2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How about different engine TYPES?

The Cookie Monster

The Cookie Monster

Such as, let's say, for my Déclassé Granger, I may want full torque for those fun climbs up and around Chiliad and Josiah.

Or, if I only race with it, a powerful, lower torque, better acceleration and overall speed engine.

The same could go for other cars like classics, such as the Tornado.

Uhh generally speaking a lower torque engine won't provide better acceleration... A gearing option might be better perhaps, with 3 options as "top speed", "acceleration", and "balanced" would make more sense.

Would be nice to see something like that though but I think that would be far too complicated for the general fanbase that is borderline mentally handicapped.

This is the modern era of gaming after all. Make everything shinier than the previous one and get rid of all that depth so that the unwashed masses can sit and stare and drool instead of use their brain.

Misanthrope Z

what Morbid said

but the option to have manual transmissions would be pretty cool too.

manual transmissions could actually be a bit of a game changer in races if they were executed properly.

The Cookie Monster

Uhh generally speaking a lower torque engine won't provide better acceleration... A gearing option might be better perhaps, with 3 options as "top speed", "acceleration", and "balanced" would make more sense.

No.

Exactly.

I never said lower torque means better acceleration.

Damn GTAForum members always ass-uming sh¡t...

Yes, of course balanced.

There wouldn't be both high torque and acceleration like we ALREADY stupidly have on super cars that can climb a vertical wall whereas my Ford Explorer can't even climb the kerb...

hesselgren

yes i sign up for performence upgrades that actually makes sense.

lower AND higher suspension (you dont upgrade a offroader by lowering it)

different gear ratios and an option to pop it into manual (gamechanger for rockclimbing and perhaps drifting)

option to change damping of the shocks

size of wheels and tyres.

change "turbo" to supercharger on classic V8 cars

this is just over the top for a all around game thats not actually a racing game, but anyway, one can wish

Uncle Sikee Atric

There are different engine types within car models.... I can imagine many vehicles having lower specs engines and not everybody drives a race car every day, even though it looks like on parked at the side of the road.

For instance, the Rat-Loader.... You see it every time with a fat V8 under the hood / bonnet (I am english) but when they were first issued new, the vast majority would have been straight 6 engines as it was cheaper, although slower, but then, it was a farm truck and utility vehicle and would have been perfectly acceptable....

So why doesn't this happen in game as well? The vast majority of NPC vehicles are lower spec and lower engine specced vehicles, but every now and again you see one with the subtle differences that denote it as a higher spec alternative. It would vastly improve the traffic differences overnight, rather than the 'modded' spec you see rarely. It would also add vastly to the customs scene as some would want their car to look lower spec, but be absolute speed machines (wolf in sheep's clothing syndrome).

I know the coding would be vast to produce, but maybe later GTA games and PC realism modders could take note.

MOaRJRr.jpg

I never said lower torque means better acceleration.

Damn GTAForum members always ass-uming sh¡t...

Or, if I only race with it, a powerful, lower torque, better acceleration and overall speed engine.

You tied them together with that comment... Frankly it sounds to me like you don't have a clue what torque is or how it relates to the performance of a vehicle, but I was trying to be nice...

Generally speaking a "better acceleration engine" would be an engine with more torque, assuming the engine is the only variable you are considering.

There wouldn't be both high torque and acceleration like we ALREADY stupidly have on super cars that can climb a vertical wall whereas my Ford Explorer can't even climb the kerb...

Torque isn't what is letting the supercars climb mountains, it's the silly amounts of traction they have on grass/dirt, mixed with the fact that the game doesn't take into account the resistance that such low cars would have from grass and that the cars often clip through the ground a bit so their low approach angles don't work against them nearly as much as they would in the real world, and that they don't take any real damage from bouncing around/bottoming out so there is no reason not to hammer them through the rough terrain.

Although you don't really seem to understand what you are trying to talk about, you are trying to look at it from a far too realistic angle. To put it flat, the physics in this game are wonky as ****. Motorcycles push helicopters around with no effort, small FWD hatchbacks can push AWD SUVs, the traction model is completely unrealistic, and the suspension model is garbage. You can't apply some logic to fix the "problem" as the game's physics do not follow logic.

• Like 2

torque is important to a sports car also. i dont understand what you lot are getting at with the torque talk. You're average V8 would have more torque then you're average 4WD.

GTA 4 had cars with different specs the sultan for example i think there were at least two (maybe 3) different versions the RS and just the plain old sultan.

but for the amount of work i figure we would need for these forza type mods, i would rather get other dlc. (like the other islands from GTA:SA.

