2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Possible stuttering fix! (Tested in Steam version - patch 350.1)

Smiler-Online

Smiler-Online

Version: 'Steam - patch 350.1'.

Tests done in GTAOnline.

A lot of users have been reporting that their game has been stuttering even though they have high end hardware specs but some users on low end hardware had better/more stable performance.

I have disabled my routers firewall and now I no longer experience those frequent stutters,

Also my immediate frame rate when I entered the game went up by 10-15fps higher than usual with this fix, but I think that the more stable frame rates make the biggest difference.

I tried the following tests to try and see if I could trigger the stuttering again just to be sure that this has fixed the stuttering:

1: Drove from south to north (through middle of map).

2: Continued to drive for 24hrs(game time not real time of course) with clear sky's and rain (though only rained during the day time and not night time).

3: Completed a mission and then re-entered free mode, then drove from south to north again.

4: Even went as far as to increase graphics to bring my fps down to around 30fps, but it still remained very stable (no frequent stuttering).

So to conclude, the stuttering may be a direct result of bad router settings/router based firewall being enabled.

My network speeds are typically ~105Mbps(Down)/6Mbps(Up) and there was no noticeable change on 'speedtest.net' before and after, so I assume net speeds aren't the issue here, it is strictly router firewall related, and I would assume that Rockstar have good router settings on site, so that may explain why they didn't experience these same stutters and thought that it was stable enough to release.

Anyway just putting this out there in case it may help more GTAV-PC players! :)

Edited by Smiler-Online

r0llinlacs

That's common knowledge. If you have a bunch of sh** running you can basically expect problems with any game. AV software is the worst offender.

totte1015

How the f*ck can the game stutter that much if you play SINGLEplayer?

And also, why does this start to happen now???

Smiler-Online

That's common knowledge. If you have a bunch of sh** running you can basically expect problems with any game. AV software is the worst offender.

The 'Router Firewall' is not the same as 'Windows Firewall'. For a start it doesn't run on Windows.

@totte1015:

This game (Even in singleplayer) seems to require frequent network access, obviously you only have to look at how quick the RSSC online stats are updated for anything you do in singleplayer.

So just to explain. As a developer myself, I know that if the software is not coded very well, continuously retrying to upload/download a packet from the web when it keeps failing (maybe because it has been blocked by a bad router firewall) can impact overall performance/user experience.

A poorly designed router firewall may detect several repetitive attempts to connect to the same IP and start to block some of those those frequent events as the badly written code detects that as malicious.

I hope this may have cleared some things up and explained why I had my suspicions that this may have been the cause of many peoples stuttering.

I would have expected R* to have developed better network related code by now, and tested the software under similar conditions to this, as most users never change router settings, its not typically something that most gamers know how to fix.

PS:

Most routers can be configured through an IP address like the following: http://192.168.0.1/ but if that IP address doesn't work, you may have to Google the name of your router to find out how to access the config screen.

Good luck guys.

I hope to see less users stuttering online soon! :)

Edited by Smiler-Online

RedIndianRobin

What if my modem doesn't has firewall in the first place? :lol: No this is not the solution.

Smiler-Online

What if my modem doesn't has firewall in the first place? :lol: No this is not the solution.

If it is only a modem and you don't have a router I'm guessing that its an old/very slow connection you have anyway, which may also have some affect on network access times.

Also, I'm not suggesting that this will let you play with Max settings at a constant 60fps, but simply this has stopped me from experiencing the stutters that usually started after playing for a short while (~15-20 mins).

totte1015

So... I have a D-link, and this has checkboxes:

APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY (ALG) CONFIGURATION PPTP : IPSec (VPN) : RTSP : SIP :

Which one do I disable to get this working?

Hmm,what if I physically disconnet the net connection(pull the wire out,or disable the wifi adapter,or turn off the power of the router) Are these net-codes still a problem?

Just ask,because I have the game installed on a PC which hardly connect to the net in order to improve the overall performance.

Smiler-Online

@UMDKing:

It doesn't necessarily stop the software from attempting to establish a connection, which may also have an affect on performance.

Edited by Smiler-Online

Smiler-Online

So... I have a D-link, and this has checkboxes:

APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY (ALG) CONFIGURATION PPTP : IPSec (VPN) : RTSP : SIP :

Which one do I disable to get this working?

I would recommend that you search for discussions about improving your router model's performance and check what many others have found to be the best configuration for your router model.

There may even be other things to consider whilst you are configuring the router which may improve you overall web experience which could be helpful! :)

Here is my config:

firewall_zpsm6j5iqqa.png

I can't seem to find a firewall on my Router. I guess it doesn't have one, despite being so new.

Smiler-Online

I can't seem to find a firewall on my Router. I guess it doesn't have one, despite being so new.

