4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

happygrowls

Watch Dogs 2

Zello
13 hours ago, happygrowls said:

Watch Dogs games should not force you to be part of the law.

It works well when you're a hacker specifically taking down corporations or criminal enterprises, unless the story is predictable in that (oh the good guys were bad now u swapped sides!), it won't interest me.

I'd like to play as a white hat hacker. I think Watch dogs should explore every part of the hacking world. Like how GTA has explored every corner of the criminal underworld we've been hired guns, bikers, bank robbers, gangbangers, and mobsters.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was legit you know. Ubisoft have a long track record of leaks like that, probably intentional to gather feedback. The leaks are always around this time of year too.

Sounds pretty interesting to me, WD1 wasn't for me and I didn't play the second but a third game set in London, I could be down for that.

The only thing that I dont like about the leak is that its set in the near future.

Jason
1 minute ago, Zello said:

The only thing that I dont like about the leak is that its set in the near future.

That part in particular actually makes me think it might be legit actually. I think Cyberpunk is just gonna be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to futuristic city based open world games in the near future so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ubisoft got in there early.

Zello

There were elements of that stuff with the Spidertank in WD1 and in WD2 the room with all that futuristic tech. But I didn't think they'd ever go ahead and set the game in the future. I wouldn't mind though.

Hmmm nice bike

I'm not sure if I like the sound of a forced non-lethal approach. I guess they're trying to change things up with having you be part of law enforcement rather than criminal hackers like the previous two games, but even in Britain, I'm sure they'd have guns when infiltrating terrorist groups. Sleeping Dogs even let us use guns in Hong Kong. Maybe they could take a Sleeping Dogs approach (or the approach that the first Watch Dogs concept had before it was changed), where you have guns but they're not easy to come by and you're only allowed a limited amount of ammo to start with.

I like the London setting, but I'll hold off judgement on the futuristic period it could be in until we actually see some of this (provided that this is real). The first two games, despite being set in 2013 and 2016, still had a lot of futuristic elements to them. You could have told me that the games are set 10 or 15 years ahead from those years and I could have believed it. London itself is already kind of a futuristic-looking city in real life in some areas, too, and there's an interesting mix of centuries-old structures and ultra-modern skyscrapers. It could end up looking really cool!

DexMacLeod

I'm still a little iffy on the whole playing as law enforcement part. The main reason people found lethal Marcus so off putting was because he was a generally laid back and fun guy and the killing just didn't mesh with that. 

Playing as a counter terrorist operative feels like it'd have the same effect on the game just in a different way. All the free roam hacking stuff (cars mainly) is what made Watch Dogs 2 so much more fun than the first one but it wouldn't make a dot of sense for anyone in law enforcement to be car surfing or causing random traffic jams in their free time.

Also, while I'm playing as a non-lethal Marcus I'm finding it doesn't really feel that much better. Not killing people kind of makes more sense for the character but it also doesn't make much sense to go into fights against enemies who all seem to have automatic weapons and I'm carrying nothing but a stun gun and a billiard ball. 

Jason
14 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

but it wouldn't make a dot of sense for anyone in law enforcement to be car surfing or causing random traffic jams in their free time.

True if the game was set in the modern day but if it was set in the near future they have a bit of wiggleroom to make that work.

Shadowfennekin

That non-lethal crap better not be true....

Everything else sounds fun

Edited by Shadowfennekin

paulbrock

13 hours ago, Jason said:

I think Cyberpunk is just gonna be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to futuristic city based open world games in the near future so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ubisoft got in there early.

I'm very up for that!  There's also Bethesdas space RPG game Starfield on the way.  Yay for sci fi!

AiraCobra
On 2/11/2019 at 9:01 AM, Laker23 said:

Was hoping it wouldn't be London but I fully expected it, whether this leak is true or not. I'm fully on board either way.

I was also thinking maybe Tokyo, Japan as another good designation

Hmmm nice bike
On 2/11/2019 at 11:38 PM, DexMacLeod said:

Playing as a counter terrorist operative feels like it'd have the same effect on the game just in a different way. All the free roam hacking stuff (cars mainly) is what made Watch Dogs 2 so much more fun than the first one but it wouldn't make a dot of sense for anyone in law enforcement to be car surfing or causing random traffic jams in their free time.

I actually just thought about this in regards to the character also being able to graffiti places according to that post. It's a cool feature, one reminiscent of Saints Row 2's tagging probably, but why would a counter-terrorist operative run around tagging walls in their spare time? It would probably make more sense for her to run around with a gun.

Also, a downside of the game forcing non-lethal on you: do enemies get guns? If so, there goes your one line of defense in case you get spotted and they start coming after you. Instead of being able to just shoot it out and defend yourself if you're caught, you're basically f*cked if they all have guns and you don't. This is actually part of why I don't see this even being real (or if it is real, hopefully only a mechanic that was considered but changed during planning or development).

albanyave

I like the thought of a DC location with someone working at the highest level of government to either thwart a terrorist attack or help to cause one. Is Blume the true enemy? Or are they being used in the most malicious ways to bring on a new world order. Is DedSec powerful enough to bring down the so called terrorist group or the most powerful government in the world. 

Great way to end the trilogy.

DareYokel
On 2/12/2019 at 12:31 AM, Zello said:

It's not a big deal. It allows them to implement technologies that don't yet exist without going full sci-fi. I think that every Splinter Cell was set a few years in the future as well.

DexMacLeod
On 2/11/2019 at 11:53 PM, Jason said:

True if the game was set in the modern day but if it was set in the near future they have a bit of wiggleroom to make that work.

I don't really get how the time period changes things. Unless it's a really weird future where commiting random acts of vandalism has become so popular that it's been legalized and even law enforcement officers have taken up the hobby.

18 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Also, a downside of the game forcing non-lethal on you: do enemies get guns? If so, there goes your one line of defense in case you get spotted and they start coming after you. Instead of being able to just shoot it out and defend yourself if you're caught, you're basically f*cked if they all have guns and you don't. This is actually part of why I don't see this even being real (or if it is real, hopefully only a mechanic that was considered but changed during planning or development).

Yeah, one of the more appealing parts of the Ubisoft formula for me is the ability to tackle missions in different ways. Being able to go from stealth to shoot 'em up, and back to stealth has always been fun for me. It'd be a shame if they took that freedom away.

But who knows, maybe if all of this ends up being true, the near future setting means they'll have invented semi-automatic stun guns or full on machine guns that shoot non-lethal lasers. 

Hmmm nice bike
6 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

But who knows, maybe if all of this ends up being true, the near future setting means they'll have invented semi-automatic stun guns or full on machine guns that shoot non-lethal lasers. 

If that's the case, then it's as if they're hellbent on making sure the game is rated T for Teen