^ I assume that's a typo and you mean "4 cyl" instead of 4WD?

The drivetrain configuration would be totally independent of the engine configuration, and other than parasitic loss, drivetrain configuration has nothing to do with the torque output of a vehicle...

The drivetrain configuration would be totally independent of the engine configuration, and other than parasitic loss, drivetrain configuration has nothing to do with the torque output of a vehicle...

dont be a dropkick.

why would i be talking about a 4 cylinder? and im not refering to the drivetrain as much as i am the vehicle type. maybe i should have been more specific and said off-road vehicle or 4x4's and 4x2's.

use you're brain.

Edited by DMC14

use you're brain.

lol

You are comparing an engine to an entire type of vehicle? Unless you think a "V8" is a type of vehicle...?

Before any engine swaps we need a manual transmission first, I'm tired of squeakers in their F*ck ugly super cars being able to keep up with the good players just because it's literally that easy, the day manual transmission arrives is the day squeakers get left in the dust.

After that it should be real suspension upgrades, ie lift kits for off roaders and a suspension that can actually be lowered by preference and not by heights that the game gives you.

Next comes tires. Right now High end tires don't make much of a difference compared to tuner or muscle tires, they should make it like IRL, high profile tires have more traction but handle slightly worse while low profile tires handle better but have less traction. I also think that the type of wheel shouldn't dictate the type of tires you have, a new category, 'tires', should be added that simply allows you to put any type of tire on your car, for example with this option you could have Rally master rims with low profile tires on a Sultan (not that you would want that ;)).

And last but not least engines. The way I see it pretty much every car in the game has immense torque seeing as most cars can scale mountains with no trouble, my solution would be adding a new section to LSC which would allow us to drop a different engine into our cars, obviously to prevent some cars from becoming extremely OP there would be limitations. Certain car categories could only swap in certain types of engines.

Restrictions:

Categories like Compacts and coupes wouldn't be able to swap in Supercar engines, those would only be available to sports (Penumbra, Sultan and Futo excluded since they're practically coupes in the wrong class). Muscle could have anything, their massive engine bays have to count for something, the only engines that wouldn't be availble are the ones from the very powerful supers like the Adder, Entity XF and Turismo R, a much better rule would be that no car that can go over 220mph (according to in game websites) would be able to have it's engine swapped into another car, basically what I'm saying is that the engines from the Cheetah and Infernus would be that best possible swaps which IMO would work out pretty well since they're still pretty fast but some sports cars can keep up with them.

Edited by BigJoe_1
  • Like 2

Different gear ratios would be fun to play about with as long as it didn't cost $50,000 every time you wanted to change it.

Edit: ^ Shame you don't work at R* BigJoe.

Edited by Nacho Z

Different gear ratios would be fun to play about with as long as it didn't cost $50,000 every time you wanted to change it.

Edit: ^ Shame you don't work at R* BigJoe.

Gear ratio tuning would be amazing but I suspect that R* are unaware of how rev ranges and shifting aftually works.

Mattoropael

Cars need to reach their advertised top speed and acceleration performance before they get any non-essential "realism" updates.

And last but not least engines. The way I see it pretty much every car in the game has immense torque seeing as most cars can scale mountains with no trouble, my solution would be adding a new section to LSC which would allow us to drop a different engine into our cars, obviously to prevent some cars from becoming extremely OP there would be limitations. Certain car categories could only swap in certain types of engines.

Not sure where this "too much torque" talk is coming from... All the torque in the world doesn't make much of a difference if you can't put it to the ground, and that's the main problem: too much traction for all the vehicles (along with help from the other things I mentioned above).

Edited by -Morbid-

Uncle Sikee Atric

Before any engine swaps we need a manual transmission first, I'm tired of squeakers in their F*ck ugly super cars being able to keep up with the good players just because it's literally that easy, the day manual transmission arrives is the day squeakers get left in the dust.

After that it should be real suspension upgrades, ie lift kits for off roaders and a suspension that can actually be lowered by preference and not by heights that the game gives you.

Next comes tires. Right now High end tires don't make much of a difference compared to tuner or muscle tires, they should make it like IRL, high profile tires have more traction but handle slightly worse while low profile tires handle better but have less traction. I also think that the type of wheel shouldn't dictate the type of tires you have, a new category, 'tires', should be added that simply allows you to put any type of tire on your car, for example with this option you could have Rally master rims with low profile tires on a Sultan (not that you would want that ;)).

