2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Who else thought the charaters were two dimensional? (SPOILERS)

Niteye

The whole topic is pretty much a spoiler so be warned

I've finished the single player campaign, and I realised that the one thing that's missing is any sensible characters.

The entire game I've been doing missions with a thick-headed gangsta hopelessly stuck in the past, refusing to do anything remotely beneficial, because that's how gangsters roll.

And two feds with douchebag-levels who are way off the charts, that even the main characters can't stand.

The only likeable characters to hang out with are evidently the playable ones. Trevor's crazy but what he really wanted was to get his crew and friend back, all the while michael was just thinking of ways to out him.

In GTA4 for instance, many of the mission-givers were friends, they all were unique and had their own way of reasoning with things. Random characters would be meeting people from past missions and seeing what became of them.

In GTA5, I'm doing missions for douchebags with unmeasurable egos or kids getting into trouble because they're too stupid to think or even live, and random characters are vain sluts or psychotic guys asking for a ride.

Not to mention the ending, the douchebags rings the doorbell and asks you to kill the playable characters. Quite literally, no build-up, no nothing. To me there is was not any sensible incentive for it, there really was only one real ending and that was the Death wish one.

Edited by Niteye

ThunderBanana

It's set in a fictional Los Angeles, so the stereotypical douchebags with insane egos are to be expected.

I just finished it yday for the first time (btw, dafuq 43mins of credits o.O)

Not sure Im with you on the build-up part, it wasnt a secret thats the way that was going to go. I did like the options, and its one of the very rare games I plan to run thru again.

I did early on think Lester was going to double cross them all, but about a 1/3 of the way into the game I read about how to make the mega money and obviously that squashed that theory. There were a few more story points I didnt think were played out very well, and I'd have easily opted to off the feds when the 'one-last-mission' spiel started to feel like deja vu.

I do admit, not that many likeable characters. Trevor is easily my favourite.

(Oh, and also as for GTA4, yup more likeable characters, but it was really annoying when people wanted to consantly hang out and I had to taxi everyone)

Edited by swirler

Toasterchan

In my opinion I think Michael, Trevor and Franklin were two dimensional.

Son of Zeus

None of the characters in this game are memorable. I don't think we'll ever see legendary characters like Ken Rosenberg, Big Smoke and Roman Bellic again. But of course I'd like to be proved wrong in the next GTA.

• Like 2

In my opinion I think Michael, Trevor and Franklin were two dimensional.

Going by your sig, Id say you work pretty well with 2D :devil:

Fuzzknuckles

I wouldn't say they were one-dimensional, but they were definitely all forgettable. I've never really gotten attached to any GTA protag beyond Claude, because he allowed the player to attach their own story to him. Being a mute really worked. Every protag since then has been pretty dull IMO, especially Tommy V and Johnny K. Absolutely dull as dish water.

V's guys are just kind of mediocre, nothing special. Apart from Trevor, who is just f*cking awful.

• Like 1
Signatures are dumb anyway.

Algonquin Assassin

Coming to think about it one of the most interesting characters is Marnie. At first I didn't realise it was her, but it's funny how she changed from being a crack whore in GTA IV to being apart of the Epsilon Program. Trading one addiction for another.

Out of the main cast Lester is the only one I can tolerate. Others that had potential like Madrazo were completely ruined.

• Like 1

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Fuzzknuckles

Coming to think about it one of the most interesting characters is Marnie. At first I didn't realise it was her, but it's funny how she changed from being a crack whore in GTA IV to being apart of the Epsilon Program. Trading one addiction for another.

Out of the main cast Lester is the only one I can tolerate. Others that had potential like Madrazo were completely ruined.

Lester's probably my favourite GTA character of all time. He's weird, alone and ultimately the only one with any brains in the whole game. He's up there with Truth and Mike Toreno for me.

Oh yeah. Mike Toreno.

The shadowy agent we did missions for... essentially the same as working for the agencies in V... which is one of the bigger gripes about V... Selective memories around here!

AzelfandQuilava

Lester's probably my favourite GTA character of all time. He's weird, alone and ultimately the only one with any brains in the whole game. He's up there with Truth and Mike Toreno for me.

Oh yeah. Mike Toreno.

The shadowy agent we did missions for... essentially the same as working for the agencies in V... which is one of the bigger gripes about V... Selective memories around here!

The difference being that Mike gave CJ a gift for doing all that stuff. Haines gave nothing.

Algonquin Assassin

He's weird

I can see now why you like him fuzzy knuckles.

