1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

I need some help with my PC build, please.

I SHADOWFOX I

I SHADOWFOX I

Okay I've searched for a topic and I couldn't find one, or I'm just stupid. But I know you guys are very knowledgeable about PCs and I am not...at all. I just need some suggestions on what to upgrade and what to leave alone to get GTAV running smooth and crispy. I am trying to transition from Xbox to PC, so I want it to be better than the Xbox version at least.

Here's what I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-essentio-desktop-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/5818029.p?id=1219159703153&skuId=5818029

Here's my issues: one, I never intended to play games on my PC, so I didn't go out looking for a gaming rig, but I have slowly more and more began to do so. Two, as stated before I know nothing of the internals of a PC, so I don't know if anything I have on my PC is ample enough or not. Lastly, I tried to mess with the graphics and i barley can run it 1920 x 1080(everything else on normal) with it almost capping out the video memory. The current settings I have are in the red. So that's the situation.

I'm not exactly looking to run full blown max settings, just better than what I've been playing on my Console. If anyone of you could help me with suggestions to any or all aspects of my PC to get more video memory, or what else I would need to capitalize this game I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks again.

Edit: budget wise, I'm good as long as it not insanely expensive.

Edited by I SHADOWFOX I

A budget estimate would be helpful.

Your computer has very respectable specs on it's own. 12GB of RAM is more than a lot of us have. The CPU is an i7, which is top of line sh*t. The graphics card(the source of the video memory) is a solid card, but it's not quite enough for V. The graphics card would be what you want to upgrade, so get back to me with your budget range and I'll find you a good card. And help you with installing it if you like.

Edited by Deminu
  • Like 2

I SHADOWFOX I

ah duh, I'm good on the budget, just got a promotion.

The first thing people have to do before migrating to PC is to research. Here's some handy tips:

1. Always avoid buying prebuilts. Avoid it like the plague. They're such a rip-off that people paid over $1K for a PC that barely plays Minecraft.

2. Like I said, research. There's a lot of PC builder Youtubers like Linus Tech Tips, or Tek Syndicate, JayzTwoCents, etc.

3. Learn to identify your PC components. You're not going anywhere when you can't even identify its guts.

• Like 3

ah duh, I'm good on the budget, just got a promotion.

:p What does that mean? You down to drop a thousand dollars on a GTX Titan?

The first thing people have to do before migrating to PC is to research. Here's some handy tips:

1. Always avoid buying prebuilts. Avoid it like the plague. They're such a rip-off that people paid over $1K for a PC that barely plays Minecraft.

2. Like I said, research. There's a lot of PC builder Youtubers like Linus Tech Tips, or Tek Syndicate, JayzTwoCents, etc.

3. Learn to identify your PC components. You're not going anywhere when you can't even identify its guts.

This person already has a prebuild, and a very nice one aswell. It's a bit overpriced, but it's got respectable specs.

This person already has a prebuild, and a very nice one aswell. It's a bit overpriced, but it's got respectable specs.

What I simply hate is that they didn't show what i7 it actually got, and Mini-PCIe worries me.

What I simply hate is that they didn't show what i7 it actually got, and Mini-PCIe worries me.

If you scroll down just a bit you'll see they do..

Most motherboards have Mini, the graphics card is plugged into a standard PCI slot most likely.

Edit: budget wise, I'm good as long as it not insanely expensive.

A ball park figure still wouldnt hurt, everyone has their own idea of what expensive is.

PCMasterRace46

Gtx 960 would be a good fit for you. $200 online shop around.

Ouch promotion to 898$ instead 999.99$ (just this initial price is a joke) for a i7 4970S (typical from major retailers), and a nvidia GTX 750 (1gb), and 12Gb RAM 1366Mzh likely. the only one thing good is the brandname. Asus made good stuff (fortunately when we see their poor after sales service).
Don't buy it, it's overpriced !
This PC should cost around 500$.

Just for example from http://choosemypc.net

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.95 @ OutletPC)
Total: $824.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-01 10:04 EDT-0400

I've quickly verified, this config looks ok.
You may change the graphic card (the R9 280 is good but if you have the budget you can choose a better graphic card), SSD, the CPU fan (if you think overclock your CPU) and the PSU (power supply) already very good, EVGA is a good brand, but may be limited if you overclock your CPU (and/or your future graphic card)= The same 80+ PSU for 600w would be better.
It's just an example, this list give you a good start to choose your components.
Edited by Thalyn

Wouldnt go with a single dimm of ram and my experiences with Seagate had me swear them off for life ^_^ Otherwise, as you said a good place to start.

Altho it does seem the OP is looking to get what hes already bought more game worthy.

Ill say this much, the current GPU you have is sticking out like a sore thumb and Im curious about your mobo, it says max supported RAM is 16GB? Thats some OEM specific sh*t if its true.

The least expensive PC, which'd be able to play most games easily would be:-

Intel Pentium G3258

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

Nvidia GTX750Ti or the AMD R7 250/250x.

Yep, it's cheap, well, really cheap. Yet, it can handle almost every game.

And yes, as Kampret said, do a bit of research. It will always help you. :)

And stay away from pre-built PCs.

Edited by Kevin3014

Didn't OP say he already has the computer he posted? That computer is perfectly fine for GTA5. The only thing you need to upgrade if you don't get good graphics/fps is the graphics card. Everything else is fine.

Didn't OP say he already has the computer he posted?

Yeah. As some people have said already, a graphics card is what you need. With a 970 you will be set for a few years but a 960 will be fine as well if you don't want to spend that much money. Just beware of the power supply. It might be quite dodgy if it came in a pre-built computer. Edited by Andreaz1

I SHADOWFOX I

Alright guys I thank you for your input, I'll look into it.

Mods, you can lock this if you'd like I got what I was looking for. Thanks again guys.