Restrictions:

Categories like Compacts and coupes wouldn't be able to swap in Supercar engines, those would only be available to sports (Penumbra, Sultan and Futo excluded since they're practically coupes in the wrong class). Muscle could have anything, their massive engine bays have to count for something, the only engines that wouldn't be availble are the ones from the very powerful supers like the Adder, Entity XF and Turismo R, a much better rule would be that no car that can go over 220mph (according to in game websites) would be able to have it's engine swapped into another car, basically what I'm saying is that the engines from the Cheetah and Infernus would be that best possible swaps which IMO would work out pretty well since they're still pretty fast but some sports cars can keep up with them.

I want to add to tyres and suspension if we are going that deep....

I want to be able to adjust camber on the tyres and suspension as that can affect handling in very precise ways. It would also allow for the creation of true drift cars to allow another race class to form.

I love going around corners sideways.... :)

MOaRJRr.jpg

Man, you guys are doing some wishing up in here lol.

Seems a lack of knowledge about automobiles is common in these forums.

I am all for more options in LSC, but based on what we have, I say anything added will probably be simple. What I would realistically say could be added-

Engine "swaps"

What this would do is basically adjust the vehicles stats to the vehicle of which the engine came from.

So for example:

Declasse Tornado

Engine 1: Sabre Turbo

Engine 2: Vigero

So, what happens is, the Tornados top speed changes to that of one of the above cars. Acceleration improves, but adjusted according to the cars weight.

Most importantly, the sound changes to that of the new engine. No models need to be changed.

use you're brain.

lol

You are comparing an engine to an entire type of vehicle? Unless you think a "V8" is a type of vehicle...?

your still not using it.

i wrote out sh*t trying to explain it to you but f*ck that (so i deleted it and wrote this instead), you're a dumb f*ck, believe what you want, comprehend it how ever you want.

Chloroform

What the hell is going on in here? Your average v8 has more torque then your average 4wd vehicle? Non car guys, please don't talk cars.

EDIT: sorry I had to edit my post DMC, I saw that you liked it. The second sentence wasn't a statement, it was suppose to be rhetorical.

Edited by Chloroform

Chloroform

I've been playing Forza for the my first time recently and was impressed with all the performance upgrades you can give your cars, you can even convert RWD into AWD which is something I would really like to see in GTA (I'm looking at you, Banshee).

The amount of options is immense and, unlike GTA, it's not all about choosing the "fastest" or the "best" upgrade, you have to experiment a bit and find what works best for you. Should I put all the upgrades on and make my car S2 class, or hold the reins a bit and keep it S1? It makes racing a whole lot more fun instead of driving either the Zentorno or Adder with the same upgrades that everyone else uses.

For example, if I want to enter my Vacca into a race, I'm going to have a hard time, even with all the upgrades, because half the others have better cars. There is no way to make my car any better or get on their level even though we are in the same class. I'm pretty much forced to get out my Zentorno whenever I want to race, making it boring and restricted.

If R* wants "dynamic" races they should implement something similar to this. But, like you said, "I think that would be far too complicated for the general fanbase that is borderline mentally handicapped."

I don't intend to sound elitist or superior or whatever, but it really is a shame that R* feels the need to cater to the simple minded players (casuals, as some might like to call them). Just this small addition would make the game so much better.

The problem with Forza the upgrades are unrealstic. And I have a few problems with that. I'm a huge Mopar fun, you can swap the RWD system out of a Viper and make it AWD BUT I can't swap the RWD setup in the Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 to make it AWD. To me that is completly idiotic but since it's a video game I let it slide, even tho it's a sim. It would be awesome if GTA has some kind of upgrade system like this, would keep the game fresh but it's rockstar, you'll see less sh*t people want that will fill up the updates.

use you're brain.

lol

your still not using it.

i wrote out sh*t trying to explain it to you but f*ck that (so i deleted it and wrote this instead), you're a dumb f*ck, believe what you want, comprehend it how ever you want.

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense. And before you tell me to use my brain, I do on a daily basis. I've been around/working on cars since I was 8ish and I'm 30 now. So that's 22 years of experience, over your???

Edited by Chloroform

Datguy8925

What buttons are you gonna assign to change gears if you guys want manual transmission?

The controller is already used up.

• Like 1

LeAuxChord

realistically the farthest R* would ever really take this is the manual transmissions. And as for engine swaps. The ratloader is as good as its gonna get. And I would love to see gear ratios( or any kind of tuning really) and drive-train swaps as much as the next guy but these are things they dint even incorporate in their own racing game. sh*t if they added a supercharger, even if it did behave like a turbo, but it whined like a supercharger instead, id be happy.