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

PhillBellic

Oh yeah. Mike Toreno.

The difference being that Mike gave CJ a gift for doing all that stuff. Haines gave nothing.

And Toreno's missions did not take up most of the story.

Fuzzknuckles

Oh yeah. Mike Toreno.

True, but people have repeatedly said there's no precedent, that "we don't do missions for government agencies in previous GTAs".

But we have. And considering the Torino thread takes place partly in SF and partly in LV, there's quite a lot of it. San An has more missions. So it dominates less, but ultimately he's a major string puller up until the end.

• Like 1

SuperGTFan

Oh yeah. Mike Toreno.

True, but people have repeatedly said there's no precedent, that "we don't do missions for government agencies in previous GTAs".

But we have. And considering the Torino thread takes place partly in SF and partly in LV, there's quite a lot of it. San An has more missions. So it dominates less, but ultimately he's a major string puller up until the end.

I smell a threadjacking

SmokesWithCigs

to the thread starter you've been on this site too long for this sh*t and this subject has been touched on million of times find something new to talk about oh and one last thing................................ SHUT UP!!!!!!!

Fuzzknuckles

I smell a threadjacking

Just a passing comment and a response to a rebuttal, not a thread jacking.

I already mentioned that I don't think they're one-dimensional.

Franklin maybe is, more than the other two, but he also seems to progress and develop more than the other two. Michael is consistently bland throughout, but does have the moral flexibility of the gun toting crim balanced by his desire to keep his family together. He's by no means a family man, and his disfunctional family provide not only a counter point to his criminality, but also a reflection of his inability to keep a straight and calm friendship/relationship with anyone. He's a complex character, he's just completely boring.

Trevor is also far from one-dimensional - he's a walking contradiction. The psycho with no morals that upholds his own defined moral code? How do you even, Trevor? He's whacky and crazy and aggressive and calm and sweet and friendly and, like Michael, really f*cking boring.

But boring is not the same as one-dimensional. Franklin is ultimately quite boring as well, but he's the most sympathetic of the three, which instantly makes him the character I want to play as. He seems to feel some remorse. He seems to want to make a better life. He doesn't just insult people when you tab right d-pad... it's those things that make him a marginally more interesting character, IMO.

Happy now, SuperGTFan?

If you even slightly think Trevor is two dimensional you have literally no idea what you're talking about (Not that I was expecting that) and should not even talk about this. This is basically useless spam.

The characters don't really open up unless you have them hang out with each other, or have them get high and listen to their inner thoughts.

They're all pretty much depressed though, and know they're awful people but can't escape it.

HaythamKenway

Franklin is Luis done right. The cause of his downfall is that Rockstar just put him on the bus halfway through and didn't bother to do anything interesting with him after the Vangelico heist. The potentially interesting subplot with Weston's mentorship goes nowhere beyond mere teasing and implications and then he rips Frank off, so F can spend rest of the game complaining to Michael about it, only to turn around and sell M out for Weston in the B ending anyway... brilliant writing.

And I hate to say it, but Shawn Fonteno is certainly a worse actor than the rest of the cast, so that didn't help either. Not his fault, as he wasn't really an actor in the first place, but Franklin just lacks that life, energy, Luke, Ogg, Jay Klaitz as Lester and even Slink Johnson brought to their characters.

Rockstar should have just got rid of Trevor and keep the story about Michael and Franklin. Or they could have kept Trevor just as a non-playable antagonist of Michael. At its core, V is about Michael and his past bleeding into present and Franklin's rise and ambition and difficult trust and challenged loyalty between them. Trevor being playable just threw an unnecessary wrench into the plot. We spend hours running around as Trevor, doing inane stuff and watching character building that essentially amounted to nothing, as, unlike M and F, Trevor has no character development and endings are more significant for M and F anyway (ironically, even the A ending). That time should have been Franklin's.

King Vercetti

Lamar and Lester are two of my favorite characters of all time, and I wish we got to see more of them or even got to play as them at least once. I think all three protags have alot more depth than people realize on first playthroughs, but like I said in the other thread, some of it has to do with Having all three to begin with, and not being given enough time for them to develop properly.

Oh yeah, @Haytham, when the audio leaks first came out before September 17th, I thought based on what we heard that Trevor would be the main antagonist. I was disappointed with the three ending situation because I felt like none of them really make sense for a number of reasons. If they were gonna build up so much animosity for Michael and Trevor, they should have really made it count. The "happy" ending where everyone gets along at the end is the only one I like at all, and even it makes no damn sense.

Edited by King Vercetti