I'd suggest that you just Google your routers model name anyway and see if you can find any discussions that may talk about better optimisation, or even if it is time to upgrade to something a little higher spec (though I'm not suggesting that yours is low spec).

Its also worth checking if there is a firmware upgrade available which may require you to manually flash it.

Edited by Smiler-Online

How the f*cking f*ck does DISABLING ROUTER FIREWALL which is RUNNING on a completelly different hardware INDEPENDETLY ON YOUR computer suppossed to fix STUTTERING AND FRAME RATE ISSUES?

I am totally FURIOUS!

It this a SICK TROLL post or A JOKE?

And THEN YOU SAY, you are a SOFTWARE DEVELOPER?!??!

Okay I am done. I am freakin done. That is it. This is going to 9gag. I have seen a lot of sh*t but this is a new record.

Stupidity has no limits.

Edited by erik9631

Smiler-Online

How the f*cking f*ck does DISABLING ROUTER FIREWALL which is RUNNING on a completelly different hardware INDEPENDETLY ON YOUR computer suppossed to fix STUTTERING AND FRAME RATE ISSUES?

I am totally FURIOUS!

Okay I am done. I am freakin done. That is it. This is going to 9gag. I have seen a lot of sh*t but this is a new record.

Stupidity has no limits.

Lol, such an uneducated comment xD

Remember that every time your computer connects the the web it has to use the hardware inside your computer to process that command, run through those algorithms and obviously, if it has to keep on repeating the same code until it has sent/received the package successfully then that will use up more processing power than it would if it was just sent/received immediately with no fails.

Smiler-Online

Why is Online more stable than Singleplayer?

Who suggested that?

I haven't tried single player mode for over a week so I cannot confirm if this fix affects single player mode, but I can say that even in single player the game tries to communicate with RSSC servers, which may potentially affect single player performance too.

I am totally FURIOUS!

Stupidity has no limits.

Lol, such an uneducated comment xD

Remember that every time your computer connects the the web it has to use the hardware inside your computer to process that command, run through those algorithms and obviously, if it has to keep on repeating the same code until it has sent/received the package successfully then that will use up more processing power than it would if it was just sent/received immediately with no fails.

Uneducated comment! Holy mother of god.

First you have absolutely no idea how networking works, you have absolutely no idea what is inside the computer, you are simply referring to it by calling it hardware, and you are calling an instruction a command. You are then assuming that a computer is DOSING it is own network.

Simply said, you do not know jack sh*t about computer science. You are just a kid with inferiority complex and egocentric views.

Data is going through your network adapter either internal or external which is located on your motherboard. Computer is only sending and receiving data. Nothing more. It MIGHT slow the computer down if the amount of data was huge and it would have to be stored. Even in that case it would be only eating up the HDD. If you are torrenting and sending/recieving a large chunks of data it would also eat up RAM because it is caching the files. But with all these things combined the amount of resources being taken is un-noticeable on a computer that is able to run Gta V. You would have to be running a data center to impact performance of your computer.

The entire routing process is going on in the router itself processing the PDU and sending it to the desired network. Disabling router firewall is the last thing that would help performance of the ROUTER let alone the PERFORMANCE OF YOUR COMPUTER. Actually router firewall only filters out traffic you do not want. There is absolutely no connection between the things you have said.

If network and computers worked as you described networks would not work. Everything would be flooded, data would not know where to go..

You are hilarious, you are stupid, you are an uneducated maggot with IQ equal to the charcoal briquette. What you have said makes absolutely no sense. I am so astonished by your stupidity that I can not find a proper word in my arsenal to describe how I feel.

I can guarantee you that everyone that has read your posts now have a serious headache because of your mass stupidity. You don't even know what components a computer has. Also, adding XD at the start of your comment and calling me uneducated just makes you look more dumb than you already are. Please go back to middle school because you clearly dropped out and have little to no education whatsoever. Actually, they wouldn't want you back so kindly just dig a hole and bury yourself because I'm sure no one would notice you're gone.

Edited by erik9631

sivispacem

Disabling a firewall on an external piece of hardware will make absolutely no difference to ingame FPS. Suggesting it would is simply baffling; the network-layer processing done by a PC to communicate out and receive communications back is exactly the same whether or not an external router is running a firewall. Suggesting otherwise implies complete ignorance to the basic protocols of network communications and a laughable understanding of the concept of routing.

Also, disabling your router firewall is generally very stupid. Disabling any firewall is usually pretty stupid, but router stupidest of all given most of them are configured for remote access up to and including flashing new firmware onto them, and it's the firewall rules and related ACL which set the whitelist for what remote hosts will be allowed to connect in and perform these steps.

The irony being the bullsh*t "software engineer" has the audacity to call the only person in the thread who confronted him for his utterly incoherent crap "uneducated". The mind boggles.

• Like 5

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4