontal, as opposed to the vertical connectors on the motherboard (this is assuming your computer is upright. These are where your monitor "MUST" be connected, otherwise you are not using your Graphics card.

Again, i have to start at the very basic level, so apologies if the above seems condescending in any way, its not my intention. As i said, this could be the root of the whole problem so its important that we establish this is not where the problem lies. If you find that you are indeed using your GPU and not your motherboard integrated graphics then post back with the amount you are willing to spend to upgrade your computer, as that will be the most important thing at that point.

Corparal_Hazard

Getting 1080 is easy now, you shouldn't accept anything less, your not a console peasant.

Before you buy anything i would definitely make sure your monitor is plugged into your GPU and not your motherboard.

64GB of ram? lol. Anything more then 8GB is utterly pointless for a gamer.

The absolute first thing you need to do is confirm that you are actually using a Graphics card, because i an under the impression your using your motherboard integrated graphics.

As i have no idea how experienced you are with setting up a computer i have to assume you know very little if anything, so bear with me, but my little brother who lives on the other side of the country made this mistake and it was so utterly stupid for someone of his experience with computers it took me 2 months for it to even occur to me he might have done it. Once we got it sorted he went from playing at 800x600 to 3840 x 2160:

pcback.jpg

In the above spoiler is a diagram of the back of a old and basic computer. As you can see, it has a Blue socket labeled VGA, which is on the motherboard. This is the old style of computer graphics connector and is Analogue. The current industry standard is DVI, which is digital, but i digress. If you have a Graphics card, you will have VGA / DVI / HDMI connectors towards the bottom where it is labeled "Expansion Slots" and they will be horizontal, as opposed to the vertical connectors on the motherboard (this is assuming your computer is upright. These are where your monitor "MUST" be connected, otherwise you are not using your Graphics card.

Again, i have to start at the very basic level, so apologies if the above seems condescending in any way, its not my intention. As i said, this could be the root of the whole problem so its important that we establish this is not where the problem lies. If you find that you are indeed using your GPU and not your motherboard integrated graphics then post back with the amount you are willing to spend to upgrade your computer, as that will be the most important thing at that point.

OK, so I checked and my main monitor is connected to the blue socket (VGA) and my secondary monitor is connected to what looks like the the Green socket (Serial COM)

So basically what you are telling me is my Graphics card is completely fine?? So can I run GTA 5 if not would do I have to do??

What blue socket? the one on your motherboard or the one on your graphics card? the one that is horizontal or vertical? make sure it is plugged into the sockets that are horizontal where it is labeled "expansion slots". Is it possible for you to take a picture of the back of your computer, upload the image to photobucket or a similar site and post the image here?

Edit:

Below is a picture of the back of my PC. You will notice that i have circled one part in red and put an X and another part in green and put a Tick. The Red circle are the motherboard connecters, these ARE NOT where you want your monitor plugged in. The green circle is the Graphics card and IS where you want your monitor plugged in. Is your monitor plugged into the red circled area or the green circled area?

IMG_0280_zpsgpuvuivx.jpg?t=1430608821

Edited by Nazgren

Corparal_Hazard

What blue socket? the one on your motherboard or the one on your graphics card? the one that is horizontal or vertical? make sure it is plugged into the sockets that are horizontal where it is labeled "expansion slots". Is it possible for you to take a picture of the back of your computer, upload the image to photobucket or a similar site and post the image here?

Edit:

Below is a picture of the back of my PC. You will notice that i have circled one part in red and put an X and another part in green and put a Tick. The Red circle are the motherboard connecters, these ARE NOT where you want your monitor plugged in. The green circle is the Graphics card and IS where you want your monitor plugged in. Is your monitor plugged into the red circled area or the green circled area?

IMG_0280_zpsgpuvuivx.jpg?t=1430608821

OK so I took some pictures, the thing is my PC is vertical under my desk so it was hard to get some good picture but here they are. Both monitors are also there. It didn't allow to post the pictures so here are the links. Sorry for the fact that they are horizontal, my PC is vertical though.

http://imgur.com/GkIZuIM&mj9pgrx#0 <---- MAIN

http://imgur.com/GkIZuIM&mj9pgrx#0 <---- SECONDARY

And here is the Graphics Card:

http://imgur.com/1aZ3FWN

Right, here's the thing. You don't have a video / graphics card. You are using motherboard integrated graphics which is not the same thing and is in no way capable of running GTAV.

