2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

ZZCOOL

getting sick of the keyboard lag when minimized

ZZCOOL

am i alone with this as i find NOTHING about it, when minimizing gta 5 theres a HUGE amount of keyboard lag where it takes like 2 seconds for each key to be registered

co-fi

That's because of high amount of CPU and RAM usage.

K20

That's because of high amount of CPU and RAM usage.

this. happened to me once when i had like 10 tabs on chrome open, youtube playing in background and then switched from gta to youtube. heavy lag

solved by running nothing except V [and smaller ram eating programs like FRAPS]

LoveToGtaForum

Wrong, i have 16 gb ram and a i7-3770, and it still lags

WildBrick142

I don't get this when the game is minimized, surprising considering how low-end my PC is, but I always get that keyboard lag in-game whenever I'm running Fraps (and nothing else).

Edited by WildBrick142

Racuch

same problem :)

Rhayne420

it depends on what program I'm using. Google Chrome has no lag when GTAV is in the background, but typing messages into Steam can have keystroke lag (i don't have the Overlay on for performance)

ThunderBanana

Still not as bad as Saints Row 3 when you minimized it. That game really did NOT like to be minimized for some reason. 5 second delay on keystrokes, and it's not even an intensive game ;-;

Braindawg

8GB DDR2 everything's fine. even Online. WTF is going on my rig is 8 years old and besides the power supply heating up more than the usual the game doesnt seem to affect the coputer at all...

ThunderBanana

8GB DDR2 everything's fine. even Online. WTF is going on my rig is 8 years old and besides the power supply heating up more than the usual the game doesnt seem to affect the coputer at all...

BURN THE WITCH!

bowbra100

I had the same problem and fixed it for me. I run on the highest graphics my old rig can handle with sub par fps. For me that's not causing any problems.
Go to your keyboard properties. (Start -> Control Panel -> Keyboard) an set repeat delay to long as well as repeat rate to slow. Never had the lag issue again.
Hope it helps you, too. ;)

Crystal3lf

i7-4790k, 24GB 1866Mhz RAM here and it only does it if Chrome is open. If I play GTA I always close Chrome beforehand. Find myself using the Steam overlay features 10x more now.

Edited by Crystal3lf

BobDobalina

I still have this issue and it is not only firefox, also windows explorer search for example. Any solutions yet?

Jax765

Only solution is to press alt+enter to switch to windowed mode. That eliminates the keyboard lag. Then just press it again to enter full screen when going back to the game.

Saints Row 3 had this issue too, so I doubt it's a memory/CPU related thing, considering I've played other demanding games that don't have the issue.

Edited by Jax765

BobDobalina

Okay I just found out, that it does not happen when I minimize with windows-button. Really strange. Well I also have good hardware, so I dont think it is because of this.

DentureDynamite
I don't get this when the game is minimized, surprising considering how low-end my PC is, but I always get that keyboard lag in-game whenever I'm running Fraps (and nothing else).

Hmm; I'll have to try this again without Fraps (hasn't been updated in over two years now) just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure keyboard and mouse input for GTA Online has _always_ been laggy for me. The weapon wheel is also still laggy at times for me, requiring two "tries" to get the weapon I want--hardly helpful when you're in a firefight and fast weapon switching means everything.

In general, there's a lot of lag and sluggishness in FP operation and gunfighting. I realize BF3 is a different game, but that's what R* should be working towards--BF3 FP operation and gunplay feels incredibly smooth by comparison.

It's one big reason why I only play deathmatches or LTS unless it's one of my daily objectives.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Braindawg

never had this problem. throw ur pc out da window is only way to fix virus

a1994114a

That feature is purposely implanted to prevent you from playing War Thunder or any other game while waiting for players to join your GTA5 lobby.

Crystal3lf

Nice bump... Even though this isn't an issue anymore.

MrEWhite

Yes it is.

Jax765

Except it is.

krashd

Necro necro man, I want to be a necro man!   Sorry.

Err, yeah, so this is still a thing, glad I'm not the only one.  This bugs the hell out of me when playing online because you get like 60 seconds to alt-tab before the game starts trying to kick you, but it takes more than 60 seconds to type a simple search into a browser because of this damned laggage GTA hauls with it.

And I have a Ryzen with 16GB of DDR4 so it's not a hardware issue, it's a "Rockstar made a whoopsie" issue.  Any fixes known yet?

JuliusCaesar

Why not use steam overlay or similar and use that browser? Is it impossible to add non-steam version of GTA V? Is steam overlay no longer working in the PC version in general?

I'm thinking about playing again but I don't want to if the game has problems added. I'll just play on PS4 if PC is messed up now. I never had a problem when tabbed out or running windows and doing other stuff fwiw.

A.C.M.
Posted (edited)

if you set in graphics settings window mode to "windowed borderless" or windowed you can stay off game as long as you want (15 minutes when jsut standing around or infinite when using game TV) and if the thing you doing is smaller than game screen it puts visible game screen area while still moving on background, alt-tabbing wont close it and it helps especially with dual monitor setup

Edited by A.C.M.

HaRdSTyLe_83
On 7/21/2018 at 6:13 AM, krashd said:

And I have a Ryzen with 16GB of DDR4 so it's not a hardware issue, it's a "Rockstar made a whoopsie" issue.  Any fixes known yet?

it runs fine for others so how is it a Rockstar or hardware that is at fault?

3 hours ago, A.C.M. said:

if you set in graphics settings window mode to "windowed borderless" or windowed you can stay off game as long as you wan

i didn't know that :) thnx

krashd

Well by 'others' you mean most others, not all others, or the internet wouldn't be rife with threads like this one.

AiraCobra
On 7/21/2018 at 1:13 AM, krashd said:

Necro necro man, I want to be a necro man!   Sorry.

Err, yeah, so this is still a thing, glad I'm not the only one.  This bugs the hell out of me when playing online because you get like 60 seconds to alt-tab before the game starts trying to kick you, but it takes more than 60 seconds to type a simple search into a browser because of this damned laggage GTA hauls with it.

Turn your windows from Full Screen or Windowed Borderless and when you ALT-TAB out make sure you just push the screen to the back and not actually close it, If you do this the game still thinks it's open and you'll have the full 16 minutes before it kicks you offline.

What I do is I keep my Chrome Browser or whatever else I might need already open before I start playing so if I need them I just ALT-TAB and when the windows pop up I just click on the window I want and it pops up pushing the game screen behind that one but not actually closing it.