Willfredts

Bottom line is that this is too complicated for people who either don't know anything about cars or are kids who don't drive.

Chloroform

Bottom line is that this is too complicated for people who either don't know anything about cars or are kids who don't drive.

I think it more about people that don't know sh*t about cars. You don't need to drive them to understand them. I mean no one has been at the center of the Earth but for the most part we know about it. I could have came up with something better but I'm tired.

We Are Ninja

First and foremost, this is GTA, not Forza. Let us remember that there was no car modification at all (outside of whatever randomness the Pay and Spray decided to spew out) in GTA IV/TLAD/TBOGT. So the current system, while far from perfect, is pretty damned good by comparison.

torque is important to a sports car also. i dont understand what you lot are getting at with the torque talk. You're average V8 would have more torque then you're average 4WD.

GTA 4 had cars with different specs the sultan for example i think there were at least two (maybe 3) different versions the RS and just the plain old sultan.

but for the amount of work i figure we would need for these forza type mods, i would rather get other dlc. (like the other islands from GTA:SA.

dont be a dropkick.

why would i be talking about a 4 cylinder? and im not refering to the drivetrain as much as i am the vehicle type. maybe i should have been more specific and said off-road vehicle or 4x4's and 4x2's.

use you're brain.

Morbid is absolutely right. You were comparing an engine configuration to a drivetrain. You can have a V8 in a 4WD vehicle. Had you said that the average V8 would have more torque than the average I4, that'd have made a lot more sense. But there are plenty of 4WD off-road vehicles and AWD supercars that make asphalt-rippling amounts of torque. It's what makes them off-road capable and super (respectively)...

• Like 2

LeAuxChord

This might be a good thing. Imagine if they implemented some sort of tuning into the game, or or any kind of somewhat in-depth real world car mechanics. Then you'd have kids like TC9700 on YouTube who's car knowledge doesn't go anywhere beyond forza(or gta for this matter) but act like a know it all when it comes to vehicle mechanics. Thats just more sh*t to argue about on this forum.

Chloroform - you always bring up age, im older then you. go to the vehicle section see my car, what have you rebuilt? next time you see one of my posts you dont agree with or dont understand just keep moving along and ignore it.

Morbid - my original post was supposed to support what you said in your op.

the other one - f*ck off idiot.

i have used the term 4wd in reference and to abreviate offroad vehicle, 4x4 and 4x2.

i picked the V8 engine as it is commonly found these days in sporty vehicles and traditionaly has large amounts of torque. yes they are found in 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and off road vehicles. (outside of america its not as common for a factory 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and offroaders to have one, yeah there is plenty of conversations).

then i compared them to show that a sports car usually would have more or the similar torque figures when compared to a 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and offroaders (isnt it easier to just say 4wd or 4b as most people would say).

my car is faster then chloroforms ROTAR POWER

We Are Ninja

...the other one - f*ck off idiot.

582031.gif

i have used the term 4wd in reference and to abreviate offroad vehicle, 4x4 and 4x2... isnt it easier to just say 4wd or 4b as most people would say?

Probably not, because then it wouldn't have taken several posts before everyone understood what you actually meant...

Edited by We Are Ninja

Chloroform

Chloroform - you always bring up age, im older then you. go to the vehicle section see my car, what have you rebuilt? next time you see one of my posts you dont agree with or dont understand just keep moving along and ignore it.

Morbid - my original post was supposed to support what you said in your op.

the other one - f*ck off idiot.

i have used the term 4wd in reference and to abreviate offroad vehicle, 4x4 and 4x2.

i picked the V8 engine as it is commonly found these days in sporty vehicles and traditionaly has large amounts of torque. yes they are found in 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and off road vehicles. (outside of america its not as common for a factory 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and offroaders to have one, yeah there is plenty of conversations).

then i compared them to show that a sports car usually would have more or the similar torque figures when compared to a 4wd, 4x4, 4x2 and offroaders (isnt it easier to just say 4wd or 4b as most people would say).

my car is faster then chloroforms ROTAR POWER

I brought up age because of my experience I have with cars. You lack common knowledge about vehicles, that was my point. Your comparison makes absolutely no sense, not to the people that know a thing or two about vehicles and how they work. Don't get upset at me because you don't know what you're talking about.

What have I rebuilt? That would be along list guy. I don't care about you being older than I. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing, it's all about experience. If you read my comment you would understand that was my point. My 22 years of working around/on vehicles trumps what you read off the Internet. Also if you have a Mazda product, it's not "rotar" power, it's rotary powered. Another common mistake on your part. And please just stop trying to talk cars.