The next thing we need to know is what is your budget on buying a graphics card? For example, in the next few months, with September as the last likely date, the GTX 980 TI which is what I'm am waiting for will release which will probably be the best gamer card on the market, if not a close second and its reference model is estimated to ship at £400-£430. This would * very likely* get you running at 4k maxed out, which, don't be under any illusions, is worth the price tag, even on a 1080 monitor. If you are using a dual monitor system which you seem to be from what i have gathered then you are going to need a beefy card like this to get any meaningful level of graphics in a game like GTAV. If this sort of price is fine by you then i would wait for that to release, otherwise name your price and we can work from there.

Corparal_Hazard

This is the recommended graphics card for GTA 5 and this is a good price range between £100-£180. But before I buy any I want to know HOW to make my monitor connected to the graphics card and not motherboard, a video tutorial on youtube would be helpful :lol:

Recommended GC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GTX660-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B0099AOAUI

You don't have a graphics card to connect your monitor to. When you do get a graphics card, it will have sockets to plug your monitor into, like your motherboard does.

I would say that's closer to the minimum card for GTAV. It would most likely only run 720. If it gets 1080 then it will be minimum graphics 1080. I don't believe it would run GTAV dual monitor at all. Are you actually using 2 monitors? you have mentioned secondary monitor at least twice. If this is the case then the card you linked would not be enough, not by a long shot. By using 2 monitors you double the work the GPU must do, which means you need a GPU twice as powerful.

The card you linked is now massively out of date. There are cards that are far more powerful for the same price. this is why you need to be careful when looking at components. For now i need to know if your using 2 monitors or not and what amount you are willing to spend.

Corparal_Hazard

I don't really use my other monitor at all, just when I want to look stuff up while I am playing. But otherwise I don't use it.

The price range would be somewhere around the recommended that I linked last post, around £130 - £200 is very good.

Edited by Corparal_Hazard

Corparal_Hazard

Also, I will try to move my PC up on my desk for some clearer photos if needed.

It's still only 2GB, which is going to hold you back massively. VRAM requirements are due to skyrocket, especially with unreal 4 coming out. A Titan X with 12GB can barely render that at 30 FPS. Within the next 4 months or so, there will be consumer level 6 GB cards, 3x higher then what your looking at and developers will start making games to make use of that 6 GB. Obviously it's up to you, but it sucks to buy a GPU then a few months later need to upgrade it again, believe me, I know.

I would wait for the 980 TI to release, this is because it will drive down the prices of the 970, 980 and many of the others, hopefully to a point that you can afford. Your currently looking at £300-£400 for them, iirc, depending on what version and where you get it, but this will come down when nvidia and AMD release there cards. As they will be competing with each other you may even be able to treat yourself to a 980 TI, but I can't see them being much below £450, if they go below that at all. Depends on how good AMD's card is. But as I said, it's up to you, you linked an ok card for a decent price but I cannot guarantee at all that it will run GTAV, especially not without knowing any of the graphics settings you use. You mentioned 1080, do you want to max out the graphics settings or are you happy with console graphics? If you go a little bit higher price wise you could go up to 4K DSR which even at minimum graphics looks better then 1080 at max and can often run better, depending on the game. But as I said, my recommendation would be to wait till the 980 TI to drive down the price of other GPU's in the next few months, if your willing to wait that long.

Corparal_Hazard

It's still only 2GB, which is going to hold you back massively. VRAM requirements are due to skyrocket, especially with unreal 4 coming out. A Titan X with 12GB can barely render that at 30 FPS. Within the next 4 months or so, there will be consumer level 6 GB cards, 3x higher then what your looking at and developers will start making games to make use of that 6 GB. Obviously it's up to you, but it sucks to buy a GPU then a few months later need to upgrade it again, believe me, I know.

