3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT

AgentLemon

So up until a day ago I had no problem playing GTA5 and now for some reason my game keeps crashing and I get ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT as the error code. Anyone know why or what is going on here and if there's a solution to it?

Hi,

What's your graphic Card ?

It's a Directx issue. Maybe your GC isn't compatible with Dx 11.

Try to chnage your DirectX in Graphic Settings (first line). Change to Dx 10.

If your card is compatible for Dx11, then Dx11 is (maybe) corrupted, try to reinstall or update it.

There are some suggestions in this thread in the PC section--- http://gtaforums.com/topic/787227-gta-v-pc-pause-error-fix-err-gfx-d3d-init/

I also just saw this for an unrelated problem-- but it might help (I'm shot gunning here)---

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Ok, im' looking on th internet, and i see that problem is very common with recent graphic cards...

In this file x:\...\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\update\x64\data\errorcodes\amercian.txt

We can see for the [ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT] issue,

[ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT]
Failed Initialization. Please reboot and restart the game. Try reinstalling the game if this persists.

To install the software prerequisites manually (from rockstar), DirectX, Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and the Social Club:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/203458663

And make sure to update your driver to the version (minimum required to run GTA V):

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/205407407

Otherwise, try to reinstall the game (as recommended in the game file in quote).

There are some suggestions in this thread in the PC section--- http://gtaforums.com/topic/787227-gta-v-pc-pause-error-fix-err-gfx-d3d-init/

I also just saw this for an unrelated problem-- but it might help (I'm shot gunning here)---

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Hmm that seems to be a fix for the pause menu crash, mine doesn't crash when i pause it just crashes randomly :(

Ok, im' looking on th internet, and i see that problem is very common with recent graphic cards...

In this file x:\...\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\update\x64\data\errorcodes\amercian.txt

We can see for the [ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT] issue,

[ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT]

Failed Initialization. Please reboot and restart the game. Try reinstalling the game if this persists.

To install the software prerequisites manually (from rockstar), DirectX, Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and the Social Club:

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/203458663

And make sure to update your driver to the version (minimum required to run GTA V):

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/205407407

Otherwise, try to reinstall the game (as recommended in the game file in quote).

All my graphic drivers are up to date (350.12). Should I download the DX fromt hat first link? it says it's only DX 9?

Just to see, try to keep your Graphic settings in DX 11, but to set the dsiplay in "Windowed borderless" (same render than fullscreen).
I had some trouble to make a screenshots (Retail Version of GTA V). My screenshots were black, because (for make very simple) the borders act as a kind of overlay (Even in fullscreen mode, with Win Vista/7/8 there is a invisible border out of our screen). The border doesn't appears on the screenshot (as expected) but the content appears black.
The only one solution for this issue (black screenshots) is to set and run GTA V in "windowed borderless" mode.
DirectX, especially D3D (it also handles the display of the border) conflicts with the Borders and the Game engine.

D3D don't like the overlays (same problem with Fraps with Win8.x for example, which is a software displaying as an overlay and can induce some crashes between D3D, Windows and the Game Engine).
As i said, even in fullscreen mode, "we" have a border out of the monitor/screen (invisible on screen). Then the best, is to choose the "windowed Bordeless" when it's possible (this prevents a lot of conflicts, doesn't consume more resources, and avoids some reccurent crash during a windows switch from Alt + Tab).

I don't know if it's the solution, but you can try this "windowed borderless", it costs nothing (lol) and it avoids many crashes (and performances similar or even better).

All my graphic drivers are up to date (350.12). Should I download the DX fromt hat first link? it says it's only DX 9?

I think it's ok, this link provides the "dxwebsetup.exe", and (usually) it installs (and updates) the Dx 9.x, 10.x, 11.x versions.

Edited by Thalyn

I downloaded the Direct X linked and i ran it, it said a newer or equivalent version is already installed. I'm still crashing all the time and I checked my GPU temps and CPU temps and everything is fine. I don't know what else it could be :/

Soooooo frustrating, I hope they fix this soon.

Same problem after the first patch that was released 2 weeks ago....it occurs randomly, the crashes are 2 hours into gameplay or sometimes 15 minutes into gameplay...

ERR_GFX_DRD_INIT this error...

Same thing here. I even formatted my drive to go to a fresh windows + gta install. Random crashes with this error, sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 3 hours. Will try to pay in windowed mode to see if it helps and will report back.

I just remembered the last thing i changed before these crashes was enabling FXAA in the nvidia control panel. It was set to off by default and turning it on really helped smoothing things out for me but could this be crashing my game?

also I just came across this: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/34i78c/a_fix_for_the_err_gfx_d3d_init_error_hopefully/

I've done it but haven't played it again yet so not sure if it's a good fix. Replies seem positive for it though.

EDIT: Update on this, it's not working. At least not for me. I deleted both the dll's and it still crashed.

Edited by AgentLemon

I have this problem too. If I turn off V-Sync it works for much longer. But it looks crap without V-Sync on.

Yeah without V-sync my screen tears and looks stuttery and terrible.. I don't understand why this has gone on soo long without being hotfixed or patched. Do they not know or are the affected numbers just not great enough for them to care?

The only option that stops this from happening is grass quality, very high or ultra will crash the game for me after X amount of time.

Been playing on normal on normal or high for hours, no crashes at all.

That, coupled with the fact that foliage is such a FPS killer, there has to be a link.

The only option that stops this from happening is grass quality, very high or ultra will crash the game for me after X amount of time.

Been playing on normal on normal or high for hours, no crashes at all.

That, coupled with the fact that foliage is such a FPS killer, there has to be a link.

I already have mine set to normal.

I sent a support ticket into rockstar about this problem, my main concern was whether or not they knew this problem existed and if they were working to fix it and all they did was copy and pasted me a reply along with a link to their troubleshooting section. I've tried everything at this point and it's still happening.

BoltonWanderer

Hi there.

I had this same error, and after testing, the solution for me was to disable the steam service in the notification area.

Hope this helps.

BW

Hi there.

I had this same error, and after testing, the solution for me was to disable the steam service in the notification area.

Hope this helps.

BW

how do i do that?.. I'm pretty nooby sorry

I had this exact issue with the game and I would get this error after every ~3 hours of play.

I fixed it for good and it is very easy to fix, as long as you can follow a simple guide. Remember to back up the registry before doing anything to it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

Now instead of underclocking my GTX 970 I can finally OC it again. Good luck!

Game still crashes regardless of what setting or computer. It will be 1 month and this has not been fixed still...

Just to be clear-- are you referring to the instructions in the first post at the link you referred to (for manually removing NVIDIA residual files/folders/Registry entries)

I only ask because there are 521 other posts in that thread....

Ok I just figured out what fixed this problem for me. I had enabled FXAA in the nvidia console because it was set to off by default. Turning it on enabled FXAA and made the game look a lot smoother for me but since turning it off I haven't crashed once although I'm now stuck with jaggies :/

Is there a way around this or am I going to have to wait until they patch it or a new driver comes out?

• 5 years later...