I would wait for the 980 TI to release, this is because it will drive down the prices of the 970, 980 and many of the others, hopefully to a point that you can afford. Your currently looking at £300-£400 for them, iirc, depending on what version and where you get it, but this will come down when nvidia and AMD release there cards. As they will be competing with each other you may even be able to treat yourself to a 980 TI, but I can't see them being much below £450, if they go below that at all. Depends on how good AMD's card is. But as I said, it's up to you, you linked an ok card for a decent price but I cannot guarantee at all that it will run GTAV, especially not without knowing any of the graphics settings you use. You mentioned 1080, do you want to max out the graphics settings or are you happy with console graphics? If you go a little bit higher price wise you could go up to 4K DSR which even at minimum graphics looks better then 1080 at max and can often run better, depending on the game. But as I said, my recommendation would be to wait till the 980 TI to drive down the price of other GPU's in the next few months, if your willing to wait that long.

I do not care at ALL on the settings, if I haver to go minimum settings... fine. If I can go console... fine. Also Running at 1280x720 is good for me, I like that resolution it's fine with me.

I am looking at graphics cards quite a lot and what keywords should I look for? 3gb or more, GeForce, NVidia?

What I think based off what you said this might be good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-Graphics-Card-DDR5/dp/B00IUBV3SO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431277265&sr=8-2&keywords=nvidia+graphics+card+3gb

Also, I would like to be getting the Graphics Card for GTA 5 in June if that helps.

I don't believe the 980 TI will be released by June, so I guess that isn't an option.

The card is probably the best you have linked so far, but it is a very old card, and GTAV is a very new game, I cannot make any guarantees as to how well it will run. It has 3GB VRAM, which is a good start, but as I said, it's an old card. If you are adamant about not going any higher on price that is what I would go for.

Have a go at overclocking, but keep the CPU @ ~3.4GHz or lower so you can boost the gpu speed. Trust me, your GPU is not as weak as you think, its a GCN core built in to the CPU and can reach over 1GHz, which when paired with fast Dual channel RAM makes a decent budget gaming setup for 720p gaming, or even 1080p at low settings on a lot of games.

Corparal_Hazard

I don't believe the 980 TI will be released by June, so I guess that isn't an option.

The card is probably the best you have linked so far, but it is a very old card, and GTAV is a very new game, I cannot make any guarantees as to how well it will run. It has 3GB VRAM, which is a good start, but as I said, it's an old card. If you are adamant about not going any higher on price that is what I would go for.

soooooo... Basically you are saying that if I get that graphics card, unplug my other monitor and I can play GTA 5?? If so, is that graphics able to be overclocked and not... like... destroy it??

Also thanks sooooooooooooo much for all the help man.

I think it should be enough, but I haven't used a card that low end in a long time, certainly never to play anything as demanding as GTAV. I personally despise playing on anything below 4K. No jaggies even without AA is a thing of beauty and very hard to move down from. It is possible that some of your older games may be able to run at 4K DSR. My bro has a 650, which a quick but by no means accurate Google search has only 1GB and he can *more or less* run WoW at 4K, which actually has ok graphics as of WoD, but by no means as resource intensive as GTAV, or maybe even skyrim. If your interested then I can talk you through setting up DSR to give the option for 4k res, which takes 1-2 mins, but grants spectacular results, but it increases the workload for your GPU about 4X, my 780 TI OC can only just do GTAV.

I'm not sure if it's OC'ed, my gigabyte card came OC'ed, but that has OC in the name. I have built my computer with my bare hands, removed and reinstalled bios, blown up PSU's, you name it, but even I'm not man enough to OC, I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft barge pole, but then my card is much more powerful then yours and is factory OC'ed. in my honest opinion it is less hassle to just get a better card then risk burning out the one you already have, especially considering that more times then not, VRAM is the limiting factor, and memory speed OC isn't as good as more memory. Yours has 3GB though, so it is automatically much better then any card with 2GB.

MinnesotaFTW

We found the fanboy you guys!

Also, you don't deserve to be apart of the PC Master Race. Doesn't matter if you play at 1x10 on a PS4, or 3840x2160 on a PC. As long as you believe PC is better, you will be accepted as a Master Racer.